Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Interestingly there were two explosions in the Philippines today as well

Didn't hear anything about that-- are you sure? Do you know where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CronoGamer posted:

Didn't hear anything about that-- are you sure? Do you know where?

One was at a jail and 10 people died, the other was outside Manila and no one died

The jail blast at least was probably just some hosed up Philippines jail poo poo though

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/08/11/world/asia/ap-as-philippines-jail-blast.html?ref=world

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Striking terror into the hearts of chip eaters everywhere

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean it's clear these attacks aren't meant to kill lots of people. They are your standard "low impact but still affects tourism" maneuvers that doesn't bring down the full wrath of the police and military

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

Hitting resort towns like this is not the usual MO of the separatists, right? So either we have a shift in tactics or new actors on the scene? :(
This is your area, but, yeah. This isn't regular Southern Insurgent stuff. They got blamed for the WTC (now Central World) New Year's Eve bombing when I was first here, but I don't buy it.

Trang was first, I believe, wasn't it? My wife's family is from there, we got info about it first, including graphic photos direct from relatives, so that's legit.

Either way, they hit the Hell out of the royal city of Hua Hin and then smattered around. Referendum didn't do so well, Royal City, this could go any direction.

On the flip side, Thailand is like France in the 1960s and 1970s before the omerta got violated. It's always been an agreed upon safe haven for everyone. Some of these modern radicalized young people might not respect the unwritten rules.

It would be folly to say either way at this point, but as you're more aware than I am there's a shitload of false flag history here FALSE FLAG 1776 in Thailand. It's never Putin style, always low level and enough to make the news.

The Phuket one was in a police box, though, and the police are traditionally red aligned and targeted to send a message that direction (not in Phuket, usually, but nationally).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Im in Hong Kong on a layover hopefully getting to Singapore tomorrow and then into Malaysia to start a good long trip in SE Asia. Whats the best way to travel from Malaysia to Thailand? I imagine the land border is not a great idea especially after today.

Also what are the best beach towns/islands to head to from Singapore? I havent been to a real beach in years and my immediate goal is to sit on one for four or five days doing nothing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Im in Hong Kong on a layover hopefully getting to Singapore tomorrow and then into Malaysia to start a good long trip in SE Asia. Whats the best way to travel from Malaysia to Thailand? I imagine the land border is not a great idea especially after today.

Also what are the best beach towns/islands to head to from Singapore? I havent been to a real beach in years and my immediate goal is to sit on one for four or five days doing nothing.

Take a flight. It's cheap and fast.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

Take a flight. It's cheap and fast.
Yeah, unless you want to do overland for sentimental reasons, fly. The fares are so cheap that Thai bus companies have started lodging complaints with the government, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, unless you want to do overland for sentimental reasons, fly. The fares are so cheap that Thai bus companies have started lodging complaints with the government, heh.

Whatever you do, never take that bus (from KL/Singapore up to Hat Yai normally) gently caress terrorism, bombs, any of that poo poo - those buses are the true danger.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

Whatever you do, never take that bus (from KL/Singapore up to Hat Yai normally) gently caress terrorism, bombs, any of that poo poo - those buses are the true danger.
:lol:

Yes. Also, avoid night buses in general.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

AirAsia is your friend. Your flight will probably 30-120 minutes late, and if you want anything beyond a seatbelt it costs extra, but it's only short flights in this part of the world so who cares (though I'm Australian and my definition of "short flight" probably differs from most).

When you say heading to the beach from Singapore, how far afield were you thinking? There's a couple of crappy beaches in Singapore with excellent views of passing oil tankers, and honestly not much else. For beaches I'd recommend Langkawi in Malaysia or the Thai islands. The eastern islands (Samui, Pha Ngan, Tao) are better this time of year; westward in Phuket it's the monsoon season.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

flight.

and you should come out and say hi in hk

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

flight.

and you should come out and say hi in hk

Caberman is a pro-goon goon. I even bumped into him and his wonderful significant other today by accident, he was still chatty and gave me time

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
so I've been in Jogja for a week now and am wondering, how difficult would it be to ride a scooter if I've never done that before? getting around here is feeling like a real pain without one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of them don't even have a clutch, you either just kick through the gears or they're automatic. Probably 9/10 of the scooters on offer to you as a foreigner will be automatics. You turn a key, twist the right handle bar for throttle, and drive around like a goof.

