Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How come the Android tablet market is such a poo poo show at the moment?

Lack of demand in general I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

WattsvilleBlues posted:

margin

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The general demand has been sated years ago by iPad 2s and I imagine there's a large amount of used tablets just being resold or given to kids so there's just not a lot of need for a new one.

The real money maker is accessories but cheap Chinese stuff probably kills your market share before it takes off.

I'm interested to see what they do with the new shield. I'd love another android to replace the nexus 7,but nothing compares to how slim and how pure android it is. Nvidia probably has most of the build worked out thanks to doing their own processors and the shield TV thing so it's relatively easy for them to slap together a tablet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pixel C is the best Android Tablet.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The problem being that it's about £200 more than a Shield.
If Tesco were to sell a new Hudl tablet that was on-par with the Hudl2, I'd have one in a heartbeat. Hell, if they kept on selling H2s and put marshmallow on it, I'd leap at it. As it is, I'm eyeballing the Acer Tab 10 a3-40 which looks respectably specced for the price.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I really just want another Nexus 7 or similar sized tablet. Which is why I was probably going to buy a shield until I saw that it's basically two years old at this point so screw that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 that I replaced the original battery on a few months ago after noticing it just wasn't doing super well with keeping a charge, anymore. Despite that, the replacement battery has suddenly had its own issues that lead me to remove it and put the old one back in. (Not keeping accurate account of charge, sudden drainage, suddenly shutting down, etc.)

When removing the battery, I noticed that it felt sort of 'soft', but I can't tell if that's just whatever they're using to wrap the battery or not or if something else is going on. Compared to the original, it feels quite a bit thicker as if it's slightly swollen. Checking on Amazon, I noticed that quite a few people who seemed to have also bought the battery in the same window of time are similarly posting issues, too.

Since I doubt I can get an official new OEM battery for a decent price (or at all), and all the Amazon seller brands seem to be prices way too good to be true, the only other option I see is one from NewPower99. Anyone have any luck with those that make the 4x as expensive worth it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really just want another Nexus 7 or similar sized tablet. Which is why I was probably going to buy a shield until I saw that it's basically two years old at this point so screw that.

Hold on till October/November, get new Shield.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

MikeJF posted:

Got a source on that timeline?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think the market for android tablets is over saturated with cheap rear end tablets for kids and most users use tablets for video and internet surfing with isn't very demanding compared to the use of phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Android Police is reporting that the new Shield has been cancelled.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Well, gently caress.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Tablets are dead long live chromebooks. LOL who would have ever thought that years ago.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like Samsung is going to be alone at the "decent android tablet" market soon. Hell, if it wasn't because my N7 2013 is still in fantastic conditions the K1 would be my only option, now it's a Samsung tablet that will never get updated.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
It's weird that they would pull out. I would guess that the constant supply problems with the Shield K1 means that there is a market for it. I love mine. Cheap, does what it's supposed to do, almost no stjpid bloatware, has all the fancy gamstream interactions if you need that, good update and long term support.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Maybe they cancelled it because nvidia will be making the next Nexus? I really want a new tablet but there is nothing standing out right now.

Horn fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 12, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Horn posted:

Maybe they cancelled it because nvidia will be making the next Nexus? I really want a new tablet but there is nothing speaking out right now.

Google: We Gather So Much Information And Learn So Little

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

LastInLine posted:

Came here to post about it :negative:

They did say hey maybe it's another thing they were working on since the names don't line up but :(

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

LastInLine posted:

It's just a rumor, right? Guys? Guys? :(

If only the Pixel C was sub $400.

Edit: Or maybe RemixOS on a Windows tablet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even iPad sales have been nose-diving. Q1 iPad sales were 20% lower than the same quarter the prior year.

It's becoming clear that the tablet market is less about having a premium large screen second device and more about buying something sub $100 so that your 3 year old doesn't break mom or dads phone.

Large screen phones eroded the small screen tablet market and large screen tablets have stiff competition from full PCs (and now, Chromebooks.)

Oh well, my N7 cost me next to nothing and I use it daily and probably continue using it until it dies at this point. I struggle to think of a piece of tech that I've bought that I think better of.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JayKay posted:

It's just a rumor, right? Guys? Guys? :(

If only the Pixel C was sub $400.

Edit: Or maybe RemixOS on a Windows tablet.

I got mine on swappa in mint condition for 300$

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bull3964 posted:

Even iPad sales have been nose-diving. Q1 iPad sales were 20% lower than the same quarter the prior year.

It's becoming clear that the tablet market is less about having a premium large screen second device and more about buying something sub $100 so that your 3 year old doesn't break mom or dads phone.

Large screen phones eroded the small screen tablet market and large screen tablets have stiff competition from full PCs (and now, Chromebooks.)

Oh well, my N7 cost me next to nothing and I use it daily and probably continue using it until it dies at this point. I struggle to think of a piece of tech that I've bought that I think better of.

Bolded part is what caused me to reconsider keeping a K1 Shield.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I did a quick search and I'm either using the wrong terms or just retarded. I finally got tired of my kid's Kindle Fire and Amazon's OS so I would like to load Android on it. Does anyone have a reliable step by step guide on what to do? It's currently unrooted, it's just the stock Kindle Fire (SV98LN).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

ratbert90 posted:

I got mine on swappa in mint condition for 300$

I think you're the exception. I've had an alert on Swappa for the past month and it seems like $400-$450ish seems to be the going rate.

$300 would be an instant purchase for me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Yeah we've reached the point where cheap disposable Android tablets are the majority of the market for tablets, iPads are like 25% of it, and Windows tablets (mostly the Surface) are over 10% and really eating the high end away from both iOS and Android devices.

