Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You don't have to use brown tokens in a colonialist board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Are we taking bets on whether or not Trump calls for the nuking of Mecca?

On Monday, that is. I'm pretty goddamn sure that between now and November the odds of him not saying something to that effect are slimmer than the odds of him admitting this was all an Andy Kaufman bit he'd been dying to do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Shortest Path posted:

People need to take games approximately 99.7% less seriously.

They're games.

Games are one of the most vitally important parts of human culture and society in existence. If anything they should be taken far more seriously.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

On Monday, that is. I'm pretty goddamn sure that between now and November the odds of him not saying something to that effect are slimmer than the odds of him admitting this was all an Andy Kaufman bit he'd been dying to do.

Maybe Trump is Andy :monocle:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/763958292410355713

I mean...

Please don't let anyone clue him in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SenJohnThune/status/763919046739832832

And on a scale from one to ten, go gently caress yourself.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
risk is insanely problematic because it leads to people thinking risk is good

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
But but but if he reveals his plan then ISIS is going to know about it :ohdear:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

More than anything else in this world right now, I want some hotshot to go about convincing Trump the problem is that pussy Rinse Prius holding him back all the time. People want The Donald, not another GOPe guy, and they're worried you're another GOPe guy! You gotta take the gloves off Don, stop holding back because of what Reince says, you go out there and tell the truth no-holds-barred, the doubters will come around. The problem ain't you Don, it's bad advice you're getting, that's all.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't think he's ready to blatantly say that he'd be willing to nuke something because even Trump must be aware of how much negative feedback he's generated from even asking about nuclear weapons. I think it's going to be a lot of what we've heard before from him, but with some of the absolute worst stuff all piled together. My personal bet is that he's going to boil it down to 1) banning immigration 2) somehow legalizing torture 3) threatening some of our closest allies to 'help us or else!' and 4) something even more astonishingly awful and insane than the last three points which his staff either were not informed of or begged him not to say. This mysterious fourth point will have the crowd cheering even more wildly than they inevitably will for the previous three and will immediately have the media in a frenzy and Republican politicians rushing to organize a 'super extra special emergency meeting which will work for real this time'.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nucleic Acids posted:

Kill their families, destroy their homes, open up the ol' Rules of Engagement, etc.

We didn't kill Hitler by trying to minimize radical germanic extremist casualties, now did we?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Anyone have a link to that one video of a US spokesperson getting asked a question about the Brexit which had just happened, and his face runs through a gamut of emotions?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Seeric posted:

I don't think he's ready to blatantly say that he'd be willing to nuke something because even Trump must be aware of how much negative feedback he's generated from even asking about nuclear weapons. I think it's going to be a lot of what we've heard before from him, but with some of the absolute worst stuff all piled together. My personal bet is that he's going to boil it down to 1) banning immigration 2) somehow legalizing torture 3) threatening some of our closest allies to 'help us or else!' and 4) something even more astonishingly awful and insane than the last three points which his staff either were not informed of or begged him not to say. This mysterious fourth point will have the crowd cheering even more wildly than they inevitably will for the previous three and will immediately have the media in a frenzy and Republican politicians rushing to organize a 'super extra special emergency meeting which will work for real this time'.
He is totally gonna at least insinuate that the Middle East should be turned into glass. If not actually say 'nuke Mecca.'*

*statement dependent on whether or not he actually knows of Mecca and its importance in Islam.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Davethulhu posted:

"Sacrifices?!" Trump pivots in the door and just keeps pivoting, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. He pivots against your toilet, busting it up big time. You get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's pivoting at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. As he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I've sacrificed so much, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down.

can someone please re-post the Arzy version of this?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Seeric posted:

I don't think he's ready to blatantly say that he'd be willing to nuke something because even Trump must be aware of how much negative feedback he's generated from even asking about nuclear weapons.

It's increasingly clear that Trump just doesn't understand anything.

Is he receiving classified briefings yet or has America dodged that bullet?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Obama ordered that trump's briefings all be false information since he wouldn't know the difference anyway. Besides, candidates getting security briefings isn't a law, it's just a courtesy and at the pleasure of the president(I think).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Oracle posted:

He is totally gonna at least insinuate that the Middle East should be turned into glass. If not actually say 'nuke Mecca.'*

*statement dependent on whether or not he actually knows of Mecca and its importance in Islam.

Zodiac Killer beat him to it when he asked if sand can glow.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Grouchio posted:

If Trump were to be replaced before the General Election (if that's even possible), wouldn't that defeat Hilary's chances of a large nationwide landslide because suddenly a less venomous candidate has been picked?

Or would that just set the entirety of his genuine fan-base against the GOP in a real act of revolt?

At this point , he'd still be on the ballot in every state and the replacement would have to organize a write in campaign, presumably from a hidden bunker surrounded by a small army of USSS agents.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

1stGear posted:

Trump says so much random bullshit if accidentally outs some major covert operation nobody will notice. I think that already happened when he mentioned a base in Saudi Arabia that did exist, or possibly does exist, or maybe Trump just put a bunch of scary words together and that statement was the result.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ghetto Prince posted:

At this point , he'd still be on the ballot in every state and the replacement would have to organize a write in campaign, presumably from a hidden bunker surrounded by a small army of USSS agents.

Once the ballots are done, it's done. That's game over. The convention is about choosing who the party places on the ballot in their own slot. If that slot now has DONALD J. TRUMP printed on it in yuuge luxurious letters, that's it. He's the Republican nominee, period.

