Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's not an "idiot tax" and statements like that are classist as gently caress.

Nah

e: btw if "nerds" are the first people that come to mind who dismiss the lottery as a money black hole, maybe you spend too long around nerds and might be a nerd yourself 😱

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd make a monthly mystery box that sends you an actual murder mystery to solve every month.

I can do that. It might not be a very good mystery though.
The answer is always "He got a parcel-bomb in the mail."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Door Frame posted:

:confused:
I don't understand what your rant is trying to say, other than that you don't like him very much. The math is very clear in this regard, no game of chance is ever in the player's favor. Statistically speaking, it is never smart to spend money on anything that is literally an RNG.
I wouldn't say idiot tax, because I understand how these games are designed to make people give up their money for nothing besides the excitement of possibly winning, maybe, someday. I also resent the people who run the lottery, despite its predatory nature and dubious benefits. However, the reductive term "idiot tax" is somewhat applicable to playing RNG games, since it is a poor decision to ever play in the first place.
Claiming intelligence as the deciding factor in all purchases is certainly disingenuous when looking at what are clearly the victims of a Skinner Box. Calling it a tax is also disingenuous, since it is an exploitative system built to milk people for every penny that they can spare.

Using reductive terms to describe complex socioeconomic problems that become compounded by addictive behavior just makes someone sound like an rear end, it's not proof positive that they are so stupid that they couldn't grasp the concept of being wrong

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd make a monthly mystery box that sends you an actual murder mystery to solve every month.

Was it you

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm gonna Kickstart my new idea which is a monthly service in which a burly teenager comes to your door, punches you in the neck, and takes your lunch money as payment. It's just as big a waste as all those other mystery crates only with less clutter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can't you guys just subscribe to a patreon

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somebody write an app that downloads a random pic off Wikipedia every day and sends it to your printer and sends me a dollar at the same time please thanks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's something similar to the "murder mystery box" idea with The Mysterious Package Company. Depending on how much money you spend, you can sign up yourself to receive updates on current mysteries or you can sign up someone else to receive mysterious packages that put them in the middle of a Lovecraft-style supernatural horror story that ends with them receiving a personalized gift related to the story.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

Somebody write an app that downloads a random pic off Wikipedia every day and sends it to your printer and sends me a dollar at the same time please thanks.

This...actually isn't a terrible idea. It would probably fly if you didn't reveal the source of the "random" images and only charged a quarter for each one. Maybe set it up to only shoot one a day to the printer and only during times when there isn't any other network activity. And definitely let it scan for unsecured networks and/or unsecured WiFi printers.

Give it a lovely Web 2.0 name like "so.randm" and watch the quarters fly in :coal:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This...actually isn't a terrible idea. It would probably fly if you didn't reveal the source of the "random" images and only charged a quarter for each one. Maybe set it up to only shoot one a day to the printer and only during times when there isn't any other network activity. And definitely let it scan for unsecured networks and/or unsecured WiFi printers.

Give it a lovely Web 2.0 name like "so.randm" and watch the quarters fly in :coal:

This and also post peoples' horrified reactions when they get photos of medical problems, injuries, executions, etc..

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

BattleMaster posted:

This and also post peoples' horrified reactions when they get photos of medical problems, injuries, executions, etc..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I still don't quite understand how this thread evolved from making fun of bad marketing to suckers paying for badly printed jpegs of trains.

Me neither

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I still don't quite understand how this thread evolved from making fun of bad marketing to suckers paying for badly printed jpegs of trains.

When you gaze into the abyss...

Superficially, Bobcat doesn't sound horrible. "Hey, for a small amount of money you'll be randomly sent some junk you don't care about. And because it's random there's a chance that it'll amuse and distract you for a few seconds as you try to figure out why you got it." And now it turns out that people are gaming the system which makes it terrible for the people drawn in but hilarious for those of us who weren't.

Now I'm thinking I should set up my own "I'll print out this picture for you and mail it for $1 including shipping" ebay store and try to hit every key word Bobcat in a Box has. Maybe they have enough subscribers to make it worthwhile.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

From the makers of JustWorld Box comes GamblerFallacy Box: So many mystery boxes are complete ripoffs that surely the next one will have to be something good, right?

I'm going to make Ripoff Box. It's literally just a $10 empty bix.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tiggum posted:

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

Yay me!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm going to make Ripoff Box. It's literally just a $10 empty bix.

You could totally get away with it, just say that every 500th box will contain $100 worth of something wacky, and you have a business model. Just make a program that generates random numbers for every address on your list, and send anyone who doesn't get 500 exactly a box of packing peanuts and a piece of paper with their number on it. Boom, that easy.

It's especially tempting if you live in a state that produces things that are hard to get outside of that area, so people can't easily buy it themselves

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

You could totally get away with it, just say that every 500th box will contain $100 worth of something wacky, and you have a business model. Just make a program that generates random numbers for every address on your list, and send anyone who doesn't get 500 exactly a box of packing peanuts and a piece of paper with their number on it. Boom, that easy.

So a numbers game, then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Was it you

No.

Maybe.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Are there really ebay sales now designed specifically to game BIAB? I'm kinda morbidly curious about the whole idea and want to hear more goon unboxing stories. I feel like if I were savvy with the positive and negative keywords (ie no print outs, post cards, beads, or food, and then yes to four or five interests/hobbies) I could start getting things I would say "yeah that's worth a buck to me."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Yay me!