The Surface 3 certainly performs rather well for typical tablet stuff, and it'll cost you $600 for the best version, while the Surface Pro 4 is powerful as hell at $900. The iPad Pro series sort of approaches the Surface 3's features but starts at $599 (with the larger model starting at $799) for all around much less. We might legit end up with the tablet market half-and-half full on Windows tablets like the Surfaces with an array of el cheapo Android devices covering most of the bottom range

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Horn posted:

Maybe they cancelled it because nvidia will be making the next Nexus? I really want a new tablet but there is nothing standing out right now.

They are working with Nintendo on the NX, so maybe they just don't have the bandwidth right now to give it the attention it deserves?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's a better than even chance that convertible Chromebooks running Android apps have the lion's share of the market in 12-24 months.

Even if you don't like chrome books, the tech press and even the regular press are constantly extolling their virtues whereas Android tablets may as well not exist.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of which, Asus can have their tablet back. Barely over 4h battery real-world :lol:

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

There's a better than even chance that convertible Chromebooks running Android apps have the lion's share of the market in 12-24 months.

Even if you don't like chrome books, the tech press and even the regular press are constantly extolling their virtues whereas Android tablets may as well not exist.

So I've been looking into getting an Android tablet. The recent conversation culminating in this post makes me think I should hold off for a few months.

But, doing some searching, I found the Asus Chromebook Flip can be had for under 300 shipped, and can function as a tablet as well. And can run the Google Play Store and Android apps.

Not knowing much about technology and what's on the horizon in the market, this seems like not a bad deal at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

crack mayor posted:

So I've been looking into getting an Android tablet. The recent conversation culminating in this post makes me think I should hold off for a few months.

But, doing some searching, I found the Asus Chromebook Flip can be had for under 300 shipped, and can function as a tablet as well. And can run the Google Play Store and Android apps.

Not knowing much about technology and what's on the horizon in the market, this seems like not a bad deal at all.

It is actually a tempting device. On the one hand, the hardware isn't going to be as good as a good dedicated Android tablet. On the other hand, it's also a Chromebook instead of "just" a tablet. Whether that makes it worth it is kind of up to your preferences.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
The only thing really stopping me (this thing is available in my area on Amazon Prime Now haha) is that I already own a Chromebook. I really just wanted a tablet so I could play games and use apps that don't work as well on my phone.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So tablets killed netbooks, and now chromebooks are killing tablets? I guess this is kind of like revenge.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Big smartphones became a thing and laptops/Chromebooks got thinner and cheaper, and together that kind of just squeezed the tablet market down a lot. I still would consider getting a new Nexus tablet though if it was cheap and around 8", just to keep on the coffee table. The N7 is fine but the screen seems small now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still don't get the small storage on Chromebooks, it can't add much more to the cost. Having to load up an SD card is not ideal either. Sure it can replace a Nexus 7 tablet but it's still not a laptop replacement (at least for me).

I am not around dependable wifi or cell coverage on my 4+ hrs of train rides each week - so I currently load movies right onto my 2012 13" 128gb MacBook Air, which is massive overkill for watching movies and multi-tasking (checking emails/web browsing) but it works.

The Dell 13" Chromebook w/ i3 and massive 16GB hard drive is $550. Meh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered using your 4 hours commuting every week to do something more enriching than watching movies? A Kindle can be had for less than $100 and books might be free from your local library!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered using your 4 hours commuting every week to do something more enriching than watching movies? A Kindle can be had for less than $100 and books might be free from your local library!

Amtrak rails in California are horrible and bumpy (worse and slower than 1870 too!) and you get a headache in 20 minutes doing anything besides passively sitting there and you'd probably start puking after 10 trying to read a ebook/book.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Super helpful reply! Thanks! Good job!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Endless Mike posted:

Art is art, regardless of the media.

I mean, I'm a reader, but Christ. I didn't realize horses got this high.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keyser S0ze posted:

I still don't get the small storage on Chromebooks, it can't add much more to the cost. Having to load up an SD card is not ideal either. Sure it can replace a Nexus 7 tablet but it's still not a laptop replacement (at least for me).

I am not around dependable wifi or cell coverage on my 4+ hrs of train rides each week - so I currently load movies right onto my 2012 13" 128gb MacBook Air, which is massive overkill for watching movies and multi-tasking (checking emails/web browsing) but it works.

The Dell 13" Chromebook w/ i3 and massive 16GB hard drive is $550. Meh.

It's because Chrome OS's design hates doing anything locally that isn't absolutely necessary to functioning. So, the manufacturers don't tend to bother putting substantial local storage in, since it would go to waste. If you want something that actually is designed around having meaningful local storage, you need Android or Windows.

It's just one reason of many that Chrome OS is terrible and should have been killed off already, with the money going to improving things like Chrome on Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

It's because Chrome OS's design hates doing anything locally that isn't absolutely necessary to functioning. So, the manufacturers don't tend to bother putting substantial local storage in, since it would go to waste. If you want something that actually is designed around having meaningful local storage, you need Android or Windows.

It's just one reason of many that Chrome OS is terrible and should have been killed off already, with the money going to improving things like Chrome on Android.

That's a little hyperbolic. NAND probably got the old capital treatment: saving two bucks a pop across a million units got someone a tidy bonus. If principle or spite were the huge deals you claim they are would they even have SD slots? Oh yeah: even a 16 GB Chromebook has more user-accessible storage than more than half of all Android phones, even though that number includes basically no Android phone worth buying.

Also Chrome on Android without extensions means Chrome on Android without reliable ad-block means Chrome on Android is useless. Man, if Android ran full-fat Chrome you probably wouldn't need the rest of Android anymore save as backward compatibility.