Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Former DC United player Marcus Halsti gave a lengthy interview about how DC United is in shambles, how Ben Olsen is incompetent and how the team doesn't have any tactics at all, instead instructing players to basically do their best in the match and hopefully things will work out. Supporters were led to believe this player was injured and unfit but basically we just didn't feel like playing him and he sat around Old Town Alexandria collecting a paycheck until he could escape. This is a pattern we've seen at DC United among foreign signings.

The interview is in Swedish but here are some rough translations:

Interviewer: You wrote to me once that when you got there, you had too many thoughts about the team and that it took too much time to get into it and that the true focus [at DC United] was on the individual [rather than the team]. Can you expand on that a little?

Halsti: That DCU was supposed to be highly tactical - there is no tactics! There is only so that you do the game and you have yourself constantly find things and there is no one to help you.

I'm one of those guys who always wants to help others and is a team player. But where should I just released it and thought that, okay, it's one against one now, and where there may be one on one because I have my own man. For it is my fault if I help someone and then they score or something, there is no one else who will help me. It is not so that the entire combined team moves together. And now think certainly many that coming from zone defense to a team with one on one, but it's not really one on one in the DCU, either, it's ... hard to explain.

I went to the DCU partly because I had talked to the manager who said that " we are a real team , we play mostly as a team throughout the MLS ." They had won the Eastern Conference last year and the coach had been selected as best coach. I thought it will be good there, football continues and that , it's a team that plays and it's a young coach .

Later in the interview

It's my fault, I ought to get over one of those obstacles. It is an obstacle and I should only think: Okay, so is it, what do we do now? I should just poo poo in it. And I thought that I got into it at the end of 2015, came into how we would play. As a footballer, you can just focus on the game and to do your best on the pitch and not think too much about what happens on the tactics and team meetings and such. But maybe I was thinking a little too much, and just that there was absolutely no tactics behind something.

Seeing coach Ben Olsen say in the media a week ago, something like that for him there is no point in having a tactic it happens so different stuff all the time on the plane and there are players who have to decide.

And according to me, it was just that, it was the players who won the game, there was no tactic we had. We won the game, it was the players who fixed it with your own performance or keeper, who actually in the DCU is really good, saved us. We won the game, so it was not really the team that won, it was just personal stuff. It happens the course in Europe too but there are still teams that make up that any individual can do such things.

Later Halsti discusses how Steven Goff, reporter for the Washington Post isn't at practices or meetings but still writes articles as if he is

He says he believes that's because MLS is afraid it will come out negative things when the league admittedly is becoming larger and larger, but still much smaller than the other American leagues, you want to maintain a positive image in the media and hide things that are negative. We're talking about that it is easier to do that, especially in a club DC United, where virtually all practice sessions are closed so neither journalists or supporting control have a greater insight into what is happening. As I wrote earlier for example, [the club sent out false information about injuries].

In DCU we had a journalist from the Washington Post that, then he writes well, but he was sitting inside the stadium, I've never seen him in training and then he writes about our trainings. So it is clear that as players wondered in the beginning that he should know everything that happens in the DCU, but he is not even on the pitch. He was pretty good friends with the coach too so it's clear, it makes it a little easier to go out with the things, or you can hide things if you want.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hello Towel posted:

To add to that: three possible ownership groups for the Fire.

That article has a lot of great information in it, including specifics of just how huge of an albatross Toyota Park is for the Fire at this point.

Maybe they should gave paid for their own stadium instead of having the taxpayer do it

African AIDS cum fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 12, 2016

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Halsti confirms what we all knew.

That Olsen is a Coach of the Year winner in this league is a damning indictment.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Holy poo poo that Halsti interview. That's amazing. I don't know that I've seen too many ex-player interviews more damning. I think we DC fan goons should organize to overthrow Goff, then Olsen, then RFK.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Holy poo poo that Halsti interview. That's amazing. I don't know that I've seen too many ex-player interviews more damning. I think we DC fan goons should organize to overthrow Goff, then Olsen, then RFK.

I feel bad for the guy, then remember all it takes is watching one DCU game and you can tell there are no tactics and that Ben Olsen is a fraud.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MLS has this tendency to demand that new players on the team individually do a lot, when most clubs from other leagues out there expect some form of team integration foremost from any new player. So we get Nyarko and DC fans are exclusively talking about how "2-3 times a game he can get by a defender and break for the box." I mean, ok, beyond those 2-3 moments, what else does he do? Everyone is expected to be Giovinco or else they are lazy and bad.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

joshtothemaxx posted:

Just leave the raccoons alone, please.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Halsti confirms what we all knew.

That Olsen is a Coach of the Year winner in this league is a damning indictment.

It's kind of like LeBron not winning the MVP every year in the NBA. We all know Il Bruce is the the Coach of the Year, every year, but we have to spread it around otherwise the coaches get jealous.

In all seriousness, abbey okulaja was Referee of the Year and then banned for being poo poo the next. This is not a new thing with MLS.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

foobardog posted:

Just leave the raccoons alone, please.

