Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Haven't heard much talk about Travis Benjamin, what's everyones thoughts on him this year? He did surprisingly good on the Browns last season and he's now the #2 in San Diego being drafted in the late rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looking for players to fill an experimental league where almost everyone is a flex play. One quarterback. Six flex positions. Four bench players. It's the Superflex League!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784259

We have seven spots left. No idea if this will be a good idea or craptacular, but it should be an offense-a-palooza. Auction draft, FAAB, PPR, one keeper. I figured if you're gonna experiment, go hog wild. :)

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

VietCampo posted:

Haven't heard much talk about Travis Benjamin, what's everyones thoughts on him this year? He did surprisingly good on the Browns last season and he's now the #2 in San Diego being drafted in the late rounds.
Week-to-week volatility may be a problem but I think Benjamin will be a solid WR3 this year. If Keenan Allen doesn't see some obscene 30% target share, Benjamin will have plenty of volume to work with. Rivers loved throwing deep to Malcolm Floyd and Benjamin should settle into that role nicely.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Michael Thomas looks p decent so far, but lolpreseason.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/DrawPlayDave/status/763893890277527552

Tee hee

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

VietCampo posted:

Michael Thomas looks p decent so far, but lolpreseason.

There's been nothing but positive talk about him all preseason from the camp writers. I think he's going to have a great rapport with Brees.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Something about the Bear's backfield makes me think I'll get Langford and Howard as his handcuff and end up losing out on Kadeem Carey.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Doltos posted:

Something about the Bear's backfield makes me think I'll get Langford and Howard as his handcuff and end up losing out on Kadeem Carey.

Something about the Bear's backfield makes me not even gonna touch it with a 100 foot pole. Actually make that the Bear's in general.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

VietCampo posted:

Something about the Bear's backfield makes me not even gonna touch it with a 100 foot pole. Actually make that the Bear's in general.

No doubt I'd agree just because of their defense alone but Chicago finished with the #1 ranked run blocking DVOA last year somehow. That's bound to be worth at least a little touching with a pole.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doltos posted:

I've been stashing Howard and Carey in every dynasty league I can, despite owning 0 shares of Langford. I think that's the play, rather than spending the pick on Langford.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

In muddy situations, invest in the cheapest guy imo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RVProfootballer posted:

I've been stashing Howard and Carey in every dynasty league I can, despite owning 0 shares of Langford. I think that's the play, rather than spending the pick on Langford.

Yeah you're probably right. Langford is such a plodder and never makes anyone miss. He'll get carries for sure and Jon Fox is whimsical with his backfields.

The other issue is I only have 6 bench spots in a 14 person league. I typically spend 5 of those spots on passed over starters and the last pick on risky speculation picks like Howard or Carey hoping for poor play out of a starter on a top offensive line team.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Silly Burrito posted:

There's been nothing but positive talk about him all preseason from the camp writers. I think he's going to have a great rapport with Brees.
I think Michael Thomas is going to be the most productive rookie WR. Size matters for Brees in the red zone; he loves targeting his TEs and Marques Colston. Now Thomas is the new Colston.

One of my favorite OTA anecdotes was about him:

"New Orleans Times Picayune posted:

"His improvement over these six practices has been awesome," Brees said after the Thursday workout. "From day one until now, the same mistakes are not being made. He's on to the next set of challenges, and he's continuing to progress well."

But what happened on that one play Thursday impressed Brees more than anything.

He raved about it after the workout.

It was a third-down play on which the Saints put seven defenders even with the first-down marker. The call was for Thomas to run an 18-yard out route.

But, with an unspoken visual cue, Brees told Thomas to take another route.

"I gave him a route that we have literally never repped before together," Brees said. "In fact, I don't think we'd ever even talked about it. But I was just in the moment, and he's my guy at that position, so I gave him the signal. He goes and makes the play and ran the route just like I imagined."

