Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Step 1: Insert cat into sack
Step 2: Retrieve bactine
Step 3: Insert cat back into sack

edit: "I'm concerned other cats will be able to smell my poop, but what I'm really worried about is all that litter surrounding the poop."

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Dogen posted:

God damnit how do you people get your cats to like the sacks??

Your cats don't :eyepop:

E: Realistic: you can try to put some catnip in there if they like catnip, and/or place them in there manually, i.e. Show them it's cool.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We have given up and gone all platform and house. And some tubes they don't use. Spoiled bastards have two armarkats pushed together.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dogen posted:

God damnit how do you people get your cats to like the sacks??

Start them off with Kind of Blue.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Dogen posted:

We have given up and gone all platform and house. And some tubes they don't use. Spoiled bastards have two armarkats pushed together.

My cat is claustrophobic. I wonder if the sacks would be acceptable. Houses/boxes/tubes definitely are not - his current cat tree is small but is all platform.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Gorgar posted:

Start them off with Kind of Blue.

I've been playing Sacksaphone Colossus this whole time like an idiot

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My cats love these crinkle tubes, they're crinkly and some have laser lights. I have a ton. I got them at Pet Supplies Plus (a good store) but prob can get on Amazon

But they love the sacks WAAAAAaaaaay more. Cat Sack. It'd be rare to find a cat sack unoccupied in my house.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 10, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dogen posted:

I've been playing Sacksaphone Colossus this whole time like an idiot

Coincidentally, that's where I started. Just make sure the bonus track "Goin' to Meetin'" is present, and you should be just fine.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Buy some more sacks for it they're cheap and the cats love it :catstare:

E: she switched

Well the sack is definitely his favorite part, aside from the little dangling ball up top. Is this what you are talking about? And what do I do, just remove a perch and put that in instead? Or will they fit in between the scratching post and perch?

Either way he is in love with his new playground. He isn't into the hammock in the bottom so much. We even threw a toy into it, and he very carefully stood on the edge and grabbed it out, and got off of it as soon as felinely possible. Placed him in there, and he jumped right out. I'm thinking maybe it's because it sways as he moves, and he's not into the motion.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My cats were extremely suspicious of the radiator hammock we got them and I was starting to feel like it was a waste of money. Then one day I found them both in it and it's been pretty much permanently occupied ever since. Cats take a while to warm up to new things.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Lately my cat has been completely and utterly fascinated by the toilet, and she'd stand up on her hind legs so she could watch it flush after I was done. After my boyfriend was done with the bathroom just now, kitty went in to investigate and apparently fell in :catstare:

She seems pretty chill about it now, only after leaving a trail of water through the entire apartment as she ran in terror from the dreaded Weird Thing That I Now Know Is Filled with Water.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

om nom nom posted:

Well the sack is definitely his favorite part, aside from the little dangling ball up top. Is this what you are talking about? And what do I do, just remove a perch and put that in instead? Or will they fit in between the scratching post and perch?

Either way he is in love with his new playground. He isn't into the hammock in the bottom so much. We even threw a toy into it, and he very carefully stood on the edge and grabbed it out, and got off of it as soon as felinely possible. Placed him in there, and he jumped right out. I'm thinking maybe it's because it sways as he moves, and he's not into the motion.

Yeah that, or they also sell replacement parts, that's what I got so it matches with the original tree. Those things are customizable as hell, what do you mean though "between scratching post and perch"? The thing at the very top? I can't remember off the top of my head how long the screws are / how thick the perch is but if you want to stick a sack under the perch I think it would be ok (i.e. Both together) otherwise replace perch with a sack (or 2). Use your judgement if it feels too heavy / thick on the screw, 2 sacks is definitely ok and a sack+perch probably is but just check. Otherwise stick a sack somewhere else in the cat tree.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 10, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Librarian posted:

Lately my cat has been completely and utterly fascinated by the toilet, and she'd stand up on her hind legs so she could watch it flush after I was done. After my boyfriend was done with the bathroom just now, kitty went in to investigate and apparently fell in :catstare:

She seems pretty chill about it now, only after leaving a trail of water through the entire apartment as she ran in terror from the dreaded Weird Thing That I Now Know Is Filled with Water.

My cat likes to watch the toilet flush too. Also, likes to watch the tank fill up if the top is off. It's just part of the magical world of being a cat :3:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

My cat likes to watch the toilet flush too. Also, likes to watch the tank fill up if the top is off. It's just part of the magical world of being a cat :3:

I tested it out and she's right back to watching it flush again, I'm glad cause it is pretty adorable how amazed she looks every time :3:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The other day I dreamt that I woke up to a house torn about and crapped everywhere by the cat.

