Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lol I like your attitude. Unfortunately it leaks like a motherfucker. Can I salvage the cartridge to reuse or is that the source of the leakage? I've only had pens that needed an ink swap to end any nib creeps or leaks

Cool, thanks
\/\/\/\/\/

best bale fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bale. posted:

Lol I like your attitude. Unfortunately it leaks like a motherfucker. Can I salvage the cartridge to reuse or is that the source of the leakage? I've only had pens that needed an ink swap to end any nib creeps or leaks

If it's just a cartridge and not a converter, I wouldn't bother--it's probably counterfeit too and the real thing is cheap. Cartridges are cheap and plentiful. Where is it leaking from? You might be able to re-seat the nib/feed or try it with a real (non-counterfeit) Lamy cartridge and see if the leaking stops.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm interested in some kind of binder system that is as close to the size and feel of an ordinary bound notebook while still reserving some sort of capacity for re-organization. And I would like it in B5 or A5.

Right now I'm thinking a Japanese binder with a very thin ring diameter, but I feel as though there might be an even more book-like alternative that perhaps sacrifices some of the ease of re-binding to achieve its form factor. Any such thing?

Failing that, a recommendation of brand or product would be just dandy.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Eikre posted:

I'm interested in some kind of binder system that is as close to the size and feel of an ordinary bound notebook while still reserving some sort of capacity for re-organization. And I would like it in B5 or A5.

Right now I'm thinking a Japanese binder with a very thin ring diameter, but I feel as though there might be an even more book-like alternative that perhaps sacrifices some of the ease of re-binding to achieve its form factor. Any such thing?

I like the japanese binder system for things that need shuffling, Nanami Paper has a decent selection when it's in stock. Filofax is an option too, although their paper is definitely note made to cater to the fountain pen nerd crowd. Hardware and options are great for Filofax though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Eikre posted:

Perhaps a Traveler's Notebook? You can at least re-organize the notebooks within the leather cover and sort/file the filled ones into storage binders for archiving.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

I've never used one myself, but Dr. Brown speak fairly well of the pen. What other pens does he really like, maybe we can offer some similar suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pl0CwWdVv0

It's the only one he's had besides a Mont Blanc years ago; he really likes this new one a lot! (Lucky for me, it was a whim of a purchase)
And personally, for me, I took y'alls advice and got a Pilot Metro. I love mine, too. I can't believe how many years I used crappy old ink pens of any sort. Fountain pens RULE, they are so much nicer to hold and the way they flow when you write! Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Thanks for your offer of other selections, too!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How are you TWSBI folks enjoying your Vac pens? Definitely going to get a demonstrator in the $80-$100 range sooner or later.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I have a Vac 700 and I love it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pixelante posted:

How are you TWSBI folks enjoying your Vac pens? Definitely going to get a demonstrator in the $80-$100 range sooner or later.

One of my faves.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I think I have a problem. I got the 1.1 stub when I went for a TWSBI Diamond 580, and I like writing with it so much that I don't really like going back to normal nibs. I'm not doing calligraphy or anything, just normal hand-writing, but it looks so nice.

What's the best source of stub nibs for a Pilot MR?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

DigitalRaven posted:

I think I have a problem. I got the 1.1 stub when I went for a TWSBI Diamond 580, and I like writing with it so much that I don't really like going back to normal nibs. I'm not doing calligraphy or anything, just normal hand-writing, but it looks so nice.

I hear the plumix has an interchangable nib you can pop into it. Kind of like the penmanship if you want a metro EF nib that is interchangable.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I have now ordered a vac 700, an italic nib, and more ink. I thought I would enjoy my sample ink collection more but found that loading the piston was a massive hassle from the tiny tubes. I expect the vacuum method will help me want to use my samples more.

Is it weird to want to have a specific pen/ink combo? I think I'm going to get another lamy vista (broad or italic..?) just for diamine shimmering sands and never put anything else in it. Tell me this is a bad idea.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Just an FYI, the Vac 700 is a pretty wide pen, so you can't get the nib all the way down to the bottom of a sample vial. That might hurt your ability to get a good fill depending on how much ink is in the vial. Of course you can always unscrew the nib unit and fill the pen via a syringe

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GenericGirlName posted:

I have now ordered a vac 700, an italic nib, and more ink. I thought I would enjoy my sample ink collection more but found that loading the piston was a massive hassle from the tiny tubes. I expect the vacuum method will help me want to use my samples more.

Is it weird to want to have a specific pen/ink combo? I think I'm going to get another lamy vista (broad or italic..?) just for diamine shimmering sands and never put anything else in it. Tell me this is a bad idea.

I'm waiting for a forest green Lamy AlStar for exactly the purpose so yes it's a bad idea

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Eikre posted:

what you might want is Kokuyo Campus Smart Ring
http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Campus-Smart-Ring-Binder-Notebooks/ct/1829

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DigitalRaven posted:

Plumix (Pluminix if you're in the EU).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What IS a vac fill anyway?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GenericGirlName posted:

I bought a new metro just to color coordinate it with the Leuchtturm I bought for bullet journaling, so you won't be making the silliest purchases in this thread.

I use the slide binders for school, they're excellent. This looks like the same ring method, so it should be pretty sturdy for everyday use. Buy a hole punch off amazon, though, they're way cheaper than on jet pens.
https://smile.amazon.com/Carl-Gauge-26-Hole-30-Hole-Punch/dp/B005Q5Y4EW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471104364&sr=8-1&keywords=26+hole+punch

Xun posted:

You stick the nib into your ink and turn a knob to fill the pen up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Xun posted:

Here's a youtube video of someone filling one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cXTn1OGyL8

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xun posted:

Swagger Dagger posted:

You stick the nib into your ink and turn a knob to fill the pen up.

You're thinking of a piston filler, which does use vacuum to fill the pen but isn't a vac filler. With a vac filler, you retract a piston, as you bring the piston forward again it creates a vacuum behind it. As the piston head approaches the end of the barrel it passes over a wider fluted section, allowing the vacuum it has built to bring ink into the pen.

e: yeah like that video above this

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 13, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Xun posted:

Fuckin' magic, that's what.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

howe_sam posted:

Just an FYI, the Vac 700 is a pretty wide pen, so you can't get the nib all the way down to the bottom of a sample vial. That might hurt your ability to get a good fill depending on how much ink is in the vial. Of course you can always unscrew the nib unit and fill the pen via a syringe

Grrr!!!! I didn't think about that! I'm glad I wanted the vac for more than just sample inks then.

Heath posted:

I'm waiting for a forest green Lamy AlStar for exactly the purpose so yes it's a bad idea

Swagger Dagger posted:

I bought a new metro just to color coordinate it with the Leuchtturm I bought for bullet journaling, so you won't be making the silliest purchases in this thread.

I will at least make myself wait until next month before buying it........

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So I recently introduced a couple of my friends to the world of fountain pens, but as it turns out one of them is reluctant to try it because he's a leftie, and when he'd used fountain pens in the past he'd smeared the words into illegibility and painted his hand with the ink.

...Any recs for a really fast drying ink I can gift him so I can lure him into this wounderful hobby? :getin:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Noodler's Bernanke Blue or Bernanke Black. Pilot Blue, Black or Blue-Black.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Mikl posted:

So I recently introduced a couple of my friends to the world of fountain pens, but as it turns out one of them is reluctant to try it because he's a leftie, and when he'd used fountain pens in the past he'd smeared the words into illegibility and painted his hand with the ink.

...Any recs for a really fast drying ink I can gift him so I can lure him into this wounderful hobby? :getin:

quote:

Ink:
fast-drying inks
Noodler’s Bernanke blue or black
Noodler’s Q’ternity
PR Fast Dry inks
De Atramentis Document inks (fast drying and waterproof)
Experiment with a few other inks (Sheaffer, Waterman, Pilot Iroshizuku, Rohrer and Klingner Salix/Scabiosa)
there will always be a tradeoff of quick-drying inks and feathering or bleeding
Read reviews to see dry times, get a sample!
Goulet Quick-Dry sampler set

from This blog post today at goulet. So obviously it's limited to stuff they carry.

Pilot Black definitely dries quick as hell, and the finer/drier the pen the better off you'll probably be. So maybe don't suggest a 1.5mm italic or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there any way to combat nib creep or is it just a factor of the ink you use? My Lamy gets quite a but of creep (but no dripping) from my Noodler's Borealis Black.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
embrace it

e:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Done

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Hi thread, I bought a pilot metro a few months ago on a whim and have now become a fountain pen convert for life. Expanding my collection of inks and pens isn't quite in my budget yet, but I hope to get a TWSBI sometime... Meanwhile I'm happy with my EF and M nibs and using Waterman.

Anyway I'm going to be on a plane in a few days and I'd really like to have my metro with me since it's going to be a 2 week trip, but I have two concerns:

1) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the pen to make sure ink doesn't explode everywhere the next time I uncap it. Fill it to max and minimize air in the converter? Empty it out completely? I guess the latter would prevent a leak, especially since I can't tell if I'm filling the converter to max capacity since it's opaque. I don't know if it's a must, though.