The raccoons all retired. Concussions, you see

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The raccoons all retired. Concussions, you see

Well, at least they do better at color commentary than most in MLS.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

foobardog posted:

Well, at least they do better at color commentary than most in MLS.

That's because they can taste the colors.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
BACKPASS THE RAINBOW

taste the rainbow

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Azerban posted:

houston is poo poo

this is our year

hmm

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
will the krafts ever sell the Revolution to someone who gives a poo poo or are we doomed to become a dumpster until we get dissolved Chivas style

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
TFC should just decline the man advantage whenever they get it. They don't seem to have any ideas on how to attack when a man (or two) up. Also, I don't think Altidore is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Yea he's a bit lazy and sluggish and injury prone but he's definitely got some skill. He was the most dangerous player against Houston and could've netted three goals.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

DuhSal posted:

TFC should just decline the man advantage whenever they get it. They don't seem to have any ideas on how to attack when a man (or two) up. Also, I don't think Altidore is as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Yea he's a bit lazy and sluggish and injury prone but he's definitely got some skill. He was the most dangerous player against Houston and could've netted three goals.

have you actually considered that jozy is

and stay with me here b/c this is game changing stuff

loving garbage?

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 16, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

DuhSal posted:

lol i miss the jozy thread where is this from?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I get the hate but I just don't think he's that bad.

Edit: I could be crazy and the only one.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

still accurate imo

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

As someone who actually watches Jozy game in game out against my will I can assure you he's still garbage

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Counterpoint: Jozy is great so long as he doesn't have to run.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Counterpoint: Jozy is great so long as he doesn't have to run.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but that's really my only point. He's really lazy but he has ability. He can score, has a hard shot, can make nice passes, creates space for Giovinco and when he wants to can be a handful for defenders. I understand people get frustrated with him because he stands around and poo poo but I just don't think that makes him completely useless on the field. He can be a threat in the right spot. But it's fair if you hate him too.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

jozy is a capable mls-level striker

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Azerban posted:

jozy is a capable mls-level striker

Well yea. No way he'd make it in an actual good league.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like Jozy when he comes on in the 60' and scores a goal.

I don't like Jozy in the starting 11. But that doesn't happen much anymore.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DuhSal posted:

creates space for Giovinco

To be fair he needs verylittlespace

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Jozy being a competent MLS level striker still is a massive failure, when you factor his salary and DP designation.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

trem_two posted:

when you factor his salary and DP designation.

That's a fair point.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

DuhSal posted:

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but that's really my only point. He's really lazy but he has ability. He can score, has a hard shot, can make nice passes, creates space for Giovinco and when he wants to can be a handful for defenders. I understand people get frustrated with him because he stands around and poo poo but I just don't think that makes him completely useless on the field. He can be a threat in the right spot. But it's fair if you hate him too.

He has 3 goals this season

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

African AIDS cum posted:

He has 3 goals this season

Has played just over half the season. Looking at the stats, I think he's been in 13 and started 7? Last year he had 13 goals which isn't awful. I'm not saying he's really good, just don't think he's completely terrible either.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 17, 2016

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DuhSal posted:

Has played just over half the season. Looking at the stats, I think he's been in 13 and started 7? Last year he had 13 goals which isn't awful. I'm not saying he's really good, just don't think he's completely terrible either.

This is not the hill you want to die on, friend.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Gigi Galli posted:

This is not the hill you want to die on, friend.

I'm noticing lol. Wasn't going to include the altidore part in my initial post and then did it anyway much to my regret.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Jozy died at Hamburger Hill

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

trem_two posted:

Jozy being a competent MLS level striker still is a massive failure, when you factor his salary and DP designation.

This, he's a millionaire

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

threeagainstfour posted:

Jozy died at Hamburger Hill

Wait when did Jozy play for Hamburger SV?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
In the not-exactly-breaking-news department, Minnesota United FC will start play next year at TCF Bank Stadium and will be keeping their name.

Eagerly awaiting the league to schedule 2 straight months of "United vs. United" matches between MN, DC and ATL*.

"United" is a terrible loving name for Atlanta

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

whypick1 posted:

In the not-exactly-breaking-news department, Minnesota United FC will start play next year at TCF Bank Stadium and will be keeping their name.

Eagerly awaiting the league to schedule 2 straight months of "United vs. United" matches between MN, DC and ATL*.

"United" is a terrible loving name for Atlanta

Yay! I'm glad that they'll keep their name.

In Super MLS 2 Turbo HD Remix, all teams will have an Euro sugar daddy with a prerequisite Europoser name.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Can't wait for Minnesota United FC to play Atlanta United FC in the I don't care please leave the league derby

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think New York Red Bulls will actually be in the top half of good team names next year, that's the state we're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Seltzer posted:

Can't wait for Minnesota United FC to play Atlanta United FC in the I don't care please leave the league derby

To be fair Minnesota had it first, Atlanta had an opportunity to do something unique with a completely new brand and they still went with United

• Locked thread