Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Do you live in Toronto? Let's get some drinks and talk the genre :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Listening to Juke-Joint Jezebel ... and it's just stupendously awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Those DEATH TO FALSE EBM shirts are by the I Die: You Die guys, are a joke based on a Manowar shirt, and are an extremely obvious joke.

The Cleaner posted:

I remember an interview with Skinny Puppy where they said that there was nothing to do back in 1981 other than do drugs, watch horror movies and play with keyboards. For non-musicians, you went to night clubs to watch those people play. And cocaine.

Most of the younger crowd these days are house-bound straight-edge vegans who don't drink, smoke, or go to clubs. Streaming music off (Insert newest streaming service here) and not interested in dropping their minuscule cash on nu-goth stuff.

So now at most you get some dark-rave cross-overs hitting up a witch-house after-hours retro-night and buying the opening bands "single" on fake-floppy-disc with instant digital-download.

The younger crowd is generally notable for having zero cash or free time, let alone cash and free time for hanging out in bars.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

Those DEATH TO FALSE EBM shirts are by the I Die: You Die guys, are a joke based on a Manowar shirt, and are an extremely obvious joke.

It was hilarious when they first posted them online, because a fair amount of folk were unaware of Manowar and completely missed the joke.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure I've seen the shirt it's referencing, but I can't for the life of me find it online. Anyone have a link?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the shirt it's referencing, but I can't for the life of me find it online. Anyone have a link?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

divabot posted:

Probably around 1979. The big mistakes were:

* drum machines. 20 minutes of someone hitting something is interesting; 20 minutes of TR-808 is not.
* going disco
* 12" mixes
* MIDI
* samplers, not just making your own tapeloops with scissors and sticky tape

I saw this Dead When I Found Her facebook post today and it made me think of your post

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Pope Guilty posted:

The younger crowd is generally notable for having zero cash or free time, let alone cash and free time for hanging out in bars.

Zero cash, I agree. But they have alot of time. It's just that in 2016, they have a million more options than beer at a lovely bar or drugs at a lovely club.

Anyway new PIG is... decent. I mean it's beyond a decade too late, but I can't wait to scratch catching Watts live off my bucket list.

teethgrinder posted:

Do you live in Toronto? Let's get some drinks and talk the genre :D

Woe add me on facebook first, I'm not that kinda girl

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In other news, I am super excited about seeing Dead When I Found Her, Me The Tiger, Tapewyrm and Atari Teenage Riot live at Infest in a fortnight! :v: Curious about seeing 3Teeth live, PWEI 2.0 or whatever they are, Displacer and a couple of other bands.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Frankly, fire was a mistake.

The Cleaner posted:

Zero cash, I agree. But they have alot of time. It's just that in 2016, they have a million more options than beer at a lovely bar or drugs at a lovely club.

well yeah. Back in the day, your options were three channels of lovely TV or go out and drink and dance with your friends. Now, it's the whole internet and all your friends, or go out and drink and dance with people you can't click "block" on.

And back to music that's new and actually good: I stumbled over Boy Harsher the other day. Yr Body Is Nothing is not quite EBM, but people keep comparing them to EBM. I'd say if you told me this had come out in 1982, I'd believe you.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Woe add me on facebook first, I'm not that kinda girl
Ha ... I actually did buy a drink for your bandmate at the Artoffact showcase however many years ago :)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I hesitate to call them terrible, but they're mostly pretty samey and forgettable. A stable line-up is the worst thing to happen to KMFDM.

Yeah, "terrible" may be a bit strong, but I agree that they were a lot better when there were more talented weirdos cycling in and out, and like CAT rear end said, when their albums each seemed to have a unique character.

I'm listening to ADIOS right now and gently caress do I ever like "Full Worm Garden," among others.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That song and R. U. OK took forever to grow on me. But I love'm now.

That album was weirdly a mixed bag to me when it came out, but I really like every track on it now for one reason or another. Today and That's All really stood out for me from the beginning, but I appreciate that not all fans at that time would dig them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

That song and R. U. OK took forever to grow on me. But I love'm now.

That album was weirdly a mixed bag to me when it came out, but I really like every track on it now for one reason or another. Today and That's All really stood out for me from the beginning, but I appreciate that not all fans at that time would dig them.

I agree 100% and to me it's actually one of the most consistent records they've done. I was always really in to punk and hardcore, along with some more post-punk/gothic rock stuff, so I had no preconceived notions of KMFDM or what it meant to be a "true" fan when I first heard them, so to me ADIOS was always a good record, as was SYMBOLS.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think at this point Adios might be my favorite KMFDM album. That's All is such a great song. Years ago when it came up I remember the original track order was posted and it kills me that I didn't write it down. The only thing I remembered was the album opened up with D.I.Y. and ended with Adios.

