Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Hold on, they rivet your plates in place there? Those must stay with the car, then.
Yeah, the plate follows the car. They don't have to be permanently attached, but license plate theft is a thing so riveting it in place is a cheap deterrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Collateral Damage posted:

The country sticker hasn't been required for ages. In the EU the country code is part of the license plate since 1990, and afaik it was never a requirement in the US?

IIRC the oval was (is?) required if you take your car to a foreign country and you don't have the flag/letters on your plates. Norway introduced the flag plates in 2006, so it's not exactly ancient history - though I think we were among the last.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

spog posted:

They don't stay with yours?

We (UK) only take plates off if we are swapping for a private (vanity) plates

Depends on the state you're in. Some states have them stay with the driver.

Here in Minnesota, the plates stay with the car, but are replaced every ten years, and there are several special plates you can get if you donate to wildlife conservation at your yearly registration, so they're screwed on. Granted, the screws are usually rusted solid!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My plates have been stolen three times in my life and my current one is bent from an attempted theft. I like the idea of rivetting them in place.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

My plates have been stolen three times in my life and my current one is bent from an attempted theft. I like the idea of rivetting them in place.

Sharpen the edge before you do.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What good are stolen license plates? Just slap them on your unregged car and hope no one notices?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Maybe they're just getting into the early drag car / fuelie look.

I was gonna say prerunner.

Is license plate theft still a thing? Seems like now that every police car has quick access to run said plate, and some are even automatically scanning all plates, it really becomes worthless almost immediately.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Stealing fuel with a stolen or copied number plate is a big thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is license plate theft still a thing? Seems like now that every police car has quick access to run said plate, and some are even automatically scanning all plates, it really becomes worthless almost immediately.

It happens a lot here. As Cakefool says it's really common to use a series of stolen plates to keep stolen trucks on the road since it's a lot easier to steal a plate than another car.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Depends on the state you're in. Some states have them stay with the driver.

Here in Minnesota, the plates stay with the car, but are replaced every ten years, and there are several special plates you can get if you donate to wildlife conservation at your yearly registration, so they're screwed on. Granted, the screws are usually rusted solid!

It also depends on the country in Europe. Cause, you know, they have wildly differing laws and regulations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Would, that's awesome.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Code Jockey posted:

Would, that's awesome.

It looks like bulldog trying to look imposing.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm wondering what the hell it does to the suspension roll center.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

This owns. :colbert:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was thinking Gasser style.

The stolen plate thing works since it would take most people days if not weeks to actually notice that their license plate is missing. Being idiot teenagers, we stole the plates off of a friends car and he didn't even notice. Gave them back to him after a day or two and he was super confused.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I've had my registration sticker stolen off a car once. They cut that corner of my license plate off. I didn't notice until a cop pulled me over to let me know.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My plate was stolen off my VFR this spring. I had just memorized the last goddamn plate number, I'm still working on memorizing this one. I know it didn't fall off because I check the plate screws daily out of paranoia.

Someone seems to have gotten interrupted in the theft of my current plate with security style bolts because I found it hanging by one the other day. I zip tied it on the missing side for now until I find an option for plate security that's actually worthwhile.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
To which ever one of you goons is continually stealing his license plate:

:golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honestly if someone stole my plates and put random other ones on in place I doubt I'd notice till I got pulled over. Fortunately they mostly seem to just take the plates.

No one except my neighbors and people who grew up in the neighborhood even realizes the road I park my cars on exists, though, so I doubt I have much to worry about. My plates did get stolen off my 96 XJ in 2010 but I'm reasonably certain it's because I had it parked in an upscale neighborhood a few blocks from my apartment and someone decided to try and get my ugly car towed by taking its plates off and calling it in as abandoned.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

To which ever one of you goons is continually stealing his license plate:

:golfclap:

I live in the ghetto, I doubt it was a goon. They die if removed from the suburbs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I live in the ghetto, I doubt it was a goon. They die if removed from the suburbs.
Even from you, the utter lack of self-awareness is impressive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had the plates on my cars stolen twice.

Doesn't help that AZ has actual copper historic plates.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

i thought Pittsburgh was a cool city that wasn't lovely at all???

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krakkles posted:

Even from you, the utter lack of self-awareness is impressive.

I died years ago.

Alaois posted:

Everywhere I am is the worst part of wherever I am

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Alaois posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=705#post463051935

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

I died years ago.

Everywhere I am is the worst part of wherever I am

It's almost as if there were some common theme or denominator.

vv I'm a sucker for dragging out punch lines.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 11, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's almost as if there were some common theme or denominator.

i think that was :thejoke:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 4, 2020

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this was either a labor of love, or a distraction from the worst relationship in history.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A happy ending!

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Powershift posted:

Stance is dumb

Stance is extra dumb when some of your potholes have roads on them. The proud people of Azerbaijan have come up with a new way to make your car look dumb while still being able to hit potholes.

Presenting: azelow

Basically, you take a lovely car, lower the back end and jack up the front.

https://new.vk.com/azelow

that type of stance is really common on donks. at least, the type where they're squatting down as low as possible on those big rims.

they usually are able to get the rears tucked in a good deal more than the front due to clearances needed for steering, and they often sit nose up.

i like donks - i am the terrible car stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's been a thing in truck circles for a while, too; they call it "bulldogging".

There's also "reverse bulldogging" which is jacking the rear end end way up so you're staring through the windshield down at the road while driving.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gomi Day posted:

that type of stance is really common on donks. at least, the type where they're squatting down as low as possible on those big rims.

they usually are able to get the rears tucked in a good deal more than the front due to clearances needed for steering, and they often sit nose up.

That car would look infinitely better stock.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Gomi Day posted:

Speaking of donks, I finally saw my first donk in the wild today. Except it wasn't one of those really well done themed donks. All I saw when I was turning was that it was green and there was "Green Lantern" written out in what looked like green tape on the sill.

I wish I had been able to get a picture of it because it was interesting, but definitely would have fit right at home in the thread.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

PCOS Bill posted:

That car would look infinitely better stock.

it wasn't the best example, but imgur was sending me into an infinite verification loop, whenever i tried to upload an image, right now.

you'll find tonnes of examples of what i'm talking about, both bad and good with a GIS for "26 inch donk squat"

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 12, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DarkSol posted:

Speaking of donks, I finally saw my first donk in the wild today. Except it wasn't one of those really well done themed donks. All I saw when I was turning was that it was green and there was "Green Lantern" written out in what looked like green tape on the sill.

I wish I had been able to get a picture of it because it was interesting, but definitely would have fit right at home in the thread.

We've got a donk in town with hot pink underglow and led strips mounted in the rims. I'd drive it while laughing my rear end off. It is in fact awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

That's been a thing in truck circles for a while, too; they call it "bulldogging".

There's also "reverse bulldogging" which is jacking the rear end end way up so you're staring through the windshield down at the road while driving.

On trucks it started as the cali lean, because pre-runners with soft long travel suspensions naturally squat at the back, so guys who wanted that but didn't want to spend $10k on suspension started just installing the front half of a lift kit so people thought they had a pre-runner. then it naturally got out of hand.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My favorite is the guys who put leveling kits on their trucks to "correct" the natural stance unloaded HD pickups have. And not just on brodozers, I see it on actual work trucks that are regularly loaded to max and beyond. Apparently these guys have no problem carrying 3 tons of weight in the bed while having no direct sightline to the road ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I see donks all the time. They are super common in my neighborhood and I think some of them are cool looking and others are poo poo. There's a wide range, in my mind.