Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

And I thought I was a bad poster

e: best snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

oh wait sorry the ALP are torture apologists as well woooooops

Was I wrong though?

I'll post something about whatever the issue that's being discussed, Medicare, taxation, greyhounds.. whatever.

A few posts later "somethingsomething torture! ALP SCUM!".

Every.

Single.

Time.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

EvilElmo posted:

Took 3 posts.

I'm not sure how it's unfair. Both systems have their benefits, both systems will have "losers". In this result, it will get rid of 3 racists, a bigot and two nuts. The Greens should rejoice. You'll get rid of Rhiannon early and pick up another Senator.

Senate Reforms are the reason we got 2/4 racists in the Senate. I said they were poo poo, they are poo poo. I'm not sure how many times I need to keep posting this. One day you might all admit the Senate reforms were rushed, poo poo policy and not well thought through. But I guess you all still defend voting down the ETS..

lmao yep this is the only reason why we got the One Nation people

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
there_are_posts_in_the_d&d_thread_something_interesting_must_have_happened_oh_wait_never_mind.jpg

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Was I wrong though?

I'll post something about whatever the issue that's being discussed, Medicare, taxation, greyhounds.. whatever.

Every.

Single.

Time.

How do you feel about the current situation regarding the torture of refugees? Do you think the ALP is doing enough regarding this issue?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Recoome posted:

How do you feel about the current situation regarding the torture of refugees? Do you think the ALP is doing enough regarding this issue?

They're doing too much on this issue, that's the problem.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
A man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that dock out there? Built it myself, hand crafted each piece, and it's the best dock in town! But do they call me 'McGregor the dock builder'? No!"

"And you see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain and sleet but do they call me 'McGregor the bridge builder'? No!"

"And you see that pier over there, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me 'McGregor the pier builder'? No!"

The old guy looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

"but you gently caress one sheep..."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

I'm not sure how it's unfair. Both systems have their benefits, both systems will have "losers". In this result, it will get rid of 3 racists, a bigot and two nuts. The Greens should rejoice. You'll get rid of Rhiannon early and pick up another Senator.
Antony Green's got an article on it.

quote:

Senate Reforms are the reason we got 2/4 racists in the Senate. I said they were poo poo, they are poo poo. I'm not sure how many times I need to keep posting this. One day you might all admit the Senate reforms were rushed, poo poo policy and not well thought through.
I know you said they were poo poo before the election, but given we've actually got the results it's an opportunity to look at the specific effects. For example, Singh's election in Tasmania probably wouldn't have happened without BtL voting being made significantly easier. Did too many votes exhaust? Was there an unacceptable increase in informal votes? If you want to complain about the system you've got actual information.

I think there are more racists in the Senate than that too.

quote:

But I guess you all still defend voting down the ETS..
I don't.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

lmao yep this is the only reason why we got the One Nation people

Like, no it really is.

We got 2 from the DD because of the smaller quota. Then another 2 from the Senate reforms.

It would appear you want all 4 of the One Nation Senators to run out the full 6 years though.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Solemn Sloth posted:

A man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that dock out there? Built it myself, hand crafted each piece, and it's the best dock in town! But do they call me 'McGregor the dock builder'? No!"

"And you see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain and sleet but do they call me 'McGregor the bridge builder'? No!"

"And you see that pier over there, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me 'McGregor the pier builder'? No!"

The old guy looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

Wow you can't say that, there are New Zealanders in this thread

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Like, no it really is.

We got 2 from the DD because of the smaller quota. Then another 2 from the Senate reforms.
ONP got 600k first preferences in the Senate nation-wide, for about 5% of the vote. The system is accurately representing that a lot of Australians are massive loving racists.

quote:

It would appear you want all 4 of the One Nation Senators to run out the full 6 years though.
The second ONP senator in Queensland got the 11th spot, the second one in NSW got the 12th spot, and the first in WA got 11th. They're not going to get 6 year terms under either order-of-election or a recount.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Antony Green's got an article on it.

I know you said they were poo poo before the election, but given we've actually got the results it's an opportunity to look at the specific effects. For example, Singh's election in Tasmania probably wouldn't have happened without BtL voting being made significantly easier. Did too many votes exhaust? Was there an unacceptable increase in informal votes? If you want to complain about the system you've got actual information.

