Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Google voice search keeps popping up while I'm listening to music even though it's off. Anybody had this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have a Nexus 6P, and my girlfriend has a Nexus 5x. We need a portable Pokemon Go Trip Extender battery charger. What's the best, cheapest option, even if it's just double our batteries or thereabouts? I'm wary about just picking one since a lot of times I'll discover in reviews that the charger only inputs USB-C, not outputs.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

RBX posted:

Google voice search keeps popping up while I'm listening to music even though it's off. Anybody had this problem?

Your phone probably thinks that you're pressing the headphone button, either because of bad headphones, or a bad port. You could try cleaning it out, or install an app that eats the intent and does nothing with it (15 seconds of googling points towards this)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BJPaskoff posted:

I have a Nexus 6P, and my girlfriend has a Nexus 5x. We need a portable Pokemon Go Trip Extender battery charger. What's the best, cheapest option, even if it's just double our batteries or thereabouts? I'm wary about just picking one since a lot of times I'll discover in reviews that the charger only inputs USB-C, not outputs.

I don't think many, if any, battery packs support USB C yet. You'll need an adapter. I just bought an Anker ~10000 mAh pack for $22ish that I haven't tried yet. Should theoretically get me around 2.5 or 3 charges. My Anker 3000 mAh pack is a few years old and is losing its oomph (got me around a half a charge on my 5X still). They're generally regarded as a good, affordable brand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

My wife and I have 5xes (5xii? ffffffff) and we are enjoying this - [Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port) External Battery Pack Power Bank for Phones, Tablets and More Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SlvRxb98Z4W5A

Rapid charges the new Nexuses with the USB-C and the battery pack itself charges quickly with USB-C. Just check the dimensions and weight, it's not huge but I wouldn't carry it around in my pocket.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I just got a little Anker bluetooth audio receiver for my car, and it has a button which when held down activates google voice. Pretty cool as I find OK Google detection pretty flakey, and especially in the car. The weird thing is, the Google Voice prompts/response come through at a significantly lower volume than all the other audio from the phone (i.e. music, podcasts etc.). Is there a separate volume control for these somewhere, that I'm not seeing?

e: The voice prompts in Navigation mode are at a decent level two, it's just specifically responses to things that I ask Google Voice that are quiet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

I don't think many, if any, battery packs support USB C yet. You'll need an adapter. I just bought an Anker ~10000 mAh pack for $22ish that I haven't tried yet. Should theoretically get me around 2.5 or 3 charges. My Anker 3000 mAh pack is a few years old and is losing its oomph (got me around a half a charge on my 5X still). They're generally regarded as a good, affordable brand.

By adapter, do you mean just a USB to USB-C wire? Because I have one of those that came with my Nexus 6P.

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I have 5xes (5xii? ffffffff) and we are enjoying this - [Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port) External Battery Pack Power Bank for Phones, Tablets and More Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SlvRxb98Z4W5A

Rapid charges the new Nexuses with the USB-C and the battery pack itself charges quickly with USB-C. Just check the dimensions and weight, it's not huge but I wouldn't carry it around in my pocket.

Sounds good, but $99 is three times as much as I wanted to spend.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

BJPaskoff posted:

By adapter, do you mean just a USB to USB-C wire? Because I have one of those that came with my Nexus 6P.

Sounds good, but $99 is three times as much as I wanted to spend.

Yeah, I meant a USB-A (normal) to USB-C cable or adapter.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I bought this Anker 20100mAh USB-C/Type-C Ultra-High-Capacity power bank things. It's 60 bucks, which is a little more than I wanted to pay, but it'll charge my Nexus 6p to full many times without needing to be recharged.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...rds=usb+c+anker

It's going to be heavy if you wanted to carry it around in your pocket with the rest of your monsters though.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

For a smaller one I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSQXZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a larger one I have this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLNT9KW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both have QC quick charge which is awesome.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Are those USB C though? I know someone could use a regular USB to USB C cables or converters, but the original question was whether there were any USB C to USB C chargers out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Based on what came to light last week, you are safer buying an A charger right now and using it with a known good A to C cable.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Do QC 3.0 batteries quick charge over A to C cables? I have an anker QC 3.0 battery and am wondering if it will quick charge an HTC 10.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really wanna try the Mi5. How bad of an idea is it to order from Gearbest?

Also my X Play was slow as gently caress it was actually painful. Did a factory reset to see if it might help, and it expressly said beforehand "wipes internal storage" and yeah it went ahead and wiped my SD card too. I mean I should have taken it out to be safe but fucks sake.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 13, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skywalker OG posted:

Do QC 3.0 batteries quick charge over A to C cables? I have an anker QC 3.0 battery and am wondering if it will quick charge an HTC 10.
This is a point of contention. It depends on the phone. Google USB-C guy says that QC doesn't conform to the official USB-C spec and therefore cannot be a thing, but Qualcomm say that both can coexist fine. Who knows. USB-C is a bit of a mess.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

Also my X Play was slow as gently caress it was actually painful. Did a factory reset to see if it might help, and it expressly said beforehand "wipes internal storage" and yeah it went ahead and wiped my SD card too. I mean I should have taken it out to be safe but fucks sake.

