Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
This fight is either gonna be real predictable or real depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

kensei posted:

How is Bendo/Pettis FROM YOUR AVATAR not in your top 5?
If we are being real it is probably in there instead of Khabib suplexathon. And Machida/Shogun I (sans decision) is probably in instead of maybe the Grice bermudez fight. IDK. I love fights.

The Showtime Kick is my all time favorite moment though. The last minute, of the last round, of the last fight in in WEC history and THAT happens to cap off an amazing competitive fight

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
WEC 53 itself was one long best MMA moment, it started off with like a then unknown Renan Barao catching somebody in a choke in a minute and then Eddie Wineland winning a fight by slamming a guy unconscious. It's quietly one of the best MMA cards ever

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A lot of the latter WEC cards were really punching above their weight in terms of entertainment value.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bubba Smith posted:

WEC 53 itself was one long best MMA moment, it started off with like a then unknown Renan Barao catching somebody in a choke in a minute and then Eddie Wineland winning a fight by slamming a guy unconscious. It's quietly one of the best MMA cards ever

I was sad when the UFC DMCA'd it off YouTube. I remember fondly the IRC explosion when the kick happened, it was magical.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
HE JUMPED OFF THE CAGE LIKE A NINJA

I can't think of a better call during a fight than that

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Magny being hidden down on fightpass is bs.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Magny being hidden down on fightpass is bs.

It's good, and probably better for Magny, really.

Reminder that Magny vs Lombard is a hellaciously good fight.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 12, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
they must be compensating the people headlining the fightpass prelims like no tomorrow. if i was cub or kawajiri fighting on the loving early prelims on a card the quality (on paper) of last week i'd be on a loudspeaker phone call with bellator in dana's office while signing the contract.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's retarded that Browne is getting a shot a big name after being brutalised by Cain but it's loving awesome that Werdum is going to brutalise Browne.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's retarded that Browne is getting a shot a big name after being brutalised by Cain but it's loving awesome that Werdum is going to brutalise Browne.

he had nothing the first time but maybe eddie t has taught him more and he will lose even quicker this time

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

It's good, and probably better for Magny, really.

Reminder that Magny vs Lombard is a hellaciously good fight.

It's always going to be real high on my list of favourite fights because I had a bit of money on Magny, doubled it during the walkout, and was watching it live in a very pro Lombard venue. It went from nerve wracking to incredible.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
WEC 53 was the greatest event ever

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Erik Koch is injured again and can't fight Drew Dober, again, so chalk another one up for those wacky guys over at Roufusport.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
speaking of WEC the most overlooked good fight aside from Santiago/Misaki is Hominick/Jabouin from one of the late WEC cards. the fight is completely nuts, and it's one the same card where Wineland ratcheted up the best finish ever: straight right to the body tko.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I was going to ask if Browne was the one everyone enjoys seeing the poo poo beat out of but the next 15 posts confirmed it. I'm catching on to this stuff!

This is the best thing ever. :3:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

I was going to ask if Browne was the one everyone enjoys seeing the poo poo beat out of but the next 15 posts confirmed it. I'm catching on to this stuff!

This is the best thing ever. :3:

Cody McKenzie helped with a lot of laughs:

- the potato chip staredown
- the wal-mart tag on his shorts
- the "I guess I need to work on my guillotine defence" TUF moment

He had a great guillotine but I'll always remember him as the not always intentionally funniest UFC fighter.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 12, 2016

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

manyak posted:

Overeem is a bad matchup for Stipe and should probably be a favorite to beat him, and then in classic fashion will lose the belt immediately to Ben rothwell or whomever

i thought stipe was a tough matchup for overeem since he's big, athletic, durable, and can setup takedowns w/strikes, but i haven't really analyzed him much. what about his game makes you think he'll have trouble stylistically?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

i thought stipe was a tough matchup for overeem since he's big, athletic, durable, and can setup takedowns w/strikes, but i haven't really analyzed him much. what about his game makes you think he'll have trouble stylistically?

heavyweight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

It's also the rematch of a funny beatdown. It was basically 15 minutes of this:

I'm pretty sure there was also a part where Werdum pointed at the ground, Browne looked and then Werdum kicked him in the head.