I think there are more racists in the Senate than that too.

I don't.

Interesting article, will read on a not-Friday night. But there will be winners and losers, would I be on board if it wasn't going to result with 3 One Nation Senators staying full term? Maybe. Then it would be whatever. Slightly different changes that would probably be reversed in the election outcome anyway. But to get rid of 3 One Nation, Day, Leyonhjelm and Hinch? gently caress what's apparently fair, they can all go. Hinch might get back up, Leyonhjelm and Day probably won't. At best 1 One Nation, if they don't meltdown in the next 2-3 years.

I haven't gone through the numbers, it will require a fair bit of digging and frankly, I don't care enough. Antony Green might do an article on it which would be great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

Interesting article, will read on a not-Friday night. But there will be winners and losers, would I be on board if it wasn't going to result with 3 One Nation Senators staying full term? Maybe.
(In case you missed my previous post, given the parallel responses) Aside from Hanson the ONP Senators got 11th (WA), 11th (NSW) and 12th (Queensland), so I think it's unlikely they'd get full terms unless you literally pull them out of the hat.

E: If you want more reading, The Conversation had a piece on how many votes exhausted and a breakdown of some examples.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

there are New Zealanders in this thread

He better post a few more then

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is not-a-Green still posting? :jerkbag:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
EE a few months ago im pretty sure you were saying that the Senate reforms would kill minor parties now you're saying its responsible for the election of minor parties while ignoring the results of the DD. Are you OK m8?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I too unironically blame The Greens™ at every opportunity for everything ever

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Recoome posted:

I too blame The ALP™ at every opportunity for everything ever

Fixed.

Big Willy Style posted:

EE a few months ago im pretty sure you were saying that the Senate reforms would kill minor parties now you're saying its responsible for the election of minor parties while ignoring the results of the DD. Are you OK m8?

Correct, I and many other people commented that this would be the death of minor parties. The Greens had effectively pulled up the ladder behind them. As it turns out, it's had the opposite effect. The Green vote flatlined and hasn't gained any ground in the Senate (losing a senator in the process). People have instead decided to put their vote towards fringe parties where before they would have voted #1 for a major and we would have got a balanced, normal, workable Senate. This Senate will be difficult for anyone to work through and legislation does need to be passed, but at what cost? Do we want a budget through in return for a Senate inquiry into Islam?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

(In case you missed my previous post, given the parallel responses) Aside from Hanson the ONP Senators got 11th (WA), 11th (NSW) and 12th (Queensland), so I think it's unlikely they'd get full terms unless you literally pull them out of the hat.

E: If you want more reading, The Conversation had a piece on how many votes exhausted and a breakdown of some examples.

Then I go back to what I said. I don't really care about the differences between the two methods. The changes are so minor. Hinch out/Liberal in. Green out/Labor in. That could happen at an election anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Democracy is good unless it does something I don't like.

Maybe there would be less support for racist minor parties if both majors hadn't supported their racist policies for the last two decades?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Democracy is good unless it does something I don't like.

Maybe there would be less support for racist minor parties if both majors hadn't supported their racist policies for the last two decades?

careful that you aren't attributing blame there friend

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

EvilElmo posted:

Was I wrong though?

Every.

Single.

Time.

That's because it's difficult to move past supporting the offshore detention of refugees, an approach that has led to the abuse of children, regardless of what your other policies are.

Take the Greens you get annoyed about so much. I agree with most of their policies, it's why I'm a member, but if one day RDN turned around at National Conference and said "oh hey child abuse is fine let's fund it", I'd quit in a heartbeat.

There are just some issues you can't, and it's morally unconscionable to, move past.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Endman posted:

That's because it's difficult to move past supporting the offshore detention of refugees, an approach that has led to the abuse of children, regardless of what your other policies are.

Take the Greens you get annoyed about so much. I agree with most of their policies, it's why I'm a member, but if one day RDN turned around at National Conference and said "oh hey child abuse is fine let's fund it", I'd quit in a heartbeat.