If it was using adoptable storage the OS makes no distinction between the internal and external storage. In fact, had you removed the sd card its data would have been useless.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Skywalker OG posted:

I don't think current phones and USB-C cables are prepared to receive quick charge (more voltage) at this point. "Rapid" charging is a thing, but that is increased amperage, which is safe. If a C device somehow triggers QC and isn't ready for it, it might be blown up by the higher voltage.

Edit: fwiw, I don't think any current C phones are capable of triggering QC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So apparently the new Xbox One S controller has Bluetooth and you can pair it with Android, but the button mappings are all screwed up. Is the only way to fix that kind of thing to be rooted?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 13, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I bought the Tronsmart Presto, and I've been pretty happy with it. As per this review, it meets USB-C spec, and it has the Qualcomm QC spec only on the Type A port, so I have no concerns with using the Type-C port to charge my 6P.

The only caveat is that it comes only with a Type A to C cable (which has the proper resistor, so it can be used in a pinch), so you'll have to use a separate C to C cable to connect your Nexus to the C port.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

azurite posted:

Edit: fwiw, I don't think any current C phones are capable of triggering QC.

Incorrect, the HTC 10 can as does the Moto Z.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Amazing how cable standards have suddenly become as complicated as they were 15 years ago.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Desk Lamp posted:

Amazing how cable standards have suddenly become as complicated as they were 15 years ago.
Not really. You at least know either a micro or type-c connection will charge your phone. The confusion is over charging speed, not proprietary/compatibility.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

codo27 posted:

I've ordered a couple of tablets through Gearbest and never had any issues with them, other than shipping times being crazy nasty. Be aware though that there are plenty of other sites doing Xiaomi phones these days, so shop around. Gearbest ain't the automatic cheapest for things like that like it was a year ago. I ended up ordering a Redmi Note 3 Pro from ebay a couple of days ago for about $50AU less and it came with free five-day shipping as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Not really. You at least know either a micro or type-c connection will charge your phone. The confusion is over charging speed, not proprietary/compatibility.

Also if you plug in the wrong cable or the wrong charger your phone will literally melt and if you do it overnight there is a risk of burning down your house and killing you and your loved ones.

But we can insert the cable in both directions so this is a net win.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

If it was using adoptable storage the OS makes no distinction between the internal and external storage. In fact, had you removed the sd card its data would have been useless.

Nah, I had it on external. Any reason I should consider formatting it as internal this time around?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

LastInLine posted:

But we can insert the cable in both directions so this is a net win.

Got to break a few eggs, etc.

Yeah though, I'm hoping they get their act together soon, or that my next phone still uses the USB cable of yesteryear.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

codo27 posted:

Nah, I had it on external. Any reason I should consider formatting it as internal this time around?

Not if external is working fine for you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Wireless charging means you don't have to worry about cable specs! :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Which phones worth dollars in 2016 have wireless charging?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm having a hard time describing this, but I've got a screen distortion where there's vertical stripes of the screen being a lighter shade than it should be anywhere that there's white in the same "column." I dropped my phone about 2 feet onto a tile floor since the last time I checked it. There's no crack in the screen that I can see, so I'm thinking it has to be some sort of connection in there got knocked loose. Does that sound right, or is there something else it could be? I've got some spudgers somewhere, so I should be able to get the phone apart and back together as long as I'm following instructions.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

S7/S7Edge/Note7

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Fatal posted:

S7/S7Edge/Note7

he said phones worth a drat

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

None.

But Samsungs the closest not-worth-dollars-phones to being worth dollars and they have it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Maybe the new Nexus models will be worth dollars and do wireless charging.

And maybe they'll have SD card slots and IR blasters and and and :shepface:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does the new nexus come with touch wiz

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just got a nexus 5x recently and switched to project fi. I got a voicemail yesterday and a follow up sms from the same person. I saw the voicemail transcript and the sms on the same screen, and sent a reply sms. What the hell app was this because I don't see the conversation in Messenger(or anywhere else) now.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 14, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Hangouts

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to jump ship from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S7 and my main concern at the moment is that my older Alpine car stereo won't support Android as far as I can tell.

What is the story with Android support in car stereos these days? The idea of dropping another $200-300 to upgrade my car stereo when the one I have works just fine is a little off-putting. I would only want a single din stereo and something that gives me basic usb play/pause/forward/back/volume controls plus displays the song playing. I guess my fallback can be trying to make bluetooth work or failing that using a 3.5" cable but I don't like the idea that I'd constantly be fumbling with the phone to change songs and such.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

OK. Does messenger not work at all under project Fi? OK had it set to be the default app for SMS on my prev phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I'm about to jump ship from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S7 and my main concern at the moment is that my older Alpine car stereo won't support Android as far as I can tell.

What is the story with Android support in car stereos these days? The idea of dropping another $200-300 to upgrade my car stereo when the one I have works just fine is a little off-putting. I would only want a single din stereo and something that gives me basic usb play/pause/forward/back/volume controls plus displays the song playing. I guess my fallback can be trying to make bluetooth work or failing that using a 3.5" cable but I don't like the idea that I'd constantly be fumbling with the phone to change songs and such.

last i looked (a few years ago so may be different) the head units would support android but only specific apps like pandora or spotify, and it varies between brands which were supported. on crutchfield the android auto head units were like 4-500 dollars a few months ago lol. I would just get one that supports bluetooth and call it a day if I were you