Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

StashAugustine posted:

serious question: what do evangelicals think they'll get out of trump? do they not realize he's a massive loving conman and they're the easiest goddamn marks?

For some, repealing the Johnson Amendment. For most, they don't give a poo poo who the Republican candidate is, they support him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
yeah johnson amendment repeal is his evangelical policy bone

501(c)(3)s in general would also be included in that

mannerup fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Shageletic posted:

I think you might want to watch the recent series of documentaries put out by the venerable channel Starz...

lmbo

rip Andy Whitfield :sigh:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Mirthless posted:

seriously there is no reason to do this in 2016 unless you have a serious, serious need to be a doctor or lawyer

as far as I can tell my lack of degree has made me no more or less competitive in my career where I live. The only places it would make a difference are places too competitive for me to ever succeed.

Sort of. I don't worry too much about college with quality consultants, but when we do data science placements....

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

fullsail is a scam for-profit 'university', getting an undergrad degree is still generally a positive expectation plan if you get it from a real university (yes, even in the humanities)

Realistically, though, are those couple of years of college going to weigh more on your resume than two years of relevant job experience? My own experience says no, but I live and work in Oklahoma, so. :shrug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm surprised it's even that clo...

Oh, Gravis. NM.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

WampaLord posted:

:psyduck: I can't believe I'm hearing someone advocate for churches to be able to offer political endorsements without losing their tax exempt status.

Like, it's totally minor on the "crazy poo poo Trump has said" scale, but it's still :psyduck:.

LBJ took petty revenge on a nonprofit and somehow that's an unimpeachable law to you? What is the logical argument for muzzling the speaking rights of tax-exempt organizations?

Don't get me wrong, I usually have a knee-jerk reaction against religion, but I don't see the logic here.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

serious question: what do evangelicals think they'll get out of trump? do they not realize he's a massive loving conman and they're the easiest goddamn marks?

Their hope is that Trump will be a hands-off guy who delegates. Pence is an evangelical young earth creationist. With no strong leadership the FRC and other groups are hoping they can lean on his cabinet, or just outright stuff his cabinet with crazies.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Wikkheiser posted:

The assorted evangelical preachers and pastors endorsing Trump are also conmen and they want in on it.

Yeah, this is the important thing to remember.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am taking out loans so i can be a public school teacher so i mean really i'm the dumbest

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Did you really just threaten 18 an hour as the worst possible scenario, if so, lol good

I have 80k college debt, taking 60k more for law, was waiting tables with my college econ degree

That extra debt seems fine by me

The best part about your character is economics degree. It's the masterstroke that makes your evaluation of acceptable debt joke really hit. Pray tell, what's the 5 year employment rate for your bargain school?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

LBJ took petty revenge on a nonprofit and somehow that's an unimpeachable law to you? What is the logical argument for muzzling the speaking rights of tax-exempt organizations?

Don't get me wrong, I usually have a knee-jerk reaction against religion, but I don't see the logic here.

If you want to mix politics and religions, that's fine, but you don't get to be tax exempt. Put your money where your mouth is.

Yet, surprisingly, almost no church actually has the balls to do this.

They aren't "muzzled" they're just cowards.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Schnorkles posted:

Sort of. I don't worry too much about college with quality consultants, but when we do data science placements....

Well there is always going to be jobs you absolutely need an education for! Just, for the run of the mill unskilled-skilled jobs that dominate the white collar fields these days, I don't really see the point. We're way, way past the days where an accountant or technician can only learn the skills they need through an intense degree program (just like we're way, way past the days where an accountant or technician could ever pay for their degree on the money they make from their job)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

StashAugustine posted:

As long as Trump says the right anti-gay things that they want to hear (picking Pence was a good start in their opinions), then they'll vote for the incarnation of Mammon without ever realizing the :ironicat: of it all. And as noted:

Wikkheiser posted:

The assorted evangelical preachers and pastors endorsing Trump are also conmen and they want in on it.

thrawn527 posted:

For some, repealing the Johnson Amendment. For most, they don't give a poo poo who the Republican candidate is, they support him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cams posted:

i am taking out loans so i can be a public school teacher so i mean really i'm the dumbest

At least your loans will be forgiven after 10 years and you won't owe tax on the forgiven amount.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

cams posted:

Are you loving serious after calling me dumb are you serious right now

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Money Gospel enthusiasts are ATMs for hucksters both political and spiritual.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mirthless posted:

Realistically, though, are those couple of years of college going to weigh more on your resume than two years of relevant job experience? My own experience says no, but I live and work in Oklahoma, so. :shrug:

For some jobs it can take the place of experience, though. As in, it can solve the paradox of "I need experience to get experience" when finding your first real job. I know I wouldn't have gotten my first job in Software Development without my degree in Computer Engineering. Sure, there are other ways to get your foot in the door. But a college degree proves that you can complete a college program. As in, it shows you can dedicate yourself to something longterm, and are trainable. From there, they can train you to do what they want you to do.

