Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

Our meta was dying around the last 6 months or so of Mk 2 because of how stagnant the game was getting. It was really hard to get new people in. I've had a bunch of new people interested in the game and buying stuff but actually getting them down to game nights has been inconsistent because of the summer. Summer time is always annoying for getting people to show up regularly for stuff.

I'm wondering how things are doing overall. I get the feeling that it's alienated some vets, but the number of newer players might make up the difference from a business perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rkajdi posted:

I'm wondering how things are doing overall. I get the feeling that it's alienated some vets, but the number of newer players might make up the difference from a business perspective.

I mean considering the calls for restocks they seem to have had a good sell through on their initial releases. We'll have to wait and see. New character sculpts are always exciting for people.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

S.J. posted:

I mean considering the calls for restocks they seem to have had a good sell through on their initial releases. We'll have to wait and see. New character sculpts are always exciting for people.

That new Megalith has me tempted, and I just replaced my stolen one on Tuesday.

He looks so SWOLE.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You should always lick your models so people don't take them

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My meta was getting pretty dead near the end of mk2. Now it is very invigorated at all my local game stores and game nights are once again populated and lots of people playing and lots of people buying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Reminder: Mark 3 is awful, no one will take infantry, spam heavies and you will win, spam lights and you will win, cryx is bad, legion is bad, chaos reigns, hail satan

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah my group has been pretty healthy both vets and fresh players are actively playing, super exciting stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One of the new players has gotten a really good grasp of strategy really quickly. He gave a guy who's been playing Cryx for years a massive points handicap and then beat him so badly that the guy refuses to play with him anymore

The guy he beat is also a tool which makes it even funnier

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

That's what I was thinking, but the stories about local areas just dying and a bunch of people publicly rage quitting gives me shivers of WFB 8th. I think it was the best edition of WFB and got back to the main premise (big units fighting each other) but somehow it scared so many local groups away from it and died in the End Times dumpster fire. I guess I'm just a little gunshy is all.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Mk3 has definitely generated a good bunch of new players and some of the old vets have rotated out to bitterville, but I'm still hoping we see it like it was in our Mk2 heyday.

The problem is that X-wing, Armada, Kings of War and 40k/Age of Sigmar are starting to take up more table space. Warmahordes used to be the store's flagship.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rkajdi posted:

That's what I was thinking, but the stories about local areas just dying and a bunch of people publicly rage quitting gives me shivers of WFB 8th. I think it was the best edition of WFB and got back to the main premise (big units fighting each other) but somehow it scared so many local groups away from it and died in the End Times dumpster fire. I guess I'm just a little gunshy is all.

This happened a lot with Mk1 too but yeah I hear ya.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

rkajdi posted:

I hear that. We have a couple of toxic dudes in our meta that go out of their way to poison the Warmachine well around here. It's frustrating as hell. You can play your dumb steampunk football, let us have our dumb steampunk robots.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

AnElegantPeacock posted:

You can play your dumb steampunk football, let us have our dumb steampunk robots.

Wow - is this a thing? I thought it was specific to just my store. Bitter vet -> Guild Ball -> poo poo on Warmahordes whenever possible.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Wow - is this a thing? I thought it was specific to just my store. Bitter vet -> Guild Ball -> poo poo on Warmahordes whenever possible.

Apparently not! They can't seem to stand the fact that people are still playing. Couple it with some individuals being bitter about not understanding how game stores actually have to operate to stay in business and I've had a pretty great 2016 :v:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

S.J. posted:

Apparently not! They can't seem to stand the fact that people are still playing. Couple it with some individuals being bitter about not understanding how game stores actually have to operate to stay in business and I've had a pretty great 2016 :v:

It'll be okay buddy. We'll get through this together.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd be more interested in Guildball if it wasn't for the "gently caress PP play a real game" kind of vibe I get from some players of it. More importantly, I just don't care for the looks of any of the teams or whatever. My mandollies have to be pretty pretty mandollies for me to be interested. :allears:

Ironically, that same attitude from ex-GW players taking up Warmachiine kept me from WMH for a couple extra years. Some things never change.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
My meta is completely unchanged. Granted, most of us haven't played long and most players where still learning during mk2, so most players wheren't bitter about the mk2 meta or angry about faction changes, but excited to try new stuff. We haven't gotten any new players in a while, though, which is a shame.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

S.J. posted:

Summer time is always annoying for getting people to show up.

