Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Paingod556 posted:

Seems likely they want short, violent missions, like MechCommander. Which also had zero ingame save functional. So it has precedence

The mechcommanders were the best games, yet every review I find of the first one seem to drat it as too hard for some reason.

Polaron posted:

I'm having flashbacks to a certain salvage truck mission.

Bring LRMs and jump jets. Profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
MechCommander 1 is awesome and I'd play someone right now if it were possible.

Did the first one even have multiplayer? I'm not actually sure how fun that would be, the appeal of the campaign was trying to salvage mechs ahead of time (like that timberwolf that you see in the 2nd or 3rd mission.

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Did the first one even have multiplayer? I'm not actually sure how fun that would be, the appeal of the campaign was trying to salvage mechs ahead of time (like that timberwolf that you see in the 2nd or 3rd mission.

The multiplayer for the first one was excellent actually. I spent years playing it on the old Mplayer service. There was even a pretty large organized playerbase for it called Starlance. Heck, I was still finding people to play MC1 with after MC2 was out, since everyone hated MC2 multi.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Polaron posted:

My flashbacks were to a certain ambulance mission. :shepicide:

MC1 was great even if the difficulty oscillated a bit at times. MC2 was alright as long as you ignored the story and avoided the harder difficulties.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RGCrab posted:

The multiplayer for the first one was excellent actually. I spent years playing it on the old Mplayer service. There was even a pretty large organized playerbase for it called Starlance. Heck, I was still finding people to play MC1 with after MC2 was out, since everyone hated MC2 multi.

Spent so much time playing it on Mplayer with Starlance. So many rules to balance some issues in MP (Buy Mad Cats, sell ER PPCs, buy more Mad Cats)

Then have a Mech get gimped because every weapon was in the left arm.

RGCrab
Aug 23, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Spent so much time playing it on Mplayer with Starlance. So many rules to balance some issues in MP (Buy Mad Cats, sell ER PPCs, buy more Mad Cats)

Then have a Mech get gimped because every weapon was in the left arm.

CBBR was the rule that fixed almost everything about the multiplayer, was such a great rule. Even with the huge amount of negotiations a lot of Starlance players did, it pretty much boiled down to "cbbr, 750k, 3v3, 3fort" for 90% of games.

The left arm thing was hilarious, since it mostly happened to clan mechs. For IS it seemed they had some sort of dimensional rift in the right torso to hold every gun.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I distinctly remember one of the early missions was absolutely impossible if you didnt pay attention and buy a minelayer

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They've posted a neat little teaser of what the cinematic cutscene style will be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvJtznqkBE

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They've posted a neat little teaser of what the cinematic cutscene style will be like:

Everything about this game is coming out exactly the way i hoped it to be.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Why is the atlas's forehead transparent

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Great Beer posted:

Why is the atlas's forehead transparent

ecm

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its actually chrome polished to a mirror shine.

Also, if that music is a sign of what the soundtrack is gonna be like... :fap:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 12, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It sounds immensely similar to the music in the gameplay video, so that's a good sign.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Is any of that artwork from the video posted somewhere it can be DL'd? That one with the tanks and KGC would make for a sweet desktop background but I can't seem to even find an art/media section on their website and googling "Battletech Game Art" didn't narrow it down very much.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

AtillatheBum posted:

Is any of that artwork from the video posted somewhere it can be DL'd? That one with the tanks and KGC would make for a sweet desktop background but I can't seem to even find an art/media section on their website and googling "Battletech Game Art" didn't narrow it down very much.

The Kickstarter page has all of them by the looks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/description

Maybe they out HD ones on their forum. Phone posting so not sure and it's awkward to dig for them

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Paingod556 posted:

The Kickstarter page has all of them by the looks

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/description

Maybe they out HD ones on their forum. Phone posting so not sure and it's awkward to dig for them

Oh nice, thanks. The ones there are linked to bigger versions that are just fine, though not quite as finished/edited as the ones they had in the video.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh man, the hype is real. Every new thing they show all I can think is, "Yes, this is exactly what I wanted."

