Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The Wii U is definitively a failure because what kind of pants can you even fit the controller in? None of the pants.

That's why with the NX they're taking the revolutionary step of giving a pair of pants to everyone who buys the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
what kind of pants are you wearing that you can't fit a wii u inside your pocket? mine can easily and comfortably store a wii u console and gamepad with a selection of my favorite games

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rumored follow-up to the NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 seemingly cancelled.

No need to push their gaming tablet now that they're involved in Nintendo's gaming tablet?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rastor posted:

Rumored follow-up to the NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 seemingly cancelled.

No need to push their gaming tablet now that they're involved in Nintendo's gaming tablet?
I dunno about no need but it's possible that they can't afford to sell anything else at a loss right now because they supposedly gave Nintendo a crazy good deal on the GPU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm surprised nobody posted about the new patent today, which was detachable controllers that theoretically need no power and no internal electronics to work.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

greatn posted:

I'm surprised nobody posted about the new patent today, which was detachable controllers that theoretically need no power and no internal electronics to work.

So it runs on pixie dust?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jsor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(listening_device)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nintendo has literally uses dark magic to win the console war, epic.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PBS Newshour posted:

Nintendo has literally uses dark magic to win the console war, epic.

And all it took was a sacrifice...

Please understand.

Iwata's final gift, directly to you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

IR on the device itself scans and sees if the button is in the way or not. It's similar to how the extra add on stick for the og 3ds worked, by clipping onto point blank range. That device has internal electronics and runs off a single AAA battery to send data over the IR port for like a really long time, but these would use IR to detect button presses or stick movements without broadcasting fro the controller. I can't really explain it well but basically you could make any kind of shell controller you wanted with any configuration and the game or device software would handle it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

greatn posted:

IR on the device itself scans and sees if the button is in the way or not. It's similar to how the extra add on stick for the og 3ds worked, by clipping onto point blank range. That device has internal electronics and runs off a single AAA battery to send data over the IR port for like a really long time, but these would use IR to detect button presses or stick movements without broadcasting fro the controller. I can't really explain it well but basically you could make any kind of shell controller you wanted with any configuration and the game or device software would handle it.

I was joking before but no this really is dark magic

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't that require line of sight to play?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

greatn posted:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Patter Song posted:

Wouldn't that require line of sight to play?

Yes, but you literally hook the controllers onto the device at point blank range.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Yes, but you literally hook the controllers onto the device at point blank range.

I think the question that is being asked is, what about when you detach said controllers and use them the way you would normal video game controllers?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sure but aren't you supposed to be able to clip both pieces together into one controller while the base unit sits in the dock for tv play? How would that work?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who knows. Nintendo patents a lot of stuff they never make into a consumer product. Eurogamer could,be partially wrong or,the patent could be for so,etching else entirely

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sure but aren't you supposed to be able to clip both pieces together into one controller while the base unit sits in the dock for tv play? How would that work?

There is RFID technology for passing electricity without wires like the boxes you put in cars to automatically pay tolls.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xanthan posted:

CD based backdoor was the failure. Or that one Action Replay demo disc that let you boot up burned games. That was the Dreamcast, right?

You don't need an Action Replay to play burned discs on a Dreamcast. All you need is a burned disc*.

*Some games required an additional boot disc.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Assuming what we've heard so far about the controller is accurate, my guess is that the way it works is that when the controllers are attached, they use this point-blank method, to save on battery life, and because actual contacts can corrode or be a point of failure or some other reason. When the controllers are detached from the main unit and hooked together, then they switch over to something that has more range but more drain.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

jivjov posted:

Ah, but s.i.r.e. is not saying the Wii U was a financial failure. They have stated, repeatedly, that the Wii U was a TOTAL failure. Failed on all possible levels.

Oh gently caress off

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Please don't quote s.i.r.e or stux

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

I'm eager for a whole new round of people mistaking the patent designs for the final product.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Do we have any of the pictures of the speculative controllers for the Revolution and whatever the gently caress the Wii U's code name was? It'd be interesting to compare those to the final product.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

whatever the gently caress the Wii U's code name was?

It was either Stream or Café.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People keep saying GameCube had a gimmick and for the life of me I can't figure out what it was other than being purple and having a comfortable controller

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

eightpole posted:

People keep saying GameCube had a gimmick and for the life of me I can't figure out what it was other than being purple and having a comfortable controller

the handle

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The gimmick was that it was secretly the best console of the 6th generation

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The gimmick was that it was secretly the best console of the 6th generation

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

eightpole posted:

idiots consider the cube shape a gimmick

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Its gimmick was being loving indestructable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The GameCube's gimmick was that unlike the N64 it didn't have giant glaring flaws and was very well set up to hold its own against the PS2. Competence was the gimmick. Unfortunately Microsoft was worried people would use PS2s to browse the internet instead of a WebTV so they built their own console that would let you play better-looking versions of multiplats that effectively cut the GameCube's opening in half.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well and the other unfortunate thing was Nintendo chose a proprietary tiny DVD, did not properly court some major western developers, and has less controller button inputs than the others which made ports a little more difficult sometimes.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I always thought the gamecube's primary gimmick was the tiny discs that still let me play the Best Resident Evil Ever, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Smash Bros Melee, and Mario Kart Double Dash. Goddamn I loved this system.

The other gimmick was "get poo poo on by the PS2 but still have ardent gamers writing fanfiction about it a decade later".

TheScott2K posted:

The GameCube's gimmick was that unlike the N64 it didn't have giant glaring flaws and was very well set up to hold its own against the PS2.

The GameCube was never well set up to hold its own against the PS2 because it was a traditional console follow-up to the N64.

The N64 years pretty much cemented Nintendo's reputation regarding third party support on their consoles, and its something that still pesters them to this day even after the Wii basically had everyone ever wanting to make games for it during its run. Sony was riding high off the PSOne's explosive success, and the developers who found success there were more that willing to follow Sony into the PS2. On the other hand, Nintendo spent the N64 years watching many of the biggest developers it once had in its stable turn their back on them, either because of grievances with Nintendo or because Sony offered greener pastures. It had big hits, unique and super awesome games you couldn't get anywhere else, but the PSOne's hits ultimately were more numerous, and were backed by tons of third party support overall.

In retrospect this is another excellent way to show off just how monumental a gently caress up the PS3 started out as. They basically owned the industry for better or worse in their first two console generations, and they pissed it all away with the PS3 to be forced to scrap it out for second place.

The decision to forego full DVDs may have also hurt the GameCube in some way, since a loooooot of people used their PS2 to play DVDs as well as videogames. The storage size also appealed to some of the bigger developers that made the PS2 the success it was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Whatever, GameCube got Madden just like everyone else. The PS2 coming with a free DVD player was a much bigger deal.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The gamecube's gimmick was its amazing industrial design.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of think GTA 3 and Vice City were the killers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eightpole posted:

That controller is to this day the most comfortable controller my hands have ever held.
The dual shock 4 is also pretty nice though (I still hate those button inputs being shapes and suck at any game that requires you to press them for quicktime events0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

• Locked thread