Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
right. so how many gyros is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
gas

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

s.i.r.e. i have to wonder if you're trolling or just a moron

I'm honest about the control ideas and how the gamepad doesn't bring nearly anything new to the table and no one even cared to use it, hell, Nintendo themselves didn't even get clever with it save for Nintendoland.

The rest though I just love rubbing it in that the Wii U was a flop.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Video games are fun. But what's even more fun than playing video games is the 2560 CUDAŽ cores that you can only find on NVIDIA’s new flagship graphics card, the GEFORCEŽ GTX 1080, now with PASCAL, the world’s most advanced GPU architecture!

Come on bro, the Titan XP just released, that's the new flagship.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

Here is a reminder of correct opinions:
Waggle controls suck
A second screen accoplishes nothing that a single big screen doesn't do better.

Motion controls are great. I love gyroscopic arrow aiming in both the 3DS and Wii U Zelda games and I don't want to go back to aiming with a stick.

A second screen is great. Looks like you never played The World Ends With You.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

So not just an rear end in a top hat, but a comically misguided one.

To whom are you rubbing it in? Do you think we are all the uncles that work at Nintendo? Do you think we all had a financial stake in the WiiU's commercial success? From my perspective as a Video Game Player, the WiiU was not a flop at all because I have had many hours of great fun on it and I feel it was well worth it's price. That is the only real measure of success that should matter to the end user.

Can we rub it in to you now that many people are very happy with the thing that you seem to have so strongly identified with hating? You just seem like a sad, possibly dumb, person. Or a troll, in which case, welp.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Trent posted:

To whom are you rubbing it in? Do you think we are all the uncles that work at Nintendo? Do you think we all had a financial stake in the WiiU's commercial success? From my perspective as a Video Game Player, the WiiU was not a flop at all because I have had many hours of great fun on it and I feel it was well worth it's price. That is the only real measure of success that should matter to the end user.

Can we rub it in to you now that many people are very happy with the thing that you seem to have so strongly identified with hating? You just seem like a sad, possibly dumb, person. Or a troll, in which case, welp.

Lol

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm slightly sad for Nintendo that the Wii U was not a financial success because I enjoy my Wii U and overall it was worth it and has overall improved my quality of life to an exceptional degree for it being merely a consumer product, but Nintendo's quarterly revenue figures don't have much to do with the fact that I enjoy my Wii U so whatever. Nintendo will do Nintendo, and their financial success or lack thereof is really only important in terms of the tea leaf-reading we're all doing to try to figure out what Nintendo will do next.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Nintendo's position in the market matters more to me than how fun their video games are, because I put my faith in them during this season's Fantasy Console Warrioring League at GameFAQs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Patter Song posted:

Motion controls are great. I love gyroscopic arrow aiming in both the 3DS and Wii U Zelda games and I don't want to go back to aiming with a stick.

A second screen is great. Looks like you never played The World Ends With You.

I could do without the gyroscope, touch screen and 3d, but having the second screen for use as a map or menu is nice on the 3ds. The Wii U tablet always seemed kind of useless to me, but I was only really interested in Smash, and played a bit of Splatoon and Mario Kart at a friend's place.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Trent posted:

Trolling aside, there are a lot of people in the world who, when they don't like something, have to look for reasons to take the piss out of it and take pleasure in it failing even if it hurts many other people. If an egomaniac doesn't like something, it must be Objectively Bad (because the egomaniac is Smart and Good), and therefore everyone who does like it must be Objectively Bad also... after all, if it were Good, said egomaniac would like it, right?

I don't really care for Splatoon, but a lot of other people like it and I say good on them. It doesn't diminish me in the slightest if other people like things that I don't.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
s.i.r.e. reminds me of that one idiotic Polygon writer who kept going "here's why Mario Kart 8 is gonna flop" and every time Mario Kart 8 got good reviews and did well for the system he kept going "uh yeah well it still sucks and it's gonna fail"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

s.i.r.e. reminds me of that one idiotic Polygon writer who kept going "here's why Mario Kart 8 is gonna flop" and every time Mario Kart 8 got good reviews and did well for the system he kept going "uh yeah well it still sucks and it's gonna fail"

"Mario Kart 8 will be the lowest-selling Mario Kart game to date."