That shot at 17 seconds of the Tanks with infantry running along, Battlemechs in the background is too good.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 12, 2016

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Taerkar posted:

I won't be 100% happy until the Atlas can blow a limb off with the AC/20 and then pick up said limb and beat that Mech to death with it.

Really? Because that would make me 150% happy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You went over the maximum allowed happiness and created an invalid design.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Story of my life, man.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Jon Everist is an amazing composer and they're lucky to have him. If you don't have shadowrun dragonfall and/or Hong Kong they have similarly amazing soundtracks.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
I want this.

e:

xthetenth posted:

Jon Everist is an amazing composer and they're lucky to have him. If you don't have shadowrun dragonfall and/or Hong Kong they have similarly amazing soundtracks.
Kind of getting tired of the moody violins, though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

double riveting posted:

Kind of getting tired of the moody violins, though.

Those kind of struck me as a Hong Kong thing, they don't show up much in Dragonfall except for Lex Parsimoniae (probably the most similar song to the btech trailer), Horn and Ivory has a similar type of melody on clarinet instead. The battle demo music didn't have moody strings either so I think the btech soundtrack will be safely its own thing since Hong Kong is so different musically.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

xthetenth posted:

Those kind of struck me as a Hong Kong thing, they don't show up much in Dragonfall

True. The Dragonfall soundtrack is loving great, including the Shadowrun Returns half.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Same demo, different gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_FGALPHhE

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

God help me, I've been obtaining and reading Battletech books.

I will admit they're not High Literature, but they're fun. I'm not a book snob by any means, and given that I'm picking the overwhelming majority of these up for 3-4 bucks a pop on Thriftbooks (at least the Stackpole ones, all the others are on Kindle), I have no issues with them- if they're dumb they're the fun type of dumb. So far I've read the Gray Death Legion Trilogy, Wolves on the Border, and Blood of Kerensky (notably, I see why Stackpole is considered the best author(or at least 'the most important'). They're like the cheesy summer blockbusters of novels- they're not going to win (or worth being considered for any) awards, but be willing to overlook some things and you'll have a good time.

Obviously of relevance to this game is the Warrior Trilogy, which is coming in, and I figure I'll read the Stackpole stuff up until Twilight of the Clans, after which point my MW2 induced nostalgia hits its limits and I will stop.

Also tempted to get Far Country because SQUAWK!

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When I was a kid I read so many Battletech books, probably 50+. I'd sit in class reading Battletech books while getting yelled at by teachers to pay attention. Good times! The Gray Death Legion trilogy is a classic.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I read all 60+ Battletech books earlier this year. My brain still feels fried.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sky Shadowing posted:

God help me, I've been obtaining and reading Battletech books.

I will admit they're not High Literature, but they're fun. I'm not a book snob by any means, and given that I'm picking the overwhelming majority of these up for 3-4 bucks a pop on Thriftbooks (at least the Stackpole ones, all the others are on Kindle), I have no issues with them- if they're dumb they're the fun type of dumb. So far I've read the Gray Death Legion Trilogy, Wolves on the Border, and Blood of Kerensky (notably, I see why Stackpole is considered the best author(or at least 'the most important'). They're like the cheesy summer blockbusters of novels- they're not going to win (or worth being considered for any) awards, but be willing to overlook some things and you'll have a good time.

Obviously of relevance to this game is the Warrior Trilogy, which is coming in, and I figure I'll read the Stackpole stuff up until Twilight of the Clans, after which point my MW2 induced nostalgia hits its limits and I will stop.

Also tempted to get Far Country because SQUAWK!

Read "Main Event" and come back and tell us something positive about the protagonist.

Go on

I dare you.