It's especially tempting if you live in a state that produces things that are hard to get outside of that area, so people can't easily buy it themselves

Better yet go the exceptionally lazy route and just put a $100 bill in 1/500 boxes.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I just checked the mail and found the same diagram of a steam locomotive that the other goon got, so it looks like keywords don't matter and they're just sending everyone the same junk. I'm thinking about asking for a refund, possibly with the vague threat of filing a charge back, and seeing how that goes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please keep us updated, I'm sure it'll go well for you.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

There's something similar to the "murder mystery box" idea with The Mysterious Package Company. Depending on how much money you spend, you can sign up yourself to receive updates on current mysteries or you can sign up someone else to receive mysterious packages that put them in the middle of a Lovecraft-style supernatural horror story that ends with them receiving a personalized gift related to the story.

This actually seems really interesting, though I can't imagine it's quite as ... amazing as they write it up to be.

It's like an ARG except without the game part.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I can't believe that anyone is still being tricked by blindboxes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't believe that anyone is still being tricked by blindboxes

the thread started talking about how much of a scam it was then decided they'd all go in on this particular one, its been amazing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this is one of my favorite threads to read in the entire forum

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can you guys give me money instead?? I make good quality posts

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You've all been subscribing to my Post-in-a-box service for free for years. Time to pay up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

And it looks like the sort of thing you would get as a handout in a class. They paid for teaching materials.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Guy Mann posted:

No, they were rightfully making fun of you because you were calling the lottery an "idiot tax" which is some clasist dunning-kruger bullshit. The fact that you were so sore about it that you crawled back three weeks later just to launch a parting shot is hilarious, thanks for living up to everything your custom title promised about you as a person :thumbsup:

Stop being an imbecile playing the lottery and/or getting mystery boxes.

People of all social strata buy lottery tickets and gamble, so your accusation of classism is as idiotic as your love for lotto. The dunning Kruger thing.. Yeah, I don't know Wtf you're talking about.

Perhaps you should use the money wasted on idiotic boxes or the lottery in helping a charity.

As someone else said, comparing lottery and bobcat box is not very smart. In the lottery you actually have an actual chance of winning; here goons actively spend their money on the promise of receiving poo poo every month, knowing that they'll throw it away.

And I'm classist for thinking spending your money on generating waste is a bad idea? Yeah, gently caress you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mean theoretically you can win the lottery, but I think we can all agree that with these box things nobody wins!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean theoretically you can win the lottery, but I think we can all agree that with these box things nobody wins!

It's about the excitement of not knowing how exactly you'll get hosed. Stop your dunning Kruger classism please.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
LETS JUST SELL BOXES OF GARBAGE

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Sure they do.

The person selling them wins. :v:

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Perhaps you should use the money wasted on idiotic boxes or the lottery in helping a charity.

And I'm classist for thinking spending your money on generating waste is a bad idea? Yeah, gently caress you.

Why didn't you spend your sa register+plat+ avatar on charity instead of using that money to argue with people that are clearly below you

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I've been reading scans of old gaming mags recently, cause that's the kind of person you're dealing with, and people ran a proto version of this in the classifieds where they'd "give away" some game to the 50th person to send them $2, or similar setups. You can probably see how that's a vastly better deal for the seller, even without taking into account the fact that probably not 50 people would reply to an ad offering Bubsy for the SNES in the first place, nor would any of them be able to prove they were #50. But these caught on like wildfire in the ad section of one particular mag - one guy came up with it, and a few months later the ad section was almost entirely comprised of ads in that style, going up to completely ridiculous stuff like "Sega Genesis with 5 games to the 1500th person who sends me $3", until the editors finally put their foot down.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
The weird thing about Bobcat is, as far as I can tell, the creators only keep the extremely negligible change left over from if a person stops receiving Bobcat things and has a few cents that didn't roll over or something. The money you've put into Bobcat isn't profit for anyone except for whoever listed train diagrams on eBay in the first place. This, of course, means putting crap up on eBay knowing that an innocent-minded robot susceptible to rudimentary SEO will spend cash on it is a brilliant move in marketing. Is there a way for you to look up exactly how much the bot spent on what you received? From the discussions in the thread I am betting they could have easily charged $5 for that printout, including shipping.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

The weird thing about Bobcat is, as far as I can tell, the creators only keep the extremely negligible change left over from if a person stops receiving Bobcat things and has a few cents that didn't roll over or something. The money you've put into Bobcat isn't profit for anyone except for whoever listed train diagrams on eBay in the first place. This, of course, means putting crap up on eBay knowing that an innocent-minded robot susceptible to rudimentary SEO will spend cash on it is a brilliant move in marketing. Is there a way for you to look up exactly how much the bot spent on what you received? From the discussions in the thread I am betting they could have easily charged $5 for that printout, including shipping.

I wonder who this mysterious whoever could be.... I suppose we will never know.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I wonder who this mysterious whoever could be.... I suppose we will never know.

Bobcat creator SEO scamming his own service would be such a needlessly complicated and therefore brilliantly scandalous scheme, I don't know whether to love the idea or pity it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Is there a way for you to look up exactly how much the bot spent on what you received? From the discussions in the thread I am betting they could have easily charged $5 for that printout, including shipping.

Isn't part of the gimmick that each item costs $1 or less with free postage?