Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

She managed to push through this hide distraction everyone's talking about, except that none of the conservative nutjobs i keep on Facebook have mentioned it, but it's big i swear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grouchio posted:

If Trump were to be replaced before the General Election (if that's even possible), wouldn't that defeat Hilary's chances of a large nationwide landslide because suddenly a less venomous candidate has been picked?

Or would that just set the entirety of his genuine fan-base against the GOP in a real act of revolt?

If Trump stays on Hillary wins with sround 370 EVs. If they replace him she wins with all 538.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

If Trump were to be replaced before the General Election (if that's even possible), wouldn't that defeat Hilary's chances of a large nationwide landslide because suddenly a less venomous candidate has been picked?

Or would that just set the entirety of his genuine fan-base against the GOP in a real act of revolt?

I would guess that a very large percentage on the GOP base is only trump for this election and would probably be really pissed if he left this election for any reason even of his own doing.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
"Sacrifices?!" Trump pivots in the door and just keeps pivoting, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. He pivots against your toilet, busting it up big time. You get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's pivoting at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. As he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I've sacrificed so much, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Grouchio posted:

Well, it's never happened before. The new nominee might not make it on all state ballots (Dems will absolutely try to ensure Trump stays where the law even hints that he can't be replaced), and the Trump diehards would riot, either staying home or voting third party. It would likely guarantee that the GOP cannot get 270 votes, and would probably have crippling effects up and down the ballot.

Or it'll save them and lead them to a second republican revolution. Who the gently caress knows?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Teddybear posted:

Well, it's never happened before. The new nominee might not make it on all state ballots (Dems will absolutely try to ensure Trump stays where the law even hints that he can't be replaced), and the Trump diehards would riot, either staying home or voting third party. It would likely guarantee that the GOP cannot get 270 votes, and would probably have crippling effects up and down the ballot.

Or it'll save them and lead them to a second republican revolution. Who the gently caress knows?

Technically, they only need Hillary to not get 270...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Trump's personal brand will emerge from this election unscathed. The RNC yanking their support will only help. It play's into his narrative that the system is against him. There is a certain percentage of the population for which Trump can do no wrong. We he loses the election, he will just claim that it was because the RNC didn't provide enough support and because crooked Hillary and the media rigged everything against him. Trump has a sizable following that is loyal to him and not the Republican party in general. These people honestly believe that Hillary should be in jail or dead, and that Trump can't win because of the crooked establishment. The real question is what is Trump going to do with his followers. It's not enough to win the presidency, but he should after the election be able to keep a good sized cult of personality to stroke his ego and line his pockets.

If Trump had any real ambition or intelligence, we could be looking at a small fascist uprising after he loses the election. Luckily Hitler 2.0 came in the guise of a demented old man.

The only thing that bothers me is that Trump's behavior has caused outrage fatigue, and he's faced no consequences beyond lower poll numbers. Hopefully he gets arrested for some of the things he's going to say after he loses.

If what we've seen of Trump is any indication, there's no way he'll be satisfied with any lesser power or attention than what's he's getting now. I doubt he'll go full on fascist uprising, but he'll use this fanbase to keep himself relevant as much as possible. It's likely that he'll "joking" call for them to go to extremes for his sake and eventually unleash something terrible.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Teddybear posted:

That and the Trump supporters will flip out about how he got robbed by the GOP, and won't be able to unify behind one candidate.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

gfsincere posted:

Sorry to bring this back but I pointed this out the very first time I went to a board game meetup (it was all white people) and how they pretty much glossed over the rampant and brutal slavery, and was kicked out of said meetup group because "I made players uncomfortable".

If you don't shape the worker pool in to a little Africa, you're not playing Puerto Rico right.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

"I'm not wrong! I'm not wrong!" I say as I pivot and slowly turn into a cheeto

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Davethulhu posted:

"Sacrifices?!" Trump pivots in the door and just keeps pivoting, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. He pivots against your toilet, busting it up big time. You get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's pivoting at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. As he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I've sacrificed so much, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down.
Perfect.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Schizotek posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/buckley-vidal-and-the-queer-question
That dumb tangent on Gore Vidal led me to this lovely article, in which the writer concludes his piece with:

The New Yorker is garbage.
Lord this is a terrible article. And even though it came out in 2015, worse to read this particular day in light of the Daily Beast Grindr olympic outing scandal.

quote:

I happen to have watched this confrontation live, on a bulbous black-and-white TV set, and that was certainly my impression, too—at the time. No doubt I was influenced by my opinion of the war: like Vidal, I was very much against it (if for somewhat different reasons). Revisiting the fracas forty-seven years later, I’m not so sure. Buckley’s feral hatred still seems marginally nastier than Vidal’s sneering condescension. But in the fullness of time, who, really, “won”?
Queer acceptance has changed in 47 years? You don't say, you old fart.