No idea how true this is outside of software development, and yes like I said there are other ways to get in (get a job with someone you know, have them train you, etc.). But it's a "I can hire you for our entry level stuff" sign on a resume for my field, I've found.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

cams posted:

Don't be a schoolteacher, schoolteachers are going to be poo poo on by every politician and pundit from here to Christmas for not producing miracles out of nothing. Go into corporate training or something like that, make some real money and deal with 1/10th the poo poo.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

God I just realized he talks like Jimmy from South Park doing standup.

"Did ya see this... did you hear about this..."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why are churches tax exempt?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Trump?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

evangelicals like the the founders of isis line more than the home builders meeting earlier

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mango sentinel posted:

Ostensibly because they provide a public service.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mango sentinel posted:

Those are donations, friend, not highly incentivized and incredibly expensive salvation and feel good programs.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mango sentinel posted:

you would tax God? blasphemy....

*counts wad of cash under cleric robes* :grin:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Oiled and Ready posted:

More public school teachers benefits society

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oiled and Ready posted:

The Catholic Church is the biggest land-owner in America. I don't have a problem with them exercising their free speech.

I have a problem with the very concept of tax-exempt status for religious organizations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mirthless posted:

empirical data says yes, though (at least for 4-year degrees, idk about associate's). there are a lot of jobs that simply will not hire anyone without a BA (or experience that's hard to get without the BA), and this is more true for higher-paying jobs (and most of these jobs don't require any *specific* BA)

this is on average, so it doesn't mean that you personally would have done better if you'd gotten a degree or anything. it's not a good idea to over-rely on personal experience when answering questions like these

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mango sentinel posted:

Like an hour ago Rush was talking about how Trump's 2nd amendment comment was taken out of context, but Hillary's rhetoric is actually gonna get Trump killed. He repeatedly cited Scott Adams through this segment.

He's died a thousand deaths over the last decade or so but this is the one I like best.

Edit; now I'm having an internal debate over this or the time when his producer had to save him from himself when he started talking about his love for the Lords Resistance Army.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 11, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently today is Double Down Day.

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/763815314261962753

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

mango sentinel posted:

The power to tax is the power to destroy. It's a grand bargain of separation of church and state. We don't tax churches and churches stay out of politics.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mirthless posted:

Well there is always going to be jobs you absolutely need an education for! Just, for the run of the mill unskilled-skilled jobs that dominate the white collar fields these days, I don't really see the point. We're way, way past the days where an accountant or technician can only learn the skills they need through an intense degree program (just like we're way, way past the days where an accountant or technician could ever pay for their degree on the money they make from their job)
Yeah it depends on where you live and your industry. And different cities have different cultures. I have a friend who had trouble finding a job in Austin because she had taken a year off to raise her kid. She went "gently caress this and gently caress these assholes" and moved to Reno, got a decent job immediately.

And with the aforementioned law profession, there are a lot of degree fields that are too saturated. And then there's the issue that not everyone is cut out for taking on loads of debt and going to college and working in those fields. A lot of people just plain ain't. Not everyone can be a software engineer.

Higher education is caught in a contradiction because it's trying to appeal to the broad masses of people, which it isn't really cut out to do. And while the Democrats are clearly the better of the two parties, the emphasis on ("egalitarian") higher education for all (while sound in theory) isn't going to lead to a sustainable middle-class life for all when most of the growth industries -- according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics -- do not require higher education. For instance retail jobs far and away exceed software in growth. But those jobs pay poo poo and usually don't provide anything in the way of benefits or profit sharing.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 11, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

"I really haven't started yet."

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

reince: no

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lmao

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Subterfrugal posted:

The best part about your character is economics degree. It's the masterstroke that makes your evaluation of acceptable debt joke really hit. Pray tell, what's the 5 year employment rate for your bargain school?

Full time long term (BAR passage) listed at 61.7%. This does include paid clerkships that last at least one year, but that appears to be only 7% of that 61.7%.

An additional 12% underemployed, the rest either failed the BAR or got hosed I guess.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
What I've learned from this thread:

Don't go to law school
Don't be a public school teacher
Short Soybean Futures
Profit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So much for my post linking presidential voting and down-ballot races (I posted that here, right?):

https://twitter.com/PoliticoScott/status/763792785057148928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Oiled and Ready posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least your loans will be forgiven after 10 years and you won't owe tax on the forgiven amount.
and the maximum i will owe after my 2.5 years of school is 35 grand, which is firmly less than i'll make in my first year. taking out loans to be a teacher is a bad idea because teachers get treated like poo poo, my plan is pretty fiscally responsible.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Don't be a schoolteacher, schoolteachers are going to be poo poo on by every politician and pundit from here to Christmas for not producing miracles out of nothing. Go into corporate training or something like that, make some real money and deal with 1/10th the poo poo.
eh if i want to get out eventually after my debts are paid i can do that. i want to serve the public and this is the best way in to public service for me.

plus these days when you tell people you want to teach public school, they act like you just volunteered to go back in time and fight for the union in the civil war. i like that.

• Locked thread