Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

axleblaze posted:

Basically in PaRappa you can win by just pressing the buttons at the right time but the game also encourages free styling which is pressing other buttons perfectly within the rhythm between the needed button presses. If you're really good it just all sounds crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3s-Vr6eTM

I've got no idea what you're talking about, this is exactly how it usually sounds I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The versus mode in parappa 2 was hilarious because you'd do a call and answer where each player would make something up and the other would have to play it

My friend would just spam buttons like crazy so it always sounded like that and was impossible to follow

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god. The next boss has a gimmick where he can just kill any one of your characters every other turn. loving awesome. I guess I'll go grind a bunch...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

I might give Rebel Galaxy another spin, too, I don't think I ever got out of the first system in that

God I abandon a lot of games :(

X3: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude are also really good space sims. It took me three tries and a goon guide on how to start the game to get into it though. Once I got in, it stuck and I loved it.

Snak posted:

Oh god. The next boss has a gimmick where he can just kill any one of your characters every other turn. loving awesome. I guess I'll go grind a bunch...

The game is big on mixing/matching classes and really timing your use of brave/default to keep your party standing. Party members will die a lot, you gotta roll with the punches. If you're playing on hard, maybe turn it down to normal. No one is judging except all of us who beat it on hard. We're judging.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 12, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just beat Tharsis for the first time! :toot:

I got some advice that boiled down to "focus on everything that gives you more dice", and it worked out - but even so, I still lost two crew members and had to resort to cannibalism once, so it wasn't a perfect run, but I feel satisfied.

Truth be told, if I'd paid more than a dollar for Tharsis I'd be more sour about the experience, but as is a dollar hits the sweet spot for a fun, weird little experience that's a cross between watching Gravity again and rolling a lot of dice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

The game is big on mixing/matching classes and really timing your use of brave/default to keep your party standing. Party members will die a lot, you gotta roll with the punches. If you're playing on hard, maybe turn it down to normal. No one is judging except all of us who beat it on hard. We're judging.

I'm playing on normal. I still think that 600 flat damage that can't be mitigated is a bullshitty gimmick.

I think the combat system is really fun so far. I don't really like how random encounters are incredibly boring easy trash that I can just brave rush the entire encounter with my first character, and bosses are these giant hp pools with 1 gimmick I've got to work around. I feel like a middle ground would be really great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

I'm playing on normal. I still think that 600 flat damage that can't be mitigated is a bullshitty gimmick.

I think the combat system is really fun so far. I don't really like how random encounters are incredibly boring easy trash that I can just brave rush the entire encounter with my first character, and bosses are these giant hp pools with 1 gimmick I've got to work around. I feel like a middle ground would be really great.

if you didn't want those things then you shouldn't have bought bravely default

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Snak posted:

I mean my issue is basically that I obviously don't know what a boss's gimmick is going to be,

You were caught off guard by the guy that is obviously a knight using the iconic knight abilities from FFV, in a game that is obviously an homage to FFV.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bloodychill posted:

X3: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude are also really good space sims. It took me three tries and a goon guide on how to start the game to get into it though. Once I got in, it stuck and I loved it.

Yeah I think earlier I mentioned how I'd only gotten to about the point of having two ships before I stopped playing TC, previously. I should give it another go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The bosses actually requiring some amount of engagement with the system is the best thing abut Bravely Default.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
oh my loving god. Wasn't paying attention, wiped and lost the last 4 minutes of grinding. gently caress my life.

Not used to having to manually save in games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, yeah. Don't forget to turn the battle speed up if your grinding. Because if your going to grind you might as well do it at 4x

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, yeah. Don't forget to turn the battle speed up if your grinding. Because if your going to grind you might as well do it at 4x

Oh I am. I ran around killing poo poo for half and hour and then decided i would fly to another continent for fun. Met new and exciting enemies who promptly 1-shotted me. realized that I just negated that chaining 1-turn hero for 10 ten minutes.

There's not really an exploration component to this game, is there? I have yet to find anything I can interact with that isn't a current objective...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Oh I am. I ran around killing poo poo for half and hour and then decided i would fly to another continent for fun. Met new and exciting enemies who promptly 1-shotted me. realized that I just negated that chaining 1-turn hero for 10 ten minutes.

There's not really an exploration component to this game, is there? I have yet to find anything I can interact with that isn't a current objective...

There are side quests to get new jobs and they're pretty decent. It's not a big exploration game though, it's pretty linear with the illusion of choice like SNES-era Final Fantasy games (not that that's a bad thing). To me, the big draw is the battle system and the bosses culminating in the crazy boss rush at the end of the game where you will have to pull out all the stops on bullshit mechanics to get through. Also I am one of like 5 people who really likes the story even with the big dumb part everyone hates.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

There are side quests to get new jobs and they're pretty decent. It's not a big exploration game though, it's pretty linear with the illusion of choice like SNES-era Final Fantasy games (not that that's a bad thing). To me, the big draw is the battle system and the bosses culminating in the crazy boss rush at the end of the game where you will have to pull out all the stops on bullshit mechanics to get through. Also I am one of like 5 people who really likes the story even with the big dumb part everyone hates.

