Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Is there a whole genre of bitter melon-based sauces that I'm unfamiliar with because I don't read the right languages? Because I've got more bitter melons coming out of the garden than I know what to do with, and went looking for suggestions and didn't get anything too spectacular. Been making pickles, freezing a shitload, and so on. Decided to try making a vinegar-based bitter melon purée sauce, like a condiment sauce, basically just a shitload of bitter melon, garlic, heavy hand on the ginger, and a couple of bhuts. It's really loving tasty, in that particular way that the flavours come together that makes me believe this has got to be A Thing in some cuisine or other because how could it not be.

Downside: it pretty much looks exactly like vomit. Should probably throw in some bell pepper or something like that just to improve the colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drink and Fight posted:

Supersizers is amazing, everyone should watch it.

Claret.

this looks pretty good, def gonna watch it.

on the topic of food TV, anyone else got any other non-US suggestions? I'm sort of out of cooking / food things worth watching at the moment. I got into some of the CCTV stuff after watching their 'bite of china' thing which was pretty loving awesome - and I'm now convinced the cure to my food/cooking/documentary glut is mining other country's cooking networks for content.

I found some great documentaries on welsh TV when I was living in the UK, but I could only stream them via channel 4 while on a british network. :( and I don't really have it in me to secure a VPN connection to each country I wanna watch some dumb food TV in.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

on the topic of food TV, anyone else got any other non-US suggestions? I'm sort of out of cooking / food things worth watching at the moment. I got into some of the CCTV stuff after watching their 'bite of china' thing which was pretty loving awesome - and I'm now convinced the cure to my food/cooking/documentary glut is mining other country's cooking networks for content.

I found some great documentaries on welsh TV when I was living in the UK, but I could only stream them via channel 4 while on a british network. :( and I don't really have it in me to secure a VPN connection to each country I wanna watch some dumb food TV in.

Two Fat Ladies?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I've mentioned this before but The Katering Show is pretty great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll give em a look as well. I skew a little more towards documentary / technique / history shows than entertainment-involving-food shows. like I'll nerd out with some ray mears or some thing about the fishing industry in south africa, or a french show about perfecting pastry or some heston blumenthal or whatever

I can't remember if this was posted here or not, but this was a proclick for me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pII_2VbgheI - 2h documentary about a microclimate in japan, sort of related to food I guess?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

mindphlux posted:

I don't know how informative it is since it's a cooking show, but I loved watching Two Fat Ladies growing up. It's incredibly British so you've probably heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FacCeRFWKx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJoIH3Omho4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgOpmgkRok

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

You've seen gently caress, That's Delicious, right? And The Mind of A Chef.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Pro fukkin click, there

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Drink and Fight posted:

Season 2 just came to the US half an hour ago!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Drink and Fight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SjJm7yfek

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha I came in here just to post that

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Midniter posted:

I'd actually rather there not be an American version of TGBBO, casseroles or not.

Ironically I think TGBBO was inspired by the Pillsbury Bake-Off: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillsbury_Bake-Off

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

esperantinc posted:

Since cooking shows came up, shout out to Masterchef Australia for being what a (televised reality show for amateurs) cooking competition should be.

It's a monster - 60+ episodes of an hour each, per season. I like the UK series' too, even the celebrity edition - the contestants are just treated like normals: tough challenges, honest criticism. I think at least one has gone on to be a cook after appearing on the show.

mindphlux posted:

I'll give em a look as well. I skew a little more towards documentary / technique / history shows than entertainment-involving-food shows. like I'll nerd out with some ray mears or some thing about the fishing industry in south africa, or a french show about perfecting pastry or some heston blumenthal or whatever

There are a few gems on netflix. Restaurant Australia was good, though only 3 episodes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You've seen gently caress, That's Delicious, right? And The Mind of A Chef.

havent seen gently caress that's delicious, I'll add it to my list

mind of a chef fuckin owns

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My former flat mate (amazing cook) was on MC Australia. Here in the UK they also have MC professionals, which is very good, and Celebrity MC (less so).

