Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Your superstats are mostly fine. I'd probably use something other than INT simply because it's a very weak stat now, but it really is your call, and it can be useful if you have lots of recharge heals. Sentinel Tree's an excellent choice, but how you use Sentry's specs is very important to how it'll operate.

Cosmic Healers will need lots of flexibility. Mainly you'll want a sorcery aura, a single-target heal, and a multiple-target heal. In my case, I recommend using Celestial Conduit for single targets, and Iniquity with Advantage for multiple. Celestial Conduit, when tapped, puts out a gross amount of healing, though it does have the drawback of a very high energy cost. Could make that third stat END instead.

As for an extra power, I'd probably use something other than a circle. You're going to be moving around a lot as a healer in a cosmic fight. If you did want to go that route, though, Radiant Glory by and large is the best since it doubles as an AoE heal and a self-revive (if you happen to be inside it when dead). The way its recharge and effect works makes it kind of feel like the 'healer' version of Conviction.

Redirected force is ok, but it's another one of those energy hogs. The damage boost is very high, but good luck queueing up an attack to make use of it. In any case, not a very commonly used power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Bluhman posted:

Celestial Conduit, when tapped, puts out a gross amount of healing, though it does have the drawback of a very high energy cost.

I always wonder if the devs are aware of this and if it will get changed. An ability designed to tick once per second can be made to tick twice as fast by mashing the button--probably not intended. With support role and AoPM the energy cost isn't unmanageable, as I recall. Personally, I don't use it because it looks ridiculous hopping around like that, and that amount of healing has never been necessary in my experience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Frenzy still has some use. It hits 5 targets instead of Shreds 3, and has some really unwieldy (imo) advantage and gives you regen and crit.

I am reminded of a build I did where all of my attacks involved stomping on the ground. Surprise it owned.

Dr. Shol, I remember :3:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

There's an event going on right now up until June 2 - turns out the Nightmare Invasion's gone live. You can fight against the horrors of Qliphoth and Elder Worms working together to summon giant skeleton chickens.

Should also note, this content's not nearly as hard as either the giant monster rehashes or TA, and the unlocks include a few bone spike pieces and also valerian scarlet's arm pieces.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also the Void(?) AT, for some giant pile of event currency.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh boy, group-mandatory event content with no queues in a solo-heavy MMO in tyool 2016 :geno:

Well I guess the 3-man stuff's soloable with a good freeform setup, but all that's done is remind me how loving obnoxious stuns and knockbacks are in this game. Definitely fun to spend the first twenty seconds of a fight unable to do anything while you get juggled around like a pinata until resistance maxes out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Any of the tankish ATs can do them, although they're not super fun.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

If you're a good sniper build, you can usually get all the horror kills just by attending a colossus fight from the start. Killing horrors does add to your score, and so long as you do a decent clip of damage to the main boss you're sure to get credit to get the extra tokens. That in mind, your sniper build can then carefully shoot down the portal and nothing else. Usually what tends to happen is that the horrors by the portal end up getting into fights with other nearby mobs - and sometimes themselves.

As a more general tip, most of the summoned horrors also like dropping green powerups on kill, so if you put out a ton of damage, you can heal off of killed enemies faster than the mobs can put out. Though yeah it's risky and the crappy knock situation doesn't help things at all.

Hopefully this week's patch will change some of that around. At the very least the elder worm mobs are still super easy to deal with.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Asimo posted:

Oh boy, group-mandatory event content with no queues in a solo-heavy MMO in tyool 2016 :geno:

Well I guess the 3-man stuff's soloable with a good freeform setup, but all that's done is remind me how loving obnoxious stuns and knockbacks are in this game. Definitely fun to spend the first twenty seconds of a fight unable to do anything while you get juggled around like a pinata until resistance maxes out.

