Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

peter gabriel posted:

He needs orange pickups so they can look a bit like life rafts coming to rescue the person who is plainly the volume knob :3:

Um hell yes.

Ok now I legitimately have a strong urge to buy a guitar finished in ocean island burst, or in other words possibly the absolute last finish on a guitar I'd ever thought I'd have wanted before these posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

As posted in the Guitar thread:

After I had spent a whole few months learning to play the Guitar (moving from Bass) on an Epiphone SG, I traded in my '99 Jazz bass and some extra cash for a 2012 American Strat. The only reason for this chooice? The only open chords I knew sounded better through whatever Line6 box they had me plugged into, than with a Les Paul. It made me realise that I didn't know what I didn't know. I really did enjoy the feel of that guitar though.

After struggling with it for a while (wtf SSS is not good for Metallica? who would have known!?) I flipped it a few times and ended up with an Ibanez 540S and a Jackson Dinky - both of which are definitely pulling their weight in that area.

I'd always kept my eye open for a nice '85 to get myself for my 30th birthday but nothing really came up: there were lots of Squiers and a few Ibanez/Charvel/Jacksons that I wasn't too fussed about. From what I can gather Gibson was in a low spot around then which made me shy of buying used unseen, and Fender had closed down their factories to move them. Of course, I forgot that Fujigen got their whole build reciepts for those years!

After my stellar Ibanez I was confident that buying a MIJ Strat would work out well, and lo and behold I found a few on Ebay. After checking around, with all said and done I got my hands on a basically-pristine 1985 Made-in-Japan Fender Stratocaster, probably paying over the odds - around £450 including shipping, original parts and a new flight case. - but I'm happy as hell:

Here's what it looks like:

Though I've got the original plastics, the previous (only?) owner fitted an anodised black aluminium guard. The Kahler bridge is wonderful and the guitar was in tune even after shipping overnight across the country. I'm fairly certain it's polyester varnished, but I can see the horizontal lines which I'd otherwise assume was the beginnings of checking. I'm super stoked, as it's very easy to play.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 27, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hell yeah. Made for Maiden.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Before:

After:

I highly, highly recommend the GFS power rails. It's like a whole new angrier little guitar, and they distort beautifully. :black101:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that a shortscale guitar? those pickups seem really close together.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yup, it's super tiny:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna/LE50-Short-Scale-Electric-Guitar-Satin-Black-1274319719490.gc

My LP needs a little gut-work so I've been playing this thing tons. I've also got a set of straplocks for it, but :effort: since I didn't get a strap for it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
GFS Power Rails are stupid muddy because of the midrange but they're probably the best pickup for sludge/stoner stuff.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Since I can't get a time machine and travel back to visit the 80's or early 90's, I brought some of them back to me instead!

Just got a Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp in the mail (2nd space from the top), a slightly older one with the TX4 board so Lead 1 Red is the Recto mode instead of the Lone Star lead channel like you'd find on a Triaxis today.
Like most Mesa Mark series tones, it has by far the most mid-range of any guitar amp I've ever used, so I'm using some EQ from the Axe-Fx to scoop out some of those mids and bring the sound back into more sane, balanced territory.
It sounds fantastic for tight and clear high gain stuff, but I'm really surprised about how great the cleans and pushed, gainy clean tones are turning out to be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 29, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is way rad right there!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
After about a decade of only ever buying cheap or low mid quality instruments and throwing nicer parts in, I finally decided to buy a nice guitar. It's an Ibanez RG652AHM.

I ordered it from Ibanez Rules with the silver setup, and I can't wait. Should be a couple of weeks. I'm going to see how I get along with the tone zone/air Norton combo for a month or two but I really want to throw a set of bare knuckle juggernauts in it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SINNERS

ARE

COMING

:supaburn:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ibanez guitars Best guitars.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bought this yesterday, shipped today on Leo Fender's birthday. Can't wait!

I'm going to break it in for a while and then plan on upgrades. Right now i'm thinking of a loaded BKP pick guard with SINNERS and possibly a Babiscz strat bridge/trem.

e: sup southern heel h5 guitar buddy

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

first order of business is to lose that tort pg

death to tort

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Schpyder posted:

first order of business is to lose that tort pg

death to tort

Tort guard on Midnight Wine looks drat fine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like tort sometimes and only if it looks extra firey. I'll have to decide on this one but it's probably ending up black either way.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Tort 4 lyfe

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Borrowed a band mate's guitar, amp, and pedals while he was on vacation a while ago, and started dabbling again. Lil' Lazlette got interested, and agreed to lessons, so I broke down and got her a used, Indonesian-made Squier Affinity Strat from a local shop for $80. Got the Peavey Vypyr 1 (stupidest name ever) new from GC, it's a fun little thing with a ton of bells and whistles that keeps us both occupied at home.

