Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Parts Kit posted:

I hadn't seen the DS1 LP and checked it out, I can't believe you beat Capra Demon on your first try. That fucker took me at around two dozen tries you jerk. :mad:

I really never understood this - to me, Capra Demon was a pretty trivial boss, if you take out the dogs first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Beamed posted:

I really never understood this - to me, Capra Demon was a pretty trivial boss, if you take out the dogs first.

True, but he was the first gank boss of the game, which catches a lot of people unawares.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
It also falls somewhat to acting quickly by either killing the dogs immediately or running up the stairs in the back of the arena/alley and killing them there while Mr. Capra falls back down. Which is a tall order for a new player caught unaware, and the Capra Demon itself has some pretty nasty attacks of its own.

Not as much of a shock as the Bell Gargoyles on top of the undead parish, but it's a more sudden "oh crap" as soon as you enter the fight rather than the fight going on for a while and then dropping the revelation on you.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
One thing I'll add to Capra troubles is (for me at least) that fight is about the time when you get a spear that's good at turtling and killing one at a time; so unless you get an good shield at the time or swap for a wide attacking weapon constantly your first experience may be shield stabing one dog, blocking Capra's sword but lose all stamina, cornered by second dog and Capra combination attacks till death. Well, on my first play through anyway.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Also, unless you have meta-knowledge of the world layout, the run-up to Capra from the closest bonfire is pretty long and treacherous. A first time player can spend 10-15 minutes or more working their way down to and through the lower undead burg, only to lose the Capra fight in 10 to 15 seconds.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

HellCopter posted:

I did a no-bonfire run to perfect my Saber cosplay build. It's actually not hard at all since you can light bonfires to act as checkpoints, as long as you don't sit down. The real challenge of it is hanging onto your souls and upgrade materials for entire map spokes.

I would also like to humblebrag about my no death - no bonfire run

I found it super fun to plan and exciting to carry out. I also think it's not that hard because I'm not a speedrunner or anything.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
It took me the whole game to realize Forlorn was an NPC and not a really persistent invader. :downs:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Kinda surprised Goonther didn't break out the Pyromancy right from the get-go against that Forlorn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't even know Ricard's Rapier was in this game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't even know Ricard's Rapier was in this game.
A lot of people don't know about that particular nook. I recall being invaded when the PvP scene was more active, and since I was exploring the pit anyway I decided that I'd take the elevator up and wait by the unopened secret door. Eventually my invader got frustrated and killed themself...which was how I found out that they might have been hacking. (The soul reward was suspiciously high.) This sort of trick isn't unique to the Huntsman's Copse, but it's easiest there given how nontrivial it is to open the passage.

While the Forlorn shows up in multiple locations, he's not guaranteed to invade like in the video in any given location.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That Giant Basilisk in the pit there is something :magical:

Also this area is great for picking up Poison Moss for the mentioned later area. All of the butterflies are easily sniped, which just leaves picking up the mosses they drop.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty certain that the copse is the one area where an invade is guaranteed (I've never NOT had him invade there, anwyway) but there are a number of other areas where he can sometimes invade but sometimes won't. I was another person who thought he was a legit invader until I died against him once here and he popped up again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You can tell he's an NPC because he doesn't have any asterisks in his name.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Forlorn K***ht

According to the wiki, the Copse is in fact a guaranteed Forlorn invasion spot.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You can tell he's an NPC because he doesn't have any asterisks in his name.

You can also tell he's an NPC because he has about 8 million HP. NPCs all have mountains of health in DS2 for some reason, and Scholar made it even worse. It's one of the worst things about the game IMO.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

You can also tell he's an NPC because he has about 8 million HP. NPCs all have mountains of health in DS2 for some reason, and Scholar made it even worse. It's one of the worst things about the game IMO.
It's to compensate for them not having the intelligence of a player, since it's far easier to exploit the AI patterns of an NPC than to exploit the tells of an experienced PvP player. In particular, leaping attacks or smash attacks (knocking someone to the ground) can be chained to utterly embarrass NPC invaders.

