Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Yep exactly, so I have some home-built wrappers that do both. But can apparently fail on a few edge cases, like this one.
I think Send-As has been rolled into MailboxPermission in 2013 or 2016 schema, but since we still have a few old servers running, the schema is locked to the old one.
In Exchange 2010 it's
Full access: Add-MailboxPermission
Send as: Add-ADPermission
Send on behalf: Set-Mailbox

In Office 365, specifically for send as, you get Add-RecipientPermission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

TO some people being embarrassed is offensive, so pointing out something embarrassing is an attack on their person.

"You cleaned my laptop? Are you trying to imply that I am a slob or something?!?!?!"

Worst people are the ones who bitch regardless - leave their laptop dirty? "It wasn't gross like this when I handed it in! CLEAN IT"
(yes, this is why I take pictures of everything when I get it and before returning)

Or your situation where they get so offended because it looks like they're probably hoarders and don't understand that their laptop is a literal biohazard. Meanwhile any time I get an upgrade, people ask if I even used my stuff because I'm so loving OCD about keeping it clean and functional.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Well just hook it back up to the engine!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

You need to insert more dollars into it to finish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A couple months back we got a new DVR for our security cameras. Runs Avigilon or whatever you call it for software, it's actually pretty slick. We kept all 6 or however many lovely cameras we had from our 7-8 year old security system.

Fast forward a few months, they want to buy another couple cameras for more coverage. The company that sold us the DVR gave us a quote on some cameras including configuration and setup. The owners kid rejected the quote (he picked this company in the first place) and said he didn't want to spend that much money, blah blah. He said I'll just buy the cameras on Amazon and you guys can set them up.

I said they weren't really overcharging us, and when you buy those poo poo cameras on Amazon it's going to take us a couple hours to make sure they're compatible, install their stupid poo poo program to configure them, then try to get them working with the DVR... just let the company do it.

So of course they buy the cheapest shittiest cameras with no instructions, no brand name, drivers on 3.5" mini CD's, half of them don't work out of the box, so it takes my helpdesk guy 3 loving days to get them sort of working. One of them is still lovely half the time and you have to change the settings on it randomly until the picture is viewable.

So today he sends this email:

Hello,

It looks like the new camera just installed is having the same problems as before and as the other one we installed. From what I have been able to find it looks like this is caused by packet loss and could come from many different areas. Could you please look into this? The link below may be helpful to go through the steps. If we cannot figure it out we will just have ot pay a company to do this from now on, but I am glad we tried getting it working on our own first.

Thank you for your help with all this.

http://www.annese.com/blog/what-causes-packet-loss

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LOL that link, wtf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MF_James posted:

LOL that link, wtf

He's just your typical "I googled something so I know all about it now" 27-year old.

One time he told me "Have you ever heard of Linux?"
Uhh yea we have it on a bunch of servers here. I've been using it since like 1999.
"I installed it on my wife's laptop last night, it was cool but it seems really limited."
Well all our websites run on it and it handed $3 million dollars in orders...
"Oh."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
More poo poo that pisses you off: Have you ever heard of Linux?

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

More poo poo that pisses you off: Have you ever heard of Linux?

http://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/jeff-ks-user/

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Our AdTran's making GBS threads itself and we need to power-cycle it like every 20 minutes. ISP tech will be out to replace it "sometime today". A coworker's staying here, so I'm going home.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: Spending half the day outside in the sun playing with dip switches on a control board for the old rear end Air Conditioner. I got it up and running again but I wish I'd brought an extra shirt, it's dripping and I'm all sticky. gently caress this being out of scope of HVAC
:downs: "Nope it's your computer!"
:cool: Program hasn't changed in 2 months haven't touched that mess of code
:downs: Nah the computer! Open panel outside

Dip switches and code lights and hand written notes.

I hate this god drat AC and wish we the company could afford a new one. I'm not sure if you've looked into AC for large warehouse + manufacturing + office but it's expensive, I've seen the quote, it's more than 10 years of IT budget, not that we have a large budget or the AC would come from IT. But you know, comparisons.

I did not sign up for this, but if no one is going to fix the drat AC I'm not going to sit in a hot office all day while my server room is heating up.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

pixaal posted:

not that [...] the AC would come from IT.

:lol: That's some wishful thinking right there.

[X] Does it use energy?
[X] Does it have switches?
[X] Is it a pain in the rear end?

Congratulations!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pixaal posted:

I did not sign up for this, but if no one is going to fix the drat AC I'm not going to sit in a hot office all day while my server room is heating up.

LOL. I would have let the Servers heat up and shut themselves off until there is a ultra panic. If you let them tell you it's your problem then it's your problem forever.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Because you fixed the AC at least once, the AC is now your problem, and you cannot escape. Further issues with AC will be your fault regardless of if you touched the AC recently or not, because "the last time anyone touched the AC box was when pixaal looked at it X days ago, so it must be his fault".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hop on a call at 2:30 today, there's 5 other people on it. No one says a single word. I finally mic up at 2:42, "alright, good meeting" and drop immediately. IT lyfe.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pissing me off: Having my contract ended 3 weeks early because I gave notice, which makes my move much harder.

