Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, who is? :stare:

Dee and Dennis's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Figaro posted:

Dee and Dennis's dad

Also Andy's dad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Figaro posted:

Dee and Dennis's dad

funnier (sadder?) now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_lwPdVjys

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

They tried to mix the art and wonder if 2001 A Space Odyssey with the fun of Star Wars. It didn't quite work. Also, Paramount rushed release and a lot of sfx the could've been tightened and were too long or unfinished.

well, it was more that Paramount had contractually agreed to a set release date, and the head of Paramount was quoted as saying he would sooner send out cans full of blank film than pay out the penalties specified in the contract for missing the release date

and TMP came drat close to testing that, because the special effects company they'd originally hired had wasted a huge amount of time and had even worked on some other commercial projects on Paramount's time and equipment. a huge reason that TMP went so staggeringly over budget is because Paramount spent a huge amount of money on massive amounts of overtime as the teams they brought on to replace Robert Abel & Associates basically worked nonstop for a year right up to the movie premiere

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

well, it was more that Paramount had contractually agreed to a set release date, and the head of Paramount was quoted as saying he would sooner send out cans full of blank film than pay out the penalties specified in the contract for missing the release date

and TMP came drat close to testing that, because the special effects company they'd originally hired had wasted a huge amount of time and had even worked on some other commercial projects on Paramount's time and equipment. a huge reason that TMP went so staggeringly over budget is because Paramount spent a huge amount of money on massive amounts of overtime as the teams they brought on to replace Robert Abel & Associates basically worked nonstop for a year right up to the movie premiere
Was Robert Wise to blame for any of this or was this a producer's gently caress up?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I'm 35 and this year I finally truly realized and accepted in my heart that we will never get off this stupid planet and have fun space adventures and the Drake equation is way too generous and the best you can hope for is that we at least figure out how to not kill each other to death before the sun eats earth. Star Trek lied to me. :(

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Life is full of disappointment you wouldn't believe how betrayed I felt when I figured out my mom didn't have a dick hidden up in there.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I was also super disappointed to find out your mom had no dick.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugh, I'm on the DS9 episode where the Cardassian raised as a Bajoran gets stuck with the O'Brien family, so Cakehole decides to treat him like a Cardassian rather than his adopted culture. gently caress me, she is dumb sometimesall the time. First she chews out O'Brien because of his prejudices against Cardassians, and then replicates some terrible Cardassian food so Rugal feels like one of his OWN people.

I'm assuming she thinks giving him Cardassian food will make him like Cardassians. Either that or she just didn't give a poo poo. "This is my chance to eat Cardassian food. Why aren't they eating it." I do like how Rugal and O'Brian bond over their mutual hatred of Cardies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
DS9 is the island of misfit toys

Quark/Nog/Rom - Ferengi that don't act like ferengi and fight against established ferengi power structures
Worf - Klingon who has to betray the Klingons
Kira - Bajoran who has to betray the Bajorans
Odo - Changeling who has to betray the Changelings
Garak - Cardassian who has to betray Cardassians
Sisko - PTSD soldier/Bajoran jesus, Starfleet officer who has to betray Starfleet
Bashir - Genetically engineered freak

O'Brien is the only slightly normal dude that's why they have to have episodes where they just torture him. The guy doesn't have anything to betray. He's just Whitey McNodignity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That's one of the things they do in cults, by the way. They figure out what you care about and then force you to go against your thoughts and feelings as a brainwashing tactic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm 35 and this year I finally truly realized and accepted in my heart that we will never get off this stupid planet and have fun space adventures and the Drake equation is way too generous and the best you can hope for is that we at least figure out how to not kill each other to death before the sun eats earth. Star Trek lied to me. :(

I refuse to believe this, because although NASA will likely never reach another planet, I have faith that SpaceX or some other company will do it eventually.

Then again, I'm only 26 so I still have 9 years of optimism left.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I refuse to believe this, because although NASA will likely never reach another planet, I have faith that SpaceX or some other company will do it eventually.

Then again, I'm only 26 so I still have 9 years of optimism left.

Space optimism disappears the day you realize your nagging joint pain is actually permanent and that you'll have it until you die. So yeah, mid 30's.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Space isn't an empty vacuum it's a horrible maelstrom of radiation and micro-meteorites and stuff. There's no reason why we would want to go out there. Like if you're in a root cellar in Kansas and there are multiple tornadoes outside, you wouldn't go looking to smell the daisies. The conditions in space are way worse than multiple tornadoes.

Like you couldn't just have a bubble around your head in it with just breathable air in it. You'd still die. Space is really loving harsh and inhospitable. I feel like a lot of these exploration narratives about space are based on the idea that it's an empty easily explorable area rather than a bunch of stuff that is actively trying to murder you even between planets and asteroids.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't think so he doesn't just stick to star trek

Laughing at these, i might be retarded.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No Hugh Jackman went to space on a tree he was fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Space isn't an empty vacuum it's a horrible maelstrom of radiation and micro-meteorites and stuff. There's no reason why we would want to go out there. Like if you're in a root cellar in Kansas and there are multiple tornadoes outside, you wouldn't go looking to smell the daisies. The conditions in space are way worse than multiple tornadoes.