She loves it, is already three lessons in, and is spending several hours a day teaching herself stuff. She already reads music, so that's a big help.

But the band mate's rig had to go back, and I started jonesin', sooooo...

Aside from a little fret buzz when i use a capo high up the neck, I'm absolutely loving it. And today I learned he's got one on order too.

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I gotta get a guitar with p90s, they sound so loving cool. Thats an awesome guitar.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They aren't P90s, they do look like them but they were unique single coils for the Jazzmaster, wound flatter and wider.
Squire J Mascis Jazzmasters are possibly the best guitar for the money, really nice

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Actually the Squier JMJM pups are basically JM-sized P90s, not traditional jazzmaster pickup designs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's not a TRUE jazzmaster

Which reminds me that I need to make mine no longer true by purchasing and installing a mastery bridge.

...after this project guitar is done though

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Gen-u-wine Jazzmaster bridges are garbage, so no need to feel bad about replacing one. The JMJM actually has a TOM-style bridge.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I dunno, P90 is a Gibson trademark so it's splitting hairs I guess, it's Fenders version for sure. It's just in my experience they do sound different (a touch mellower) so that's why I think it's worth mentioning.

Can confirm the standard bridges are shitola though, I ended up going for a Mastery, they rock - again though, it's an Adjusto-Matic bridge on Fenders and Tunomatic on Gibsons, it's another nerdy thing but the fretboard radius is different enough to genuinely matter.

I apologise for that post, I sound like a right twat. I tried re wording it a bit but it got worse :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Anyhoots, enough pedantry! New stuff!

Vox Night Train 50 watt - I bought this to see if I can use it live as I want that rich sort of Vox sound in something easy to carry around, I am trying it out properly tonight so will report back, but so far it sounds nice.

Way Huge Pork Loin - I got this mainly as a clean boost to replace my T C Spark, the jury is out on this one, again I am trying it tonight properly but so far it's been a pain in the arse to fiddle with (it has 5 knobs on the front and 3 more inside) - I am still hopeful because I have found some thick beefy sounds already

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Gen-u-wine Jazzmaster bridges are garbage, so no need to feel bad about replacing one. The JMJM actually has a TOM-style bridge.

Ya I just keep letting myself get distracted

Last time it was the silly old hollow thing with Teiscos on it and this time it's what will end up being an extremely 80s superstrat with Sinners in it

e: Also my THR was a distraction but that has been one of the most worthwhile distractions of them all

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 11, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Anyhoots, enough pedantry! New stuff!

Vox Night Train 50 watt - I bought this to see if I can use it live as I want that rich sort of Vox sound in something easy to carry around, I am trying it out properly tonight so will report back, but so far it sounds nice.

Way Huge Pork Loin - I got this mainly as a clean boost to replace my T C Spark, the jury is out on this one, again I am trying it tonight properly but so far it's been a pain in the arse to fiddle with (it has 5 knobs on the front and 3 more inside) - I am still hopeful because I have found some thick beefy sounds already

Looking forward to your verdict on the Night Train. I've always thought a pair of those would make a really cool portable stereo tube rig. I mis the effects send/return, though. I'd have them modded so I could put certain effects between the pre- and power-amps.

Is it terribly noisy?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

This summer I've been mostly building ugly pedals. Then I ran out of money but I'm itching to build more. It's addictive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

Looking forward to your verdict on the Night Train. I've always thought a pair of those would make a really cool portable stereo tube rig. I mis the effects send/return, though. I'd have them modded so I could put certain effects between the pre- and power-amps.

Is it terribly noisy?

It has an effects loop with a kill button and everything, I didn't get chance to play it loud tonight but so far at home and pretty loud it sounds good, it's absolutely silent when turned on as well, I am pretty impressed with it so far, but really want to try it with the band before I give it a proper thumbs up

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I see, now. That's not the original little 15-Watt amp I remember. A 50-Watt version with more controls and an effects loop? I may have the recipe for a new rig!
(I'll keep practicing on my THR-10 until I get a raise or something.)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

I see, now. That's not the original little 15-Watt amp I remember. A 50-Watt version with more controls and an effects loop? I may have the recipe for a new rig!
(I'll keep practicing on my THR-10 until I get a raise or something.)