Game goes on to comfortably outsell Super Circuit and may yet overtake Double Dash.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trent posted:

Is this a real post or are you channeling jivjov?

How is it that you're so dense that you can't see that "something being fun" and "something being a flop for a company" can easily go hand in hand? Just because the console sold like poo poo and you have a grand total of 4 games to look forward to until the NX releases doesn't mean the console is somehow unfun for everyone. I enjoy my Wii U when I play it: it has fun games and there's a lot of fun to be had with the drat thing, but I'm not going to lie to myself about it not being a total failure.

You're really not seeing the overlying problem with the fine lovely mess that Nintendo has gotten themselves in because they didn't evolve with the times and relied on gimmicks to sell their consoles. Now it worked, really well, with the Wii but they killed off a lot of third party support that the other consoles were getting because of the underpowered hardware and terrible internet services. The Wii U farts out without anyone willing to support it, causing Nintendo to miss out on big-name titles that sell a lot of consoles. Now with the Wii U barely out the gate Nintendo's putting it out to pasture with another console based around some gimmick (hopefully to get that Wii sales money) with no third party support announced (save for one game?).

Seeing Nintendo leave the hardware market would be strange, but it's really not hard to imagine considering the position they're in. I'm curious to hear why people think the NX will succeed.

I wouldn't even say that, Mario Kart always sells.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

"Mario Kart 8 will be the lowest-selling Mario Kart game to date."

Game goes on to comfortably outsell Super Circuit and may yet overtake Double Dash.

I'm behind the times. It has overtaken Double Dash.

As of June 30, Mario Kart 8 moved 7.7 million units. There are under 13 million Wii Us out there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Your life was a flop.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

I enjoy my Wii U when I play it:,

but I'm not going to lie to myself about it not being a total failure.

So...it was a total failure....except you enjoy playing it? You consider "provides an enjoyable gaming experience to the end user" to be "failure"?

Please never design a game or console. I'd hate to see what your metric for "success" is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's possible to enjoy a financial failure. See also: The Dreamcast

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah, but s.i.r.e. is not saying the Wii U was a financial failure. They have stated, repeatedly, that the Wii U was a TOTAL failure. Failed on all possible levels.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dreamcast loving owned and so did the VMU that i bet s.i.r.e. hates

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this a real post or are you channeling jivjov?

How is it that you're so dense that you can't see that "something being fun" and "something being a flop for a company" can easily go hand in hand? Just because the console sold like poo poo and you have a grand total of 4 games to look forward to until the NX releases doesn't mean the console is somehow unfun for everyone. I enjoy my Wii U when I play it: it has fun games and there's a lot of fun to be had with the drat thing, but I'm not going to lie to myself about it not being a total failure.

You're really not seeing the overlying problem with the fine lovely mess that Nintendo has gotten themselves in because they didn't evolve with the times and relied on gimmicks to sell their consoles. Now it worked, really well, with the Wii but they killed off a lot of third party support that the other consoles were getting because of the underpowered hardware and terrible internet services. The Wii U farts out without anyone willing to support it, causing Nintendo to miss out on big-name titles that sell a lot of consoles. Now with the Wii U barely out the gate Nintendo's putting it out to pasture with another console based around some gimmick (hopefully to get that Wii sales money) with no third party support announced (save for one game?).

Seeing Nintendo leave the hardware market would be strange, but it's really not hard to imagine considering the position they're in. I'm curious to hear why people think the NX will succeed.

I wouldn't even say that, Mario Kart always sells.

is this a real post

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i'm curious to hear why a nintendo handheld will succeed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also...Wii U "barely out of the gate"? By the time the NX comes out, the Wii U will be comfortably over 4 years old.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jivjov you're putting forth more impassioned arguments than I've ever seen out of you in Mafia :v:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
eh, this is jivjov at like 70-80~% power

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

You're really not seeing the overlying problem with the fine lovely mess that Nintendo has gotten themselves in because they didn't evolve with the times and relied on gimmicks to sell their consoles.