Like you couldn't just have a bubble around your head in it with just breathable air in it. You'd still die. Space is really loving harsh and inhospitable. I feel like a lot of these exploration narratives about space are based on the idea that it's an empty easily explorable area rather than a bunch of stuff that is actively trying to murder you even between planets and asteroids.

Yeah but if you had the tech to negate all of that bullshit, why wouldn't you want to explore it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

caleramaen posted:

I'm assuming she thinks giving him Cardassian food will make him like Cardassians. Either that or she just didn't give a poo poo. "This is my chance to eat Cardassian food. Why aren't they eating it." I do like how Rugal and O'Brian bond over their mutual hatred of Cardies.

Mutual hatred of Keiko, more like.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Automatic Slim posted:

Was Robert Wise to blame for any of this or was this a producer's gently caress up?

I don't quite remember but I think the blame can be spread around. Someone should definitely have been keeping closer tabs on what the special effects contractor was up to and someone should have noticed a lot sooner that usable effects footage wasn't coming in.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pedos

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Life is full of disappointment you wouldn't believe how betrayed I felt when I figured out my mom didn't have a dick hidden up in there.

Oh but she does

mine

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mutual hatred of Keiko, more like.

Who's more hateable, Keiko or Janeway? Which is to say you have one who kind of ruins a bunch of people's lives or another who destroys one man's life completely.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't quite remember but I think the blame can be spread around. Someone should definitely have been keeping closer tabs on what the special effects contractor was up to and someone should have noticed a lot sooner that usable effects footage wasn't coming in.

It's usually a producers job to crack the whip and make sure all departments are hitting the marks.

A recurring theme of Star Trek threads it seems.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Voyager should have killed off Janeway in episode one and had a junior office be the most senior person left so s/he had to learn to command and run the ship in the middle of loving nowhere.

Instead they killed off the first officer i guess big loving deal what does a first office even do apart from have gangbangs in the holosuite/messhall

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheerfullydrab posted:

You can spin for gravity, you can shield against radiation with water that you can use for fuel, etc. There are solutions to the problems of space travel and it looks like a big one (getting to recover and reuse your goddamn space boosters) is on it's way to being solved within the next 5 to 10 years. There are fucktons of resources out there waiting to be ground up and built into places to live and machines to probe the universe and learn cool poo poo that can help us live better. Space is hard, but it's also the rest of the universe so like what, we're supposed to just stay here until the sun swells up like Shatner's face and envelops the Earth? Fuuuuuuck that

naem
May 29, 2011

I can't wait to be a space ork

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Automatic Slim posted:

Who's more hateable, Keiko or Janeway? Which is to say you have one who kind of ruins a bunch of people's lives or another who destroys one man's life completely.
I like Janeway's nuttyness. She really hosed over the entire crew at several points, but she is convinced she is a woman of science and a polished sterling example of Federation Captaincy. Leave her with a fatal disease on an empty planet and she's a monkey-scouting sexless botanist. Wipe her memory and stick her in front of a power transformer and she's your gal down at the dynamo.

She's utterly malleable and will become The Janeway of any situation. Which will likely get you killed, but in a way thats forgivable.

Keiko on the other hand is just a chore to be around. If she sat down at your table at Quarks she'd knowingly put in the minimum minute and a half of conversation before a big pout comes out and its time to gripe about the time miles wasn't keen on eating a bowl of fricandeau stew or how hard she has it waiting for her next botany excursion to a planet full of starving people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm pretty sure putting Keiko O'Brien in a schoolroom full of innocent children from a variety of species counts as both malicious child abuse and an interplanetary incident.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

I like Janeway's nuttyness. She really hosed over the entire crew at several points, but she is convinced she is a woman of science and a polished sterling example of Federation Captaincy. Leave her with a fatal disease on an empty planet and she's a monkey-scouting sexless botanist. Wipe her memory and stick her in front of a power transformer and she's your gal down at the dynamo.

She's utterly malleable and will become The Janeway of any situation. Which will likely get you killed, but in a way thats forgivable.

Keiko on the other hand is just a chore to be around. If she sat down at your table at Quarks she'd knowingly put in the minimum minute and a half of conversation before a big pout comes out and its time to gripe about the time miles wasn't keen on eating a bowl of fricandeau stew or how hard she has it waiting for her next botany excursion to a planet full of starving people.

Actually even the fatal disease sexless botanist phase doomed the crew.

She never actually told anyone about the Omega Directive, so as soon as the crew ran in to that poo poo the ship would have been completely disabled while everyone was confused about what was happening while all the computers were locked down requiring the captains omega directive authorization.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually even the fatal disease sexless botanist phase doomed the crew.

