Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

muskets posted:

I have an on and off project doing Car Wars in 6mm, because 6mm cars fit on standard car wars counter sizes, and it means when I finally build an arena it'll be able to be SWEET. Maybe I'll do a highway, too.

Matchbox scale Car Wars looks rad as hell, but 6mm is really the only scale you can reasonable pull off an arena or anything more than a straight and a few curves. Where are you getting your vehicles from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

what scale are matchbox cars by the way?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They vary, but generally around 1/60 - 1/78.

Interestingly, Car Wars 6e was just announced at gencon - introduces factions and HO scale cars.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Interestingly, Car Wars 6e was just announced at gencon - introduces factions and HO scale cars.

Finally I can convert an insanely expensive model train into something from Mad Max without looking like a weirdo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

They vary, but generally around 1/60 - 1/78.

More info: http://www.tribality.com/2016/08/10/gencon-2016-steve-jackson-games-car-wars-6th-edition/

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Matchbox scale Car Wars looks rad as hell, but 6mm is really the only scale you can reasonable pull off an arena or anything more than a straight and a few curves. Where are you getting your vehicles from?

Irregular Miniatures do a set each of regular and post-apoc style cars, though their site is beyond prehistoric - at least it has photos of the models on it, but it looks like it was made in Dreamweaver 20 years ago and has no actual cart system. I had to email them to get them to send me a paypal invoice, if I remember right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DseCgOYvzM

Someone let Ronnie out

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

TKIY posted:

Apparently this is out in September:

I have approximately 4 trillion of the Wargames Factory samurai which don't look half bad, so I'm excited for this for sure. Kingdoms of Men are pretty good, but interested to see what a more specific list might bring in terms of benefits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/164869117/halfling-skeletons?ref=nav_search

In case anyone wanted to make their undead army more diverse and representative of the world

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/164869117/halfling-skeletons?ref=nav_search

In case anyone wanted to make their undead army more diverse and representative of the world

Oh my god they're adorable :allears:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So I somehow didn't read an email from Mantic about the Walking Dead Kickstarter, and completely missed the SERIOUSLY SORT OUT YOUR GOD drat SHIPPING OR YOU MIGHT NOT GET YOUR TOYS date.

I sent them an email explaining that I'm a moron and they've said it's alright, glad it's finally sorted, I'll still get my poo poo sent etc. Mantic are a Cool and Good company.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've finally gotten around to basing my Salamanders.

I'm probably going to get some shrubs or static grass for the last effect.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
There's been some chat about trying KoW at the local shop where the tiny mans are played. So, I ran a couple demos last night. No one who showed interest on the local FB group showed up but I did do a demo for one of the AOS/40k regulars and I could literally see the epiphany when everything clicked for him and he realized how clean and unobtrusive the rule set is.

He kept repeating how he already was playing too many games but he'll crack.

I AM CARVALLO fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Hell, he already have the minis. Just magnetize them to a template for whichever size he wants.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
Yeah my next step is to make some posts in the FB group about how you already have the models, you just need to do some trivial work and you more than likely have most of an army ready to go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warhammer World has a competitor now

quote:

Mantic's Gaming Hall & Shop is now open...
We have been busy preparing our own gaming hall and shop here at Mantic HQ and would like to invite you all to visit!
We have the store, gaming facilities and we are launching a Monthly Gaming Club too.
Mantic Monthly Gaming Club – Saturday 3rd September, 10 - 4:00 pm
Our Monthly Gaming Club will be the first Saturday of each month, right here at Mantic HQ:
Gaming hall with a range of tables and scenery for you to play on
The Mantic shop, ready for you to recruit more troops for your forces, with exclusive offers and show only miniatures
Demo’s available, including The Walking Dead miniatures game
Free tea & coffee
We hope to run all kinds of events, campaigns and activities for both regular club members and those making a trip to Mantic HQ
The launch event is FREE, there will be a small charge in the future (to be confirmed). This will go towards maintaining and adding to the gaming boards & scenery range, as well as tea and coffee and club events.

Planning your own event:

Looking for the perfect venue for your Mantic Games event?¹ You can also hire our Gaming Hall for a reasonable cost, or even free.
Hire will include gaming tables and scenery² and free tea & coffee
We’ll promote your event via the Mantic Games Facebook page and blog
There is space to have 20 Kings of War/Warpath tables, or 40 DreadBall/Deadzone tables, without feeling too crowded
We will open the shop for part of your event and make our shop only offers and exclusive show only miniatures available
On occasion, we’ll also run demos of our latest games
Hall hire for Mantic Games events is free
If you wish to hire the hall for any non-Mantic Games events, the cost is £100 per day. Please note we won’t promote non-Mantic Games events

Come and visit:

We love getting to meet our fans, so if you have some downtime during the week – or are visiting Nottingham (Mon-Fri) feel free to give us a visit:
We’ll give you a tour of Mantic HQ, you’ll get to meet the gang and see the latest projects we’re working on (and of course gain valuable bragging rights)
Pop into the Mantic shop and get your next project started:
We have special shop only offers available on all our games³
You can pick up some of our exclusive show only miniatures
If we don’t have something in stock, give us 5 minutes and we’ll grab it from the warehouse for you
Make it a day of gaming
We are happy to set-up some gaming tables for your group to battle on⁴
Get in touch to check the best time to visit and let us know you’re coming, we welcome visitors at any time, but it can get hectic at times, and we want to make sure you have a great time. You’ll want to plan an hour for the tour and shop visit, plus extra time if you want to stay and game. Contact details here. (Link to website)

¹Please not you can only use the Battle Bunker for events involving Mantic’s range of games
²We have a limited range of scenery and boards available, you may need to provide extra depending on the size of your event
³ Shop offers will regularly change and will be explained on the day of your visit
⁴Mantic’s range of games only, you will need to provide your own models and gaming kit

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They have really got to hire a copy-editor. Not just for their books, but for their press releases and blog posts. It's super embarrassing how often I find typos on their site.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Atlas Hugged posted:

They have really got to hire a copy-editor. Not just for their books, but for their press releases and blog posts. It's super embarrassing how often I find typos on their site.

(link to job opening)

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, the latest post about a sale has containing spelled 'conatining'. It's not a big deal but it's just weird since almost any word processor out there would have caught that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Over the weekend I had a chance to get in a game with the sci-fi corridor set I got from kickstarter a couple of years ago. I saw that I could set it up with a grid that would be compatible with the cube system in Deadzone, and it worked perfectly. I now have a bunch of corridors, junctions and rooms that I can configure into a different layout every time I play it.

The first layout was like a sort of figure-8 with another room off to the side, and a gap in one of the corridors that models with jetpacks can jump over.

The third image here shows the second layout we played, where we each started in one of the rooms on the left side. The idea was you could have a slow, hard slog fighting over the small joining corridor, or you could send some models the long way round to get the drop on your opponent. I sent a couple of fast units off to the side in a feint, and when my opponent had few models on his side of the doors I rushed them and flamethrowered the squats on the other side. Unfortunately it turned out that opening the Dwarf Door was a bad idea and my orks soon found themselves being pummeled by angry, flaming Brokkrs. I guess I had advanced too deep and too greedily.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Awesome batrep and terrain!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

beautiful setup - I love the wall system, it looks more cyberpunky and less narrow space church. It could easily be a series of alleys in some kind of neotokyo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Who makes that corridor system? I think I love it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mate some progress in my Abyssal Dwarf army :toot:

First off, Immortal Guard!

Current WIP is a Supreme Iron-Caster on Great Winged Halfbreed.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Those are sweet. How are the lipless bases for transporting? I'm going to multibase, but I'm worried that not having the lip will make them harder to pick up/move around and will make the basing prone to chipping.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spacegoat posted:

Those are sweet. How are the lipless bases for transporting? I'm going to multibase, but I'm worried that not having the lip will make them harder to pick up/move around and will make the basing prone to chipping.

I haven't transported them yet, but since I seal everything with gloss and then two coats of matte, I don't imagine it'll chip any time soon. For regimental bases I don't have a problem picking them up/moving them round with one hand, but I imagine anything larger would be an issue.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Naturally I'm moving apartments and traveling in October. Let the grand adventure of trying to get my Warpath pledge begin.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Atlas Hugged posted:

Naturally I'm moving apartments and traveling in October. Let the grand adventure of trying to get my Warpath pledge begin.

Oh god. And I'm scared that I made a change to my selections via email and am gonna end up screwed.

Mantic is a tough company to love.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

I got talked into a trip to the US in October.

I knew it was going to get delayed to October the minute I agreed to the trip. Somehow it'll show up right as I'm taking off, it's gonna be great.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

moths posted:

Who makes that corridor system? I think I love it.

It's from this long-finished Kickstarter. His website is down and his facebook hasn't been updated in over a year so I don't know if he's continuing to sell any more of these corridor sets. It took him a long time a long time to finish making and shipping all the sets from the Kickstarter and postage to Australia/NZ was apparently a killer.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Me and 2 mates have made a little competition, we each have to make a 1250 point Kings of War army spending less than £20. Trays, hobby materials etc aren't included, but we can't use any miniatures or bitz that we already own and we have to keep receipts. Also no ebay.

So today I saw a board game for a tenner that has a pile of romance-of-the-seven-kingdoms minis in it. Are there any Kings of War armies that I could use 42 soldiers like this

and 2 miniatures that are like dudes in robes to use as the bulk of the force?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Complete Deadzone newbie here.

A thrift store had some Faction Starters for 10 bucks and I bought the Marauders and Enforcers pack.
Rebs looked messy, spindly Alien guys didn't appeal to me, demons were boring, don't like walkers, they didn't have anything else.
These weren't the $40 starters on Mantic's website, but smaller. Found them on the Kickstarter page.
They came with a bunch of cards.

Looks like currently there is a second edition and I checked that free trial rulebook, saw that points value, etc. changed from the cards. It wasn't just stuff being added, but existing stuff was changed too.