Teams for those 2 dailies have been forming pretty quick every time I log in. Everyone wants to get it done, and it takes 10-15 minutes max. Soloable stuff would be preferable, but it's not proving to be a real problem as it is.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah somehow, despite all traditional logic that'd dictate so, Zone has generally been extremely helpful during this event. People will ask for teams and call out Colossus locations pretty frequently. And inversely I haven't seen a toxic conversation about politics or religion since the update has come out :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Did they drop subscriptions or something? The link to the page detailing the difference between free and paid accounts just redirects to a news page now.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
No, they just rearranged their website several times so most of the older links go nowhere now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My theory is whenever they reorganize the web page they immediately fire the dude that did it and hire somebody else/promote a guy from 1st line support.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, neither Cryptic or PWE are really... good at web stuff. Although I think it's more PWE in this case, they totally retooled all the game sites to look identical for Arc, so that killed all the original flavor for the cryptic game sites and broke a lot of old links.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rainbow Flight is free until tomorrow come advance the gay agenda with me

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Flesh Forge posted:

Rainbow Flight is free until tomorrow come advance the gay agenda with me

Stopped being free at 10AM pdt on Monday sadly. It's "on sale" at full price now.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's the second time it's been up for free, so they'll probably do it again in the future if anyone's still wanting to pick it up without spending anything.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The tailor imploded

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10019913

To keep it brief, the general things that this update entails include:
  • More shades of grey and a new column of purple; color palette rearranged
  • Less categories from the drop-down menus, but way more part combinations are now possible. Like an insane amount.
  • Temporary free tailor usage for like a week or something?
  • Some category rearrangement: Belts are now a lower body item, while the arm accessories, bracers, and gloves are all on their own tab. Also, no more long gloves category means you can wear a short glove with a long glove.
  • Tons of invisible limb options everywhere
  • Only bad thing; old costume saves are now broken and will only load somewhat correctly. Thankfully costumes on your characters still work properly and can be modified.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yeah, that seems like a huge benefit. Having to find the one thing you wanted in a billion variations of head type etc was pretty bad.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That's a major QOL change for a game mostly known for its costume stuff. Really great they did that.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

There's an event going on at the moment for flag related flight powers. Basically if you want one of the powers you'll have to be doing the daily quest every day starting today. You need 400 tokens for a flight power and you get 35 from the quest and 5 dropped from the boss related to the quest. It's a pretty quick quest thankfully.

I've been told the patriot tokens drop from enemies rarely as well, but haven't confirmed how frequent that is.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blorknorg posted:

There's an event going on at the moment for flag related flight powers. Basically if you want one of the powers you'll have to be doing the daily quest every day starting today. You need 400 tokens for a flight power and you get 35 from the quest and 5 dropped from the boss related to the quest. It's a pretty quick quest thankfully.

I've been told the patriot tokens drop from enemies rarely as well, but haven't confirmed how frequent that is.

Dunno if it has been patched or not, but Patriot Bags had a chance to drop Patriot Tokens frequently, and they drop from enemies.

Ofc that means grab your vehicle and head over to Vibora Bay cemetery for about 150-200 tokens per hour easy.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Felt the urge to play around with the character creator after a few years away...

Its not possible to run a decent single or dual-pistols only Freeform build, is it?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Moreau posted:

Its not possible to run a decent single or dual-pistols only Freeform build, is it?

Single, no. But dual pistols only builds are still viable. Up until not too long ago they were about the best thing you could have - got nerfed a bit but not as into the ground as some people think, at least in my opinion.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

If you want to try single pistol, try Gageteering. All the powers are charge powers, but Experimental Blaster can do pretty amazing amounts of damage to a single target. I personally paired it with the stealth toggle from MA because it adds damage, ignores some resistance, and also lowers charge time. And Experimental Blaster has a chance to add an extra hit if you charge it for one second. With faster charge times, you get more of a charge in for 1 second AND if you pair it with Death Ray, you might get 3 hits total on a Master Villain or higher. The drawback to Death Ray is that it doubles the chance to teddy-bear something.

UGH every time I talk about this game I want to start playing it again.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The powers that animate with two pistols are all pretty strong, but there's only ~ 4 of them. You'll need to accessorize.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

More like there's only 4 worth using. But it's entirely possible to build your character around those abilities; Dual-pistols doesn't require a lot of help to get working very well. Even just Burst Shot + Two-Gun Mojo works because they do double-duty as AoE/Single-target since they hit up to 3 things in a row and increase damage the fewer things you're hitting. There's not many situations that can't be solved by backpedaling and just using those two powers against standard groups of enemies.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Bluhman posted:

More like there's only 4 worth using. But it's entirely possible to build your character around those abilities; Dual-pistols doesn't require a lot of help to get working very well. Even just Burst Shot + Two-Gun Mojo works because they do double-duty as AoE/Single-target since they hit up to 3 things in a row and increase damage the fewer things you're hitting. There's not many situations that can't be solved by backpedaling and just using those two powers against standard groups of enemies.

