Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

A close friend that I love and respect told me today that he is concerned that there isn't more attention being paid to Hillary's "health problems."

I replied, "Regardless of political affiliation it should not really matter and it's all baseless speculation anyway."

He said, "But did you see her walking up those stairs!? That's not normal."

I replied, "FDR had polio."

He said, "Well, that's not the same, she obviously has some neurological condition."

I. loving. Quit.

Further emphasis and clarification for Mechafunkzilla:

*baseless speculation
*polio IS a neurological disorder

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Did any one hear that North Carolina will still be using their racist and unconstitutional districts for voting this year

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

Did any one hear that North Carolina will still be using their racist and unconstitutional districts for voting this year

It's only the state legislative districts and it wouldn't matter since a third of them have no challenger.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've given up trying to call the Confederate Flag a flag of hate and racism, and just call it a flag of traitors and losers.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My fat black GIRLFRIEND likes cards against humanity. Lol at swj's bitching about those evil white bro's and their sense of humor.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

What's up with those Hillary health problems?

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/763885052770054145

edit: You are gonna have to click that, doesn't embed right when it's multiple tweets I guess

Trump seems real low energy lately. Wonder how his health is?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
I mean I have a simliar friend, lifelong republican lately switched horses to libertarian, because the republican party's courses of action on social issues is just too bible-slappingly racist. An intelligent guy, a nice guy. But woe betide you if you bring up Hillary Clinton. There is a real fear, and sometimes even hatred there, it's unsettling. Like fires of the sun hate.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dirt posted:

edit: You are gonna have to click that, doesn't embed right when it's multiple tweets I guess

The vindication of Prester Jane continues...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"Hillary has health problems" is a weird angle for Drudge to push since I'm pretty sure their readership would be much happier with a Kaine presidency.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

What the gently caress does that have to do with Short Circuit? Like for real.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Happy Friday everybody

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The second mention of Friday has to be a joke referencing his own goof, right? Also I mean, let's be real, who doesn't sometimes forget what day it is? Especially considering the days of the week probably have little meaning to the candidates at this point.

Not trying to be a Trump defender but this seems like a pretty dumb thing to care about.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

prom candy posted:

The second mention of Friday has to be a joke referencing his own goof, right? Also I mean, let's be real, who doesn't sometimes forget what day it is? Especially considering the days of the week probably have little meaning to the candidates at this point.

Not trying to be a Trump defender but this seems like a pretty dumb thing to care about.

Happy Friday fellow American

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
calendars are biased by the liberal media

edit: vaguely related, but it was mentioned on Chapo Trap House way back that election day this year would've been the 18th of Brumaire in the French Revolutionary calendar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_of_18_Brumaire

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Trump promises to change every day to Friday, wins in a landslide and everybody works weekends now.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

prom candy posted:

this seems like a pretty dumb thing to care about.

I feel like this sums up a good 75% of political "gaffes" over the past 15 years, if not longer.

33rd Degree Idiot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 12, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

prom candy posted:

You're right, Trump is well known for self-deprecation.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

prom candy posted:

https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/763884506390683648

I worry about his health tbh

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

That said, I've confused dates, but I've never went full Spinal Tap on the days. At least not as a sober adult, anyway.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
To be fair he's probably just tired.

Nothing to worry about, the President's schedule is pretty relaxed.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

politifact rates this as: mostly true, both days are days that end with "y"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

That said, I've confused dates, but I've never went full Spinal Tap on the days. At least not as a sober adult, anyway.

Trump is neither of these things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm ok with Hilary dying in office during her 4th term after having passed a ton of social welfare programs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

prom candy posted:

Dude, it's funny

it's not an actual indictment of him

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Valhawk posted:

I know this is a bit old, but this is a really stupid statement. Speaking as a former telecom regulator you can't do it at the state level because the FCC has already preempted virtually all state power to regulate broadband. States are not permitted rate setting authority, consumer protection rule making, it's even questionable whether state truth in billing regs apply.

There is no possibility of state action on regulating broadband.