Our store is the opposite, we have some kids and some adult teachers who are much more regular in the summer.

Fyrbrand posted:

I'd be more interested in Guildball if it wasn't for the "gently caress PP play a real game" kind of vibe I get from some players of it. More importantly, I just don't care for the looks of any of the teams or whatever. My mandollies have to be pretty pretty mandollies for me to be interested. :allears:

I get that vibe too but I still want to buy fishermans. I just want my new menoth shinies more.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Our meta here is stable, but the only miniatures game with any real momentum is X-Wing.
I kinda want to get into that myself, but the most active player around here is a huge rear end in a top hat.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Afaik theres been no real +/- for players here. One guy's selling his cryx for financial reasons, but I think that's the only reason he is. Mk3 is good and cool.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I hear that. We have a couple of toxic dudes in our meta that go out of their way to poison the Warmachine well around here. It's frustrating as hell. You can play your dumb steampunk football, let us have our dumb steampunk robots.

Yeah, this makes me feel like an rear end about the time I was having a discussion with a grog and my response to "Star Fleet Battles is the best balanced game of all time" was just derisive laughter. On secon thought no because grog and Star Fleet Battle.

I'm the guy who'd still enjoy playing WFB if I had people to play against and actively dislike the "let's watch GW burn" crowd. Anytime the hobby loses a game as big as 40K it's a huge loss. That's part of the reason why RPGs are struggling a bit-- D&D is being kept on life support at best and Paizo/Pathfinder is doing it's best to be mid 90s White Wolf. I'd rather see more shops and more gamers, even if they're playing a bunch of games I;m not much of a fan of like 40K. And I'll nth that the stupid game warrior stuff of Warmachine vs. Warhammer kept me away from PP stuff just as much as Pathfinder vs. D&D soured me to Paizo stuff.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

We've got a big group still playing and making plans for WarMachine Weekend.

A couple of us picked up Guild Ball but as far as I know, it's mostly those of us with a skirmish game addiction. Plus a couple of my D&D friends who never really played WMH in the first place.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't really want GW to burn but if they insist on shooting themselves in the foot to heal their previous bullet wounds well I guess I'm going to grab popcorn

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Wizard Styles posted:

Our meta here is stable, but the only miniatures game with any real momentum is X-Wing.
I kinda want to get into that myself, but the most active player around here is a huge rear end in a top hat.

X-wing is a very sneaky game. It's very combo heavy and they hide upgrade cards for ships in seperate purchases so in order to get all the cards you need you have to buy like 10 ships you won't use. If they'd release the cards in a deck I'd be much more excited for the game.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I get that vibe too but I still want to buy fishermans. I just want my new menoth shinies more.

Counterpoint: masons way cooler.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

GoodBee posted:

We've got a big group still playing and making plans for WarMachine Weekend.

Gah, I wanna go back to Warmachine Weekend. I went to the first one when it was being held at Metagames and never made it back. Won my only coin there. Stupid friends getting married, eating up all my vacation time.

albany academy posted:

Mk3 is good and cool.

Yup.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 12, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

gannyGrabber posted:

X-wing is a very sneaky game. It's very combo heavy and they hide upgrade cards for ships in seperate purchases so in order to get all the cards you need you have to buy like 10 ships you won't use. If they'd release the cards in a deck I'd be much more excited for the game.
Yeah, FFG's expansion models for everything that's not a board game are pretty lovely, be it CCGs, the announced Star Wars TCG or selling general use cards bundled with faction-specific ships in X-Wing.
Of course, X-Wing is still a lot cheaper than WMH. But apart from the cost issue, X-Wing's release system is also to some extent keeping me from getting into the game because it's chaotic, in the sense that it's hard to figure out what expansions I'd need to get both the ships and cards I'd want for a list.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The expansion model for LCGs is fine. you know exactly what you get in a pack, and you get a complete set of everything in the pack

the real problem is in their core sets

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 12, 2016

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Gah, I wanna go back to Warmachine Weekend. I went to the first one when it was being held at Metagames and never made it back. Won my only coin there. Stupid friends getting married, eating up all my vacation time.

I've never been. And it's been a couple of years since I've been to GenCon or any big tournament. Maybe I'll go this year and embarrass myself with terrible list building and no strategy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't really want GW to burn but if they insist on shooting themselves in the foot to heal their previous bullet wounds well I guess I'm going to grab popcorn

I want GW to burn, but it's not (entirely) because their games are garbage; it's mostly because their business model for the last quarter century (or longer, but I'm not old enough to remember past that) has consisted of gouging, making GBS threads on, and/or suing their fans.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

The expansion model for LCGs is fine. you know exactly what you get in a pack, and you get a complete set of everything in the pack

the real problem is in their core sets
Yeah, fair enough. Tbh I'm not sure if the expansions always give you full playsets, but if they do there's no problem.
Having to buy two or even three core sets for most of these games really sucks, tough.

e: I don't think I'll ever understand why there aren't expansions that combine with core sets to leave you with playsets of every core card.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 12, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I want GW to burn up to the point that they pull their heads out of their asses and hand over handling of their games to someone who is competent and then just stick to fluff and modeling. I still enjoy their models and their fluff was good at one point and maybe if they weren't making dumb rulesets and paid money to fiction writers instead they'd get back to where they were.

I play AoS all the time but it's a trash game. I'd like to play Orcs and Goblins and Undead and whatever in a competent system. Well, in addition to KoW which is probably the best pure ruleset out there for tabletop wargaming.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, fair enough. Tbh I'm not sure if the expansions always give you full playsets, but if they do there's no problem.

they do. the only time they don't include multiple copies of a card is if it's a limit-one deal or part of a pod (conquest is the best example because a lot of the packs have new warlords in them and they come with their little pod plus full 3-of playsets of 17 other cards)

poo poo in netrunner you get playsets of the.....personalities? the card that determines deck identity/ability, and you can only use one copy of that.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, FFG's expansion models for everything that's not a board game are pretty lovely, be it CCGs, the announced Star Wars TCG or selling general use cards bundled with faction-specific ships in X-Wing.
Of course, X-Wing is still a lot cheaper than WMH. But apart from the cost issue, X-Wing's release system is also to some extent keeping me from getting into the game because it's chaotic, in the sense that it's hard to figure out what expansions I'd need to get both the ships and cards I'd want for a list.

Having bought into xwing, I don't know if it is actually cheaper. If you have faction ADD or just buy cool units probably not. But if you are the type to slow grow into a 75 point list and stick with one or two casters until you KNOW them I think the two games are a wash. But you can easily spend a small fortune chasing the dragon on X-wing when very good cards are only obtainable by buying $70+ dollar ships that 95% of players will never use.

As far as our local meta I am really excited. I somehow managed to hook two new players in, in the last two to three months. One guy probably will wash out as I just dont think he has an army that identifies with him. But the other guy was someone who came.up to look at my models while I was waiting for a game. He just started asking questions and seemed reallly thrilled about giant murder elephants. So I told him to come walk with me through the store and I'd give him a rundown of all the different factions. I didn't say, hey these guys are really strong or these guys are the best or other grognard poo poo. I just appealed to his sense of interest in the game over all. These are your druid faction, but they gave cool things like the werewolves Twilight wishes they had, and these are the undead lich pirates with robots. Dude looked like a kid in a candy shop, it was so cool.

Couple weeks go by and I didn't see him again. Then, he comes up to me on our 0 point tournament and says hi. I felt terrible that I didnt rememeber his name, but he told me thanks for introducting him to the game :3: and that he has chosen Khador.