It was kind of cool there were so many of these rotating cast industrial supergroups and side projects in the 90s. I've been on a Pigface kick lately. Fook is so solid.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hah. One of the dumber decisions I made at 19 was following Pigface around with a group of friends to various shows -- traveling way too far in the process -- and annoying (not intentionally, I swear) the poo poo out of En Esch. He's performing with Watts and it would be extremely self-absorbed to think he'll recognize me in the crowd 12 years later, but if he does, RIP me.

Dude is a beast. He once jumped out of a burning building from the fourth floor and hit concrete ... and lived.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 12, 2016

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I think at this point Adios might be my favorite KMFDM album. That's All is such a great song. Years ago when it came up I remember the original track order was posted and it kills me that I didn't write it down. The only thing I remembered was the album opened up with D.I.Y. and ended with Adios.

It was kind of cool there were so many of these rotating cast industrial supergroups and side projects in the 90s. I've been on a Pigface kick lately. Fook is so solid.

Adios is one of those albums where the actual order of the tracks works to make the album worse. Adios is a great opener, but why would you immediately suck out all the viciousness of the album with a lame turd like Sycophant? Why on earth would you end the album with Bereit when you have That's All (or D.I.Y which would also be a great way to end the album after That's All since it sticks out so much from the rest of the album)? What were they thinking?

I'm a firm believer in albums having a beginning and an end and a logical progression of songs. Adios has some great material but it really suffers from the way it's presented because it just feels like a bunch of disjointed stuff thrown together with no consideration of how it flows.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 12, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It would be rad if someone could dig up the fixed track order for Adios. Track order is something I never mess with on my own or even think about that much, but I'm sure it can have a significant impact.

On a similar note, Covenant's Leaving Babylon was apparently released with a draft song order. I'll post the supposedly correct one when I'm not on my phone. I can't remember which forum I got it from; either this one or Mindphaser before it died and was reborn as whatever it currently is (is it an official site now??).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

david_a posted:

It would be rad if someone could dig up the fixed track order for Adios. Track order is something I never mess with on my own or even think about that much, but I'm sure it can have a significant impact.

On a similar note, Covenant's Leaving Babylon was apparently released with a draft song order. I'll post the supposedly correct one when I'm not on my phone. I can't remember which forum I got it from; either this one or Mindphaser before it died and was reborn as whatever it currently is (is it an official site now??).

I think track order is a fascinating, often overlooked element that can really have an impact on what kind of an effect a music recording has. It's something I've started thinking about a lot ever since I started making music myself and when playing live. I want all of my live sets, no matter how long, to have a flow much like an album to them as well. Some tracks belong in the first half whereas some can only ever be played among the last because they would be out of place anywhere else etc.

Especially in cases where it's obvious the artist wasn't sure what order to put the tracks in it's an interesting exercise to think about if it could've been better otherwise. This mostly applies to albums that are just "a bunch of new songs" instead of a carefully planned, conceptual whole (eg. DWIFH's latest album).

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

I saw this Dead When I Found Her facebook post today and it made me think of your post

Man now I want a shirt that says DRUM MACHINE MUST BE STOPPED

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Here is the alternate track order for Covenant - Leaving Babylon before I forget:
1) Leaving Babylon
2) Prime Movers
3) For Our Time
4) They Kingdom Come
5) I Walk Slow
6) Ignorance & Bliss
7) Last Dance
8) Auto (Circulation)
9) Not to Be Here
10) Leaving Babylon II

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

teethgrinder posted:

Ha ... I actually did buy a drink for your bandmate at the Artoffact showcase however many years ago :)

Oh at Neutral? that was you?? You made his night. We felt awkward (always do) but you totally upped his mood and if anything gave him a rock-star complex which I'm still dealing with.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

david_a posted:

Here is the alternate track order for Covenant - Leaving Babylon before I forget:
1) Leaving Babylon
2) Prime Movers
3) For Our Time
4) They Kingdom Come
5) I Walk Slow
6) Ignorance & Bliss
7) Last Dance
8) Auto (Circulation)
9) Not to Be Here
10) Leaving Babylon II

It's not much of an alternate track order since it's the exact same as what was released :shrug:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I know Trent Reznor called in Bob Ezrin and worked for like 2 weeks to get the track order of the Fragile correct.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Fook is so solid.

Word! It's such an amazing thing and it pretty much blew the mind of early 20's me. Easily my favorite studio LP from them, and it's not just because I'm biased toward Ogre and Connelly, for which I think their best output in that project is on this record. "I Can Do No Wrong" is killer, and that dark magic of Atkins drums plus Ogre doing his thing on "Insemination" is godly. Seeing Esch and Ogre sing "Go" on that tour whilst on some illicit substances is one of my favorite blurry memories.

Also. Lesley. loving. Rankine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

It's not much of an alternate track order since it's the exact same as what was released :shrug:
Not according to Amazon and Metropolis. Was there another release with this order?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

david_a posted:

Not according to Amazon and Metropolis. Was there another release with this order?