Except the repeal of the bad laws on the books?

You seem to have misunderstood my intent.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

quote:

Alabama: Municipal communications services must be self-sustaining, "thus impairing bundling and other common industry marketing practices." Municipalities cannot use "local taxes or other funds to pay for the start-up expenses that any capital-intensive project must pay until the project is constructed and revenues become sufficient to cover ongoing expenses and debt service."

Arkansas: Only municipalities that operate electric utilities may provide communications services, but they aren't allowed to provide "basic local exchange service," i.e. traditional phone service.

California: Public entities are generally allowed to provide communications services, but "Community Service Districts" may not if any private entity is willing to do so.

Colorado: Municipalities must hold a referendum before providing cable, telecommunications, or broadband service, unless the community is unserved.

Florida: Imposes special tax on municipal telecommunications service and a profitability requirement that makes it difficult to approve capital-intensive communications projects.

Louisiana: Municipalities must hold referendums before providing service and "impute to themselves various costs that a private provider might pay if it were providing comparable services."

Michigan: Municipalities must seek bids before providing telecom services and can move forward only if they receive fewer than three qualified bids.

Minnesota: 65 percent of voters must approve before municipalities can offer local exchange services or operate facilities that support communications services.

Missouri: Cities and towns can't sell telecom services or lease telecom facilities to private providers "except for services used for internal purposes; services for educational, emergency, and health care uses; and 'Internet-type' services."

Nebraska: Public broadband services are generally prohibited except when provided by power utilities. However, "public power utilities are permanently prohibited from providing such services on a retail basis, and they can sell or lease dark fiber on a wholesale basis only under severely limited conditions."

Nevada: Municipalities with at least 25,000 residents and counties with at least 50,000 residents may not provide telecommunications services.

North Carolina: "Numerous" requirements make it impractical to provide public communications services. "For example, public entities must comply with unspecified legal requirements, impute phantom costs into their rates, conduct a referendum before providing service, forego popular financing mechanisms, refrain from using typical industry pricing mechanisms, and make their commercially sensitive information available to their incumbent competitors."

Pennsylvania: Municipalities cannot sell broadband services if a "local telephone company" already provides broadband, even if the local telephone company charges outrageously high prices or offers poor quality service.

South Carolina: The state "requires governmental providers to comply with all legal requirements that would apply to private service providers, to impute phantom costs into their prices, including funds contributed to stimulus projects, taxes that unspecified private entities would incur, and other unspecified costs."

Tennessee: Municipalities that own electric utilities may provide telecom services within their electric service areas "upon complying with various public disclosure, hearing, voting, and other requirements that a private provider would not have to meet. Municipalities that do not operate electric utilities can provide services only in 'historically unserved areas,' and only through joint ventures with the private sector."

Texas: The state "prohibits municipalities and municipal electric utilities from offering telecommunications services to the public either directly or indirectly through a private telecommunications provider."

Utah: Various procedural and accounting requirements imposed on municipalities would be "impossible for any provider of retail services to meet, whether public or private." Municipal providers that offer services at wholesale rather than retail are exempt from some of the requirements, "but experience has shown that a forced wholesale-only model is extremely difficult, or in some cases, impossible to make successful."

Virginia: Municipal electric utilities can offer phone and Internet services "provided that they do not subsidize services, that they impute private-sector costs into their rates, that they do not charge rates lower than the incumbents, and that [they] comply with numerous procedural, financing, reporting and other requirements that do not apply to the private sector." Other requirements make it nearly impossible for municipalities to offer cable service, except in Bristol, which was grandfathered.

Washington: The state "authorizes some municipalities to provide communications services but prohibits public utility districts from providing communications services directly to customers."

Wisconsin: Cities and towns must "conduct a feasibility study and hold a public hearing prior to providing telecom, cable, or Internet services." Additionally, the state "prohibits 'subsidization' of most cable and telecom services and prescribes minimum prices for telecommunications services."

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Madkal posted:

Trump is neither of these things.

He's a drunken and destructive toddler, with the hair to match.