Instead of taking a right turn toward the sideline at 18 yards from the line of scrimmage, Thomas took a couple hard stutter steps to trick the defender into thinking the turn was coming. And then he continued forward.

Thomas said it was important to make all his routes look the same before turned in any direction.

"I knew I would be able to get away with it if I kept everything looking tight and made it look like the original route that I was on and then broke it out," Thomas said. "I just had to be professional and run the route like that."
The kid is a natural pro and Brees is going to love him.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 12, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Some notes from Pats - Saints
Pats:
- James White looked really inconsistent with the ball in his hands. Would make a great cut or two on one play, then follow it up by nearly tripping over his own feet on another. Lapses in concentration look like a persistent problem, and physical conditioning may be a concern (he seemed to just peter out on his long play of the night, let himself get brought down at the goal line).
- The 1st-team defense showed a continued emphasis on turnovers. This defense is looking to generate fumbles and poach passing lanes. Defense could have some big games for fantasy against the right opponent - should be a good streaming option.
- Rookie Malcolm Mitchell looked like the best receiver on the field at times tonight (Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, and Gronk were not playing). Carter, Martin, Dobson, and Washington all have their believers, but Mitchell looked like the clear #4 and a lock for the roster before he hurt his elbow on an awkward fall. Bramel says that if it's "just" a bad dislocation, the time frame is 4-6 weeks, but if there are fractures to the bone, rehab can take months. Either way, there is enough receiving depth on this team that I'd be a bit skeptical of Bennett and Hogan at their current ADP. Lot of mouths.
- Jimmy G might not be very good.

Saints:
- Ingram looked decisive, though not particularly explosive. Hightower seemed like the better backup than Spiller. Lasco didn't appear to be much of a factor.
- Rookie Michael Thomas was featured pretty heavily. Flashed some solid talent, but has some rough edges. Started a few routes with a cheesy stutter step that didn't look like it was fooling anybody (even the second-stringers), and tended to turn his hips too soon looking for the ball, throwing off his stride and showing his hand to the DBs (did this once on what should have been a great sideline catch, and then again on what should have been a touchdown, coming up out of position and off balance both times). Great motor, showed consistently good effort running routes even away from the ball, but could use some work blocking. Had a really heads-up fumble recovery. One of the better players tonight.
- Snead made some of our secondary look rather silly on a great open-field run.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Just getting to this now but don't have PMs. I can do email or twitter or whatever else works though (if anything else works)!

There's a form in the link below for requesting a custom sheet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4x58x7/beersheets_20160810_football_is_coming_really/

Also I updated sheets on Wednesday.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never mind I'm stupid

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've got the #8 (out of 12) pick in our .5ppr keeper league. Here's what I know for sure so far

Being kept:
-AB84
-AP
-OBJ
-Gurley

Not being kept (because they're on the same teams as the above and we only get 1 keeper):
-Bell
-Jeffrey
-Gronk
-Julio

I could keep either Dez or Freeman, but I figure either will be available at the #8 spot anyway, so I'm not inclined to keep them and limit my options if somehow Julio falls all the way to #8. The way I see the draft playing out, I think I'll have my choice of Dez/Freeman, Gronk, Bell, Zeke, Miller. I'm still really tempted to just take Dez here, but the way last year went kind of scares me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why would you not take gronk?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The answer is Julio now and forever, praise be unto him.

Don't keep Dez. Out of those listed in your post I would go

Julio
Dez
Gronk
Zeke
Bell
Miller
Jeffery
Freeman

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess I didn't really give him much thought due to years of neglecting the TE position. Now that I do think about it, and knowing (kind of) the way my league drafts there's is probably a decent chance I'd still have a chance at Dez in the 2nd. Or at the very least maybe Marshall/ARob.