By "kick through the gears" I mean on some bikes there's a rocker switch positioned near your foot peg that usually looks like this on scooters (in red):

On the front of your bike there will be a display of what gear you are on. Stepping on the thing moves the gears up or down, you can figure out which way is which through trial and error / the display. You can manipulate the rocker however you like -- step down with your toe, step down with your heel, hook your toe under the front protuberance and lift it up (to equal stepping down with your heel).

Most scooters have electric starters too so you just turn a key, there's probably not going to be any stomping on a start lever like you see in movies with motorcycles.

Anyway figuring one out and driving it are very easy. Not crashing is much less easy.

There are other tutorials online.

http://www.oneweirdglobe.com/absolute-beginners-guide-renting-driving-returning-scooter-asia/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE3_XjzOl_A

raton fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 13, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ah dang, im already at the airport. Maybe when i head back through HK, most likely have to head through here again as I fly standby on united and HKG and singapore are the only ways down here.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

webmeister posted:

When you say heading to the beach from Singapore, how far afield were you thinking? There's a couple of crappy beaches in Singapore with excellent views of passing oil tankers, and honestly not much else. For beaches I'd recommend Langkawi in Malaysia or the Thai islands. The eastern islands (Samui, Pha Ngan, Tao) are better this time of year; westward in Phuket it's the monsoon season.

I was hoping for something i could take a bus/ferry to in eight hours at most, preferably less. How is tioman island? Mostly going to be staying in hostels and guesthouses

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The learning curve for step-through scooters is very easy, and to my mind they're a fair bit safer than fully automatic ones, especially for new riders. You can't stall them or anything like that, and you have more control than just squeezing the brakes when you want to slow down. Just wear a helmet, stay aware, and drive with confidence. Take an hour or two to get used to the bike before you drive it on busier roads. Please don't be that tourist who drives at 10 fuckin mph while wobbling all over the place because they rented a bike having never ridden one before, and then immediately took it out onto a main road.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 13, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I feel compelled to point out as well that since - I think - you're Australian, unless you have a motorbike license in AU your travel insurance provider will refuse to pay any liabilities, bills etc if you crash a scooter.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, the insurance thing sort of sucks for me. In 8 weeks I should be able to get a local license, which might help for some insurance companies (but maybe not, and definitely not with the corporate travel insurance i already have). All the other students here are riding scooters and motorbikes without appropriate licenses as well, but just because nobody's been injured yet doesn't mean nobody will be injured! I tried riding one tonight, mostly stuck to back streets and it was fine, but I'm thinking I might just stick to a bicycle in future. It's just poo poo because all of the volunteering I want to do is a bit far.. I guess I could figure out the bus system or something

Centusin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 13, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scylo posted:

Yeah, the insurance thing sort of sucks for me. In 8 weeks I should be able to get a local license, which might help for some insurance companies (but maybe not, and definitely not with the corporate travel insurance i already have). All the other students here are riding scooters and motorbikes without appropriate licenses as well, but just because nobody's been injured yet doesn't mean nobody will be injured! I tried riding one tonight, mostly stuck to back streets and it was fine, but I'm thinking I might just stick to a bicycle in future. It's just poo poo because all of the volunteering I want to do is a bit far.. I guess I could figure out the bus system or something

Sometimes, it's OK to break the rules, especially in Southeast Asia. Ride the motorbike

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hell yeah, try a motorbike over there. I tried one for the first time in Philippines out in the province, and I got addicted. It was a semi-automatic Honda XRM 125, which has the mentioned semi-automatic gear, where you just stomp the lever to change gears, no clutch handle, and no stalling. It was very easy to learn, even through the roads near the rental place looked like they had been hit by bombs. I had so much fun zipping up and down twisty, hilly roads away from the city.

No insurance, no driver's license, no ID (my girlfriend just showed her work ID), no helmet, no speed cameras, and it cost the equivalent of about $7 per day. Can't wait to go back and vroom vroom again.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

Hell yeah, try a motorbike over there. I tried one for the first time in Philippines out in the province, and I got addicted. It was a semi-automatic Honda XRM 125, which has the mentioned semi-automatic gear, where you just stomp the lever to change gears, no clutch handle, and no stalling. It was very easy to learn, even through the roads near the rental place looked like they had been hit by bombs. I had so much fun zipping up and down twisty, hilly roads away from the city.

