Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Dog posted:

i don't understand the use case for >100mbit in either direction

what's not to understand, things are faster and everything's come with gigabit ethernet ports and wireless standards that do faster than 100 megabit for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

i live in "silicon valley north" and get 250KB/s upload and 2.5MB/s download

it is a great place for content creators who enjoy setting their uploads to complete overnight and into the after noon 🤗
fast internet is widely available here, you're not entitled to it if you can't pay the bill

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

THC posted:

you're not entitled to eat if you can't pay the bill

oh okay

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

:capitalism:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PleasureKevin posted:

actually, north american internet is dire, and a violation of our human rights

:canada::respek::911:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol our country sells tanks to middle eastern despots and you're crying about your human rights because your cheapo internet plan isn't fast enough to upload youtubes

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

those tanks were just lying around in detroit anyway, might as well make bank

i mean it's not like they're just gonna get missile hosed to death by terrists within minutes

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i meant canada. our beautiful young progressive feminist hero of a prime minister said that it would reflect poorly on canada's reputation if we don't sell $15B of LAVs to the Saudis. he literally said that.

but no the true human rights crisis in canada is that you have to wait a few hours to upload your dumb videos "content" that nobody watches

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

THC posted:

fast internet is widely available here, you're not entitled to it if you can't pay the bill

well, its less a matter of being able to pay the service, it's more that it doesn't matter what level you pay for, comcast is giving you bottom level service

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also it's not just theoretical sales of surplus poo poo. it's being used immediately to indiscriminately kill civilians in yemen. :dings:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

i don't understand the use case for >100mbit in either direction

twc offers 300, i have the 100 down plan. i think up is only 10 or something. wouldn't mind it being 100/100 but for $60/mo it's fine. there are bigger problems in life.

eh, down is fine when you need to pirate your 4k animes

upstream there's not really any use unless you aspire to be a twitch superstar

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

eh, down is fine when you need to pirate your 4k animes

upstream there's not really any use unless you aspire to be a twitch superstar

or linux iso seeder maybe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Progressive JPEG posted:

or linux iso seeder maybe

do that from your university office, dummy

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
man i wish i could upload my content seamlessly to the cloud or do meaningful video conferencing or do better remote work but luckily i have been saved by idiot clowns who dont think upload speed is useful

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ahmeni posted:

man i wish i could upload my content seamlessly to the cloud or do meaningful video conferencing or do better remote work but luckily i have been saved by idiot clowns who dont think upload speed is useful

exactly what do you gain by having 4k video conferencing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

you're thinking of video when you should be thinking of audio

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

the same thing I get with 0.5k video conferencing but I can actually see a goddamn thing

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

computer parts posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Chaos_magic_ritual_involving_videoconferencing.JPG

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

100mbit is great if you get any large applications digitally or updates digitally or have multiple devices streaming poo poo because you don't live alone you dork

that's why i said downstream stuff is fine, and common even

it's the use case of "five people using FaceTime while each uploading 500GB in online backups" that I don't get

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
realime security camera cloud backup?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

lol our country sells tanks to middle eastern despots and you're crying about your human rights because your cheapo internet plan isn't fast enough to upload youtubes

I cry about that other poo poo all the time

and you JUST said this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

my biggest problem with low up rates is that if you saturate the upstream the latency on the connection spikes thanks to bufferbloat. QOS helps but it doesn't entirely fix it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my only consolation is that the telcos wasted a shitload of money on that net neutrality disinformation campaign as a slight of hand to distract people from the thing they were actually concerned about. turns out that campaign was entirely unnecessary anyways since the courts took care of it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

my only consolation is that the telcos wasted a shitload of money on that net neutrality disinformation campaign as a slight of hand to distract people from the thing they were actually concerned about. turns out that campaign was entirely unnecessary anyways since the courts took care of it

what's the other thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx posted:

realime security camera cloud backup?

not gonna lie, this is the difference between 1080 and 720 for mine. i think i could pull higher but itd saturate the connection and make my otherwise small service i run pretty flaky

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
itt a bunch of computer janitors can't imagine what they would do with fast upstream bandwidth because they don't have fast upstream so they have no current applications that use it.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

VPNing to your house from work is the correct answer to this question

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

google removes google plus integration from google play store

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/the-google-play-store-scraps-google-integration/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

good the more bloat they remove the better

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rip gooplus

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:confused:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

green forum? like the gas chamber?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

VPNing to your house from work is the correct answer to this question

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

afaik it's a lot of nimby bullshit like not being able to tear up roads, or they can't put up a fiber enclosure on public land somewhere because it looks ugly

from the sf bay area thread

CrazyLittle posted:

That's only if AT&T was allowed to setup a DSLAM in the local node. As part of the uverse rollout specifically in San Francisco, AT&T requested permission to install new above-ground MUX boxes with expedited permitting and no-cost for right-of-way/land-rights. San Francisco denied them for a bunch of reasons, among them the fact that AT&T refuses to allow other CLECs access to the new infrastructure.

This was AT&T's proposed install - note the image implies that the box will be unobtrusive and out of the way:
http://ipnetwork4sf.att.com/our-plan/

This is how one of the boxes was actually deployed in San Francisco, blocking both the sidewalk and street parking access:

I'm all for getting SF NIMBY's to shut the gently caress up, but AT&T's got a nasty habit of playing bait-and-switch while rigging the game in their favor. IMHO force AT&T to allow common access, and while we're at it, force Comcast to do the same.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Google probably tried to do the same thing. for a while there they proposed turning streetlights into wifi APs but that was also an incredibly dumb idea.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLittle posted:

from the sf bay area thread
hmm i wonder why they chose to put it on public land instead of whoever owns that lawn. i can't imagine why they would do that. well, whatever the reason i'm sure it's at&t's fault and definitely not whatever nimby owns that lawn

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
even if att puts it on the nimby's lawn they still have to cross or build onto the sidewalk to get to the street or telephone poles, and that requires permitting to prevent poo poo like cutting gas mains. it's the permitting and public-use licensing that att wants given away for free, and exemption from inspections

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

Google probably tried to do the same thing. for a while there they proposed turning streetlights into wifi APs but that was also an incredibly dumb idea.

uh, they literally did this in mountain view when they installed google wifi

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

uh, they literally did this in mountain view when they installed google wifi

what works in sparse mountain view doesn't apply to densely populated san francisco? the point is that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wifi sucks

• Locked thread