Oh, that's actually quite interesting - it looks like there are two different track orders for the European and US releases. The alternative one you posted is the one found in the European versions.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Oh at Neutral? that was you?? You made his night. We felt awkward (always do) but you totally upped his mood and if anything gave him a rock-star complex which I'm still dealing with.
Ha least I could do. That show was so loving great. Legend <3

Weirdly no electro-industrial festival in Toronto this year, though we're getting VNV, A23 and 3Teeth shows (going to miss 3Teeth unfortunately due to TURF).

hatelull posted:

Word! It's such an amazing thing and it pretty much blew the mind of early 20's me. Easily my favorite studio LP from them, and it's not just because I'm biased toward Ogre and Connelly, for which I think their best output in that project is on this record. "I Can Do No Wrong" is killer, and that dark magic of Atkins drums plus Ogre doing his thing on "Insemination" is godly. Seeing Esch and Ogre sing "Go" on that tour whilst on some illicit substances is one of my favorite blurry memories.

Also. Lesley. loving. Rankine.

My first experience with Lesley loving Rankine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b3MOtw-4E

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Oh, that's actually quite interesting - it looks like there are two different track orders for the European and US releases. The alternative one you posted is the one found in the European versions.
I didn't realize people still bothered doing that. I think the implication from where I got the list from was that Metropolis screwed up and used a draft order, but I don't know how likely that is.

Wasn't Cleopatra the old record label that was notorious for loving up track listings?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

david_a posted:

I didn't realize people still bothered doing that. I think the implication from where I got the list from was that Metropolis screwed up and used a draft order, but I don't know how likely that is.

Wasn't Cleopatra the old record label that was notorious for loving up track listings?

And loving up the idea of compilations, and tribute albums, and covers and.... :v:

Hey, did anybody else know that motherfucking Clock DVA is touring?! They're coming to Denver! :woop:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Adios is one of those albums where the actual order of the tracks works to make the album worse. Adios is a great opener, but why would you immediately suck out all the viciousness of the album with a lame turd like Sycophant? Why on earth would you end the album with Bereit when you have That's All (or D.I.Y which would also be a great way to end the album after That's All since it sticks out so much from the rest of the album)? What were they thinking?

I'm a firm believer in albums having a beginning and an end and a logical progression of songs. Adios has some great material but it really suffers from the way it's presented because it just feels like a bunch of disjointed stuff thrown together with no consideration of how it flows.

I agree with this, too, even though I think it's a collection of very strong songs the sequencing is pretty bad. This is pretty nerdy but off the top of my head, the album would run this way:

DIY
Today
Sycophant
Full Worm Garden
Witness

That's All
Bereit
R U OK?
Rubicon
Adios

This is a tough album to sequence, though. Witness and Sycophant are particularly tough to place.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 13, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

It's pretty weird that person hadn't heard of Varathron or Goatlord

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Singing Chav posted:

Man now I want a shirt that says DRUM MACHINE MUST BE STOPPED

There is no way that the person who did this is not here in this room right now.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

teethgrinder posted:

My first experience with Lesley loving Rankine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b3MOtw-4E

That's funny, mine was this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYvYk972hac

(Yeah I'm showing my age)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wow sellout! :D

I have never really been aware of Silverfish or Ruby ... need to find their albums somewhere. Only Ruby's Short-Staffed At The Gene Pool is on Spotify.

New A23 is out to backers. It's ... an A23 album!

It started sounding a bit more unique to me by track 4, 'Salt the Earth'. It's not bad by any means, and I'm sure I'll come to really enjoy it a lot after more listens.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

This is hilarious, and clicking thru to its creators tumblr they are apparently a Seattle dwelling Transbian. Sounds about right.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We should merge the goth rock and industrial threads in a great act of thread unity.

So I stumbled across this French retrowave-ish band that actually makes me kinda like retrowave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rus7Dhpzs

That artwork is killer.

It's like goth David Hasselhoff.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 17, 2016

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
New 3Teeth sounds absolutely identical to 90 industrial rock. Like, identical to me. If you didn't know who this was, you'd expect to find it on a late 90s/early 00s film soundtrack or compilation along with Gravity Kills, Chemlab, 16Volt and Devotion Records acts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uabChNfWAcM

I would have been all over this in the late 90s.

(I am not objecting to anything about a band deliberately adopting a retro style, I'd note - I like way too much old school EBM to do that)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I have been an on UNGODLY massive retro Skinny Puppy kick lately. It's like I got shoved into a time warp back into 1989 or something. Help me :ohdear:

I'm also pretty out of the loop on modern industrial, so if anyone's got stuff I haven't heard before that captures that same flavour, I'd totally appreciate it. In the meantime I'm listening to The Choke for like the 7th time this week, and that's after I listened to Too Dark Park twice already in full today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

I have been an on UNGODLY massive retro Skinny Puppy kick lately. It's like I got shoved into a time warp back into 1989 or something. Help me :ohdear:

I'm also pretty out of the loop on modern industrial, so if anyone's got stuff I haven't heard before that captures that same flavour, I'd totally appreciate it.

Youth Code. Dead When I Found Her. They both have a strong Skuppy influence.