I just don't know how you can spend the first half of your graf saying that the National Review loved Franco, link to an article about the NRO calling Bernie Sanders a Nazi, and then be like "nah, it's all slander."

Wait yes I do know how you can do that: the same way that that frat boy got recorded on the bus singing about how there'll "never be a n*gger SAE" and everyone and his mom (literally) came out to say "no, he's not racist." The standards are so high that unless you're straight up lynching you're not a racist, and if you're not literally genociding jews you're not a (crypto)-Nazi.

Anyway the New Yorker will stand up for any kind of monster so long as he's genteel and uses prescriptive grammar. Buckley fits the bill perfectly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grouchio posted:

He can't be replaced against his will short of being incapacitated and ousting your official nominee? To outsiders your party looks to be a mess and to Trump supporters you've just told them their vote in the primary was meaningless and it's time for them to shut up and obey. The level of voter disgust would be immense. It'd potentially hut downtickets more than keeping Trump because a lot of people who are planning to vote might not vote for anyone in the party due to being seen as complicit in the ratfucking. That's assuming none of his already violent and crazy supporters turn their violence towards the GOP instead of random protesters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheLoquid posted:

Monopoly legitimizes exploitation of renters. Risk legitimizes imperialism. Chess legitimizes authoritarianism and the exploitation of the most vulnerable. Don't play any games.
Monopoly is actually a clone/ripoff of The Landlord's Game which was created by Georgists to criticize economic rent-seeking by property owners.

Gail Wynand posted:

When the "mechanical apartheid" phrase showed up in previews some people in the gaming media rushed to call it problematic cultural appropriation etc, only to end up with egg on their faces when it turned out that a dev team led by PoC came up with it.
What is this dumb bullshit? This is as stupid as "Bayonetta was designed by a woman so therefore cannot be sexist!!!"

Also mechanical apartheid as others have pointed out has existed as a concept in science fiction for a long time, and is something real life idiot transhumanists worry about all the time, so it's really not strange for it to be given that term and discussed in the world of Deus Ex: Every Conspiracy Is Real. However, it's quite another thing for the marketing geniuses at Square Enix to trademark it and make it a big part of their marketing campaign, that's just tone deaf to a degree that puts even Sony to shame.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How did Matt Drudge ever become a thing?
A repressed homosexual crush on Walter Winchell

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 12, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Davethulhu posted:

"Sacrifices?!" Trump pivots in the door and just keeps pivoting, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. He pivots against your toilet, busting it up bigly. You get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's pivoting at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. As he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I've sacrificed so much, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down.

Slightly fixed, now perfect.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I just thought of something wonderful... What happens if trump poisons the well of his supporters after he loses such that they no longer support the republican party? What if he continues to be 'politically active' in some way post election just for the attention he so desperately craves and while doing so, he makes his supporters irredeemably toxic to the general electorate. Meaning anyone they would support could never be elected to wider office, therefore ensuring the death of 'true conservatism'.

Basically what happens if trumps supporters become trump supporters rather than republican supporters after the election?

Roflan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 12, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For that reason I'm really hoping that the RNC ceases support for Trump as the election draws nearer. Let the fingerprinting as to who is to blame ensure after November.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Roflan posted:

I just thought of something wonderful... What happens if trump poisons the well of his supporters after he loses such that they no longer support the republican party? What if he continues to be 'politically active' in some way post election just for the attention he so desperately craves and while doing so, he makes his supporters irredeemably toxic to the general electorate. Meaning anyone they would support could never be elected to wider office, therefore ensuring the death of 'true conservatism'.

Basically what happens if trumps supporters become trump supporters rather than republican supporters after the election?
Since he's doing this for the Democrats, that's exactly what he'll do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Roflan posted:

That's why dumping Trump still isn't going to win the GOP the election. Instead of all of Trump's supporters + moderate Republicans jumping on the new guy's bandwagon, the former will either vote for Trump or no one at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

He can't be replaced against his will short of being incapacitated and ousting your official nominee? To outsiders your party looks to be a mess and to Trump supporters you've just told them their vote in the primary was meaningless and it's time for them to shut up and obey. The level of voter disgust would be immense. It'd potentially hut downtickets more than keeping Trump because a lot of people who are planning to vote might not vote for anyone in the party due to being seen as complicit in the ratfucking. That's assuming none of his already violent and crazy supporters turn their violence towards the GOP instead of random protesters.

They should do this anyway, and if they had any principles or courage they would have stolen the nomination from Trump.

It will piss off the Trumpists and split the party, which is exactly what they need to do because (1) the Trump supporters are nominating candidates who are poison in the general election and costing them races and (2) even if they win and someone like Trump gets elected that's disastrous for everyone in the country including the Republican leadership.

But, that would mean finding a new coalition and moderating some of their deeply unpopular economic policies a little bit, so instead they're just giving mealy-mouthed support to the white nationalist and hoping enough of them keep their jobs anyway so they can chip away at taxes, regulation, and government support to anyone making less than $250,000 a year.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Reset the clock.

