Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

You guys using an ultrasonic cleaner at all? Bought a fairly entry level one off Amazon and it's been working wonders with some diluted simple green

I tried it, and while I thought it was a great thing at first, it really doesn't seem to make that much of a difference - and I was using Simple Green at full strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Lord Twisted posted:

Cheers mate. I'll get some power spray and a toothbrush and give the big V a bath. I'm just unhappy now that I've got great results airbrushing - he's too much of an iconic model to have a second rate paint job!

I believe that the Fairy recommendation is out of date, certainly the stuff I bought did nothing to paint a while ago, and I think someone said that the formula was changed. Brown Dettol is still the awful smelling answer.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Ultrasonic cleaners are best for airbrushes, right? I'm teetering towards getting one.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm UK based, any alternatives you'd recommend?

Brown Dettol does the trick so long as you don't mind the smell of disinfectant:

The main thing to bear in mind is to not rinse the minis in water until they're well scrubbed and the paint is removed, as it will re-congeal the paint into a horrible mess.

I've had success with it, I tend to put some in a jar with the minis, seal it and put it in the garage for a couple of days. Note it will weaken glue bonds too so some re-assembly will be required.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Quick question: what's the best glue to use for gluing cork to not-cork (plastic, resin, metal)? Maybe something like Gorilla Glue?

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for hardening the surface of the cork so that it's a bit more resilient? (Yes, I'm paranoid about my little guys.) Would the usual Glosscote/Dullcote at the end be enough?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use cork a lot and gel super glue works well to grip it to plastic or resin. PVA is ok, but it takes longer to dry and often doesn't hold as well.

I don't think you really need to reinforce the cork, but if you really wanted to, the easiest way is to mix some PVA with water (1:1) and soak your cork in it. It takes a day to dry, but will harden things up a bit.

Are you worried about it crumbling away?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've used both superglue and PVA to glue cork down, and it only ever comes off occasionally if I'm painting it and didn't use enough glue. Spray primer more or less seals it, but brushing it with watered down PVA couldn't hurt.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Cool, thanks for the advice! The watered-down PVA is a good idea. I'll probably end up using gel superglue on the smaller bits and Gorilla glue on the larger ones, just so things stay in place.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice! The watered-down PVA is a good idea. I'll probably end up using gel superglue on the smaller bits and Gorilla glue on the larger ones, just so things stay in place.

I've been using Gorilla super glue on some cork lately for KoW bases and it's tough as nails. Holds to MDF almost instantly, and I'd have to physically tear models off the cork for them to come off. Highly recommended.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Which color(s) did you use to get just the iridescence?

I used the green / purple / teal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avenging Dentist posted:

Quick question: what's the best glue to use for gluing cork to not-cork (plastic, resin, metal)? Maybe something like Gorilla Glue?

Relatedly, does anyone have ideas for hardening the surface of the cork so that it's a bit more resilient? (Yes, I'm paranoid about my little guys.) Would the usual Glosscote/Dullcote at the end be enough?

The Cyanoacrylate glue I use to assemble my WMH models does a good job at sticking cork to plastic.

Watered down gorilla glue also works wonders in making it resilient. Typically when gluing ballast down, I put down some watered down gorilla, let it dry a bit, then put another coat on top of the ballast, that's when I coat the cork with it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

selnaric posted:

I used the green / purple / teal.

Great, that's the one I ordered. Did you do a full coat or just a light spray over the black?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Frobbe posted:

badly lit picture of my crew progress:

Next up is either a snake or three headed cat.

Crossposting from the malifaux thread. the plastic malifaux models are goddamn amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My Praetor finally has a couple dudes to hang out with, in the form of a squad of Invictus Suzerains. These guys were fun to paint but looking at the photos I feel like I was a little sloppy with em. They look good on the tabletop though!

I also think the lighting might be blowing up too much on all the metallics. These guys redefine "bling"

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

First chance to paint in five months! Got 6 dudes basecoated, and got the pilot base coated. I already had the armored suit that far.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

That hannah is loving amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yeah this is dope as hell.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhhhh! Thanks for the nice words! Coming from my miniature painting goonbros it means a lot.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

That's some real nice weathering

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yours is probably the first non-limited Hannah I've liked.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
ka-chunk ka-chunk.

Man, Vallejo reds are nice to work with. Had a coming to christ moment using Flat Red and Ferrari red for the first time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A question for goons who make molds and casts stuff.
How would I go about making a mold for something like this? I've read Z the IV's post on casting but I'm still fuzzy on the details. I'd like it to work in as few attempts as possible so any advice is appreciated.
The figure is not quite done yet, but the basic shape is there except for the base which will just be a flat disc.

Stuff I have or am getting soon:
2 part 1:1 resin.
RTV Silicone.
Lots of talcum.
Legos.
Clay.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

How would I go about making a mold for something like this? I've read Z the IV's post on casting but I'm still fuzzy on the details. I'd like it to work in as few attempts as possible so any advice is appreciated.
The figure is not quite done yet, but the basic shape is there except for the base which will just be a flat disc.

