Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

..btt posted:

Yeah, I meant from a user's perspective it works basically the same. Obviously it wasn't even a true 3D engine - you couldn't look directly up and down for example.

I don't think whether it's the default or in the menus is particularly relevant, especially for quake - in the early versions you could barely do anything without touching the console, I remember having to use various console commands to load maps and set up LAN matches.

My original post was that WSAD+Mouse wasn't standard. I'd hardly call an a variable that needs to either be thrown into the autoexec.cfg file or entered into the console at startup as standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah, it wasn't standard until probably 1998, and even then you had people playing all kinds of hosed up ways because they didn't like WASD + mouse.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TomR posted:

Yeah, it wasn't standard until probably 1998, and even then you had people playing all kinds of hosed up ways because they didn't like WASD + mouse.

System Shock 2 was released in late 1999 and still didn't ship with WSAD controls by default. By that point mouselook was generally enabled by default however. I don't think WSAD was fully adopted by just about everyone until ~2000.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

My original post was that WSAD+Mouse wasn't standard.

Yep, mouse3 (i.e. middle button, this was before mousewheels) was the default forward button back then, and z+x were strafe buttons. Then you bound space or something else close to zx to go back because defaults had no setting except down cursor. I played FPSes like this until the late 00s.

Also, yeah, a lot of people played doom etc on keyboards, and they were terrible at fragging for obvious reasons :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
1998 was the year gaben graced us with Half-Life, forever cementing WASD supremacy.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

1998 was the year gaben graced us with Half-Life, forever cementing WASD supremacy.

though evidently he uses ESDF like a weirdo.

Gotta be honest, my Oculus is gathering some dust until Touch comes out. A lot of this has to do with me not having a real great spot for my PC yet - this is my first gaming PC and I'm kind of shuffling it around my house until I figure out a good solution - but I kind of feel like I've played what there is to play and so many things that I'm missing out on need hands.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Imagine I posted the review of the Alien game where it's eviscerated for it's "unusable control scheme" (which was widely panned at the time) and is now completely standard for every FPS you can control with a controller.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

SwissCM posted:

My original post was that WSAD+Mouse wasn't standard. I'd hardly call an a variable that needs to either be thrown into the autoexec.cfg file or entered into the console at startup as standard.

Fair point, though I never met anyone using the default controls for quake, they were completely unusable, even in single player.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Any of you guys that have The Solus Project have it launch SteamVR even when you select Oculus mode? It's making me think it's using OpenVR and I'm just wondering.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Gear VR trip report: holy hell, does the lack of positional tracking do a number on my stomach. Like, so bad that moving my head around in the Netflix app is enough to cause problems. Anyone who's used one extensively: am I likely to get my "VR legs" by using it enough?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Gear VR trip report: holy hell, does the lack of positional tracking do a number on my stomach. Like, so bad that moving my head around in the Netflix app is enough to cause problems. Anyone who's used one extensively: am I likely to get my "VR legs" by using it enough?

I don't have a GearVR but I don't get motion sick from any sort of movement in VR but not having positional tracking does make my stomach drop. I can't really handle it for too long.

edit: IOW having VR legs doesn't necessarily mean you can handle the lack of positional tracking, since they are sort of the opposite. Most people get sick in VR when the world moves and their body isn't. Not having positional tracking means you move and the world doesn't.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 12, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I think it sort of depends on how you use it. I think it has some basic IK so if you don't move your head around too much and keep your shoulders still and just move your head/neck, it'll subtly move around and fake it a bit. I usually only use the void theater in Netflix and that might make a difference as well.

I think "VR legs" is probably generally a myth so if you don't feel great using it I wouldn't push it. I think you're more likely to make it worse for yourself do to negative reinforcement.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Generally it's beat to train yourself to not move your head positiin too much

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So, New Retro Arcade Neon

You might remember there was a free New Retro Arcade that was Oculus DK2 compatible, and people really liked it, but it broke with the CV and wasn't Vive compatible. The hook here is that it is a VR arcade that operates as a front-end for an emulator, so you can walk around your arcade in 3d and play all your retro games (anything that works on MAME or any of the libretto emulator .dlls)

This is the "retail" version of that, and it is compatible with both Oculus CV and the Vive. The thing is, the old free version came pre-packaged with a bunch of ROMs and copyrighted music and all sorts of stuff and it just worked. The Neon version tends to have TERRIBLE reviews because for copyright reasons they can't prepackage it with roms or copyrighted art or any of that. So people bought it expecting to play old games right out of the box and then nothing worked and they got pissed and posted a negative review. Plus it is kind of buggy and crash-prone, especially if you feed it a bad rom or some corrupted cabinet art.