Given that ballot access is closed off in 35 states by EOB today, #NeverTrump is finally dead and buried. There will be no knight in shining armour.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Are there any good liberal-bubble whistful writeups on how severely Cheeto might tank the downticket candidates?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just hope Trump starts this speech by saying his prepared remarks are boring so he's just winging it. At that point, I wouldn't put mentioning nukes as an option off the table.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Antti posted:

Once the ballots are done, it's done. That's game over. The convention is about choosing who the party places on the ballot in their own slot. If that slot now has DONALD J. TRUMP printed on it in yuuge luxurious letters, that's it. He's the Republican nominee, period.

Given that ballot access is closed off in 35 states by EOB today, #NeverTrump is finally dead and buried. There will be no knight in shining armour.

The never trumps don't need a viable campaign, they just need to gently caress over Trump, and they only need a couple states for that

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

Again, a winning wedge issue this election is to turn it into a referendum on islam. Fortunately Donald Trump can't even stick to a loving teleprompter at a fundraiser, much less in public.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
New Triumph Election Special Up.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keo09irLZ2c

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The never trumps don't need a viable campaign, they just need to gently caress over Trump, and they only need a couple states for that

Or they could just vote for and support another candidate actually on the ballot.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Antti posted:

Or they could just vote for and support another candidate actually on the ballot.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Davethulhu posted:

"Sacrifices?!" Trump pivots in the door and just keeps pivoting, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. He pivots against your toilet, busting it up big time. You get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's pivoting at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. As he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I've sacrificed so much, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down.

What's the origin of this, anyway? I see it a lot around here and Google isn't turning anything up (except to possibly confirm my vague idea that it has something to do with Seinfeld).

Artificer posted:

Anyone have a link to that one video of a US spokesperson getting asked a question about the Brexit which had just happened, and his face runs through a gamut of emotions?

Do you mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bDo0_v06k

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

[/quote]

He receives classified briefings like any nominee, but there's no actual knowledge that is given to them that isn't really known publicly, one of the posters here compared it to the White House daily briefing. Remember that classified doesn't necessarily mean secret, rather it means something gov't people are unable to discuss.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Atahualpa posted:

What's the origin of this, anyway? I see it a lot around here and Google isn't turning anything up (except to possibly confirm my vague idea that it has something to do with Seinfeld).

Do you mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bDo0_v06k

Yea I misremembered. Thank you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antti posted:

There are a surprisingly large number of people who seem to have a genuine religious crisis at the prospect of not voting for a Republican. I don't mean like the way leftists would write off the Democrats for a third party, I mean they seem violently repelled at the very idea, and are having sincere personal distress trying to reconcile this. It does seem theological to me.

I think the only reason Gary Johnson is doing well is that he gives Republicans an out on this topic, and I imagine many of them will instead come back to the Donald. But many more won't vote at all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

There's more Republican executive experience (combined 14 years' worth) on the Libertarian ticket than the Republican ticket (three years). It does seem theological to me too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

More than anything else in this world right now, I want some hotshot to go about convincing Trump the problem is that pussy Rinse Prius holding him back all the time. People want The Donald, not another GOPe guy, and they're worried you're another GOPe guy! You gotta take the gloves off Don, stop holding back because of what Reince says, you go out there and tell the truth no-holds-barred, the doubters will come around. The problem ain't you Don, it's bad advice you're getting, that's all.

This is actually what a voice in Donald Trump's head is saying, all the time.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Atahualpa posted:

I can't find the original either but it definitely involves replacing "pivoting" with "Kramering".

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I've been seeing a bunch of stuff on Facebook recently about how every single poll is rigged by Hillary and the media, and Donald J. Trump is going to win the election in a landslide.

The "proof" for this vast conspiracy is that Trump has more Facebook "likes", Twitter followers, and Youtube streaming viewers than Clinton, which is perfectly logical because we elected Vin Diesel as President in 2012.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

azflyboy posted:

I've been seeing a bunch of stuff on Facebook recently about how every single poll is rigged by Hillary and the media, and Donald J. Trump is going to win the election in a landslide.

The "proof" for this vast conspiracy is that Trump has more Facebook "likes", Twitter followers, and Youtube streaming viewers than Clinton, which is perfectly logical because we elected Vin Diesel as President in 2012.
I think the Long Room unskewing people are basically going, "Well, obviously Trump is about tied with Hillary, so this poll's percentage for Hillary is actually its bias factor."

The top-liked commenter on Robert Reich's posts is always some bernie or bust type saying how we FAILED BERNIE - AND OURSELVES and getting five thousand likes for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

The top-liked commenter on Robert Reich's posts is always some bernie or bust type saying how we FAILED BERNIE - AND OURSELVES and getting five thousand likes for it.

Robert Reich buying into that whole "DNC emails means they were corrupt!", including this week's nothingburger of a reveal is such a goddamn disappointment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Robert Reich is correct and since Hillary has won, there's no sense in pretending he isn't correct.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nessus posted:

I think the Long Room unskewing people are basically going, "Well, obviously Trump is about tied with Hillary, so this poll's percentage for Hillary is actually its bias factor."

Fivethirtyeight just wrote a cool analysis on the Long Room.

They are calling it election fan fiction.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Nessus posted:

It's like these people are determined to ruin Bernie for everyone else.

They can't; he's still cool just like pasty nerds can't ruin Bogart in a trenchcoat and fedora. But they do try so very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There appears to be a very very vocal part of the "progressive/left-leaning" population who believes that Hillary Clinton and the DNC cannot, axiomatically cannot, do anything good. Anything that Clinton says is either a lie to earn her votes (if they agree with it), or her true opinion that will be enacted as soon as she is in office (if they disagree). Among my friends list, these people went hard for Sanders and are now equally enthusiastic for Jill loving Stein.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 12, 2016

• Locked thread