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

havent seen gently caress that's delicious, I'll add it to my list

mind of a chef fuckin owns

If you like gently caress, that's delicious you might also like a lot of the other shows on Vice's Munchies channel. Their Guide to series can be pretty great, depending on the local host, I kind of enjoy the Matty Matheson Canada show and Chef's night out can be quite entertaining or insufferable.

As a teaser have some a Chef's night out where some Danes eat ungodly amounts of food, get shitfaced and try to communicate in their incomprehensible heathen gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCWAFSBo2ak

Bourdain's various travel shows are also pretty damned great, but I imagine you are already aware of those.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love Action Bronson, but for some reason I just could not get into gently caress, that's delicious.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I love Action Bronson, but for some reason I just could not get into gently caress, that's delicious.

I really like it at first but then I just got tired of his shtick. Same with Matty Matheson, really.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

sweat poteto posted:

It's a monster - 60+ episodes of an hour each, per season. I like the UK series' too, even the celebrity edition - the contestants are just treated like normals: tough challenges, honest criticism. I think at least one has gone on to be a cook after appearing on the show.

Oh no doubt it's a marathon. I generally have to watch in little weekly binges to catch up.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

mindphlux posted:

I can't remember if this was posted here or not, but this was a proclick for me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pII_2VbgheI - 2h documentary about a microclimate in japan, sort of related to food I guess?

There's a BBC documentary series called The Spice Trail:
Pepper & Cinnamon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfiduVxE2I
Nutmeg & Cloves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12iOZ3PfRpI
Vanilla & Saffron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSCr2xKXaQ

I was going to suggest Gordon Ramsay's youtube channel since he's hunting his own food in exotic places like New Zealand and Oklahoma, but then you mentioned entertainment-involving-food shows and I guess that's what that is

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 12, 2016

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Coming out of lurking to say that I love the Great British Baking Show. I made a drat Prinsessatarta because of that show.

Also, a friend is bragging about her "amazing" zucchini casserole on Facebook and it's killing me. It's zucchini, broccoli, onion, and ground beef tossed in eggs and mayonnaise, topped with Velveeta and baked until mush. :barf: doesn't begin to cover it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It was probably a tasty episode. I did see a pretty decent pork chili from Tasty but the cook wasn't the one with sausage hands so it didn't use a block of cream cheese.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Chopped in all it's variations, except for Canadian Chopped. It just seems... off. Not quite right. The contestants are weird.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love Chopped in all it's variations, except for Canadian Chopped. It just seems... off. Not quite right. The contestants are weird.

To borrow from the Simpsons Quote thread

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The first two seasons of Mind of a Chef were loving fantastic. I tried to find it on my local public tv station when it came back for season 3 last fall, but could never find it. I hope it pops up on Netflix soon. I don't get Viceland, but my buddy showed me the Alaska episode of gently caress, That's Delicious and I didn't get the appeal. I tried to segue him to Bourdain (bit of a reach) and Huang (closer to FTD from what I saw) but he wasn't all that interested. He doesn't really cook at all though.

As far as Netflix goes Cooked is what is quite possibly my favorite miniseries made about cuisine ever. Super interesting, Pollan is good on camera, and the camerawork is amazing. I think I'm going to knock out all 4 (iirc) episodes between tonight and tomorrow morning for the third or fourth time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Food show related: sausage party is the worst film of all time.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Food show related: sausage party is the worst film of all time.

apparently a large part of how it met budgetary needs or w/e was by bullying staff into unpaid overtime and then leaving them out of the credits when they said "man wtf?"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Trebuchet King posted:

apparently a large part of how it met budgetary needs or w/e was by bullying staff into unpaid overtime and then leaving them out of the credits when they said "man wtf?"