When I actually woke up, her favorite wand toy was on my bed but at least everything else was where it should be. The wand and most of her toys tend to stay downstairs. :catstare: I play with her plenty, but at least when she's tearing around the house at night it doesn't wake me up.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Super Librarian posted:

I tested it out and she's right back to watching it flush again, I'm glad cause it is pretty adorable how amazed she looks every time :3:

My cat does this too, she stretches up and leans right in to watch it. For about a year or so I was convinced that she was going to lean too far in and fall in sometime but I've given up on that happening by now. She's a pretty clumsy animal but I guess yours has her beat on this one.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Tell me what avatar to buy, we need one. CRAZY KITTEN/CATS

has green cat eyes

CRAZED

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So our cat (male, tabby, roughly 18 months old) has been acting up in the past two days and we have no idea why. We recently moved about 4 hours away from our old place, but for the first two weeks he was fine and indeed pretty happy. Now, he needs either my fiancee's attention or my attention almost constantly and he claws at our new couch and door frames. He was clawing at the new couch every so often since we got here, so we got some anti-claw pheromone spray and put that on the couch last week. My fiancee thinks that he wants to go outside (because now we have a porch with a sliding glass door that he sunbathes by) but we're not going to let him. Our apartment is on the second story and the porch fence posts are wide enough that he could easily slip through them.

Can you think of anything that could help our Gabe out?

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Feliway diffuser. Double sided tape for your couch. Check to see if any of the neighbors have pets that roam or make noise that he might be picking up on. Get Da Bird and give that kitty something to chase!
Those are the pretty standard ideas.
Last but not least, a vet visit to see if maybe Gabe isn't feeling so well.

Hope you figure it out. :)

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Canadian Bakin posted:

Feliway diffuser. Double sided tape for your couch. Check to see if any of the neighbors have pets that roam or make noise that he might be picking up on. Get Da Bird and give that kitty something to chase!
Those are the pretty standard ideas.
Last but not least, a vet visit to see if maybe Gabe isn't feeling so well.

Hope you figure it out. :)

Great advice! Just looked at our diffuser, and it's empty too! Will ask our neighbors tonight :)

ninja edit: is there a recommended online tool to locate vets?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry for quoting myself but we need a crazy cat smilie

Tell me what smiley to buy, we need crazed cat one A la

Choose:

has green cat eyes

CRAZED

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thin Privilege posted:

Choose:

has green cat eyes

CRAZED

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
While I appreciate that the first one has cat eyes, they don't look good at that size. It's 2, unless you can make the cat eyes way more distinct.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Thin Privilege posted:

Choose:

has green cat eyes

CRAZED

2 is best

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
call it :craycat: :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Will do once my internet comes back up, I'm on my phone right now. 2 is my favorite too

Wait have another idea brb

E: balls internet is still down. This is my favorite of the three and I can't upload it :qq:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 11, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thin Privilege posted:

Will do once my internet comes back up, I'm on my phone right now. 2 is my favorite too

Wait have another idea brb

i swear i shall use it out of context in inappropriate ways in many threads :patriot:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I definitely have the best one now no one buy the other two :catstare: maybe not till tomorrow will I be able to post it so sad

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Oh my god, how do I get my cat to stop meowing every time she frels like we arent paying attention to her? It's slowly driving me insane.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Ignore. She will stop eventually. Gently reassure her like "hi cat" but don't overdo it like HEY KITTY KITTY :swoon: . On the other hand, you don't want to make it like you're TOTALLY ignoring her because that's cruel. So, give minimal recognition while mostly ignoring.

And then the obvious play with her a lot to begin with/get her distractions.

E: also depends on cat, they may be trying to get your attention to play. My one merps when he wants a toy which is contrary to the"ignore" advice cause he stops once I play w him. The rest (7) work well with the ignoring.

So learn your cat's behavior is prob best advice.

E2: he just started merping to play :catstare:

Also there's the second (better) option is to give her all your attention, always.

E3: I'm playing fetch with the merping cat. Playing w cats is the best.

E4: now that we've played and I gave him some treats after our game he's chilled out and sleeping. Take that as you will. None of my other cats play so yeah just learn your cat.

E5: after the game

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 12, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Oh my god, how do I get my cat to stop meowing every time she frels like we arent paying attention to her? It's slowly driving me insane.