BUT

if you like to tinker around with poo poo and don't mind spending a little time getting all your stuff working and laying out your perfect arcade, and you have some nostalgia for actual arcades, this poo poo is AWESOME

So here's what some of my setup looks like. These are taken out of VR (you can play it that way too) but everything looks just as nice in VR:

what it looks like stepping into my arcade

have some delicious Diet Pepi while you play Q-bert

more games

There's also skee-ball and bowling that aren't great but work in a "toss things at things" kind of way. All this poo poo you see in the environment like soda cans and whatnot can be picked up and tossed around

there is this radio for background music. It plays a bunch of streaming stations that you can edit into whatever you want. There's also tapes you can find scattered around. In the old version those had copyrighted music on them, but here they are just more streaming radio stations. But you can always edit them and put The Final Countdown back on loop if you want.

every lovely arcade should have Whack a Mole

the new update today added this sweet bar area upstairs. Yes, you can throw all those bottles around

bar area has room for more game cabinets. Right now it's more of my usual up here but since this is the adult area, maybe I'll install some racy poo poo like CUSTER'S REVENGE

there's a theater area that will let you play youtubes or local files but it is REALLY buggy right now and a lot of things don't work on it

in the back there's a VIP room with air hockey and darts

and the back room has a lovely TV and a generic console for all your console emulation needs

you don't have to play your console games on the console TV, though. I fuckin love Punch Out, so I made it into an arcade cabinet.

there's also Gameboys sitting around that you can put games on. Surprise, the emulation is a little buggy and flaky, but cool looking when it works

there's also the "classic" setup instead of the "neon" setup which kind of has everything in one room and less bells and whistles. It's less cool in my opinion unless you really want your lovely console game area to be in the main arcade, but it's nice that they left it in as an option.

So, that's New Retro Arcade Neon. I don't think this is for everyone, you have to have a shitload of patience and tolerance for setting everything up and getting things just right and then figuring out which loving rom is crashing everything, etc. I probably spent 5-6 hours putting this together as it is (although a lot of that was editing some of my own cabinet and marquee art). But if you like to tinker with poo poo like this and think a VR arcade sounds dope, check it out. I think it's awesome.

Oh, it apparently has multiplayer too, but for copyright reasons it won't show your custom roms and art to the other players. But you could all mill around together and play skee-ball or whatever.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 13, 2016

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Regarding how WASD came to be used, we can apparently thank Thresh, of Quake fame for making it the most popular choice.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-wasd-became-the-standard-pc-control-scheme/

Maybe we won't see one for VR until they start doing tournaments with it.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Well, I tried AltSpace VR tonight with a gamepad, and even though it was a stuttery, skippy mess I didn't puke or really feel noticeably nauseous. Still not fond of looking in a direction other than the one I'm moving in, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KZBhrksbk

Next-level immersion.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any rumours on when the good HMD's come out ie second gen ? Trying to decide when to build a new gaming PC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For Oculus and HTC possibly a year or two. No idea when other manufacturers will bring theirs out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

jonathan posted:

Any rumours on when the good HMD's come out ie second gen ? Trying to decide when to build a new gaming PC.

There has been zero rumors and Sony hasn't even brought out there first-gen yet. It's anyone's guess but I'd guess that unless you want to be without your new gaming PC for the next year at least you might as well build it for not-VR now. It will probably handle VR just fine when the second gens come out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

jonathan posted:

I doubt it will be any time soon. There are a few rumors on a version 1.5 with maybe better design or a few new features, but I doubt we'll be seeing a new generation of HMDs with higher resolutions and similar until late 2017 at the earliest. All but the most powerful PCs already struggle with the current gen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's really no point in even thinking about building a machine for gen2 right now. For gen 2 to be worth it, we need more resolution and more FOV. If it was possible to do right now, HTC and Oculus probably would have done it. Anything that comes out any time soon is probably going to have the same resolution as the Rift and Vive in order to function in those environments. With the obvious exception of something like StarVR but they are going for a different market it seems. It would be really dumb for a company to try to reinvent the wheel and do their own thing right now. We've already got games being sold on Oculus and Steam and people are already upset about that. Asking someone to support a third thing is probably a big ask. With the exception of eye tracking, I think this is where we're at until we wait long enough for component manufacturers to make better screens. Trying to make money off hardware isn't very lucrative seeing as Oculus claims to take a loss for every rift and who knows if HTC is making anything off the Vive. If someone can't bring their own store into the mix and make money off software, there's really no point in them making a headset unless it has a crazy gimmick like StarVR or Fove (is that even a thing still?).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone should remake Dactyl Nightmare for modern headsets