Earlier this week I found out that dude has gone all in and has a conquest in order. I couldn't be happier.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

waah posted:

Having bought into xwing, I don't know if it is actually cheaper. If you have faction ADD or just buy cool units probably not. But if you are the type to slow grow into a 75 point list and stick with one or two casters until you KNOW them I think the two games are a wash. But you can easily spend a small fortune chasing the dragon on X-wing when very good cards are only obtainable by buying $70+ dollar ships that 95% of players will never use.

As far as our local meta I am really excited. I somehow managed to hook two new players in, in the last two to three months. One guy probably will wash out as I just dont think he has an army that identifies with him. But the other guy was someone who came.up to look at my models while I was waiting for a game. He just started asking questions and seemed reallly thrilled about giant murder elephants. So I told him to come walk with me through the store and I'd give him a rundown of all the different factions. I didn't say, hey these guys are really strong or these guys are the best or other grognard poo poo. I just appealed to his sense of interest in the game over all. These are your druid faction, but they gave cool things like the werewolves Twilight wishes they had, and these are the undead lich pirates with robots. Dude looked like a kid in a candy shop, it was so cool.

Couple weeks go by and I didn't see him again. Then, he comes up to me on our 0 point tournament and says hi. I felt terrible that I didnt rememeber his name, but he told me thanks for introducting him to the game :3: and that he has chosen Khador.

Earlier this week I found out that dude has gone all in and has a conquest in order. I couldn't be happier.

im going to come into a decent amount of store credit next week and its gonna take a lot of willpower to not order a fuckin mountain/glacier king just so i can have one so good for him

good for him

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Let's do it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

im going to come into a decent amount of store credit next week and its gonna take a lot of willpower to not order a fuckin mountain/glacier king just so i can have one so good for him

good for him

Do iiitt.

I got a few amazon gift cards from my friend for my.birthday so I all of a sudden have a Siege Animantarax. I decided to save the rest to put towards a Hyde instead of going full hilarious double murder turtles

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Realistically I will order Horgle and Hoarluk and another slag troll for this fifty point list I want to run against my managers mercs

I got a plan, man

Edit maybe Calandra because I feel like her fear is Real Good

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 12, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

good for him

Our last food machine tournament was run by one of our PGs who is kinda nuts. There were a total of 6 prizes for stuff. 2 of them were theme list armies, including one that had 2 glacier kings.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Khisanth Magus posted:

Our last food machine tournament was run by one of our PGs who is kinda nuts. There were a total of 6 prizes for stuff. 2 of them were theme list armies, including one that had 2 glacier kings.

holy dickballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Realistically I will order Horgle and Hoarluk and another slag troll for this fifty point list I want to run against my managers mercs

I got a plan, man

Edit maybe Calandra because I feel like her fear is Real Good

Horgle is a bit of a goof. He is awesome with Pyre Trolls but not as good with Slags. Boosted attack damage rolls for 1 fury ain't bad on an AOE3. Him, 1x Pyre Troll and a unit of Fire Eaters is only 20pts, which is a pretty nasty little harassing force. Assault spray Fire Eaters, Pyre Troll animus and charge in with 2 fury still to boost. 2x initials at a power 14 isn't amazing, but it does damage and then you have a pissed off Pyre Troll in their midst that sets things on fire as it dies.

Calandra is very good. Befuddle absolutely anything since you sit at 8 Fury and can reroll whatever you want. Move closer, butt face, easy charge target or even better, Highwaymen + Braylen for 22x RNG 8 attacks that roll 3 dice and all 1's and 2's get rerolled. And Braylen is even sitting at a power 12 and not a Pow 10 like her lackies. Only problem is that Highwaymen are medium bases and getting everything into position can be a bit tough. Bullet Dodger and Star-Crossed are amazing together (and apart), Soothing Song is fantastic for running hot and a spell to knock things down. One of the best spell lists i've seen on a Warlock.

If I was recommending stuff to a new player, Calandra, Madrak2 and Ragnar would be the 3x Warlocks i'd recommend. Enough variety there to cover any army you want to run.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 12, 2016