And health pools in general are larger in DS2, considering that it's not hard to get 1K+ HP if you're not avoiding levels. (Damage is also greater to some degree, but not enough to enable the really quick kills of DS1 with attack multipliers.) On NG, the Forlorn's health pool is about what you'd expect for an endgame character, only without the sense of strategy.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

NGDBSS posted:

It's to compensate for them not having the intelligence of a player
I get that, but they got a bit carried away. The DLCs in particular have some really obnoxiously spongy NPCs.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I never understood the running hollow, but i love him all the same.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

I get that, but they got a bit carried away. The DLCs in particular have some really obnoxiously spongy NPCs.
To add to my earlier refrain that NPCs are quite exploitable (I've got down the timing to keep at least a few chain-smashed), average damage is also higher in DS2. Right now Geop's in the early game, but each mace strike is doing ~300 damage. For comparison, that's close to endgame damage for the same sorts of medium weapons in DS1. And bigger weapons will only do more.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tonberrykng posted:

It took me the whole game to realize Forlorn was an NPC and not a really persistent invader. :downs:

I mean at this point there are probably multiple people using a Forlorn character

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Vicas or Kuvo look him up a few episodes down the road. He was added in for some reason (Scholar change?) and drops random stuff. I still love him though :3: What an awkward boy

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Geop posted:

Vicas or Kuvo look him up a few episodes down the road. He was added in for some reason (Scholar change?) and drops random stuff. I still love him though :3: What an awkward boy

There's a slim chance he's a reference to that guy who made sonic gotta go fast videos as he ran through areas hollowed out with no clothes on in Dark Souls 1. Otherwise I dunno From just did it for laughs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frionnel posted:

It's so that when you finally catch up to him, and he drops a lifegem or something like that, you realize it was all a...

hollow pursuit

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UPmJXadvc&t=934s

Vicas practicing for his role as a dark souls npc.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Fister Roboto posted:

hollow pursuit

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
e: [No spoiler allowed! -Jordan]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did DS1 even have a profanity filter in the first place?

That said, the DS2 profanity filter is unusually zealous and broad-reaching. I get that NamBan wanted to keep things from getting out of control online, but as with the example of "Knight -> K***ht" it catches a number of really silly false positives.

Luckily, it is possible to circumvent it on PC by overwriting the English profanity list (:nws:) with the Chinese, Korean, or Russian lists. (I dunno how that last one works; I guess it's the different alphabet?) But I have no clue how to do the same on a PS4, or if it's even possible there.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Geop posted:

He just needed a show of affection. Our boy Goonther shot some love and care arrows at his face.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's so that when you finally catch up to him, and he drops a lifegem or something like that, you realize it was all a...

hollow pursuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6evG7s9bA

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 11, 2016

SilverhawkPX45
Oct 14, 2012
Did someone say "Rouge Leggins"?!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

SilverhawkPX45 posted:

They’re comfy and easy to wear!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SilverhawkPX45 posted:

All the world's lifegems are mine to keep!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

oh my god jesus no :gonk:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Geop posted:

oh my god jesus no :gonk:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Whaaaaat they're not even red

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'd always assumed that the running hollow was just an attempt to get the player to charge around like a madman trying to catch him, then die horribly because that'll aggro a bunch of poo poo and probably trigger that invasion as well.

I don't know quite why, but I find those butterflies deeply unsettling. Something about the way that they're huge, kinda hard to spot sometimes, and just lurking there.

Scaramouche posted:

Whaaaaat they're not even red

Just put them through the wash with a bottle of that rogue water, then.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'd always assumed that the running hollow was just an attempt to get the player to charge around like a madman trying to catch him, then die horribly because that'll aggro a bunch of poo poo and probably trigger that invasion as well.

I don't know quite why, but I find those butterflies deeply unsettling. Something about the way that they're huge, kinda hard to spot sometimes, and just lurking there.
SotFS really should have dressed Forlorn up in butterfly gear instead. Missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

• Locked thread