The only glaring omission is reverb but I have a pedal arriving tomorrow to solve that and it'll probably be better than the reverb in my other amp anyway.

The newest generation does have reverb, but I got this one cos it was cheaper and, well, it's chrome. Looking good > sounding good

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

The newest generation does have reverb, but I got this one cos it was cheaper and, well, it's chrome. Looking good > sounding good

Pretty much the same reason I got mine, too! What cab are you running it through, the matching one with Celestion G12H30s? If you have a couple cabs I'd love to hear what it sounds like through a few, as I've only got the matching one and have recently begun to explore the whole "cabs make a fuckload of difference".

But yeah, the amp is sweet as. The Thick mode is suprisingly useful for a light crunch. I usually sit the clean channel gain to about 2'o'clock for my P90 Reverend and 12ish for my humbucker guitars. Cleans up nice enough but has enough gain with the Thick mode in to really get that classic crunch. Pair the Thick channel with a boost (I guess the Pork Loin could do it! I use a Bad Monkey TS style pedal) and it gets nice and rocking. Awesome.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Pretty much the same reason I got mine, too! What cab are you running it through, the matching one with Celestion G12H30s? If you have a couple cabs I'd love to hear what it sounds like through a few, as I've only got the matching one and have recently begun to explore the whole "cabs make a fuckload of difference".

But yeah, the amp is sweet as. The Thick mode is suprisingly useful for a light crunch. I usually sit the clean channel gain to about 2'o'clock for my P90 Reverend and 12ish for my humbucker guitars. Cleans up nice enough but has enough gain with the Thick mode in to really get that classic crunch. Pair the Thick channel with a boost (I guess the Pork Loin could do it! I use a Bad Monkey TS style pedal) and it gets nice and rocking. Awesome.

I'm still feeling my way around it, I am going to pick up the cab next week I think (it's got the 70th Anniversary Celestions in it, that's all I know - it's the official cab though).

I plugged it into my cab here at home but it's a 2 x 12 for a 15 watt amp so it's over powering it to the point of it being pretty lovely / farty. I've plugged it directly into my 2 x 12 combo speakers though and it sounded great, tomorrow if I get my poo poo together I'll be taking it to the studio and I think we have a couple of 4 x 12s down there along with some 2 x 12s.

I know the amp sounds great cos I demo'd it when I bought it, just my home cab isn't worth pissing on. I'll for sure write something up though, I really do want to play it with a drummer as that's the litmus test. My Blackstar is a beast, master volume on 2 and it's fine with a drummer, that's 60 watt so in theory this 50 watt will be fine.

I'm not after gain (the Vox seems to do all that surprisingly well and easily) I am after natural sounding valve break up, it's trickier to do but I'll get there no worries with the Spark or Pork Loin.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to detract from the clean. I like the fact that it can be driven pretty drat hard while staying crystal clean if that's your aim. Whenever I try AC15/30s (Which I am GASing for, for no apparent reason) they always tend to crunch up that little bit for me. The NT conversely stays as clean as I want it, and it really does the Vox "jangly chime" sound so drat well, but you can push the bass a bit and get that thump without the woofing you'd normally get from an AC. I'm just gushing, I love the thing. Being in a shared house I don't get the chance to bust it out much but whenever I do it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to detract from the clean. I like the fact that it can be driven pretty drat hard while staying crystal clean if that's your aim. Whenever I try AC15/30s (Which I am GASing for, for no apparent reason) they always tend to crunch up that little bit for me. The NT conversely stays as clean as I want it, and it really does the Vox "jangly chime" sound so drat well, but you can push the bass a bit and get that thump without the woofing you'd normally get from an AC. I'm just gushing, I love the thing. Being in a shared house I don't get the chance to bust it out much but whenever I do it reminds me why I bought it in the first place.

The clean stuff is great to hear, as I said, I've only tried it at home and it was breaking up my speakers at low volume, I had a sad face on and everything :v:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It's adorable.

Can't wait to explore it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well my lack of self control has led to the very obvious conclusion of buying these:

They arrive on Sunday, now I have to learn how to wire them in I guess

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I love those cabs, how much you pay for them?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Weird BIAS posted:

I love those cabs, how much you pay for them?

I got the pair for £120 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Frank Caskelot posted:

This summer I've been mostly building ugly pedals. Then I ran out of money but I'm itching to build more. It's addictive.

What's the Tintin one?

Captain Haddock would be a sick design for a fuzz pedal. You could call it Blistering Barnacles, or Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons.