Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
"Firestarter"

I'm the trouble starter, punking instigator.
I'm the fear addicted, danger illustrated.
I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter,
you're the firestarter, twisted firestarter.

Burned down 2 camping Iowas :flame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCXY2mVGN8

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MoraleHazard posted:

When does the next patch drop?

Public test ends on the 15th, so probably 16th or 17th

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well that was fun. I just had a great match on Strait in my Izyaslav. We ended up with four destroyers all in a perfect line abreast up North. In a rare example of coordination, all four destroyers agreed in chat to just charge the enemy. As it turned out we killed a Derzki on the way in, someone torpedoes a Tenryu, and then three DDs all launched on the lone Northern BB from ranges of 5 down to less than one kilometer. I finally get killed in the melee, check the score, and its 541-0.

It was glorious.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbWNNXbjxEw

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://wowsssc.ap-northeast-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/
I'm making online ship fitting tool atm. Implemented upgrades and modules, and will be doing skills next (which might be a headache).

CVs are not yet implemented properly but rest of the ship classes should work fine. Feel free to explore and let me know of any bugs or throw feed backs.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Doing it right.

High-tier IJN DDs have good guns once you realise that you need to use them with the same assassin mindset as your torps. You have the camo advantage, so use it to dictate when and where to start a fight and ensure that it's one on your terms. You backstab a motherfucker with your great ballistics and HE shells and then you vanish again using islands or smoke to break off or, if you think you still have the advantage, you press it to the hilt and finish your opponent before he can get back on track.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Do people use the torp reload consumable on tier 7+ ijn DDs or do they stick with the speed boost as another oh poo poo button when caught in a torp run?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is EU always that bad in the afternoon ? I usually play evenings/nights and the level of idiocy I have experienced over the last 20 games is incredible :psyduck:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Is EU always that bad in the afternoon ? I usually play evenings/nights and the level of idiocy I have experienced over the last 20 games is incredible :psyduck:

It's always bad but outside of non-weekend evenings/nights it's worse

Yesterday I had a teammate who ran straight into torpodoes which have been spotted since forever qnd then proceeded to tell the enemy DD what a losing loser he was who loses all the time. :smithicide:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Do people use the torp reload consumable on tier 7+ ijn DDs or do they stick with the speed boost as another oh poo poo button when caught in a torp run?

Actually, I just logged on and see it replaces smoke.. that doesn't sound like a good exchange to me.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Actually, I just logged on and see it replaces smoke.. that doesn't sound like a good exchange to me.

Smoke is honestly less useful for IJN destroyers than you would think at high tiers. Generally, if you've pumped your gun skills, you can already invisifire so it's less useful than for Russian destroyers. There's also one other little issue regarding smoke... and that's the prevalence of RADAR at T9-10. Due to the relentless screwing over of IJN torpedoes you're generally going to be sub-10km when firing them already, which puts you in RADAR range of basically anything with it. Depending on heading, even Shimakaze is going to have difficulties getting back out of range in a reasonable amount of time - let alone Kagero, which some cruisers can at the very least pace.

Not to say it's not useful, but good arguments can definitely be made for giving up your smoke for the torpedo reload one.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Well, well....:words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKj8iC0vzd0

quote:

Question: Will larger ships (cruisers, battleships, aircraft carriers) be available for player control? If not - why do we need torpedos?

​Larger vessels, while not available for control by players, but will be presented under the control of AI in some game modes. One of the main tasks of combat torpedo boats will be the destruction of larger ships. Player-controlled destroyers and other large ships may appear later, in other gamemodes, it will be decided based on results of closed beta.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4185-news-naval-battles-in-war-thunder-closed-beta-test-later-this-year-en/?page=7

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Feels good bad man.

I think my favorite part was when our shitbag CV, after I had murdered their CV and given him control of the skies, decided to drive into a cap point that was obviously being capped by the Fubuki. Hard to tell if it was on purpose or if he was just that stupid.

Sounds interesting. I stopped playing WT when I got started on the WoWS closed beta, I may have to update and check this out.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lmao THE LONG AWAITED NAVAL PORTION OF THE COMBINED ARMS OF WAR THUNDER oh its literally just torpedo boats

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Pacra posted:

Lmao THE LONG AWAITED NAVAL PORTION OF THE COMBINED ARMS OF WAR THUNDER oh its literally just torpedo boats

Bahahaha. I was wondering how they were going to deal with the fact that naval engagements are long, boring affairs over vast distances while keeping scale with the plane and tank game. Seems like they couldn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pacra posted:

It's going to be the Star Citizen of naval warfare, the only difference being that you'll probably be able to command a frigate-sized ship in WT sometime before the heat death of the universe.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I want my PT Boat captain to be voiced by Gary Oldman.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hammerstein posted:

I want my PT Boat captain to be voiced by Gary Oldman.

PARPARE THE TORPARPOS.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pacra posted:

To be fair, PT boats are probably going to be pretty fun. The Russian one has a T-34 turret mounted on the deck and a loving rocket launcher.

Durendal posted:

Bahahaha. I was wondering how they were going to deal with the fact that naval engagements are long, boring affairs over vast distances while keeping scale with the plane and tank game. Seems like they couldn't.

I remember them starting internal ship testing over 2 years ago. They mentioned exactly this problem, and I guess they tried everything to make big boats work. Either that or they had like 2 guys working on it and just now finished.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 12, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

El Disco posted:

To be fair, PT boats are probably going to be pretty fun. The Russian one has a T-34 turret mounted on the deck and a loving rocket launcher.

I remember them starting internal ship testing over 2 years ago. They mentioned exactly this problem, and I guess they tried everything to make big boats work. Either that or they had like 2 guys working on it and just now finished.

I'll give it a thumbs up only when a pro tier torpedo boat driver pens and destroys a tank inland with that T-34 deck turret

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The PT vs PT combat in that 2009 game was really bad though.

There are hardly any tactics on the ocean, people will circle-strafe each other forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUkhcebdJE

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There was a PT boat game for the OG Mac OS that I enjoyed back in '93 or so. I should see if I can get it working in an emulator.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If there's one thing that's eventually going to make me quit this game, it's loving fire RNG. Because I can't even remember the last time I came out on the lucky side of it. At best I might break average now and then.

So much fun to get 25 HE pens for a whole 1 fire with IJN 8" shells, and have a loving US destroyer, and their supposedly lowest fire chance in the game shells, set me on fire 3 times in about 10 hits.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

If there's one thing that's eventually going to make me quit this game, it's loving fire RNG. Because I can't even remember the last time I came out on the lucky side of it. At best I might break average now and then.

So much fun to get 25 HE pens for a whole 1 fire with IJN 8" shells, and have a loving US destroyer, and their supposedly lowest fire chance in the game shells, set me on fire 3 times in about 10 hits.

I love when I got double fired from a single volley from I think it was a russian cruiser in my BB. I was like, ok, that was a fluke, let me repair and lets get this over with. Only to suddenly be double fired on the next incoming volley. Meanwhile, I have a hard time just getting a single fire even with DE. Doubles and Triples are a really rare sight for me to do and I usually get excited when it happens.

In other news, Flamu posted up the winner on that citadel contest. Twenty citadels in a des moines. So we get him commenting on the gameplay of an NA des moines player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnw_iWkpFRM

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
My best citadels came with 8 in a single volley from my 9 shell Baltimore. I can see how you could do this pretty easily with a Des Moines.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I had a quadruple citadel (and another two in the previous salvo, 6 guns only) in my Des Moines against an Amagi last night. I think most BB players don't know what USN cruiser AP can do at 5km, he never made any attempt to angle.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Can we please euthanize terrible players or physically remove them from playing the loving game?

Prime example: https://na.warships.today/player/1002756745/BIGYELLOW

Has bought almost every premium ship, and proceeds to be the worst loving player in all of them. With an average damage of 5.5k

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Chucullinn posted:

Can we please euthanize terrible players or physically remove them from playing the loving game?

Has bought almost every premium ship, and proceeds to be the worst loving player in all of them. With an average damage of 5.5k

Not to mention 400 games in the T1 German ship...
Has to be either someone disabled, elderly or a very young children.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Chucullinn posted:

That's admittedly impressive. He demonstrably knows there's a tech tree since he has a Tenryu. He could be an rear end in a top hat with orders of magnitude more money than sense trying to grind/bot free experience for the Yamato but that doesn't explain 400 loving games in a Hermelin. I've got nothing.

Ps. the rabbit hole gets deeper if you click the oft-ignored PvE tab.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
This person has to have some sort of disability. There is literally no joy this person could be having playing this game.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Or it's some sort of public trial account.

The dunkerke review are coming, it seem to be a pretty poo poo boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TMBFmp564
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQHb_iRshM

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yes Dunkerque looks total garbage. I have to admire Wargaming for not blatantly making every Premium OP to get cash tbh. Even the Texas and Arizona, while obviously very good ships and apparently much better than this Dunkerque, they are well balanced at their Tiers.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
So whats the preferred skills to pick for a Japanese cruiser captain? might as well ask about destroyer captain as well since I will end up with both.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
About what tier do pubbies stop being sitting torpedo magnets? I'm only at the Wickes, but I am reliably torpedoing pubs and it's good fun...had 11 hits earlier with the highlight being watching a St Louis and South Carolina run into an island soaking up both broadsides :)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

wjs5 posted:

So whats the preferred skills to pick for a Japanese cruiser captain? might as well ask about destroyer captain as well since I will end up with both.

For a 15-skill captain for cruisers, assuming you're working up the line to a Zao captain, it is:

Tier 1 : Basics of Survivability
Tier 2: Expert Marksman OR Incoming Fire Alert
Tier 3: Vigilance
Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training OR Demolition Expert
Tier 5: Concealment Expert

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

rex rabidorum vires posted:

About what tier do pubbies stop being sitting torpedo magnets? I'm only at the Wickes, but I am reliably torpedoing pubs and it's good fun...had 11 hits earlier with the highlight being watching a St Louis and South Carolina run into an island soaking up both broadsides :)

We'll let you know when it happens.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

wjs5 posted:

For IJN DDs, I prefer gun skills rather than save 5 points for Concealment Expert. From Tier 7 on, your guns are actually pretty effective although you will always be primarily a torpedo boat. Sure you probably arent going to take down a Fletcher by hucking 127mm shells at him, but I find that pubbies on your team will rarely shoot at an intact DD even if its an enormous threat, but once its lost a big chunk of its HP they start to get a bit greedy for that kill.

To that end, I go with

1 Point Skills: Basic Firing Training
2 Point Skills: Torpedo Armament Expertise / Last Stand / Expert Marksman
3 Point Skills: Vigilance
4 Point Skills: Survivability Expert

If you had a 17 point captain in like a Shimakaze, I could see dropping Expert Marksman and taking Concealment Expert, but thats a shitload of xp.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Smoke is honestly less useful for IJN destroyers than you would think at high tiers. Generally, if you've pumped your gun skills, you can already invisifire so it's less useful than for Russian destroyers. There's also one other little issue regarding smoke... and that's the prevalence of RADAR at T9-10. Due to the relentless screwing over of IJN torpedoes you're generally going to be sub-10km when firing them already, which puts you in RADAR range of basically anything with it. Depending on heading, even Shimakaze is going to have difficulties getting back out of range in a reasonable amount of time - let alone Kagero, which some cruisers can at the very least pace.

Not to say it's not useful, but good arguments can definitely be made for giving up your smoke for the torpedo reload one.

The torpedo reload consumable is awful. Take smoke. Not only does it make aggressive torping safer, it also lets you protect teammates, smoke up and plaster a hostile in an important location, and allows you to contest objectives. Torpedo reload... more often than not lets you take another low probability shot on the target you just torped at, after 30 seconds. It scales negatively with match time, while smoke always has a use.

What is amusing is that the reload consumable would work a lot better WITH smoke, since you have time to ambush, smoke and torp, reload torps, then 30 seconds later torp as you leave smoke (or as you get proxy spotted by the CA/DD who is bumrushing you). As it stands, you're just taking 2 stealth torp shots or the skill's fuckin useless.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 13, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pacra posted:

For a 15-skill captain for cruisers, assuming you're working up the line to a Zao captain, it is:

Tier 1 : Basics of Survivability
Tier 2: Expert Marksman OR Incoming Fire Alert
Tier 3: Vigilance
Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training OR Demolition Expert
Tier 5: Concealment Expert

I would never run any DD or CA without last stand as the tier 2 skill, it's saved my arse more times than I can count. I don't think I have ever taken incoming fire alert, it may be useful for stealth ships shooting you but most of the time I know when someone is firing at me.

As for the tier 3 skill I'm a bit torn. Getting an extra health potion and another radar with superintendent is always a hard choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Version 0.0.2 Alpha of WoWS Fitting Tool is updated. http://wowsssc.ap-northeast-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/
Feed backs regarding functions and server performance are welcome.