My wife and I decided a few months back to move to florida, so she could be around some of her elderly family while they get old, and healthcare is supposed to be better there than here is texas. I started job hunting, and she applied to a few places for me, one of which was through my recruiting agency for this contract I was on. They looked me up and saw I was on contract here, contact my recruiter here, who called me and told me I needed to give my notice to complete my contract at the end of Aug(which was already my target date) or they would block helping me out in FL. I assume they would have let the client know anyway so they could replace me. I give my supervisor notice I didn't intend to renew my contract, and explained why, and everything seemed fine.

Today I get a call from the recruiting agency that the client had found a replacement and were ending my contract early, which leaves me short of the money I needed to move and have a place when we get there, pretty tight on money to even survive until the end of the month when we have everything lined up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well that is all round poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hop on a call at 2:30 today, there's 5 other people on it. No one says a single word. I finally mic up at 2:42, "alright, good meeting" and drop immediately. IT lyfe.

I had a call this morning, joined and muted my mic. Meeting ends over 30 minutes later, mic still muted. Hung up without saying a single word.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Moey posted:

I had a call this morning, joined and muted my mic. Meeting ends over 30 minutes later, mic still muted. Hung up without saying a single word.
Love those calls so much! (Unironically)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I was on a conference call last night for some server moves and domain changes. Logged in, said hi (because the PM called me out) and promptly muted. Servers were said to be up and operational, i tested what I needed to, people are talking tho, so I chill. One guy has a bunch of scripts that run off of scheduled tasks and he's hard-coded the FQDN in everything for the servers he's running against. Cue 10 minutes of the migration guys explaining what the issue is (once the guy opened the stuff up), then him loving up changing things on the fly while he has his screen shared but his audio dropped so everyone telling him he's doing it wrong can't be heard, another 5 minutes of jokes, then The Guy gets back on, complains it still doesn't work, they explain again what is wrong. Finally, there was a 10 second pause, I said "Hey guys, I got other work to do" (aka play xcom/supcom) "I tested x, y, and z, it all worked, I'm gonna jump off, have a good night"

I like to think they're still on that call attempting to fix the guys stuff.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Worked from home today, took part in 3 conference calls, played No Man's Sky throughout. A good day.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

It's time to play "who's stupid idea was that?!" again, because we never learn at my hospital. We've just finished re-tendering for our MSP for all out printers. Stuck with the same supplier, but they want to move from HP devices to Kyocera ones. Doesn't make much different to me directly, the printer company MSP will support all the bits and they're certified as working with our Cerner EPR system.

So we put in our first every Kyocera printer to test and make sure it works for all your usual printing stuff and output from our Cerner system. About that being support by Cerner, not so much. It seems like the Kyocera doesn't support Post Script (which is what Cerner want us to use - they could set things up PCL, but then won't help us if output breaks). So have to roll it back, work with the MSP and make sure they're all updated. No real problem right, just get the tech to update and retest?

Only slight issue, is that rather than being in one of the nice IT offices or testing rooms, this printer stuck straight in to a main clinical area and the manager spent all of yesterday afternoon yelling about it not working. No one's owning up to as to way we put an untested device in to a live clinical area, le sigh! So now we're swapping back to the old HP device and thinking maybe we should test these things in an IT office first.

On the plus side, someone has supplied the office with donughts.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
http://conferencecall.biz/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you're talking about the Taskalfa MFC I had a bunch of those at the last place. Decent model line but didn't have native PS and so experienced some PDF glitches that were a pain in the rear end.

I think they had an add on PS board that was something like $600 but we never shelled out for that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sheep posted:

:lol: That's some wishful thinking right there.

[X] Does it use energy?
[X] Does it have switches?
[X] Is it a pain in the rear end?

Congratulations!

That's far too limited a scope.

[X] Does it look like electricity might be involved?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You know what, at least it's nice and cool in here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ynglaur posted:

Ye of narrow mind.

Is there a tool involved (even if just an allen wrench)?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
More like "Do I want to do this?" if no, forward to IT.

edit: poo poo pissing me off, laptops of users who smoke :barf:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 12, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Fil5000 posted:

Coffee being removed is just the most petty thing. The first thing our new Ops Director did when getting into the role was start providing free tea, coffee and milk because of the massive amount of goodwill it generates for such a small expenditure.

Thread topic necromancy!

When at ${JOB}-1, when Verizon bought us, the first thing they did was take away the really nice Flavia coffee/hot chocolate pouches and get a keurig, and charge us for pods.
In retrospect, that should have been when I left.

My current gig (when I'm at headquarters) has these awesome peets coffee machines that do really nice hot chocolate. When i'm back at the small office in Dallas, we just pool our money for office snacks and supplies since there's only 5 of us there.