Also to comment on Gray Death Legion. The setup for the first book is great, guerrilla actions against an invading army with a side order of familial vengence. The opening with Gray seeing his dad's mech getting wasted by the kurita was a brilliant start.

Then it gets a bit silly, capturing a Commando with a truck mounted MG is beyond stretching it really.

I wish I had the time to write some schlocky action mech short stories. Once you get past the uncanny valley of giant walking mechs it's a really fun space.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 20, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

I read all 60+ Battletech books earlier this year. My brain still feels fried.

I bought them as they came out in the 80s and 90s until they got more and more childish, vapid and moronic. The clan garbage written by completely forgettable drones made me cancel the order I had at the local comic/games place. I kept what I had but only the older books are on display, the drivel is in boxes.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I remember loving Highlander Gambit when I was 12. How bad is it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

I bought them as they came out in the 80s and 90s until they got more and more childish, vapid and moronic. The clan garbage written by completely forgettable drones made me cancel the order I had at the local comic/games place. I kept what I had but only the older books are on display, the drivel is in boxes.

Basically, the series really shits itself once the Clans show up and the FedCom Civil War happens. They just aren't fun or exciting to read about. The Clans are basically giant sperg retards with unrealistic expectations on warfare, and the FedCom books are just boring because Mary Sue. The only good ones are ones like Flashpoint that don't deal with any Davions or Steiners.

LeSquide posted:

I remember loving Highlander Gambit when I was 12. How bad is it?

Pretty bad. The main character is a Mary Sue Scottish Death Commando that can do everything, Switching allegiances from Liao to Northwind was barely even an internal conflict. So much for fanatical elite troops.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are stackpole's btech books better than his star wars books? Cause his star wars books are pretty bad.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Polaron posted:

That farm defense mission was impossible as an eight year old.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Skoll posted:

Basically, the series really shits itself once the Clans show up and the FedCom Civil War happens.

aka '3025/3039 best era'

It's not just for grogs anymore. :colbert:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I got my package with the Jacket in it yesterday, its a really drat nice jacket, makes me look like a total nerd, but I don't care. Will be nice for the SD winter that is coming soon.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I just got done reading 'Wolves on the Border', my first BTech book. I thought it was pretty good, for a licensed genre book, any direct followups worth checking out? Kind of curious to see if Jaime Wolf makes good on his promise to the Coordinator, and I'd really like to see what happens to Michi.

I've gotten so impatient waiting for the Beta of this game, I'm taking my Battletech fix wherever I can get it. I've even started playing MWO again...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Q_res posted:

I just got done reading 'Wolves on the Border', my first BTech book. I thought it was pretty good, for a licensed genre book, any direct followups worth checking out? Kind of curious to see if Jaime Wolf makes good on his promise to the Coordinator, and I'd really like to see what happens to Michi.

I've gotten so impatient waiting for the Beta of this game, I'm taking my Battletech fix wherever I can get it. I've even started playing MWO again...

Wolves on the Border is one of the better BT books. It's head and shoulders above most of them.

There's some followup to it in the main 'spine' books (written by Mike Stackpole) but it's like incidental side stuff so I wouldn't read them just for more Wolf action. Stackpole's books are the ones that push the 'plot' forward for the most part though (and later on when Stackpole stopped writing them because FASA couldn't afford to pay him, Loren Coleman became the plot-book guy).

The closest thing to a sequel WotB has is Wolf Pack, which takes place in the 3050s and isn't really about Jaime himself. It's also not as good a book, although it's no D.R.T..

Incidentally, how is Jaime pronounced? I always thought it was supposed to sound like 'hame' but apparently some people say 'jamie'?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure the last scene of Wolves on the Border is one of the major events of the Battletech universe, and if you want the story after that pick up the Warrior Trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

Pretty sure the last scene of Wolves on the Border is one of the major events of the Battletech universe, and if you want the story after that pick up the Warrior Trilogy.
I forget, what is the scene?

• Locked thread