Someone mark the time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, Johnson vs Feingold is interesting. Johnson's only method of attack is to A. call Feingold a "Career politician" (which is true, he's been in politics since 1982), trying the "anti-establishment" hit (Johnson is a businessman), and B. go after Feingold for voting against funding the Iraq war and the Patriot act. Meanwhile Feingold is hitting Johnson on education (namely student loans), environment, big oil connections, and other assorted items.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also mechanical apartheid as others have pointed out has existed as a concept in science fiction for a long time, and is something real life idiot transhumanists worry about all the time, so it's really not strange for it to be given that term and discussed in the world of Deus Ex: Every Conspiracy Is Real. However, it's quite another thing for the marketing geniuses at Square Enix to trademark it and make it a big part of their marketing campaign, that's just tone deaf to a degree that puts even Sony to shame.

In fairness at least some of us idiot transhumanists worry about it because we just want to make sure we avoid a possible future source of discrimination.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reset the clock.

Someone mark the time.
Can I be happy that in he's even accidentally calling for an end to indefinite detention with no trial?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 12, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

What is this dumb bullshit? This is as stupid as "Bayonetta was designed by a woman so therefore cannot be sexist!!!"
The concerns with Bayonetta were related to oversexualized characters. Different issue. Either a female character is oversexualized or she isn't.

People are accusing the Deus Ex devs of unethically appropriating the struggles of PoC for commercial gain and in that context their identities are important.

I agree, the marketing people at Square are idiots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gail Wynand posted:

The concerns with Bayonetta were related to oversexualized characters. Different issue. Either a female character is oversexualized or she isn't.

People are accusing the Deus Ex devs of unethically appropriating the struggles of PoC for commercial gain and in that context their identities are important.

I agree, the marketing people at Square are idiots.

One could say they're a bunch of Squares.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bayonetta is as oversexualized as your average drag performance. She's an over exaggeration of feminine gender traits to point out their ridiculousness.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Oh this oughta be good

https://twitter.com/chrissnyderfox/status/763949452688097280

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I be happy that in his flippant, ignorant way he's actually calling for an end to indefinite detention with no trial?

Yes. I can't remember the last time I read something about Guantanamo that wasn't just "GOP Says No to Obama's Plan, Obama Sad".

Well. I can remember. But my therapist recommends I focus on non-torture-related things these days.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheLoquid posted:

Monopoly legitimizes exploitation of renters. Risk legitimizes imperialism. Chess legitimizes authoritarianism and the exploitation of the most vulnerable. Don't play any games.

play hive and star realms like god intended

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Let me guess, one of the keystones of his strategy is to say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

The 6th Amendment? That's a loser amendment.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

TheLoquid posted:

Is Civ cool if I exclusively play scenarios where I steamroll America as Gandhi?

Also we should Let's Play this :getin:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

greatn posted:

Let me guess, one of the keystones of his strategy is to say the magic words "radical Islamic terrorism"

Kill their families, destroy their homes, open up the ol' Rules of Engagement, etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nucleic Acids posted:

Kill their families, destroy their homes, open up the ol' Rules of Engagement, etc.

Nuke everything from Marrakech to Urumqi.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

greatn posted:

It reminds of the news cycles where they were screaming about the Ebola outbreak. No actual substance, just a chance to yell a frightening phrase a lot and freak people out.

It's like a horror movie directed by a 5 year old.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

All this board and card game talk makes me wish I had more IRL friends to play them with :<

man I'm gonna need some high quality popcorn for this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Is Civ cool if I exclusively play scenarios where I steamroll America as Gandhi?

Also we should Let's Play this :getin:

"your first golden age lasts the entire game. Unhappiness increased by 100%"

loving beautiful.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gfsincere posted:

Sorry to bring this back but I pointed this out the very first time I went to a board game meetup (it was all white people) and how they pretty much glossed over the rampant and brutal slavery, and was kicked out of said meetup group because "I made players uncomfortable".

I'm black, so I made their little slavery simulation not fun anymore I guess.

Also I won the game.

I'm pretty amazed that people are capable of looking at nearly any eurogame and not going "hm, hm, this is problematic as gently caress." Like Splendor and Settlers are just straight up "Colonialism is cooool"

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

The only thing that bothers me is that Trump's behavior has caused outrage fatigue, and he's faced no consequences beyond lower poll numbers. Hopefully he gets arrested for some of the things he's going to say after he loses.

You know he won't. He's part of the political class now, and thus beyond repercussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tulip posted:

I'm pretty amazed that people are capable of looking at nearly any eurogame and not going "hm, hm, this is problematic as gently caress." Like Splendor and Settlers are just straight up "Colonialism is cooool"

People need to take games approximately 99.7% less seriously.

They're games.

• Locked thread