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, so basically I'll just hold onto this i5 2400/gtx 960 for another yeah or two. I don't really care about games but I'd really like to build a sim racing rig once the standards and spec wars have been ironed out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

someone should remake Dactyl Nightmare for modern headsets

Second time I've posted that someone did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9fwmZ-XmM

http://theriftarcade.com/market/downloads/dactyl-nightmare-2-0-old-school-vr/

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I do know Razer is beefing up their VR department massively in SF, so we'll see if they try to get a premium headset going, or if they're just going to do Hydra 2.0 for the current headsets.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Have Razer ever actually made a premium product in the past? The most I've ever seen from them is flashy but cheap stuff.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Wait, the game from that one episode of Freakazoid was an actual game?!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now do it wit hVive compat :qq:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My kingdom for more VR space games especially Freespace 2

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any suggestions for Vive horror games? I really wish Outlast supported VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Have Razer ever actually made a premium product in the past? The most I've ever seen from them is flashy but cheap stuff.

All of their stuff is pretty flashy, but they're not bad products for the most part.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

My kingdom for more VR space games especially Freespace 2

Actually this reminds me: how's EVE: Valkyrie?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not what you'd want it to be.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I finally had my first experience on an Obvious after having used Vive since release. It's definitely lighter, didn't like the light gap in the nose because it kept distracting me, really wanted to walk around/duck in some demo games, the Mario-clone game felt eh, kept having to shift my head in a different direction and hitting the reset-head button.

Overall, it's easier to just set up and launch games, but in contrast, the Vive feels way more innovative and immersive.

It's like Mac VS PC, Apple makes Mac just work so people can point and click. PC gives you options to modify and delve into complex options if you have the patience and skill to do so.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
So I posted in the Vive thread that my apartment burned down and took my Vive (and really everything else. I really miss my cat.) with it. I've been almost exactly a month without virtual reality. I probably used my Vive for 2-3 hours every 2-3 days. It felt like a worthwhile purchase, but like I had maybe lost real interest. It was still very cool, but it had lost that "new and cool" feeling.

I ordered another Vive last night. I am so loving excited to be back in VR again. It feels like mobile computing or something; it's something I can't really live without access to without feeling like something's missing, now that I'm used to having it. Even if I'm not staring at my phone, there's something comfortable and "right" feeling about being able to whip it out and be on the web or in contact with other people. VR has kind of been cemented in my mind that, at least for me, it's one of those kinds of technologies. That I'm just going to have it in my life from now on. I don't think the price is quite there yet, but if you can get it to a place that people think of as affordable, and deliver the kind of presence moments that the modern headsets released so far can deliver, this tech is going to become ubiquitous. If you're on the fence about whether or not your headset (or maybe just Vive? Roomscale feels distinct to me, and I'm excited as gently caress for Oculus buyers to get their hands on Touch and roomscale software, it's like putting a headset on for the first time, you'll get that "holy poo poo I was just totally convinced I was here" presence moment on a new level), put it someplace you can't get it for a month.

I probably sound like a "true believer" crazy person, or some kind of addict, but VR is really really cool and I'm hype about getting to use it again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Actually this reminds me: how's EVE: Valkyrie?

It's crap. Not dishing on Oculus or anything but god drat :ccp: is bad at this videogame poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

It's crap. Not dishing on Oculus or anything but god drat :ccp: is bad at this videogame poo poo.

Cojawfee posted:

Not what you'd want it to be.

i find myself slightly disappointed but utterly unsurprised

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, really thinking about picking up either the Rift or Vive for my mancave. How is it for multimedia experiences such as movies or watching sporting events? A close second use will be for flight sims (also, which works best?)

Is a 1070 or 1080 plus 16gb really a difference maker over a 970 and 8gb, assuming all else equal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I like mine a lot, really looking forward to the touch controllers for experience parity with the vive.

Setting that aside, for the use cases you're describing I think it is the best headset. I regularly use mine for the same plus vr games made for the rift and other games - mostly fps - using vorpx.

I went with a 1070 for the additional performance headroom and it's made a difference in smoothness.