Those sidequests are always gonna have blue bubbles, though, right?

Yeah, I never played any SNES era FF games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Those sidequests are always gonna have blue bubbles, though, right?

Yeah, they always have the blue bubbles.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4XtdEnWx4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finally the modern remake that will accurately replicate how much goldeneye was not actually that good

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I got bored of Bravely Default at the point where I beat the guy who runs the snowy country and unlocked the vampire's castle. It's a fun game but I think at that point I just felt like I'd got all the enjoyment I could out of the battle system. Maybe the other world is fun, but I ran out of steam to keep going.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

finally the modern remake that will accurately replicate how much goldeneye was not actually that good
They should Black Mesa it. Black Mesa ended up being the best Half-Life game I played and I'm pretty sure it's due to the devs redesigning every level.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No Man's Lie

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270760240713728

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Whatever but that got me thinking that what they should add to NMS is the ability to find message beacons from other players a'la Dark Souls.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Palpek posted:

Whatever but that got me thinking that what they should add to NMS is the ability to find message beacons from other players a'la Dark Souls.
It's most assuredly already on a long list of cut features that they may or may not get around to implementing

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I think earlier I mentioned how I'd only gotten to about the point of having two ships before I stopped playing TC, previously. I should give it another go.
I think the thing is that you crave a space game that focuses on good combat that isn't just an afterthough and doesn't drown in simulation elements. That's what X-Wing/Tie Fighter games were about. Sadly it's a niche that hasn't been filled for a while now. There are a lot of space games out there but they focus on trading, exploration, space travel etc. but none of them really do space combat justice where it would be action oriented but still have enough depth to keep you interested.

Your best bet in the matter would probably be FreeSpaceOpen which lets you play FreeSpace with updated graphics and fan patches such, it owns. The game also has a living mod community.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Isn't Eve online doing that dogfighting game in VR? That looks like it could be pretty fun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Red Bones posted:

Isn't Eve online doing that dogfighting game in VR? That looks like it could be pretty fun.
Yeah, the trailer looked exactly like what I was looking for in a space dogfighting game but who knows how the final products will end up.

Hilariously enough my go-to title when I want to shoot some bad guys in space is Battlefront. They added bot battles to the starfighter mode a couple of weeks ago and it's cool to boot it up and play a few rounds. It's too casual and there's no campaign that would make it interrsting, only some space arenas but still shooting swarms of TIE fighters around Cloud City while piloting the Millennium Falcon scratches the itch.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

This is amazing and I will play the poo poo out of it. Well the single player anyway, the multiplayer has not aged well.

Pretty sure that to this day, I have sunk more hours into Golden Eye than any other single game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 12, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No Man's Sky is really really good. About exactly what I expected it to be. I've played over 20 hours already, which is a lot for me.

Games are pretty good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That looks rad. I will play it, and enjoy it, and enjoy the nostalgia.

I remember how I really wanted to play goldeneye when I was younger but my stepdad had put it up on the top shelf so I couldn't play it anymore because he and my mom agreed it was way too violent for a 7 year-old. I was allowed to watch violent movies (tho I didn't like to) but I wasn't allowed to play those games because they thought I'd try to copy them in real life.

They got mad at me for getting impatient in the car once and saying to just go while we were at a red light. They got mad, saying the only reason I was being an impatient little kid was because I played the first Driver game for all of like 15 minutes lol

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

FirstAidKite posted:

That looks rad. I will play it, and enjoy it, and enjoy the nostalgia.

I remember how I really wanted to play goldeneye when I was younger but my stepdad had put it up on the top shelf so I couldn't play it anymore because he and my mom agreed it was way too violent for a 7 year-old. I was allowed to watch violent movies (tho I didn't like to) but I wasn't allowed to play those games because they thought I'd try to copy them in real life.

They got mad at me for getting impatient in the car once and saying to just go while we were at a red light. They got mad, saying the only reason I was being an impatient little kid was because I played the first Driver game for all of like 15 minutes lol

Similar childhood story here as well but instead of Goldeneye it was Starcraft64 and instead of violence it was just because they wanted some laughs by placing it on the dashboard while the doors were locked so that I can't get it.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Heres a question, I definitely 100% bought all the DLC for Red Dead Redemption years ago including the Undead Nightmare pack.

