Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Bobcat creator SEO scamming his own service would be such a needlessly complicated and therefore brilliantly scandalous scheme, I don't know whether to love the idea or pity it.

How do you even know these train pics are coming from eBay? I had a cursory look and couldn't see anyone selling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I ordered dinosaurs instead because I wanted random surprise ones instead of spending the same money and picking out my own. I guess I'm a jackass, too. :smith:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Is BIAB really a bot? The end of the FAQ describes it as "very much in the tradition of Mechanical Turk" and like the whole thing of the Mechanical Turk is there was a secret hidden dude actually controlling it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Crowned posted:

I got my first mysterious bobcat in a box item!

I assumed this was some kind of kit box for building a steam model train, and was like hey that's weird and oddly technical but pretty cool gift.

But wait its literally just a piece of paper? Just a print out? Not even in color? Hoooooly poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So uh...have any of you gotten any other junk yet?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
This is what happens when you buy something from a person who based their name off of two different lovely xkcd comics.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Choco1980 posted:

So uh...have any of you gotten any other junk yet?

Nope! Maybe the bot's having a hard time finding "vintage kawaii." I'll probably get a greyscale print of Hello Kitty

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why are you guys still subscribed to this, they're sending you printed versions of things they found on Google images. At least tell me it's really cheap

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
One dumb marketing thing is those websites where you pay for a bunch of tat in a box, and get this: you don't even know what you're getting in advance! It's a mystery! I'm sure no-one ever falls for that bullshit

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a buck for you would be 4 bucks for me. please give me money, i have no job.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
So, non box:

Saw a banner add where McDonalds eschewed the red and gold for a wholesome, healthful green color, to announce the better quality of meat in their nugs. You and I know the unspoken subtext, or at least I heard about it on NPR. McDonalds is concerned about people eating less junk food and opting for more healthy options. I don't know why this motivation is so bad to admit. They could just tell us they're listening to our wants and are changing their ingredients to make us happy.

Instead the tag line is something like "Because we care about the health of your family."

Do you really? Since when? It's so pandering. Are people really moved when corporations pretend that they care and want to be part of your family?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The funny implication is that they were fine selling us what was apparently toxic garbage for decades before if this is such an improvement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's like the campaign a few years ago where Domino's was basically "Between you and us, our pizza was loving garbage. But it's not anymore!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bast Relief posted:

So, non box:

Saw a banner add where McDonalds eschewed the red and gold for a wholesome, healthful green color, to announce the better quality of meat in their nugs. You and I know the unspoken subtext, or at least I heard about it on NPR. McDonalds is concerned about people eating less junk food and opting for more healthy options. I don't know why this motivation is so bad to admit. They could just tell us they're listening to our wants and are changing their ingredients to make us happy.

Instead the tag line is something like "Because we care about the health of your family."

Do you really? Since when? It's so pandering. Are people really moved when corporations pretend that they care and want to be part of your family?

Advertisement and marketing are like >99% pandering. That or preying on peoples' insecurities.

Of course in the case of McDonald's (and, well, fast food in general) is that they've been having issues with the simple fact that they do, actually, in reality sell garbage. Even trying to sell salads as a healthy alternative to the deep fried, bottom of the barrel crap turned out to be awful. They managed to pack more calories into the salads than some of the meals.

Really, I kind of feel like they should just admit they sell cheap, fast crap and own it. You know, like Taco Bell, whose attitude seems to be "we know you only eat this when you're drunk, hungry, and broke. We're cool with that. We're here if you need us."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's like the campaign a few years ago where Domino's was basically "Between you and us, our pizza was loving garbage. But it's not anymore!"

That one actually worked for me, if a company can earnestly admit that they are wrong and sell themselves on how they've changed, I'll at least give them a chance. Their pizza is still gross, but I appreciated the effort

E:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Advertisement and marketing are like >99% pandering. That or preying on peoples' insecurities.

Of course in the case of McDonald's (and, well, fast food in general) is that they've been having issues with the simple fact that they do, actually, in reality sell garbage. Even trying to sell salads as a healthy alternative to the deep fried, bottom of the barrel crap turned out to be awful. They managed to pack more calories into the salads than some of the meals.

Really, I kind of feel like they should just admit they sell cheap, fast crap and own it. You know, like Taco Bell, whose attitude seems to be "we know you only eat this when you're drunk, hungry, and broke. We're cool with that. We're here if you need us."

Their "Cantina" campaign was awful. They tried to take on Chipotle for some bizarre reason, as if their primary demographics actually overlapped

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Aug 13, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Their "Cantina" campaign was awful. They tried to take on Chipotle for some bizarre reason, as if their primary demographics actually overlapped

I really think a lot of that also has to do with old, out of touch marketing people trying to be cool, hip, and trendy. For whatever reason everybody decided that millenials are the #1 target market and all they want is hip this, artisinal that, authentic the other thing...as if Taco Bell is anything other than cheap, knockoff fast garbage.

