Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Looks like some specs for the 5D mark iv are leaking out: :toot:

30.4mp
    7fps
    Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
    Built-in Wifi
    24/30fps @ 4K
    60fps @ 1080
    120fps @ 720
    4:2:2
    8bit 500mbps MJPEG
    USB 3
    Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the “Mark XX” badge was.
    A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
    Other ergonomic changes, such as a new “locking switch” on the rear of the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those are some of the most boring specs leaks ever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What? Motion JPEG doesn't get your motor running?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alkanphel posted:

Those are some of the most boring specs leaks ever.

Can I ask what else you want? I think we're reaching a point where it's really small improvements.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Do we know if it's going to have on-chip ADC like the 80D?

Also, the 80D has a different default color balance from the previous Canon DSLRs. Looks colder, a lot like Sony and Nikon. Surely this has nothing to do with the actual update to the sensor hardware, but it's weird that the changes coincide. Canon makes its new sensor more like Sony's, Canon makes it's color balance more like Sony's.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

What? Motion JPEG doesn't get your motor running?

I just did a quick google but why is motion jpeg awesome?

So any increase to dynamic range, Nowadays cameras are entering a sun set phase but there's still a lot of room for improvement especially the smaller quality of life stuff.

Better UI. Better smartphone syncing, in camera lens distortion fixes. They can add gimmicky stuff like hyper focal distances

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

Can I ask what else you want? I think we're reaching a point where it's really small improvements.

Maybe a sensor on par with the latest Sony cameras? Some sort of image stabilisation?
But certainly you're right, the rate of major improvements has plateaued off, whether intentionally or not.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

windex posted:

You have three options:

There's a fourth option of buying a Sony A7R II

https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/

Basically there are things such as shutter shock, mirror slap and general hand held blurriness that a 5Ds/R or 645 can't really get away with unless you use mirror lockup along with fast enough shutter speed or tripod. And it's not worth the file size if you don't do those things for every shot.

But if you go with the A7R II, you can just get an adapter with the Sony and keep on shooting with your canon lenses while just walking around. You can also enjoy the benefit from much more usable high resolution files due to the lack of mirror and what they've learned from the original A7R eg. electronic first curtain and sensor based IS.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

So that's still the case even with canon's hyped mirror brake on the 5Ds? Don't use with out a tripod?

Just curious. For what the 5Ds is meant to be used for (high detail portrait, landscapr, and product photography with Canon lenses), the a7rii is probably a better option

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
I always forget the a7rii because it won't do the kinds of things I use my 5d3 for, and that's a good point. Only problem is the LP/mm of the a7rii is as high as the 5ds(r) and that has the same lens quality issues as the 5ds(r), so a lot of older Canon glass designs are going to look soft on it, unless that lens is well known for legendary sharpness (e.g. 135F2L, most Sigma Art lenses, etc).

The a7rii is also still only a ~40% bump in effective resolution, the 100 megapixel medium format bodies have a lower LP/mm and will probably outperform.

With that said the 5d4 may be a little jump up in resolution, would be nice to know what exactly the print dpi is relative to the 5d3.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

I always forget the a7rii because it won't do the kinds of things I use my 5d3 for, and that's a good point. Only problem is the LP/mm of the a7rii is as high as the 5ds(r) and that has the same lens quality issues as the 5ds(r), so a lot of older Canon glass designs are going to look soft on it, unless that lens is well known for legendary sharpness (e.g. 135F2L, most Sigma Art lenses, etc).

No. The only comparison in which a lens will look "softer" on a higher resolution sensor, is if you are viewing both files at native 100% resolution. Which is a silly and pointless comparison, because one of them is 22MP and one is 50MP - you are magnifying the 50MP image much more than the 22MP one. The 50MP image will always contain more detail, even if the lens isn't resolving as much as a better lens could.

Scale the 22MP up to 50MP, or scale the 50MP down to 22MP, and the 50MP will always look better. Print them at the same size, and the 50MP will always look better. The same thing goes for the motion blur and noise arguments. The 50MP will only look worse if you do a stupid comparison with both files @ their native 100%.

If that was how you compared IQ, my 10D blows them all away, because the images @ 100% barely fill a 4k monitor.

If you are using an Otus , you will get even more gains by going to 50 vs 22, but even if you have a tamron superzoom, it will still look better at any like for like comparison size.

What you lose with those MP beasts is snappy operation and battery life. The 5DS/R and A7RII are both slower and eat way more amps than their lower spec'd peers.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

timrenzi574 posted:

No. The only comparison in which a lens will look "softer" on a higher resolution sensor, is if you are viewing both files at native 100% resolution.

But this is what original asker is doing to notice the print issues to begin with.

If the prints are viewed from a sane distance the pixelation issue would probably not be of note.

The complaint will just shift to soft focus if the caveats are not understood.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

But this is what original asker is doing to notice the print issues to begin with.

If the prints are viewed from a sane distance the pixelation issue would probably not be of note.

The complaint will just shift to soft focus if the caveats are not understood.

That is a fair assessment

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

You still need to buy new lenses if you buy the 645Z though, while you can just upgrade the canon lenses and use it on the 5D3 and A7R2 :v:

And my original point was that you can get more milage for all kind of shooting situations out of the A7R2 compare to the 645Z/5Ds/R even with similar sensor resolution.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

somnambulist posted:

Proper video functionality that the camera is already capable of would be a nice start.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

akadajet posted:

Looks like some specs for the 5D mark iv are leaking out: :toot:

30.4mp
    7fps
    Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
    Built-in Wifi
    24/30fps @ 4K
    60fps @ 1080
    120fps @ 720
    4:2:2
    8bit 500mbps MJPEG
    USB 3
    Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the “Mark XX” badge was.
    A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
    Other ergonomic changes, such as a new “locking switch” on the rear of the camera.