Edit: Probably I should just hold off on overthinking this until keepers are locked in this Sunday. Apparently the guy who was going to keep Gurley is now having 2nd thoughts and might keep Julio

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Draft whoever he doesn't keep if they're available to you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He's 8th there's no way that happens

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Metapod posted:

He's 8th there's no way that happens

Well yeah but it answers the "well he kept Julio and threw back Gurley" post.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Forever_Peace posted:

I like TY there. I think analysts tend to bump Coop a tad just because he is really, really fun to watch, and tend to fade TY a tad because he is sort of quietly good instead of OBJ good. Pretty much every projection (rather than ranking) has TY coming out on top.

Also, I posted round-by-round draft targets from the 1 spot in 12-team ppr a few days ago, which seems pertinent in case you missed it.

Here are my thoughts on your targets:

Rnd 1:
Antonio Brown
[MrSargent] All day every day

Rnd 2/3:
Ideal falls: Jamaal Charles, Jordy, Alshon. [MrSargent] None of these guys have fallen in my mocks
Likely picks: Ingram/TY/Lacy/Demaryius. [MrSargent] Ingram, TY, Doug Martin, and sometimes Brandon Marshall have been my picks here

Rnd 4/5:
Ideal falls: Dion Lewis, Maclin, ARodg [MrSargent] Each of these guys has dropped once and I have grabbed them
Likely Picks: Hyde, Woodhead, Larry Fitzgerald, Foster [MrSargent] I haven't grabbed any of these guys but have considered Woodhead. Instead I have grabbed a QB if they have dropped (Newton, Rodgers, sometimes Wilson) and sometimes Demarco Murray

Rnd 6/7:
Ideal falls: Ryan Mathews, Delanie Walker, Coby Fleener [MrSargent] Only Mathews has dropped to here and I grab him everytime
Likely Picks: Tyler Lockett, Ameer Abdullah, Jeremy Hill, John Brown, Kevin White [MrSargent] I like Devante Parker here but wouldn't be opposed to looking at Lockett more

Rnd 8/9:
Ideal Falls: Charles Sims [MrSargent] Usually forced to grab a TE here
Likely Picks: Tevin Coleman, Willie Snead, Bilal Powell [MrSargent] Been taking Marvin Jones but have been hearing more about Snead lately

Rnd 10/11:
Ideal Falls: Kamar Aiken, CJ Prosise, Tony Romo [MrSargent] Grabbing Aiken here everytime, also picked up McKinnon
Likely Picks: Sammie Coates, DeAndre Washington, Mohamed Sanu, Phillip Dorsett

Rnd 12/13:
Ideal Falls: Matt Ryan, Kenneth Dixon, Tyrod Taylor, Dwayne Allen [MrSargent] Allen would be gone way sooner than this and usually grab DST and K here
Likely Picks: McKinnon, Ebron, Bruce Ellington

Last mock is below. Also, let me know if posting my mocks is bothersome or not suited for this thread.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What's that website that lets you print out fake rankings again?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Rnd 6/7:
Ideal falls: Ryan Mathews, Delanie Walker, Coby Fleener [MrSargent] Only Mathews has dropped to here and I grab him everytime
Likely Picks: Tyler Lockett, Ameer Abdullah, Jeremy Hill, John Brown, Kevin White [MrSargent] I like Devante Parker here but wouldn't be opposed to looking at Lockett more

Tyler Lockett
ppr consensus ranking: WR 34, Overall 74
consensus projection: 57 receptions (34-82), 748 yards (447-918), 5 touchdowns (3-7).
Pros: Matt Harmon gushed about him on reception perception, electric open-field runner (possibly the best return man in the league), supposedly had a great offseason and the coaches are saying all the right things, competition of targets is relatively modest (Baldwin/Graham/Prosise/Kearse will get theirs, but none are studs), history of college production (playmaker and dominator scores are very respectable), crazy good efficiency in his rookie year.
Cons: Tiny baby hands, the offense just doesn't throw very much (upside is capped considerably), not much of a red zone target, we don't know yet whether he'll be an every-down player.