There are just some issues you can't, and it's morally unconscionable to, move past.

This, exactly.

Then again, you need a moral compass in the first place before you can get a bearing on any morality.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
But we need to ignore it so that we can win elections, think of all the Australians being harmed by Liberal policy!

*Fails to win an election anyway*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm surprised we didn't send EvilElmo to Rio because he puts in a gold medal performance in mental gymnastics

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EvilElmo posted:

Correct, I and many other people commented that this would be the death of minor parties. The Greens had effectively pulled up the ladder behind them. As it turns out, it's had the opposite effect. The Green vote flatlined and hasn't gained any ground in the Senate (losing a senator in the process). People have instead decided to put their vote towards fringe parties where before they would have voted #1 for a major and we would have got a balanced, normal, workable Senate. This Senate will be difficult for anyone to work through and legislation does need to be passed, but at what cost? Do we want a budget through in return for a Senate inquiry into Islam?
Can I live in this Australia? It has to be better than the real one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Six years of Pauline Hanson. Have fun fuckers.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBTcOIPwuw

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you are insanely loving stupid. like wow. the scale of your idiocy is unfathomable.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i for one am a sensible adult with sensible opinions and a realistic view of the world

vote 1 torture party

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i support the torture of children because the australian people voted for it

i do not support my party losing seats to another party the australian people voted for

these beliefs are compatible and good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hi friendlyjordies when is your next video coming out?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Big Willy Style posted:

It's almost like Sussex Street's (and by extension EvilElmo's) reactionary meltdown over the reforms has at no point been based in fact or reason, fancy that.

By the standard of "it's what Australian voters want, that's why we need to adopt it as policy" the ALP should clearly begin a rapid pivot towards One Nation.

I'm pretty happy with the result in my electorate - I pushed hard left and let my Labor opponent take a far more left wing stance than he would have been able to justify otherwise. Most left-wing member of the new Labor caucus, and he won on primaries alone after a 14% swing that didn't eat any of the Greens vote in a Western Sydney electorate - after calling Manus and Nauru "concentration camps" in the national media.

But clearly people just want racists and child torturers, right?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

UPF Facebook Page posted:

***Rampant Islamic terrorism in the last month throughout Europe, hundreds of deaths, including pregnant women and children - Media: "It's not that bad, more refugees. we'll be right."
***Australian man raided and arrested for having suspicious documents - Media: "Right-wing terror threat! Attack imminent! Beware the far-right extremists!"
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who owns the media and what their goal is.
it's the Jews, right? :ohdear:

Ultranationalists planning on counter-protesting this demonstration against Pauline Hanson in Perth today

From the Ultranationalist page

quote:

A shout out to all patriotic Australians to stand together united against the traitorous unwashed scumbag leftards.
They have decided to call us out for a second round, so let’s face off again.
Once again these moronic pimples on society are rallying against our democratically elected senator Hanson.
TBC WA would like to see all proud West Aussies turn out for this event without exception.

From the United Against Bigotry and Racism event

quote:

After our first anti-Hanson speakout, join United Against Bigotry and Racism for round two! Let's take to the streets to say no Pauline Hanson's vile racism, say no to the United Patriots Front, the True Blue Crew and Reclaim Australia, and stand in solidarity with the Muslim community.

Basically this is a pretty dangerous position to be in for the people attending the UABR event, the Perth Ultranationalists (UPF/TBC) have been quite violent in he past, and are able to draw a crowd still (in contrast to the UPF/TBC in other parts of the country). I'd still go if this was in my area and this could just be a wet fart (the Facebook numbers are almost at parity), conversely, people might get hurt today.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 12, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But we need to ignore it so that we can win elections, think of all the Australians being harmed by Liberal policy!

*Fails to win an election anyway*

Greens policy on this issue is so successful, they lost ground at this election.

Oh.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bonham has a good piece about the short and long Senate terms.

The practical effects:

quote:

The Electoral Act requires the AEC to conduct a "Section 282 recount" to simulate which Senators would have filled the first six places at a half-Senate election based on the same votes, as an alternative to using the order-of-election method. However there is no requirement that the Senate use the recount to decide the order. While the Senate affirmed in both 1998 and 2010 that the recount should be used, those decisions were not binding on the current Senate, and were [not binding] under the old system anyway.