No insurance, no driver's license, no ID (my girlfriend just showed her work ID), no helmet, no speed cameras, and it cost the equivalent of about $7 per day. Can't wait to go back and vroom vroom again.

I rented a lot of bikes near the end of my time in Thailand. Once you break the barrier it's hard to see a reason not to. The rental places would sometimes ask for your passport but I'd give them a copy of my passport and if that wasn't enough 1000B deposit. Always got it back.

Also if you're going to be driving your scooter in any area with hills and are not Asian sized the 125cc is a lot better than a 100cc.

Here's a picture of me on a 125cc Honda Whatever halfway up a dirt road I decided to check out somewhere in Mae Hong Son. Some Thai people came by in a truck and stopped because my bike had overheated so I had them take a picture after I splashed the engine down with some of my water.

Forgot I even owned sandals like that, wonder why I had them on. I almost always wore shoes at that point in Thailand.

This was about a decade ago I think now, which explains the cargo pockets. It's likely my cell phone is in one of them -- it was the first cell phone I'd ever owned. I used to slide the battery cover halfway off with my fingers when I was getting it out to get a girls number and would tell them it was a slide phone which was a new cool thing at that time.

Riding a bike in the hills of MHS gives you a few glimpses at how you die on them that you don't get driving on flatland with drivers that respect lane markings like people do in most of the US.

Also remarkable is that the Thai person taking the photo didn't automatically crop out my foot. 95% of the pictures I see where Thai people are photographing other people are shins up.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 13, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't ride a bike if you don't know how. Didn't a goon here die from an accident? And motorcycle accident related death/injury is a big problem in south east Asia.

I'm against riding overseas unlicensed. Just get an international driver's permit. It's not hard. And if you don't know how to ride a motorbike at home then absolutely don't ride one overseas unless you are signing up for lessons and doing things the legitimate way. Then again, you might as well how to learn to ride one at home.

I never liked the "it's ok I'm overseas" mentality one bit. It's like Singaporeans littering once they cross into Malaysia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's riskier to learn in Thailand than it is at home unless you're the kind of person that turns into a retarded wild ape the minute you leave the city you work in. In China it'd be worse and Thailand has its own risks but at least most of the drivers will see you on a scooter and know how to drive around someone that's new whereas in the US you're just going to get suburban moms pulling their Yukon in front of you on left turns and pushing you to the shoulder on lane changes all day every day.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 14, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also the legal issue.

You don't want tourists to drive unlicensed in your home, why would you do it overseas? Because it's loving cheap and you might get away with things by bribery?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

You don't want tourists to drive unlicensed in your home, why would you do it overseas? Because it's loving cheap and you might get away with things by bribery?

Because I'm driving a scooter not a truck.

I don't give two shits if some illegal is ripping around town on a scooter uninsured. Worst he can do is dent the door on my car and if you can't cover a repair on a car door you shouldn't own the car to begin with.

I've been asked to drive people's cars a few times in Thailand and (depending on the situation) I generally have asked if they have insurance or not. They often don't, and in that case I won't drive their car. A scooter though I'll drive. It's fine.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 14, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

caberham posted:

Don't ride a bike if you don't know how.

agreed. I've been on a bike for 30 years or so and it still terrifies me here. I guess tho if you're in the jungle and on dirt roads with no one to kill but your self, go for it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was more railing on motorcycles but scooters can be quite dangerous as well. It's no bicycle.

And when you hit someone uninsured?

The it's ok to sometimes break the rules in south east Asia just makes you a giant douche. Like every other annoying group of tourists.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

agreed. I've been on a bike for 30 years or so and it still terrifies me here. I guess tho if you're in the jungle and on dirt roads with no one to kill but your self, go for it.

If you're commuting on your bike in big city like Bangkok or putting in a lot of hours ripping around mountain roads in SEA it's just a matter of time. On some island or in a town where you're just puttering around at 25mph 95% of the time is a different situation.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

I was more railing on motorcycles but scooters can be quite dangerous as well. It's no bicycle.

And when you hit someone uninsured?

The it's ok to sometimes break the rules in south east Asia just makes you a giant douche. Like every other annoying group of tourists.