She never actually told anyone about the Omega Directive, so as soon as the crew ran in to that poo poo the ship would have been completely disabled while everyone was confused about what was happening while all the computers were locked down requiring the captains omega directive authorization.

That's why it so thoughtful of the Omega directive to leave a massive hint of its purpose by containing the subject of the program within the code name itself.

Like how in the 60's the US had Project Send A Photo Reconnaissance Satellite Over Russia and the less successful Operation Recover Yesterday's Crashed Spyplane.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

That's why it so thoughtful of the Omega directive to leave a massive hint of its purpose by containing the subject of the program within the code name itself.

Like how in the 60's the US had Project Send A Photo Reconnaissance Satellite Over Russia and the less successful Operation Recover Yesterday's Crashed Spyplane.

:siren::siren: ATTENTION CREW: LOST NUCLEAR SUB ON RUSSIAN TERRITORY DIRECTIVE IS NOW ACTIVE :siren::siren:

The ship will not respond to any control input until the captain turns his special "Lost Nuclear sub on Russian territory directive" key.

Wait we left the captain on an uncharted island last year? did he give anyone his key?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Voyager should have killed off Janeway in episode one and had a junior office be the most senior person left so s/he had to learn to command and run the ship in the middle of loving nowhere.

quote:

Omega Directive

Once again the thread comes up with more interesting premises than paid writers. Use premise A and mix with premise B and this would make an intense episode withe everyone going wtf?

Marry this with Maquis questioning her decisions and her making bad ones with repercussions and that would be one hell of a show.

quote:

Instead they killed off the first officer i guess big loving deal what does a first officer even do apart from have gangbangs in the holosuite/messhall

Clearly this the morale officer's job not a first officers.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure putting Keiko O'Brien in a schoolroom full of innocent children from a variety of species counts as both malicious child abuse and an interplanetary incident.

Good point. Keiko found a way to destroy multiple lives as well too. I guess there's a reason her career involves plants instead of people.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Tighclops posted:

You can spin for gravity, you can shield against radiation with water that you can use for fuel, etc. There are solutions to the problems of space travel and it looks like a big one (getting to recover and reuse your goddamn space boosters) is on it's way to being solved within the next 5 to 10 years. There are fucktons of resources out there waiting to be ground up and built into places to live and machines to probe the universe and learn cool poo poo that can help us live better. Space is hard, but it's also the rest of the universe so like what, we're supposed to just stay here until the sun swells up like Shatner's face and envelops the Earth? Fuuuuuuck that

People are just plain too undisciplined and short-sighted and we're going to waste all our natural resources on trinkets and then just be stuck here even if we ever do find the willpower.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

cheerfullydrab posted:

So space is exactly like the open ocean was a few thousand years ago?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
This week on Voyager

Tom Paris decides to go AWOL to defend a stupid space ocean for no adequately explainable reason other than he read jules verne novels as a kid and the guys were being a dick to the ocean.

Despite constantly passing hurt / ailing species in all kinds of anguish / torment, dealing with societies that are re-creating the holocaust, nazi aliens, literal nazi aliens Tom Paris decides that this is what he is going to risk his life for. This is what he is going to fire on friendly aliens over. Climate Change.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So I'm finally making my way through some abridged DS9 (using this guide to get just the juicy ones, plus any others who's Netflix description looks interesting: http://www.geek.com/news/star-trek-deep-space-nine-condensed-how-to-watch-the-most-story-driven-trek-1613741/) and I'm laughing at the Season 3 premiere.

"Hey, look at this new ship! Has a poo poo ton of guns! In fact...it has too many guns!" (destroys one single Jem'Hadar ship.)

"And it even cloaks!" (Jem'Hadar can see right through the cloak.)

I know they rebuild it or get another one, but drat, it was a POS in its first outing. A couple runabouts might have been better since then you could have at least had some tactical advantage with multiple vessels.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2016

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Like look there's nothing I want more than for man to explore outer space. I'd happily leave my wife and kids to colonize Mars if I just get to be some small part of it. But we're too busy with what celebrities think and we're wasting all our fuel on military patrols and faster trips to grandmas house. Think about the gun control debate for 20 seconds and then try to tell me with a straight face that this horrible species has the mental discipline to even begin (much less complete) a multi-generational trip to alpha centauri.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Like look there's nothing I want more than for man to explore outer space. I'd happily leave my wife and kids to colonize Mars if I just get to be some small part of it. But we're too busy with what celebrities think and we're wasting all our fuel on military patrols and faster trips to grandmas house. Think about the gun control debate for 20 seconds and then try to tell me with a straight face that this horrible species has the mental discipline to even begin (much less complete) a multi-generational trip to alpha centauri.

welcome to adulthood sweet summer child

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

welcome to adulthood sweet summer child

Yeah no poo poo I'm ashamed it took me this long to really believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The Defiant is my waifu, and you best watch your fool mouth.