Lead Tempest is better for just indiscriminately murdering everything within 50 ft though.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'll look into grabbing those, thanks.

I'm pushing into the low 20s now, and it really is a terrible shame that this game is so aggressively, terribly bad. Then again, it is Cryptic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm actually really surprised they're adding a new Level 45 area or whatever. I assumed this game was basically coasting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wait, really? I don't exactly follow news for this since there hasn't been real content in, uh, a year or more I guess? That sort of came out of nowhere, ChampO was definitely the poster child for "maintenance mode". :raise:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Asimo posted:

Wait, really? I don't exactly follow news for this since there hasn't been real content in, uh, a year or more I guess? That sort of came out of nowhere, ChampO was definitely the poster child for "maintenance mode". :raise:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10103163-champions-online%3A-shadow-of-destruction-on-pts%21

I didn't see anything about level 45 but yeah weird to have them follow up on an even that kind of happened in may.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I'm actually really surprised they're adding a new Level 45 area or whatever. I assumed this game was basically coasting.

The game is basically coasting. The new zone is basically Let's Reuse All The Assets From Those Adventure Things No One Plays Ever: The Zone.

I'd be very surprised if large sections of the zone geometry (if not the whole thing) aren't lifted wholesale from the one giant map that's part of the Demonflame adventure pack, the one which already got reused for Aftershock so why not do it again cause no one cared the first time apparently. It's almost certainly the whole reason this is Magic and Qlipthoth yet again instead of one of the giant piles of other things they could've used from the tabletop game's source material.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They really should have put the skull level system in everywhere and just quit loving caring about leveled content. Such a pity that all the nifty leveling zone content gets totally ignored even by new people.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
That's cause 99% of it is just badly done and now quite outdated pop culture references, and the remaining 1% is generic MMO kill 10 bears bring me 15 bear asses quests.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bluhman posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10103163-champions-online%3A-shadow-of-destruction-on-pts%21

I didn't see anything about level 45 but yeah weird to have them follow up on an even that kind of happened in may.

I've heard it's all Level 45 enemies and such from people who've been on the test server.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

General Maximus posted:

That's cause 99% of it is just badly done and now quite outdated pop culture references, and the remaining 1% is generic MMO kill 10 bears bring me 15 bear asses quests.

Eh it's not really any worse than any other MMO out there and better than a lot of them, the thing is you level out of the missions wayyyyyyy too quickly for how they're scaled and really there's no big reason to do them in sequence anyway, most of the story arcs are totally independent of each other. It's at its worst in Vibora Bay when even if you start the unlock absolutely as soon as it will let you, you're still gonna be 40 before you even get a quarter or less through the zone content and it's all 37-39.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

Eh it's not really any worse than any other MMO out there and better than a lot of them, the thing is you level out of the missions wayyyyyyy too quickly for how they're scaled and really there's no big reason to do them in sequence anyway, most of the story arcs are totally independent of each other. It's at its worst in Vibora Bay when even if you start the unlock absolutely as soon as it will let you, you're still gonna be 40 before you even get a quarter or less through the zone content and it's all 37-39.

Which is a blessing, because Vibora Bay has the worst instanced dungeons in the game. "Hey, remember all those horrible same-y warehouse runs from City of Heroes?"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah they're made worse by usually having a kill all requirement and being loving gigantic. Also practically every spawn has a travel power disable guy, really kind of a dumb design decision there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

really kind of a dumb design decision there
:crypticgames:

And yeah I'm getting kind of tired of the dumb qilthoppic or however you spell it magic stuff, and Maximus is probably right that it's being reused so much because they already have a shitload of assets for it. I've been busy with other stuff so I haven't really had interest in checking the PTR, but how well this plays out depends on what they do with it really. STO has two different types of battle zone things, the actual "battle zones" that involve capturing control points on the map and leading up to a boss encounter that are actually genuinely fun, and "adventure zones" that are just generic open world quest stuff that tends to have poo poo rewards. I'm going to guess this is going to be more like the latter from the writeup, but I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.