2) Waterman ink comes in a glass bottle, which is good and fancy and sits nice on my desk, but am I gonna have any problems transporting it (possible breakage, leaking)? Does airport security tend to flag that kind of thing?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
With modern fountain pens I wouldn't worry too much about altitude-induced explosions. Just to be on the safe side you can stow it nib up and in a ziploc bag. I don't even do that and I've never had a problem regardless of ink levels. I just throw them in my bag with everything else

Re: ink, if carry on, just make sure it's within acceptable liquid limits and If it's in checked luggage, you'll be fine. put it in a baggie to protect from potential leakage

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

melodicwaffle posted:

Hi thread, I bought a pilot metro a few months ago on a whim and have now become a fountain pen convert for life. Expanding my collection of inks and pens isn't quite in my budget yet, but I hope to get a TWSBI sometime... Meanwhile I'm happy with my EF and M nibs and using Waterman.

Anyway I'm going to be on a plane in a few days and I'd really like to have my metro with me since it's going to be a 2 week trip, but I have two concerns:

1) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the pen to make sure ink doesn't explode everywhere the next time I uncap it. Fill it to max and minimize air in the converter? Empty it out completely? I guess the latter would prevent a leak, especially since I can't tell if I'm filling the converter to max capacity since it's opaque. I don't know if it's a must, though.

2) Waterman ink comes in a glass bottle, which is good and fancy and sits nice on my desk, but am I gonna have any problems transporting it (possible breakage, leaking)? Does airport security tend to flag that kind of thing?

I've traveled with my metro with no problems. If you're really worried just put it in an empty water bottle and make sure the cap is on tight. For your ink, you can take no more than 3 oz. of fluid in your carry one, and Waterman bottles are much smaller than that. They're surprisingly sturdy as well, in my experience.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the problems will pop up if you try and open the pen up and write while you're still flying (or if you land somewhere that's at a different altitude).

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I've had problems with ink leaking out from the nib unit (and ruining my shorts) because the air inside my converter expanded after going up 2000ft in elevation, so I'd say definitely fill up until there's no air inside, or you just leave it empty.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My friend's birthday is coming up. She's a big time journal-keeper and she loves all things teal, but had never used a fountain pen, so I got her the retro pop blue-green Metropolitan and a bottle of Emerald of Chivor. It hasn't even gotten there yet and she's already mad at me for getting her into fountain pens.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Heath posted:

My friend's birthday is coming up. She's a big time journal-keeper and she loves all things teal, but had never used a fountain pen, so I got her the retro pop blue-green Metropolitan and a bottle of Emerald of Chivor. It hasn't even gotten there yet and she's already mad at me for getting her into fountain pens.

I've got Stormy Grey in the grey houndstooth pop metro. :) I like it, but the Hematite Rouge is something altogether amazing. I'm messing around with a sample of Emeraude and find the red-sheen very paper specific. Doesn't show up on Rhodia at all, but amazingly dual-toned on some other paper.

Any recommendations for a dark teal ink (may just get a bottle of Emeraude but I'm kinda tired of the gold particle skipping), and a legible dark yellow/light orange?

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 16, 2016

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
So I've had my Custom 74 for about a week now, and I kind of hate it. It all but dries up on left to right strokes (can't even really cross a T), and down strokes dry up after about 5 lines. The only way to ensure a decent line is to put a ton of pressure on this thing, which seems extremely counterintuitive given that I've got 4 steel nib pens that write with no pressure at all (2 metros, 1 ECO, 1 Al-Star). Anyone know what could be the issue? Is my nib hosed? It doesn't appear cosmetically wrong but it's a real pain in the rear end to use because it's so inconsistent. I've flushed it multiple times, and I've used both De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and Pilot's Kon Peki with the same results.

Writing sample:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/F0pGCiS

Anyone else have these issues? Are gold nibs usually this bad?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
There's definitely something wrong, my girlfriend's 74 wrote like a dream out of the box.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

unkle77 posted:

So I've had my Custom 74 for about a week now, and I kind of hate it. It all but dries up on left to right strokes (can't even really cross a T), and down strokes dry up after about 5 lines. The only way to ensure a decent line is to put a ton of pressure on this thing, which seems extremely counterintuitive given that I've got 4 steel nib pens that write with no pressure at all (2 metros, 1 ECO, 1 Al-Star). Anyone know what could be the issue? Is my nib hosed? It doesn't appear cosmetically wrong but it's a real pain in the rear end to use because it's so inconsistent. I've flushed it multiple times, and I've used both De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and Pilot's Kon Peki with the same results.

Writing sample:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/F0pGCiS

Anyone else have these issues? Are gold nibs usually this bad?

Something's wrong. I'd exchange the pen

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Thanks for the confirmations. Called Anna at Goulet (super nice), and I'll be exchanging it for a new one today. Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Seller I bought my PIlot 845 from turned out to be a scammer and never shipped my pen :argh:

So I bought a Delta Hawa'ii instead.