Thought I would test the backwards compatibility on an Xbox One but it says I need to purchase the Undead Nightmare pack? I went to my microsoft account purchase history but it just shows points I bought (since it was MSP then). Anyone encountered anything like this before? Seems a bit dumb since I 100% bought it before on the XBL Store.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Similar childhood story here as well but instead of Goldeneye it was Starcraft64 and instead of violence it was just because they wanted some laughs by placing it on the dashboard while the doors were locked so that I can't get it.

:(

I'm sorry they were being jerks to you like that. Maybe it was just all in good fun but I can imagine a child not taking it very well because they are a child.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My parents let me play whatever. Just so happens I leaned more towards mario and platformers despite my older brothers being really into shooters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I mostly leaned towards rpgs and platformers. Some shooters, but not a lot. I remember my mom making a big deal out of the first t-rated game I got because I was 12 and not 13 and the game in question was xenosaga and I guess she was treating the esrb ratings as like....idk, like something where if you didn't fall into the strict age guideline of something then you would blow up if you played it or whatever, idk

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinking back on it, xenosaga was really loving violent for a t-rated game. Like, surprisingly so. Arguably moreso in the localization where they censored some stuff but the censorship made it look more violent. Xenosaga episode 2 was poo poo tho and the censorship there was just kinda funny lol

Compared to shadow hearts where I was given that as a gift when I was 14 or 15 and my mom flipped out because it was rated m and the worst part of that game is pretty much the opening cg where yuri's arm gets torn off and he just puts it back on like whatever

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Blackfyre posted:

Heres a question, I definitely 100% bought all the DLC for Red Dead Redemption years ago including the Undead Nightmare pack.

Thought I would test the backwards compatibility on an Xbox One but it says I need to purchase the Undead Nightmare pack? I went to my microsoft account purchase history but it just shows points I bought (since it was MSP then). Anyone encountered anything like this before? Seems a bit dumb since I 100% bought it before on the XBL Store.

I remember hearing that the backwards compatible version has Undead Nightmare included whether you bought it or not. Maybe that's why it's being weird?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Beat AMR2 last night- Omega Metroids are Big Jerks but I liked the take on the final boss; pretty good

Kind of actually makes me want to play the original M2 for some reason

Or Super Metroid

Or Fusion

Or Zero Mission

Or Prime

Actually I may just be in a constant state of kind of wanting to play Metroid games

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FirstAidKite posted:

I guess she was treating the esrb ratings as like....idk, like something where if you didn't fall into the strict age guideline of something then you would blow up if you played it or whatever, idk
Let's play a game where we guess the titles from their partial (not to give everything away) infamously dry ESRB descriptions (don't google them jeez):

quote:

Some selections can result in acts of violence and/or depictions of gore: a man shot in the chest; an enemy bit in half by a creature; a woman decapitated by a grenade; a character's heart punched through his chest. Large blood-splatter effects occur when characters are injured/killed. The game includes some sexual material in the dialogue (e.g., “I always thought I'd drink or sex myself to death too,” and “I expected some good hate-sex and that it'd end with me takin' one of his fingers”).

quote:

Players have the ability to kill non-adversary characters (e.g., striking them with an ax, shooting them in plain sight), though this may negatively affect players' progress and points. Large blood-splatter effects often occur, and pools of blood appear under victims' bodies. During the course of the game, some female characters are seen unconscious and dragged by players' character; their underwear and portions of their buttocks are sometimes depicted. The dialogue also contains suggestive material (e.g., "Go get yourself laid or something," "I'm a wh*re," and "...move your pelvis back and forth and in and out.") There are also brief references to drugs in dialogue (e.g., “He's probably coked out of his mind” and “You don't have any coke, do you?”).

quote:

Some choices can influence other characters to engage in acts of violence (e.g., beating up a bully, shooting a man in self-defense) and/or lead to their deaths (e.g., a character getting shot in the head or stomach, a character committing suicide). Blood is depicted around the corpses and/or when characters are injured. The game also contains implied references to sexual assault and pictures of drugged and bound female characters (fully clothed). Additional sequences contain reference to sexual material: a porn magazine that states “Oregon's Best Boobs;” sexual graffiti on walls (e.g., “69 reasons to b*ng Rachel," “Victoria love D”). During the course of the game, a character is shown smoking marijuana; one sequence depicts high-school students intoxicated with alcohol and/or passed out in a party setting.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Palpek posted:

Let's play a game where we guess the titles from their partial (not to give everything away) infamously dry ESRB descriptions (don't google them jeez):

No More Heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red Bones posted:

EVE: Valkyrie isn't connected to EVE directly, only thematically, and its extremely shallow. It looks great and gets you excited for VR, but then its just really, really simple and boring.

I remember playing Goldeneye Source a few years ago and it was so-so. I'll have to see if its improved, do they have proper single player now?

• Locked thread