The 3D gimmick worked with the 3DS because they've sold something like 60 million of them so I don't know how we're quantifying "mess" here

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

How is it that you're so dense
that you can't see what I was replying to was you "rubbing it in" against people who the WiiU only benefited. Idgaf about its financial success except in the abstract way that I don't want Nintendo to go away completely, not that there's any chance of that, with their various licences to print money.

We have no stake in the measures of success that you seem to care (a lot) about.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

When will nintendo stop putting new ideas in their systems and just make a console that's exactly like every other one?

I mean look at this gimmicky D-Pad garbage with the NES when every console before it has used a joystick.

And what's with the SNES doing these shoulder buttons, everybody knows you only put the buttons on the face of the controller, what were they thinking with those L and R buttons on the front of the controller?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been in this thread for maybe a week and we have already gone full circle back to controller chat this thread owns

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Patter Song posted:

I'm behind the times. It has overtaken Double Dash.

As of June 30, Mario Kart 8 moved 7.7 million units. There are under 13 million Wii Us out there.

Something is seriously wrong with 5.3 million people.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nintendo wouldn't do gimmicks if they didn't work. It didn't work for the Wii U and Gamecube, but when it works, it works

At one point, putting a D-Pad on a console was going against the grain, now it's standard. At one point, the idea of shoulder buttons was an odd gimmick, because all controllers had the buttons on the face because that's how arcade cabinets were, now every controller has them.

As much as we deride waggle controls, the Wii was a sales monster that printed money. The DS was considered gimmicky for having two screens and touch support, and that too was a money printer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Jivjov you're putting forth more impassioned arguments than I've ever seen out of you in Mafia :v:

it was my first game, ok?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
kashuno please don't be a poster who talks about mafia outside the mafia threads, its suppose to be a shameful secret

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

Ah, but s.i.r.e. is not saying the Wii U was a financial failure. They have stated, repeatedly, that the Wii U was a TOTAL failure. Failed on all possible levels.

Come on, it's really not that hard to figure out.

Trent posted:

Idgaf about about its financial success except in the abstract way that I don't want Nintendo to go away completely

I don't think Nintendo will ever go away, I just wouldn't be surprised if they dropped out of the hardware game eventually. I feel like the NX could be the console that forces them into that reality, though with all of their money they could just keep making hardware that sells poorly and think nothing of it, but it's not the smartest move.

Trent posted:

We have no stake in the measures of success that you seem to care (a lot) about.

Nor does anyone need to care about what you think it's successful, snake eats it's tail, etc.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The Dreamcast wasn't the failure. Humanity was the failure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Awesome Welles posted:

The 3D gimmick worked with the 3DS because they've sold something like 60 million of them so I don't know how we're quantifying "mess" here

I don't really think you can say that the 3D gimmick improved sales of the 3DS.

At most you could maybe correlate the face tracking in the N3DS to replacement sales that otherwise might have been happy with the O3DS.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

The Dreamcast wasn't the failure. Humanity was the failure.

CD based backdoor was the failure. Or that one Action Replay demo disc that let you boot up burned games. That was the Dreamcast, right?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

xanthan posted:

CD based backdoor was the failure. Or that one Action Replay demo disc that let you boot up burned games. That was the Dreamcast, right?

you could do it on the ps1 with a gameshark as well, so i don't think that was the failure point.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've never been much at fighting games and I am terrible at all of them, but I still have a Dreamcast (the cool black one) and it has the only two fighting games I've ever really liked: Soul Calibre (the original) and SFA3.

I also have a CDX and I love it. It sold about 14 units worldwide but it plays Genesis games and Sega CD games (Lunar!) and music CDs and gently caress you if you don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
EA sitting out the Dreamcast hosed it pretty hard in America. No Madden meant a lot of people here played it safe and waited for the ps2, despite how good NFL 2K was.

• Locked thread