It happens that both major parties benefit from the agreement. Senators Lee Rhiannon (Greens NSW) and Derryn Hinch (Vic) are both given three year terms while Scott Ryan (Liberal, Victoria) and Deborah O'Neill (Labor, NSW) will not have to look for work again until at least 2022 (unless there is another double dissolution). This difference had previously been found by Grahame Bowland and the AEC has advised the Clerk of the Senate that Rhiannon and Hinch would get six-year terms if the Section 282 recount was the deciding factor.

Some examples

quote:

I'll use Rhiannon's case as an example. Her primary vote was 0.947 quotas (including 1 Greens ticket votes). Because she was short of a quota on primary votes, she had to wait until the cascading surpluses at the start of the count elected eight major party candidates. But had she polled a quota in her own right (just another 0.41% of the primary vote) she would have been elected third and won a six-year term.

On the other side of that coin, Jacqui Lambie polled a primary vote of 1.068 quotas in her own right (including ticket votes). This meant Lambie was elected fourth by the order-of-election method, and therefore gets a six-year term. Yet the massive surpluses of the Tasmanian major party ticket leaders Abetz and Urquhart actually meant that seven Senators who won either on primaries or on cascading surpluses had more "support" than Lambie did. Thus, as a sign of her support relative to these major party candidates, one might say that her having polled a DD quota on primaries was far from conclusive.
The order of election system is also absurdly granular. In Tasmania the two major parties have about the same vote (Labor 33.6 Liberal 32.5) and get two six-year terms apiece. But this would also happen if the figures were Labor 46 Liberal 20, or the other way around.

:siren: Paging EvilElmo :siren:

quote:

There are issues, however, and a lot of them are created by the unexpected interface between the new Senate system and Section 282, which was written under a different system. Because the government left the implementation of Senate reform very late in its previous term (whether to avoid provoking the non-Green crossbench, in the hope of bipartisan support or simply because it was distracted by leadership fighting) a number of finer details were glossed over for the first run of the new system. The matter of the fairest term-allocation system, which had long been on the back-burner anyway, was one that was so obscure that it wasn't even on most psephologists' shopping lists for things to fix for the new system.

quote:

That's not to say S 282 is less fair than the order-of-election system. I think it's still fairer - just that it's hardly brilliant and it is worth a serious think about whether there could be a better approach than either for the new voting system.

There are also many ambiguities in applying S 282 to the new system. Some of these existed in the old system as well (The AEC recommended fixing them in 2011 but it never happened).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There's no way this story is the only one of fraud in child care.

quote:

The AFP this week raided the Lakemba family day care businesses of brothers Mohammad and Ibrahim Omar, aged 27 and 25, over more than $27 million in Commonwealth childcare benefits and rebates claimed since 2012 by the nearly 600 home providers of family day care on their books.

27 MILLION and no one noticed till now? The Turnball Government is funding terrorism. Well done Malcolm. Well done.

If they got away with it till now, there's no way he's the only under-employed roofer in on that kind of scam.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's there an article someone can point me too that discusses why each state has 12 senators and what the pro and con arguments are? It's not an intuitive way for the system to be set up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

starkebn posted:

It's there an article someone can point me too that discusses why each state has 12 senators and what the pro and con arguments are? It's not an intuitive way for the system to be set up.

My understanding is that it was set up that way so that states with a lower population (e.g Tasmania) have equal representation and (hopefully) don't get ignored because they don't have enough MPs in the reps to influence a vote.

So in effect you have two filters for policy, the first is to satisfy the majority of the peoples' representatives and the second is to satisfy the majority of the states' senators. It is probably obsolete in the era of two party politics and senators being more loyal to their party than their state, but I guess the original intention was pretty good.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

EvilElmo posted:

Greens policy on this issue is so successful, they lost ground at this election.

Oh.
Oh no, policy that isn't raping children in offshore hellholes isn't popular with the electorate, we should abandon it in favour of more child raping because that's where the votes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Parliament House website has a decent discussion of its history.
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/Senate_Briefs/Brief09

• Locked thread