There's a line somewhere where it gets to motorcycle where you really should be legal and insured. I definitely don't want to see some uninsured Czech tourist doing 105 on one of those 1000cc BMW road bikes down the interstate. A Malaysian exchange student can go around town on a 125cc bipper all he wants, uninsured and unlicensed or not, so far as I care. It's not a bicycle but it's pretty close.

If I rearend someone on my scooter uninsured I guess I'll have to go to the ATM to pay to have the dent pulled out of their bumper. If I do it while I'm carrying a buddle of swords and grenades over my head and they fly into a school bus maybe I'll have regretted what I've done.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 14, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The emails I get from ThaiVisa are usually good for at least one hilarious trainwreck thread per day, but today's is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJXR5iMYuc

Apparently this dude is building a house on his ex-wife's father's land, and as you can see from the video, the father loving hates him. Like, hates him enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see another story about a 'mysterious farang suicide' within the next couple of months. How the gently caress do people get themselves into these situations?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bardeh posted:

The emails I get from ThaiVisa are usually good for at least one hilarious trainwreck thread per day, but today's is amazing.

Apparently this dude is building a house on his ex-wife's father's land, and as you can see from the video, the father loving hates him. Like, hates him enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see another story about a 'mysterious farang suicide' within the next couple of months. How the gently caress do people get themselves into these situations?

This whole thing confuses me. Whose land is it? Who is the house for? How would you build a house on your ex's family's land without permission, and if he had permission why would they have given it to him? If he didn't have permission, how could he think he's in the right? If you don't get on with your in - laws, why would you want to be their neighbours?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

caberham posted:

Well, first of all you don't need a driver's license to drive a scooter or small motorbike in many countries, and second, I'm fairly sure most countries recognize a European driver's license, and probably also American, for driving up to a certain amount of days, if you don't want to get an international driver's license.

But I agree I wouldn't recommend driving a big motorbike overseas out of the blue without training.

simplefish posted:

This whole thing confuses me. Whose land is it? Who is the house for? How would you build a house on your ex's family's land without permission, and if he had permission why would they have given it to him? If he didn't have permission, how could he think he's in the right? If you don't get on with your in - laws, why would you want to be their neighbours?

Because Thai girl.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Can't trust the Thoi mate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

How the gently caress do people get themselves into these situations?
That's awesome. I kind of give the guy credit for clearly not yelling poo poo back at dad, even though he's obviously not that bright and doesn't know what all is going on. Still, I take away substantial credit for this life choice lolol. He may also be the worst human being ever, it's impossible to say from the edited video.

All hilarious, though. Clearly a large chunk of Western humanity does not have enough to do in life judging by the stupid situations they get into and seemingly accept.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 15, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Get the starter pack of "sat, ai hia, awk bai" and so much more, build a house on oppositional ex-father in law's land ---- TODAY

raton fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 15, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I guess his plan is "build a house and get evicted from it by the police" or maybe "build a house so someone else can burn it down with you in it" both of which are probably things he deserves about 66% of the way

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

I guess his plan is "build a house and get evicted from it by the police" or maybe "build a house so someone else can burn it down with you in it" both of which are probably things he deserves about 66% of the way

his amazing plan seems to be 'spend my life savings on building a house i can't ever legally own on land that doesn't belong to me, that's actually owned by my ex-wife's elderly father who hates me about as much as it's possible to hate a person'. :thumbsup:

The language the old dude is using is strong enough that most Thais would be extremely careful about throwing it out there because once you say it, the face loss for the recipient is enough that you can't just sit down and make up over some whiskey or whatever. Maybe he's only doing it because the video poster seems to be utterly clueless about both Thai language and culture, but I would love to see how things got to this point.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

his amazing plan seems to be 'spend my life savings on building a house i can't ever legally own on land that doesn't belong to me, that's actually owned by my ex-wife's elderly father who hates me about as much as it's possible to hate a person'. :thumbsup:

The language the old dude is using is strong enough that most Thais would be extremely careful about throwing it out there because once you say it, the face loss for the recipient is enough that you can't just sit down and make up over some whiskey or whatever. Maybe he's only doing it because the video poster seems to be utterly clueless about both Thai language and culture, but I would love to see how things got to this point.
Yeah, that's what I picked up on. It's about the equivalent of like "You worthless piece of poo poo, gently caress off. You don't know anything you dumb sonofabitch. Go gently caress yourself. You want some poo poo?" I mean it's not trivial stuff, especially locally.