Granted these marketing campaigns also tend to come with higher prices, as if millenials can actually loving afford it. What they seem to be forgetting is that all those young, hip, trendy people are also drowning in student debt, stagnant wages, and a god awful minimum wage. All that fancy window dressing and decor isn't free so the cost goes into the food. A place that didn't doll the place up and just sold things that are edible, taste better than awful, and dirt cheap would probably do pretty well.

Instead we get campaigns directed at what people would like to be able to afford rather than what they can afford. I'd sure as hell love to be able to eat really nice food every day for lunch but, despite being an actual god damned programmer, usually eat in a cheap dive bar.

Because it's just that: cheap. I can get a huge sandwich there for like half what I'd pay to still go back to work hungry in a lot of other places.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
If you're someone who likes little cheap crappy surprises that you'll probably end up throwing in a drawer or the trash, just buy a kinder egg. At least then you'll at least get some nice chocolate.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
And when you can afford to eat/drink artisanal...whatever, why wouldn't you go to your local hipster place, assuming you've got one nearby?

I guess I can see this working in the strip malls that serve the burbs where there aren't too many local places.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

Saw a banner add where McDonalds eschewed the red and gold for a wholesome, healthful green color, to announce the better quality of meat in their nugs.
The McD's sign and logo has been green in (some parts of?) Europe for a while now, but to convey a more eco-friendly tone, not necessarily a healthier one.

While the company hasn't been doing well in the States, it's expanding in Europe. Go figure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bast Relief posted:

Saw a banner add where McDonalds eschewed the red and gold for a wholesome, healthful green color, to announce the better quality of meat in their nugs.

When I think of wholesome meat, green is the first colour to come to mind.

Red meat? :barf:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bast Relief posted:

They do that kind of marketing because it works, they've tested it. Most people don't have very good bullshit detectors and just kinda accept that poo poo.

Same with people talking about how much they like the product (who are actors) and other obvious marketing strategies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

The McD's sign and logo has been green in (some parts of?) Europe for a while now, but to convey a more eco-friendly tone, not necessarily a healthier one.

While the company hasn't been doing well in the States, it's expanding in Europe. Go figure.

McDonalds had something of a turn-around year. All-day breakfast did surprisingly well and they finally managed to replace their dollar menu with that 2 for $2.50 deal. Which I guess is like 25% more profit, but more importantly gets them out of the race-to-the-bottom they were having with all the other fast food restaurants.

Which is good in that they're at least trying to improve food quality and anything a company the size of McDonalds does, moves the whole industry in that direction.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Platystemon posted:

When I think of wholesome meat, green is the first colour to come to mind.

Red meat? :barf:

It's this very wholesome sage green, like the color green hand-stamped by rescued sex trade slaves onto your reusable 100% sustainable hemp co-op grocery bag. When I saw that color in a McD campaign, the first thing I thought was that the choice was very, very purposeful.

Zaphod42 posted:

They do that kind of marketing because it works, they've tested it. Most people don't have very good bullshit detectors and just kinda accept that poo poo.

Same with people talking about how much they like the product (who are actors) and other obvious marketing strategies.

I believe you, but it makes me so sad. I have a former high school classmate who works in marketing and makes gently caress loads of money by figuring out how to manipulate people. We went to a diverse, struggling school, and so our special talent is understanding all kinds of people. I use this experience to help kids. She uses it to market branding to these people. And she's good. All of the people she competes with come from narrow, priviledged backgrounds and don't stand a chance against her. I half admire her and the other half hates what she does.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Marketing and advertising are really a bizarre double-edged sword. On one hand marketing people are generally human filth that make a living manipulating you into buying stuff you probably don't need or really want. That or convincing you to spend more. Why yes, I do need luxury toothpaste that is thrice the price and half the value. Thank you, marketing!

On the other hand you can't buy a product if you don't even know it exists.

One alka-seltzer is enough but the company wanted to sell more. So somebody came up with that jingle and suddenly everybody thought you were supposed to use two of them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hardcordion posted:

If you're someone who likes little cheap crappy surprises that you'll probably end up throwing in a drawer or the trash, just buy a kinder egg. At least then you'll at least get some nice chocolate.

Didn't you know? The US won't allow them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Marketing and advertising are really a bizarre double-edged sword. On one hand marketing people are generally human filth that make a living manipulating you into buying stuff you probably don't need or really want. That or convincing you to spend more. Why yes, I do need luxury toothpaste that is thrice the price and half the value. Thank you, marketing!

On the other hand you can't buy a product if you don't even know it exists.

One alka-seltzer is enough but the company wanted to sell more. So somebody came up with that jingle and suddenly everybody thought you were supposed to use two of them.

Everyone knows diamonds and the whole concept of wedding rings(at least, flashy expensive ones) are a scam to sell diamonds, but so in fact is the common American breakfast. Toast, eggs, bacon, all that poo poo? Totally made up marketing.

Some movie about gladiators(...Gladiator maybe?) had a scene of the main character endorsing products cut for fear of being unrealistic despite that in fact being a common practice in real life Rome.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Some movie about gladiators(...Gladiator maybe?) had a scene of the main character endorsing products cut for fear of being unrealistic despite that in fact being a common practice in real life Rome.