We called a vet today and the secretary told me it was cat mating season

I don't think that's a thing

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

We called a vet today and the secretary told me it was cat mating season

I don't think that's a thing

It technically isn't since each cat has their own groove thing, but intact females tend to go into heat during spring and summer. You know, half the year is mating season :suicide:

Here's some randomly googled info on Feline Pon Farr http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/Feline-Heat-Cycles.html

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nowadays Hope just gets my attention long enough to wander over to the spinny laser thingy and rub her head on the laser to get me to turn it on

I've been... replaced. :smithicide:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Nowadays Hope just gets my attention long enough to wander over to the spinny laser thingy and rub her head on the laser to get me to turn it on

I've been... replaced. :smithicide:

Aww, don't worry. She still needs someone to supply food at regular intervals and there'll always be a place for the toilet cleaner :)

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Cat psychology question.

So my husband and I adopted my mom's "elderly" cat (which was previously my cat along with her buddy Goliath who has since passed away). She's was always pretty skittish, never a lap cat or anything.

Now she's really warmed up to living with us and is exhibiting some new behaviours: She "talks" all the time (good catte), is extremely playful, has started cautiously demanding to sleep on stomachs and other good things.

Here's the one I don't get:
When we feed her in the evening, she will eat, then like clockwork sit down to HOWL. It seriously sounds like she's mortally wounded (nothing like the howls you get by washing a cat or angry cats). This is like "hi i was hit by a truck and broke all my legs" bellowing.

I really freaked out the first time I heard her do it, but by now we have learned it just really means "play with me RIGHT NOW".

So, uh - is this a thing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lizard_phunk posted:

Cat psychology question.

So my husband and I adopted my mom's "elderly" cat (which was previously my cat along with her buddy Goliath who has since passed away). She's was always pretty skittish, never a lap cat or anything.

Now she's really warmed up to living with us and is exhibiting some new behaviours: She "talks" all the time (good catte), is extremely playful, has started cautiously demanding to sleep on stomachs and other good things.

Here's the one I don't get:
When we feed her in the evening, she will eat, then like clockwork sit down to HOWL. It seriously sounds like she's mortally wounded (nothing like the howls you get by washing a cat or angry cats). This is like "hi i was hit by a truck and broke all my legs" bellowing.

I really freaked out the first time I heard her do it, but by now we have learned it just really means "play with me RIGHT NOW".

So, uh - is this a thing?

Diagnosis: is a cat, has learned how to get your attention.

Recommended treatment: Ignore her if you want to discourage the behavior. She's learned how to reliably get your attention and will keep doing it as long as it works.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Cythereal posted:

Diagnosis: is a cat, has learned how to get your attention.

Recommended treatment: Ignore her if you want to discourage the behavior. She's learned how to reliably get your attention and will keep doing it as long as it works.

Indeed - obviously I had to check on her the first couple of times (because she sounded like she had been shot).

I've just never heard this howling before except with serious injury and I've been around plenty of cats.

Tbh, she gets my attention with standard meows, so I found it's interesting that this is some sort of post-eating ritual before flipping out and playing (whether we respond to her or not).

lizard_phunk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

lizard_phunk posted:

Indeed - obviously I had to check on her the first couple of times (because she sounded like she was shot).

I've just never heard this howling before except with serious injury and I've been around plenty of cats.

Tbh, she gets my attention with standard meows, so I found it's interesting that this is some sort of post-eating ritual before flipping out and playing (whether we respond to her or not).

I've never heard it happening before either. On the one hand that's not a sound cats normally make, but on the other hand it doesn't sound like there's any other symptoms.
I was going to say if she's doing it after every time she eats then it might be a digestion issue. But then again she might just be a cat :shrug:

Try feeding her at a different time of the day when she's not expecting to play and see if it happens then. Just, a tiny can of tuna or something. Or try playing with her right before she would normally start howling, see if the howling is independent of attention.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

MrSlam posted:

I've never heard it happening before either. On the one hand that's not a sound cats normally make, but on the other hand it doesn't sound like there's any other symptoms.
I was going to say if she's doing it after every time she eats then it might be a digestion issue. But then again she might just be a cat :shrug:

Try feeding her at a different time of the day when she's not expecting to play and see if it happens then. Just, a tiny can of tuna or something. Or try playing with her right before she would normally start howling, see if the howling is independent of play.

I think she's perfectly fine, she doesn't do it when fed in the morning or when she gets snacks.

When I check on her she's just really perky and excited. I think it's really weird (which is why I ask) but then again cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have a cat that makes weird screamy noises when he wants to play, or wants something in general. He's settled down some and miaows normally sometimes, but the screaming still happens sometimes. Is cat. If I'm on the phone when he does it, I usually get asked about it, because it sounds weird and like he's being killed. He's fine and is a really friendly and nice cat.

She trusts you and is communicating and being more affectionate. Sounds great that an older cat is finding herself happy and comfortable enough to do this.