Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phantasium posted:

There's also that Abzu game that just came out, too.

I'm real tempted to buy it but reviews are kinda mixed. Its supposed to have pretty much nothing to do but walk forward, and its incredibly linear.

But its sooo pretty. And chilling out underwater sounds pretty cool.

But I already have Subnautica and that actually lets you explore and do your own things instead of just going through linear levels... but also isn't nearly as gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did Millia's IAD combo multiple times in the same match today so I'm retiring from Guilty Gear

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If anyone plays Tricky Towers on Steam, PM me, I want people to play Race mode against.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

I did Millia's IAD combo multiple times in the same match today so I'm retiring from Guilty Gear

Going out on a high note like George eh? Nice.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FactsAreUseless posted:

If anyone plays Tricky Towers on Steam, PM me, I want people to play Race mode against.

How much stuff does the single player give you to chew on? I will still probably get it sometime to play online with friends/locally..

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

i'm mad that i didn't get the final clash trophy along with you.

also that my danger time P from the other day didn't record like i thought it did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rayman origins is going to be Ubi's free game giveaway later this month: https://club.ubi.com/#!/en-US/ubi30

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Could I split the difference and get like a Space Truckin game
Man that would be an awesome ga--

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it's called Elite: Dangerous.

Oh, yeah

Been a while since I had my own cognitive dissonance revealed to me in so stark a fashion

Guess I don't really know what I want in a space game, besides having as much fun as I did as a kid with Tie Fighter

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, yeah

Been a while since I had my own cognitive dissonance revealed to me in so stark a fashion

Guess I don't really know what I want in a space game, besides having as much fun as I did as a kid with Tie Fighter

Kudos for at least being able to admit it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

How much stuff does the single player give you to chew on? I will still probably get it sometime to play online with friends/locally..
A fair bit, but the multiplayer is where it shines.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, yeah

Check out the early 2000s PC game Freelancer. It's a drat fine game IMO.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

free lancer rules

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Quick question:

In Persona 4 Golden if I've just had the swimwear contest or whatever where Naoto wins roughly how much longer have I got left of the game?

I'm enjoying it but I'd like to know for how much longer it's gonna consume my life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

101 posted:

Quick question:

In Persona 4 Golden if I've just had the swimwear contest or whatever where Naoto wins roughly how much longer have I got left of the game?

I'm enjoying it but I'd like to know for how much longer it's gonna consume my life

I can't remember the exact point you mean but the game goes until about February and then jumps to the final day.

There is a secret on the final day so make sure to look around carefully. You haven't seen everything in the game until you do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing Bravely Default for the first time...

I dig it except for the constant state of poison. Theres no point in curing it because they just constantly repoison me. Like my entire party spends every battle poisoned and it's lame.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ImpAtom posted:

I can't remember the exact point you mean but the game goes until about February and then jumps to the final day.

There is a secret on the final day so make sure to look around carefully. You haven't seen everything in the game until you do.

Okay, think I've got about 4 months left then.

Thanks for the tip!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

So I'm playing Bravely Default for the first time...

I dig it except for the constant state of poison. Theres no point in curing it because they just constantly repoison me. Like my entire party spends every battle poisoned and it's lame.

turn the battles off

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

turn the battles off

This is a story battle with 2 archers who can't be killed because the boss protects them, and they just shoot poison arrows constantly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tharsis is rapidly becoming the most maddeningly frustrating game I've ever played, and yet since rounds are so short I keep thinking "I'll do one more, see if the RNG gives me a break this time."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't worry.

Beyond a certain point in BD poison actually becomes your friend.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fun fact: the german word for poison is Gift

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tharsis is rapidly becoming the most maddeningly frustrating game I've ever played, and yet since rounds are so short I keep thinking "I'll do one more, see if the RNG gives me a break this time."

tharsis sucks dont play it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

There's also an entire new dungeon if you max out Marie's S-Link.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When will there be a Sonic-like that's built around chilling? Like not going slow like some kinda ironic art piece but like, taking in all the scenery and taking it easy. Just listening to good vibes and feeling them as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ef8SD9gUg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Beelerzebub posted:

Check out the early 2000s PC game Freelancer. It's a drat fine game IMO.