Brugler on Lockett before draft last year:

quote:

STRENGTHS: Runs like the wind with speed to get behind the secondary on vertical patterns…sudden, decisive footwork off the snap and in his breaks to sell routes and attract holding penalties – dynamic and deliberate route runner…doesn’t slow down in his cuts, showing sharp burst to create space…deadly stop-and-go and double moves with a strong understanding of how to separate in his routes…slippery as a ballcarrier with excellent start/stop quickness, transitioning his weight well in his movements with spatial awareness and vision – instinctive and decisive returner…tracks and adjusts well to the ball…terrific sideline awareness to toe tap with coordination while finishing…scrappy and not afraid to get physical in tight coverage, using his hands to create room to work…experienced lining up inside and outside, starting 42 games in college…extensive experience as a return man at Kansas State with a school-record 2,196 career kick return yards (28.5 average) and four touchdowns and 488 career punt return yards (15.2) and two scores…holds 17 school records, including breaking his father’s career marks for catches (249), receiving yards (3,710) and touchdown receptions (29)…two-year team captain with strong football character and instilled competitive drive…football bloodlines as his father (Kevin) and uncle (Aaron) both played wide receiver for Bill Snyder at Kansas State in the mid-1990s – Kevin was a second rounder (47th overall) in the 1997 NFL Draft and played seven seasons in the NFL.
WEAKNESSES: Shorter-than-ideal and thin-framed with very little muscle mass or room to bulk up…short arms and small hands with a marginal catching radius…will fight the ball at times with a bad habit of running before securing, leading to drops…not a reliable plucker away from his body…light and can be knocked off his routes easily, struggling to win in contested situations despite his high competitive nature…was rarely engaged by Big 12 defenders before he touched the ball and has never been challenged by press coverage…goes down too easily with arm and fingertip tackles and won’t pick up yardage after contact with virtually no power to his game as a ballcarrier…limited as perimeter blocker…room to improve his ball security with six fumbles on his resume…frail-looking frame leads to durability concerns and was banged up at times in college, including a lacerated kidney (Nov. 2011) and a nagging hamstring issue that plagued him throughout 2014.
SUMMARY: The Wildcats’ first four-time All-American and all-time leading receiver, Lockett broke all of his father’s receiving records at Kansas State and is hoping to be drafted ahead his draft slot as well (47th overall pick in the 1997 NFL Draft). Lockett is lighting fast with or without the ball and can take the top off a defense and be a dangerous threat as a return man. He is more than just speed and quickness with the precise routes and savvy ability after the catch to be effective and make-up for his lack of size. Lockett is praised by Kansas State coaches for his practice habits and constant commitment to improve, but his limited size dimensions, inconsistent ballskills and smallish catching radius raises questions about his NFL future – considered a poor man’s T.Y. Hilton by some scouts, his best fit is likely as a slot receiver and day one return man on special teams.

DeVante Parker:
ppr consensus ranking: WR32, Overall 65
consensus projection: 59 receptions (52-65), 858 yards (754-945), 6 touchdowns (5-7).
Pros: 1st-round draft pedigree, fantastic build, carried huge volume in college, red zone threat, posted some good numbers near the end of last year, offense should still be pass-first,
Cons: Mediocre mini reception-perception outlook, keeps getting banged up (including this offseason), might have to compete with rookie Leante Carroo for targets, Coaches have been gushing about Kenny Stills this offseason, Arian Foster could get his as well, subpar playmaker score from college, bad catch rate his rookie year (but sample size was small).