Edit: 25 minutes! I think this fight made Werdum a lot of fans.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 12, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

TastyAvocado posted:

You were right the first time, it was 15 minutes of the funny good stuff and then 10 minutes of hot garbage. That's why I was instantly upset about this rematch until I remembered this fight is only the comain so we won't have the dreaded fourth and fifth rounds to watch Browne ineffectually do nothing against gassed Werdum.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
Browne isn't going to fall for werdum's cowardly pranks this time

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

Browne isn't going to fall for werdum's cowardly pranks this time

I would guess he'll fall for a head kick.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I'm probably forgetting one, but has Browne ever had a boring fight? The worst I can think of is the werdum one and even that was pretty good, just too long

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TastyAvocado posted:

It's also the rematch of a funny beatdown. It was basically 15 minutes of this:

I'm pretty sure there was also a part where Werdum pointed at the ground, Browne looked and then Werdum kicked him in the head.

Werdum didn't point at the ground. He told Browne that his shoe was untied.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That entire fight was good what are you people talking about?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

manyak posted:

Also remember in the days before the ascension of the c.uck meme when people on here would make weird posts like "Overeem kicks rear end and you would HAVE to let him gently caress your girlfriend!" and then Overeem entered the UFC and ruined their fantasy by losing to Travis Browne, Bigfoot Silva, Ben rothwell -- a murderer';s row of guys that you would not get pleasure out of watching gently caress your girlfriend

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That entire fight was good what are you people talking about?

I think his point is that if Browne's least exciting and entertaining fight was the Werdum fight, a fight that is by consensus entertaining and exciting, then by and large Browne's fights are consistently entertaining.

I don't remember the Kongo fight being very good.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The Mitrione fight was ugly, it was most memorable for Mitrione's eye getting real nasty from being poked so many times. Everyone looked like poo poo at all times in it otherwise, and it was the worst g&p I can recall in a while.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

vainman posted:

I'm probably forgetting one, but has Browne ever had a boring fight? The worst I can think of is the werdum one and even that was pretty good, just too long

Was the Mitrione fight boring? All I can remember about it is Browne cheating like a motherfucker and then acting like a poo poo at the press conference.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Guys, Browne has a real chance. He now has much more experience beating high level grapplers. I mean he and Ronda have been dating for like a year now right?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man Browne is a real piece of poo poo considering he's been accused of domestic violence! Anywhere here's my hot take on him hitting another woman :roflolmao:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Werdum absolutely coasted the last 2 rounds but it wasnt that bad

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Totally forgot about the mitrione fight, which is probably indicative of how it went

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
browne hurt werdum in the first round and there is a real threat it will happen again

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

vainman posted:

That's because in situations where most fighters conventionally defend themselves, Browne will either

a) attack
b) cheat (Mitrione fight was definitely ugly, but it was also memorable and I wasn't bored by all the cheating)
c) attack in a creative way that looks a lot like it might be cheating, like those elbows to various bits of Barnett's skull when he had him against the fence.

Has he ever fought Struve? I'd like to see which of them is the least effective at being a 10 foot tall striker.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

He punched Struve out of the air in the pseudo-legendary Baby Giraffe Fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mistakinder posted:

That's because in situations where most fighters conventionally defend themselves, Browne will either

a) attack
b) cheat (Mitrione fight was definitely ugly, but it was also memorable and I wasn't bored by all the cheating)
c) attack in a creative way that looks a lot like it might be cheating, like those elbows to various bits of Barnett's skull when he had him against the fence.

Has he ever fought Struve? I'd like to see which of them is the least effective at being a 10 foot tall striker.

He fought Struve ages ago and it was a crazy highlight reel KO for Browne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
poo poo you're right, I think Struve has had so many comedy gold KO's that they all just blur into one and I assume he fought Roy Nelson a few times.

Just went back and watched the KO in question, I guess Struve really is the P4P best waster of natural gifts.

• Locked thread