Yeah, it was Gladiator. The real gladiators not only shilled for products, they had action figures made of them for the kids (complete with accessories like the gladiator's preferred weapon), and had their stats posted in newsletters distributed throughout the Empire.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WickedHate posted:

Everyone knows diamonds and the whole concept of wedding rings(at least, flashy expensive ones) are a scam to sell diamonds, but so in fact is the common American breakfast. Toast, eggs, bacon, all that poo poo? Totally made up marketing.

It wasn't just made up marketing it was deliberately twisting a doctor's words. This is also around the time that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" came from. Mostly people just had like some coffee and some toast. Light breakfast, at best; it was just a few calories on your way out the door.

Somebody asked a doctor "so do you consider bacon a hearty food?" Doctor says "yes."

Somebody asks the same doctor "is it better to have a hearty breakfast or no breakfast?" Doctor says "hearty one, obviously."

Marketing goes "doctor says bacon is a healthy breakfast."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It wasn't just made up marketing it was deliberately twisting a doctor's words. This is also around the time that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" came from. Mostly people just had like some coffee and some toast. Light breakfast, at best; it was just a few calories on your way out the door.

Somebody asked a doctor "so do you consider bacon a hearty food?" Doctor says "yes."

Somebody asks the same doctor "is it better to have a hearty breakfast or no breakfast?" Doctor says "hearty one, obviously."

Kind of how like '9 out of 10 dentists recommend [toothpaste brand]' ads hide that the dentists effectively said "use any toothpaste, just brush your damned teeth"?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Does this come with a citation of some sort?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it was Gladiator. The real gladiators not only shilled for products, they had action figures made of them for the kids (complete with accessories like the gladiator's preferred weapon), and had their stats posted in newsletters distributed throughout the Empire.

haahahahaha we havent changed at all!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Waffleman_ posted:

Same with Mother energy drink. The ads were all about how it tasted completely different now because everyone hated the old flavour.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

McDonalds had something of a turn-around year. All-day breakfast did surprisingly well and they finally managed to replace their dollar menu with that 2 for $2.50 deal. Which I guess is like 25% more profit, but more importantly gets them out of the race-to-the-bottom they were having with all the other fast food restaurants.
The all-day breakfast bump won't carry them too far, though.

https://consumerist.com/2016/07/27/mcdonalds-quarterly-sales-show-it-cant-ride-all-day-breakfast-wave-forever/
(I'd link the WSJ article it cites, but it's behind a paywall)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which is good in that they're at least trying to improve food quality and anything a company the size of McDonalds does, moves the whole industry in that direction.
This is true. I've been seeing a lot more articles about fast-food places eschewing antibiotics, artificial additives, and preservatives in their food, and it seems to start with McDonald's and ripple outward through the industry. It's definitely a positive.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hirayuki posted:

This is true. I've been seeing a lot more articles about fast-food places eschewing antibiotics, artificial additives, and preservatives in their food, and it seems to start with McDonald's and ripple outward through the industry. It's definitely a positive.
The antibiotics thing is a positive change, even if people's motivations there have nothing to do with the real reason loading up everything with antibiotics is bad. But the new panic about additives, preservatives, and GMOs is basically superstition.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

haahahahaha we havent changed at all!
We really haven't.

quote:

II.4.1 (bar; left of the door, near a picture of Mercury); 8475: Palmyra, the thirst-quencher

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Aug 13, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

This was my favorite ad campaign in a long time. Just a progression of different people at a Domino's being all 'guys I swear to god we KNOW our pizza was hot trash before, but we're fixing it. Please just give us one more chance'.

Didn't Pizza Hut recently try to jack that idea? All I've seen from them lately has been them advertising a giant rectangle pizza for the Olympics but didn't they weirdly try to rebrand themselves as some kinda like...up-scaleish fast food place?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pizza Hut has always had the perfect pizza and the perfect pizza atmosphere. I'd be distressed if they changed anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just enjoyed the weird whiplash in going from "STUFFED CRUST, YOU loving ANIMALS! WE GOT STUFFED CRUST!!!!" morphing to "We're a bit better than the rest, we're fancy because we drizzle sauces on our pizza (that was the gimmick right?)", but then near instantly returning to "STUFFED CRUST, BUT GARLIC KNOTS TOO! WE MADE STUFFED CRUST AND GARLIC KNOTS gently caress AND MADE A PIZZA WITH THEM!" and now apparently a giant rectangle for the Olympics.

Pizza Hut is a complicated brand, perhaps they themselves don't even know what they are.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

WickedHate posted:

Pizza Hut has always had the perfect pizza and the perfect pizza atmosphere. I'd be distressed if they changed anything.

I love p'zza h'ut

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
The stuffed crust was the only good thing about PIzza Hut, I really could have just had the ring of stuffed crust and not bothered with the whole middle actual pie part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
goons were loving CRAZY about the p'zone for awhile