He's pissing on America's shoe's, rubbing his poo poo on the walls, sticking forks in electrical sockets, or throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get his way.

And much of America is just giggling at it and excusing him, saying it's all just a phase and refusing to correct him.

This is the child you raised, GOP. Now all of us, you included, have to loving deal with it. Thanks.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

politifact rates this as: mostly true, both days are days that end with "y"

Perfect

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

I've given up trying to call the Confederate Flag a flag of hate and racism, and just call it a flag of traitors and losers.

i'm from the south and let me tell you it never ever gets old to refer to it as the "traitor's rag" in front of those types

speng31b
May 8, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm from the south and let me tell you it never ever gets old to refer to it as the "traitor's rag" in front of those types

How are you not dead?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

speng31b posted:

How are you not dead?

Times have changed.

Used to be you could put a gun to a hippy's head in a diner and demand he cut his hair then and there, while the Sheriff nods a "good mornin" from his table over his coffee and eggs.

Now a days you probably couldn't even do that in the parking lot of a Waffle House...at least not with the Sheriff in uniform.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Franco Potente posted:

New Gravis/Breitbart (LOL, I know) poll on ME:

Clinton: 43%
Trump: 33%
Johnson: 10%
Stein: 5%

Funny that Clinton seems to be doing better in NH than ME, but I guess ME has more of the rural, non-college pop that seems attuned to Trump's message.
Probably for the same reason we elected Paul LePage as Governor twice this decade. :suicide:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RuanGacho posted:

Except the repeal of the bad laws on the books?

You seem to have misunderstood my intent.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

It's disgusting really. I just don't have the words. Being against the law to provide a public option internet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

speng31b posted:

How are you not dead?

They generally have no idea how to respond to it. Especially if you add enough venom into the pronunciation of traitors. It's pretty funny actually.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How did Matt Drudge ever become a thing?

Blowjobs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
THE FINAL PIVOT: LESS THAN 24 HOURS REMAIN

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/donald-trump-rnc-meeting-226938

quote:

Donald Trump’s campaign and top Republican Party officials plan what one person called a “come to Jesus” meeting on Friday in Orlando to discuss the Republican nominee’s struggling campaign, according to multiple sources familiar with the scheduled sit-down.

Though a campaign source dismissed it as a "typical" gathering, others described it as a more serious meeting, with one calling it an "emergency meeting." It comes at a time of mounting tension between the campaign and the Republican National Committee, which is facing pressure to pull the plug on Trump’s campaign and redirect party funds down ballot to protect congressional majorities endangered by Trump’s candidacy.

The request for the Orlando Ritz Carlton meeting originated with Trump’s campaign, according to a source familiar with the broad details, and is being viewed by RNC officials as a sign that the campaign has come to grips with the difficulty it is having in maintaining a message and running a ground game.

“They want to patch up a rift that just keeps unfolding,” one source said. “They finally realize they need the RNC for their campaign because, let’s face it, there is no campaign.”

Another person familiar with the meeting, a Republican operative who works with the campaign, said the planned gathering was “a come-to-Jesus meeting.” That source said that many Trump campaign staffers share the party officials’ frustrations with Trump’s penchant for self-sabotaging rhetoric. “What’s bothering people on the campaign is that they feel like they’re doing all the right things, but they’re losing every news cycle to Hillary and there’s nothing they can do about it.”

Wait...

quote:

The campaign official said Trump, who is scheduled to travel to Pennsylvania on Friday, was not slated to attend the meeting, but that Karen Giorno, a senior adviser to the campaign, was.

Never mind.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So are they just going to shut it down from underneath him? That'll go well.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I want to watch Trump break on national television.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I predict it happens during the first debate. Assuming Trump doesn't chicken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luminous Obscurity posted:

What would that even look like compared to how he is now? I expect him to make a gradual decline all the way to the election.

edit: I'm planning a Christmas trip back to the States right now and I have to keep reminding myself that that will be in a post-election world that I can't visualize very well.

• Locked thread