No CFast = no faster video recording :( Was really hoping for some 240FPS options

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 15, 2016

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Nope sorry you're going to have to use your phone if you want high speed video, not your super expensive dslr.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

No CFast = no faster video recording :( Was really hoping for some 240FPS options

Yeah. But 120fps isn't too bad so I'll try to convince my lab to order a crate of 5D4s that will sit on microscopes and stuff till the shutters break.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:toot:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Where's the new 24-105!?!?! aka, Canon admitting they totally hosed up by producing the 24-70 f4

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

Where's the new 24-105!?!?! aka, Canon admitting they totally hosed up by producing the 24-70 f4

http://www.cameraegg.org/ef-16-35mm-f2-8l-iii-usm-ef-24-105mm-f4l-is-ii-usm-images/

Edit: It only weighs 10g less than the 24-70/2.8II. I would expect image quality is going up quite a bit with that big a weight jump.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

These patents are strange.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Think they'll announce any new ef-s lenses?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Selling a couple EF lenses (28 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8) over in the B&S thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=13#post463295393

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Odette posted:

These patents are strange.

quote:

This L lens would be a fast wide-angle telephoto zoom that seems perfect for the 2018 Winter Olympics

Yeah, no. It'll likely have mediocre image quality, no one likes variable aperture, and 5.6 is not fast. You don't have to compromise if you're photographing the Olympics. You can use your 400 f/2.8 and 600 f/4

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Alot of the events don't exactly take place in good light either. 5.6 is absolutely no go.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So how about that newfangled 5Div huh? Would like to get a raw to see how the dual pixel RAW microadjustments work. Also would like to see proper reviews in a few weeks of the sensor quality.

And looking forward to seeing tests of that new 24-105

windex
Aug 2, 2006

KinkyJohn posted:

So how about that newfangled 5Div huh? Would like to get a raw to see how the dual pixel RAW microadjustments work. Also would like to see proper reviews in a few weeks of the sensor quality.

Realchat:

I have money set aside to buy a 5D4 but I don't think I am going to. From the samples on their website, I am okay with acknowledging a 2 stop increase in DR and some extreme work done to improve sharpness (beyond LP/mm, probably the diffraction correction). I see a lot of the things in the finished images that I liked from my obviously terrible EOS M3, e.g. the improvement to resolution and DR. Pairing that with 5D3 or better level AF and the other new features seems great.

From all indications it's a great camera but my 5D3 problems are mostly related to how awkward it is to use compared to my mirrorless cameras and the fact I think I am probably going to quit shooting music for awhile. It makes me sad because I kinda wanted the 5D4 to inspire me back to Canon since I have been shooting decent Canon gear regularly for the last 5 years, and bad Rebels before that, but there's just not that much there that can't be found elsewhere for the type of photography I want to do right now.

Writing that was extremely depressing, but autofocus performance (for shooting music in bad light) has been the linchpin keeping me with a DSLR. Nothing in the 5D4 otherwise is must have for me.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
loving do it don't be a pussy

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

loving do it don't be a pussy

This actually bothers me a lot more than it bothers you. :P

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I use a 5D3 and 6D right now, and I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. I shoot primarily weddings with a healthy dose of sports and portraits thrown in, and while the AF upgrade and frame rate increase would be nice for sports, I don't think it's a large enough jump for me to justify right now. Video AF is cool as hell, but all my video projects are just hobby-level.

It looks like a solid camera and a good incremental upgrade. I bet people will be upset about the 4K only being motion jpeg, though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dakana posted:

I bet people will be upset about the 4K only being motion jpeg, though.
Only internal recording as well, if I'm understanding the press release correctly?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Will the 5d4 let you set exposure comp in manual mode (auto ISO)? That's the only thing that pisses me off about the 5d3.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is motion JPEG really all that bad, now that 64 and even 128 GB cards are coming into widespread use? It's supposed to have better image quality than other compressed video codecs, right? (I know nothing about DSLR video.)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

Will the 5d4 let you set exposure comp in manual mode (auto ISO)? That's the only thing that pisses me off about the 5d3.

Yes. The 7D2 & 5DS/R got that feature down off 1-series only land. You have to set the SET button to exposure compensation and use that to do it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only internal recording as well, if I'm understanding the press release correctly?

Yeah, sounds like HDMI out is only up to 1080p, not 4k.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is motion JPEG really all that bad, now that 64 and even 128 GB cards are coming into widespread use? It's supposed to have better image quality than other compressed video codecs, right? (I know nothing about DSLR video.)

It's not terrible, but it'd be nice to have the option of different encoding so if you're recording an hour-long interview you don't need a 256gb card.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've never seen such an underwhelmed response in this thread to a major Canon release.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mediocre announcement gets mediocre response? :v:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It doesn't hurt that the 5D3 is a rock solid camera that you can get used for ~$1500 now and will keep ticking until the 5D5 or some major breakthrough like noiseless ISO 25600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Unless there's a hidden handjob feature, I'm not gonna pay $3.5k to replace a body that already works well for me.