Are the cards useless?
Is there a way to get the Marauders list with stats/points without buying the main rulebook?
Anything I need to know before painting up these guys? Are there trap options?
How big are games usually, how much are the KS Faction Starters roughly? I saw 100 point lists using just 5 Marauders and Enforcers, is 100 pts the norm or just the introduction?
Isn't the Enforcer Captain crazy expensive, pointwise?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Me and 2 mates have made a little competition, we each have to make a 1250 point Kings of War army spending less than £20. Trays, hobby materials etc aren't included, but we can't use any miniatures or bitz that we already own and we have to keep receipts. Also no ebay.

So today I saw a board game for a tenner that has a pile of romance-of-the-seven-kingdoms minis in it. Are there any Kings of War armies that I could use 42 soldiers like this

Any of the human-centric factions could work, most likely Kingdom of Men. You could really cheap it out and use Regiments of 11 guys or 21 in a horde.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BioTech posted:

Complete Deadzone newbie here.

A thrift store had some Faction Starters for 10 bucks and I bought the Marauders and Enforcers pack.
Rebs looked messy, spindly Alien guys didn't appeal to me, demons were boring, don't like walkers, they didn't have anything else.
These weren't the $40 starters on Mantic's website, but smaller. Found them on the Kickstarter page.
They came with a bunch of cards.

Looks like currently there is a second edition and I checked that free trial rulebook, saw that points value, etc. changed from the cards. It wasn't just stuff being added, but existing stuff was changed too.

Are the cards useless?
Is there a way to get the Marauders list with stats/points without buying the main rulebook?
Anything I need to know before painting up these guys? Are there trap options?
How big are games usually, how much are the KS Faction Starters roughly? I saw 100 point lists using just 5 Marauders and Enforcers, is 100 pts the norm or just the introduction?
Isn't the Enforcer Captain crazy expensive, pointwise?

Sounds like those are the starter packs from the first KS, yes.

1. Unfortunately the cards are useless yes, they did away with them in 2nd edition, the game received quite a large rework. I've got a bunch of spare, unopened, and useless decks now, plus opened decks I used once or twice at most.
2. Common army building software should have points/stats for Deadzone 2E
3. I haven't had the chance to play 2E yet, but I doubt there are trap options, that was part of the point behind the rework.
4. Games are 100-300 points, the original Enforcer starter is, by my reckoning, exactly 220 points, and the Marauder is 182 points. Enforcers have the lowest or second lowest (after the Forge fathers) model count in Deadzone, Plague and Veermyn the highest, everyone else in between. The points limit can be expanded by playing on double (4x2') or quadruple (4x4') playing matts, if you want a more extensive, but longer game.
5. The Peacekeeper Captain is 48pts all on his own

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 27, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Kingdoms of men.

Buy some historicals, they are notoriously cheap compared to fantasy minis.

Or Varangur, because the army is so elite, you'll need less models.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was discussed a while ago in the thread, but the general consensus is that it is better to run a horde of Naiad Ensnarers with a couple regiments of Salamanders than the other way around right? It seems like ensnarers make slightly better anvils than salamanders in large groups...

I'm thinking for a intro level 1000 point army:

2x20 Regiment of Salamanders
1x40 Horde of Ensnarers
1x20 Regiment of Heartpiercers
1x5 Troop Centaur Bray-Striders
1 Druid (cause it's a druid in a nature army!)
1 Naiad Stalker

This should come to 925, which gets me some points for upgrades/spells/a ranged weapon for the Stalker. Since I have a Lizardman army I will be converting it should be fairly cheap to buy the Niads, Centaurs, and druids.

I could always replace the Centaur with a Hydra or Beast of Nature.... It shouldn't be a problem to use some Lizardmen beasts for it!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wrapped up the bulk of my 10mm Ratkin forces.

Still to go: a shitload of tunnel slaves and two Shredders I'm converting.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the word on Warpath & Firefight? I've not played with any of the alpha/beta/whatever rules or really paid any attention to the project at all since the Kickstarter was hot off the presses.

I've got like 265 Euro worth of stuff that is apparently being shipped in October, and I'm still on the fence about just selling it all. As tempting as it is to try to scout out potential buyers now, I kinda want to at least get an idea of the quality of the game before I decide.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 31, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

What's the word on Warpath & Firefight? I've not played with any of the alpha/beta/whatever rules or really paid any attention to the project at all since the Kickstarter was hot off the presses.

I've got like 265 Euro worth of stuff that is apparently being shipped in October, and I'm still on the fence about just selling it all. As tempting as it is to try to scout out potential buyers now, I kinda want to at least get an idea of the quality of the game before I decide.

Some of the models have been released with the new Deadzone stuff so on that front from what we've seen is really, really good. I have no reason to think the other models will, quality wise, be any worse. Though I think the GCPS designs are dumb.

For rules, I can't speak from experience, but from what I read Warpath is not a game I want to play at 28mm and Firefight looked under cooked. I'll give it a fair shake because I have 3 battle forces coming, but I am making slow progress on my "Generic Spacemans" project and that may end up being my go to Scifi rules set in my gaming group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
There hasn't been a post on the Firefight Beta forum since July 29, or any update from Mantic since the end of May. That should give you an idea of how few fucks they give about that project. Even the diehards have given up.