I've heard that but I get really dumb about old 3D games and how they look/feel

I'm probably gonna take a look at Endless Sky after DFO wears off again

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, the random encounters in this game are a joke. Enemies I can oneshot. And the bosses are a slog. I've been fighting this guy for 10 minutes, used 8 antidote's 5 potions 70 mp worth of healing and poisona, 2 phoenix downs, and he's at half health and Im going to wipe.

Edit: and there's no way to quite out of battles.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I might give Rebel Galaxy another spin, too, I don't think I ever got out of the first system in that

God I abandon a lot of games :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

I might give Rebel Galaxy another spin, too, I don't think I ever got out of the first system in that

God I abandon a lot of games :(

Me too brother :hfive:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

Like, the random encounters in this game are a joke. Enemies I can oneshot. And the bosses are a slog. I've been fighting this guy for 10 minutes, used 8 antidote's 5 potions 70 mp worth of healing and poisona, 2 phoenix downs, and he's at half health and Im going to wipe.

Edit: and there's no way to quite out of battles.

Bosses shouldn't take that long, so I'd recommend switching up your strategy

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Accordion Man posted:

There's also an entire new dungeon if you max out Marie's S-Link.

Is there a time limit to this? I'm quite a ways down her social link already (don't have my vita on me right now to check the exact rank)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

101 posted:

Is there a time limit to this? I'm quite a ways down her social link already (don't have my vita on me right now to check the exact rank)
The end of December, just make sure to not beat the dungeon until you complete it because the game timeskips once you do.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

This is a story battle with 2 archers who can't be killed because the boss protects them, and they just shoot poison arrows constantly.

Some searching found who the boss was __Heinkel?___ and the answer to that boss fight is the answer to most boss fights: there are mechanics that make it 100% easier if you do them.

The other option is to find someone with an obscenely limit-broken damage dealing abilink and just burn that on the boss, just make sure it's not Dark Nova or something :suicide:

Ciaphas posted:

I've heard that but I get really dumb about old 3D games and how they look/feel

I'm probably gonna take a look at Endless Sky after DFO wears off again

Freelancer is dated, but fan content is strong, and it has its moments.

I once passed by a ship being stopped for cargo inspection, and they had jettisoned a contraband cargo so the police could confiscate it. I nabbed it while it was floating, and the police did a double take before chasing me down.
I was leaps and bounds faster than them, and I hopped a warp and ditched it halfway, then made for some feature nearby. Sold the contraband and hung out around the seedier outposts until the police weren't going to shoot me on sight anymore.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That moment when you realize the only games you want are old Japanese imports

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

That moment when you realize the only games you want are old Japanese imports

You obviously don't know me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean my issue is basically that I obviously don't know what a boss's gimmick is going to be, or what my damage output should be going into them for the first time.

I got that boss on the second try no problem... now I'm on the next boss and...

It's 2 guys that each have 5k health. And I do about 60 damage per attack. And one of them has healed for 1500hp already. So like, sure if I eventually die, I can come back with a better plan, but it's gonna be like 20 minutes before this fight ends.

Edit: It's just that the random encounters dont really give me a feel for what my builds need to be like to face these bosses. Its like im clowning poo poo with ease and then I get to the boss and it's like "oh your synergy is not remotely good enough for this"

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Uh-oh uh-oh here comes the dude.

And now he's running up and down the street with the juice.

This is actually the second anime for the little guy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
High Level PaRappa Play is the most bizarre thing but it's beautiful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I have no idea what I expected but it was absolutely not what ended up happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Basically in PaRappa you can win by just pressing the buttons at the right time but the game also encourages free styling which is pressing other buttons perfectly within the rhythm between the needed button presses. If you're really good it just all sounds crazy.

• Locked thread