Brugler on Parker before draft last year:

quote:

STRENGTHS: Excellent height/length body type with the frame to get stronger…long-striding speed with natural lower body explosion to get vertical in a hurry…shows multiple gears in his routes to set up defenders…quick-starter with the initial movements off the line of scrimmage to gain free release and stack corners, using field leverage to give him room to work down the sideline…disguises routes well with a strong plant foot, selling his patterns with crisp footwork…shows some shake in the open field with quick cuts to deceive after the catch and the vision to collect YAC…tracks the football and extends well to attack with a large wingspan and natural body control – usually reliable ballskills…above average vertical with the leaping ability to hang in the air…deceiving body strength and not a push-over, running tough and not allowing coverage defenders to slow him in his routes…tougher than he looks and not an easy ballcarrier to finish off…confident competitor and won’t shrink in crunch time…frequent visitor to the end zone with a touchdown every 4.7 catches for the Cardinals…consistently productive in college and leaves Louisville ranked top-five in several categories, including career receiving yards (2,775) and career receiving touchdowns (33).
WEAKNESSES: Leaner-than-ideal frame and needs to add muscle and bulk…good speed for the position, but can be caught from behind…usually reliable hands and focus, but will allow the ball into his body at times and tends to have concentration lapses – better with the ball away from his body where he can extend and attack…room to improve his footwork off the line to beat press and get into his routes…needs to improve his coverage reads to better manipulate defenders instead of using the same moves each play…will get himself in trouble extending his arms away from his body to push off – won’t get away with that in the NFL…willing blocker, but has room to improve in this area…durability concerns due to his lean frame and college injuries, including a left foot injury (Aug. 2014) that required surgery and sidelined him for the first seven games of his senior season – missed one game as a junior due to a right shoulder injury (Oct. 2013).
SUMMARY: Despite losing his quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, Parker passed on the NFL after the 2013 season and returned to Louisville for his senior year – it didn’t go quite as expected, missing the first seven games of 2014 after foot surgery. However when he did return, he was dominant in the final six games, averaging seven catches and almost 150 receiving yards per game. Parker will have some easy drops and needs to patch a few holes in his game, but he is long-striding athlete with better catch-and-go creativity and toughness than expected, using his wingspan and natural length to play above the rim. His size/athletic dimensions are first round quality with a large catching radius to be a playmaker at every level of the field – not quite on the same level as A.J. Green as a NFL prospect, but a notch below and belongs in the top-15 picks.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 12, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ha, those ranges for Lockett!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is David Johnson really worth one of the first four picks in .5 ppr?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Nnnnnnope.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

In full PPR maybe.

Emphasis maybe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'll add him to my "skip over" list with Zeke Elliott.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll add him to my "skip over" list with Zeke Elliott.

I would take him starting at 1.06. Zeke shouldn't even be a 1st rounder.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MacheteZombie posted:

No but he's worth being the first rb off the board.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I'd rather have Hopkins at 4, and I'm not even particularly high on Hopkins.

After first 3, I like Nuk/AP/Green/Gronk/Gurley/DJ/Dez/Charles/Miller in half ppr.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

I'd rather have Hopkins at 4, and I'm not even particularly high on Hopkins.

After first 3, I like Nuk/AP/Green/Gronk/Gurley/DJ/Dez/Charles/Miller in half ppr.

In a the mock I was doing I had the choice of obj, nuk, or David Johnson at the 4 spot with the suggested pick being Dj.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Is it yahoo? They're higher than average on DJ

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

In a the mock I was doing I had the choice of obj, nuk, or David Johnson at the 4 spot with the suggested pick being Dj.

All Or Nothing launched DJ from #9 to #6 in the span of about 2 weeks on ffc. It's the new Hard Knocks Bump.

I think we were right the first time.

But OBJ seems like a solid #4 when he's there (I'd take him #3 easy).

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 12, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Is it yahoo? They're higher than average on DJ

Fantasypros

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

All Or Nothing launched DJ from #9 to #6 in the span of about 2 weeks on ffc. It's the new Hard Knocks Bump.

Say what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

Say what now

Amazon has a new show much like Hard Knocks, and it followed Arizona all through last season and preseason.

Dropped July 1, and David Johnson immediately shot up three spots on fantasy football calculator mock ppr drafts. Similar phenomena happens each year to the top players on hard knocks teams.

• Locked thread