My current place advertises that they have 10 pokestops on campus, so we're a bunch of horrible nerds.

Now for stuff to actually complain about.

A group that runs infrastructure has basically decided that they are exempt from change controls. My first 30 minutes of oncall sprang to life because of this; with no change controls to reference what had changed, and why things all of a sudden stopped working when they worked fine for months.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Ynglaur posted:

[X] Would this belong to Janitor's/Groundskeeper's responsibilities if we had them

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hell is this on eternal loop

absolutely loving terrifying

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

...and we have our DEV netapps set up with mixed mode permissions.

:negative:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Did someone just join the call?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

18 Character Limit posted:

Did someone just join the call?

or the obverse:

" ..." JUST JOINED THE CALL
"hello is anyo" JUST JOINED THE CALL
"this is james win" JUST JOINED THE CALL
"*BURP*"JUST JOINED THE CALL
"..." JUST JOINED THE CALL
"Hello everyone who'se on the ca" JUST JOINED THE CALL
"..." JUST JOINED THE CALL
"is the bridge open?" JUST JOINED THE CALL

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

i find it really relaxing

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

This is awesome.

I love all the "I joined late, can I waste everyone's time by having you start over again" people.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Today. Today is pissing me off.

Well, really it's myself. And that's all that really needs to be read.

As a backstory, the company I work for just purchased another company, and as part of the on-boarding we were scheduled to move our telephones from an old Norstar system to a VOIP system. The network, however, didn't support PoE, so that was a complete replacement. Our ownership wants everything done as quickly as possible, and any delays that were floated were shot down with "just get it done". Same ownership finally approves purchase of switches, and we go to a local vendor who's giving us a good price. They have a local warehouse, we arrange to pick everything up, all good.

The vendor emails us to say everything's ready for pickup on Monday. First problem, warehouse is not local -- it's 60 miles away through the heart of LA. Second problem, I look below on the email chain and there, sitting there where it should say "Ready for pickup" for four 48port switches, instead it says "Sept 30". We quickly get that part cancelled and order through Amazon, to be delivered on Thursday. I drive to pick up the 24port switches that were not back ordered the next day and get them configured. They're Ubiquiti, Unifi switches, easy peasy.

Switches show up Thursday morning. Three hours after the VOIP guys do. I'm set up the 24port so that the VOIP guy can initialize all the phones while i unbox the 48ports, get them configured, and then attend to some other items at the facility while preparing to take down the network that night to put them in place.

Around 3, the VOIP PM shoots out an email to the team working on this saying that they're pushing the turn on date, as we're not ready. Meanwhile, the VOIP guy is going through the auto-attendant with my coworker whose leading that, and planning what he will be doing here today - putting phones on desks, and training.

So, gently caress it, I put two of the switches up in the main IT room, make sure they're connected, and skedaddle, since there's no use anymore busting my rear end at night.

Today, I arrive to work to an angry email from my boss, write a post mortem, then get to work finishing what I didn't do yesterday. And nothing goes right. Start hanging the network cabinet up for an IDF? Load it with a battery backup and slice up my finger on the some metal. Get that set, then step back and take a look, and hey, now the cabinet has pulled out the screws that were anchored in the drywall and only hanging on by the one screw that was landed in a stud. Pull everything out, get some wood to use for a backboard, and then realize I ordered the wrong SFPs for the fiber connect. Do an RMA on those, order new ones, figure I can use existing (lovely 10/100) switches in the meantime. Go to set up the IDF, put the lovely switch in, and loving drop it. It yanks the fiber port out of the box and shuts down. Spend the next hour going back and forth between the two buildings because the two other pairs don't work. Realize that the fiber in the first port is probably still good, and change that around. Then it works.

This is a job I just started about 3 months ago, am travelling 60 miles each way to the two plants and going through the shittiest traffic this side of the Pacific, am the only person in the department with ever expanding responsibilities, and everybody needs something. Once this project ends, there'll be the ERP start-up, then another plant in another state, then who knows. I feel like I rack up an hour and a half of work for every hour I am here, and falling behind. But it was a large increase in pay, with large bumps negotiated after 6 and 12 months, and it'll look good on my resume when I start looking in about 2 years.

Now I am sitting here at 8:00 on a Friday not wanting to walk to the other building to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with one of the switches. Might as well get to that so I can go home with everything "working".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Midelne posted:

He'll talk to his supervisor and find out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its 11:18 on Friday night, I'm sitting in our colo building listening to a Juniper tech support guy try to figure out why Macsec isn't working on our switches for our new 10gig circuit. When this is done, I have an hour and half drive to get home.

I like Juniper's equipment, but not having the huge support network that Cisco has its really starting to bite us.

We wanted to do this during the day, but a person in our change/project management office says we didn't give him enough time to change it on the schedule and they said that since we touch production equipment, it has to be done after hours. Oddly enough, I don't see him sitting next to working late.