You just made the film, impossibly, even worse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in France and just had some amazing cheese: St Felicien Tentation. So drat good. Went to stock up at supermarket this morning (going to market tomorrow, don't worry) and was amused by the range of chilled puddings: crime brûlée with a sachet of caramel to sprinkle on top and grill; chestnut with purée; rum babas etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm encouraged by the progress of american cheesemakers over the past 10 years, but goddamnit if I'm not just frustrated as hell every time I go to france and walk in a fromagerie

thanks for making me cheesefrustrated :mad:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I'm encouraged by the progress of american cheesemakers over the past 10 years, but goddamnit if I'm not just frustrated as hell every time I go to france and walk in a fromagerie

It's the FDA's doing. They mean well - and, frankly, our food safety regulations hadn't been updated in 70 years so they definitely needed touching up - but they choose stupid hills to die on. My cheesemonger can't even get pasteurized brie from overseas right now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

It's the FDA's doing. They mean well - and, frankly, our food safety regulations hadn't been updated in 70 years so they definitely needed touching up - but they choose stupid hills to die on. My cheesemonger can't even get pasteurized brie from overseas right now.

There's an actress named Brie Larson and it only recently occurred to me she's named after cheese.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

bartolimu posted:

I saw the cheese-making thread and got wide-eyed at the possibilities. Then I asked around about unpasteurized milk. Everyone told me you have to know a farmer personally and even then they couldn't legally sell it to you.

I can make cheese with pasteurized milk but what's the point :negative:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Meh, I still make paneer sometimes. The freshness is nice.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

MrSlam posted:

I saw the cheese-making thread and got wide-eyed at the possibilities. Then I asked around about unpasteurized milk. Everyone told me you have to know a farmer personally and even then they couldn't legally sell it to you.

If you rented a cow for some time, the milk would be yours!

Joking aside, this made think a milk co-op would allow you to get unpasteurised milk. Googled, and lo and behold, it's Canada, but still: https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2010/01/21/court_approves_raw_milk_coop.html

Edit:

quote:

The cows will still give their milk and their owners will still savour frothy mouthfuls straight from the farm. But now, the infamous cow-share program of Durham, ON, is legal in the eyes of the law.

In a surprise move, a Newmarket court ruled Thursday that dairy farmer Michael Schmidt is allowed to continue his raw milk co-operative and that his venture does not break laws against selling unpasteurized milk.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MrSlam posted:

It's for your pet, right? Totally legal!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

We went to the market today. We already had some petit Basque (we're near the Pyrenees) and we picked up three more, including a beautiful firm goat cheese almost like a young pecorino, with a creaminess I've not tasted with goat before, and a green pesto cheese just to try (wife more than me; the pesto overwhelmed the cheese for me). I also got a small jar of wonderful honey to eat with the chèvre, a local melon, and some olives

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

We went to the market today. We already had some petit Basque (we're near the Pyrenees) and we picked up three more, including a beautiful firm goat cheese almost like a young pecorino, with a creaminess I've not tasted with goat before, and a green pesto cheese just to try (wife more than me; the pesto overwhelmed the cheese for me). I also got a small jar of wonderful honey to eat with the chèvre, a local melon, and some olives

You in Languedoc? That's like my one of my favourite places ever, and yes all the food is absolutely awesome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You in Languedoc? That's like my one of my favourite places ever, and yes all the food is absolutely awesome.

I am indeed. We were in a bit of a rush (hungry tired child) so didn't linger as long as I'd have liked to, but the produce also looked absolutely fantastic. We only got here Sunday eve but are very happy so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I wanted a beer so I tried the nearest thing the village shop had to a craft beer: a Leffe Royale Cascade, made with Cascade hops in the US IPA style. 1) I learned that Leffe is part of AB InBev, the massive international beer/alcohol company. 2) I also learned that the beer is absolutely disgusting. i poured it down the drain (and I really needed a drink). It had an unusual sweetness, almost like it had been sweetened, and an overpowering not very pleasant flavour. I like a bit of sweetness and a full body, but this was just too much. Really gross.