RTV Silicone.
Lots of talcum.
Legos.
Clay.

Even though it's not specifically terrain the terrain thread will probably be able to help you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570772

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Great, that's the one I ordered. Did you do a full coat or just a light spray over the black?

I did a couple of coats. Being lacquer based the coats dry quickly. I air brushed outside cause that poo poo will melt your brain, and not in a good way.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

RTV Silicone.
Lots of talcum.
Legos.
Clay.

Is the thingy going to be on that white disc?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

dexefiend posted:

First chance to paint in five months! Got 6 dudes basecoated, and got the pilot base coated. I already had the armored suit that far.

Nice work! What is that from?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Nice work! What is that from?

Malifaux.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is the thingy going to be on that white disc?

No, that's just to have a flat surface while I'm sculpting it so things get more symmetrical. I'll attach the thingy to a much smaller disc before trying to make a mold.
Also, it's a 3D token for the ram clan in Blood Rage.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

selnaric posted:

I did a couple of coats. Being lacquer based the coats dry quickly. I air brushed outside cause that poo poo will melt your brain, and not in a good way.

Awesome, thanks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I actually painted these guys a couple weeks ago, but only got around to taking pictures the other day. Here's the second half of my Mk IV Tactical Squad, with their Nuncio Vox I made from a Bastion bit:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool and good blue mandollies.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
How is that kinda gloss but not gloss color popping achieved? Is that by going over with a gloss varnish and following with a matte?

EDIT: Your blue mans look fantastic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool and good blue mandollies.
:respek:

Shadin posted:

How is that kinda gloss but not gloss color popping achieved? Is that by going over with a gloss varnish and following with a matte?

EDIT: Your blue mans look fantastic.

GW's paints have a slightly satiny sheen to them without going full gloss. These guys are just hit with one coat of matte, the only gloss is under the transfers. I think some of the gloss effect might be because my lights are kinda harsh.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeast posted:

ka-chunk ka-chunk.

Man, Vallejo reds are nice to work with. Had a coming to christ moment using Flat Red and Ferrari red for the first time.

rad

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just dropped $215 on art supplies at an art store sale. Maybe I'll get another space marine painted on panel in class instead of painting the actual models.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

RTV Silicone.
Lots of talcum.
Legos.
Clay.

Easy. Get a plastic cup a bit larger than your bit. Next, put some clay on the other side of this (the side with that little dent in the 3rd picture):

Next, stick your bit into the cup with the clay side glued/secured to the bottom of the cup. Your bit will basically be floating at this point. Coat your bit with talcum, mix some silicone, and slowly pour it in from one side. Stick it on a vibrating washer/drier and let it set. When its dry take out the silicone from the cup (you can cut the cup if you need) and remove the clay. You should be able to wiggle out the bit through the hole. If not, use an xacto knife to cut a little line into the top of the mold to make it release easier. Once it's out you have your mold.

This is called a 'sleeve' mold btw. Pretty easy and works for 90% of bits.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm about to start painting a whole bunch of plastic tanks (Battlefront Comets) for Flames of War purposes, but I'm not really a very good painter. I was thinking of just following this guide, but I'm not really one for being able to faff around with thinning paints and stuff for the undercoat. Are there good primer paints that can be applied by regular brushes, or is it only spraypaint/airbrush only?

I think I've gotten most of the other necessities (assorted brushes both flat ones and for detail work, necessary paints for the colour scheme, etc.). I'm hoping to stop by a hobby shop tomorrow, is there anything a neophyte tank painter should keep an eye out for?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm about to start painting a whole bunch of plastic tanks (Battlefront Comets) for Flames of War purposes, but I'm not really a very good painter. I was thinking of just following this guide, but I'm not really one for being able to faff around with thinning paints and stuff for the undercoat. Are there good primer paints that can be applied by regular brushes, or is it only spraypaint/airbrush only?

I think I've gotten most of the other necessities (assorted brushes both flat ones and for detail work, necessary paints for the colour scheme, etc.). I'm hoping to stop by a hobby shop tomorrow, is there anything a neophyte tank painter should keep an eye out for?

Vallejo makes a very wide assortment of airbrush paints that are perfectly fine applied with a brush, but in my opinion airbrush is the better option. When I don't feel like cleaning my airbrush or I have just one mini to prime though, I will use Vallejo Surface Primer on just a regular synthetic brush.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

SRM posted:

:respek:

GW's paints have a slightly satiny sheen to them without going full gloss. These guys are just hit with one coat of matte, the only gloss is under the transfers. I think some of the gloss effect might be because my lights are kinda harsh.

Cool, thanks. I just started painting with GW paints but haven't tried any varnish yet. Grabbed some Vallejo matte and 'ardcoat to test out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The weather where I live sucks for spraying and I don't have an airbrush, so I grabbed the mentioned Vallejo Surface Primer this past weekend and it works awesome going on by brush. I did two thin coats and it seems smooth, durable, and black as the ace of spades.