Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Seems like I need data on for SMS via Hangouts. I set my default SMS app to Messenger and sent my girlfriend a text. I didn't get her reply until I turned data back on, and it came in via Hangouts. How can I text without data?

Did you go to Settings - > Account Settings and turn off SMS messages in there? That's what I needed to do to fully break SMS and Hangouts apart.

Then, try Messenger again, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, tried that and SMS does go back and forth via the Messenger app.

However, I still need data enabled regardless. Really hoping there's a way for SMS to work normally without data being enabled.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Iirc, in order to text with no cell service while connected to wifi, you must use hangouts integration and use the hangouts app.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

withoutclass posted:

Iirc, in order to text with no cell service while connected to wifi, you must use hangouts integration and use the hangouts app.

All right, I will try that out tonight.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

However, I still need data enabled regardless. Really hoping there's a way for SMS to work normally without data being enabled.

Yeah, my mom's Windows phone had the same issue, but I think only for MMS. I was hoping to avoid it as she doesn't have data on her plan, but whatever 0.5G speeds she does get seem good enough to get messages.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, my mom's Windows phone had the same issue, but I think only for MMS. I was hoping to avoid it as she doesn't have data on her plan, but whatever 0.5G speeds she does get seem good enough to get messages.

Isn't an MMS message just a SMS containing a reference link to an http page with the content on it? I think it needs data on for every carrier, but the carrier's server is usually exempt from data metering.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks, tried that and SMS does go back and forth via the Messenger app.

I use Messenger to send SMS and MMS and they travel just fine over WiFi. SMS also send and receive with cellular data off just fine.

MMS require cellular data. If you are having issues with a group chat those are MMS.

If you use Hangouts you will always need a data connection.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I can't tell for sure (your description isn't terribly clear) but I think you are running into the same issue I run in to when I travel internationally and try to make wifi calls with airplane mode on. It doesn't work, Fi simply won't allow it. It's basically an edge use case that they haven't properly addressed. I wanted to turn airplane mode on because Fi was deciding my wifi connection was not good enough for wifi calling (it is, I use it for video facetime no problem) and switching to cell towers without telling me (another big Fi flaw) and then running up a big bill. It sounds like it is reacting to turning off data in a similar manner

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I can place and receive calls on wifi in airplane mode. I do it at work all the time. It works through my VPN too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I had the thing where it decides to use the lovely cell signal for an incoming call while I'm sitting on a perfectly good wifi signal the other day, but that was like the first time I'd ever noticed it in a few months on Fi.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One good thing about multiple networks, if one is completely down in your area, the other one picks up the slack. In certain parts of Louisiana, AT&T is down, and T-Mobile may be spotty in places from what I understand. Sprint worked like a champ on our way back from Mississippi.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My wife's new Nexus 5X has used 2GB of data in two weeks. She was < 1GB/mo (pretty far below, in fact) for the entirety of her time with Sprint.

Data usage shows 1.1GB used over the cellular network on just "Google Play Store" alone. Settings in play store are "update over WiFi only".

In Data Usage, I can turn off play store's ability to use background data. I did so. 1) Will this make anything bad happen, and 2) 1.1GB, what the ever-loving gently caress?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
All these folks coming from Sprint and noticing their usage double is interesting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, seems like everyone mentioning that problem is switching from Sprint. I switched from T-Mobile and I haven't noticed any issues like that. I didn't keep spreadsheets of it before or anything, but I'm pretty confident my cellular data usage has gone down a bit. My mindset on T-Mo was like "I have two days left in this cycle with 300 megs to go, so I can download these two apps on cell data NBD". Now it's more "you will get a dollar back next month if you just wait until you get home to download those two silly apps you don't actually need".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, seems like everyone mentioning that problem is switching from Sprint. I switched from T-Mobile and I haven't noticed any issues like that. I didn't keep spreadsheets of it before or anything, but I'm pretty confident my cellular data usage has gone down a bit. My mindset on T-Mo was like "I have two days left in this cycle with 300 megs to go, so I can download these two apps on cell data NBD". Now it's more "you will get a dollar back next month if you just wait until you get home to download those two silly apps you don't actually need".

I switched from ATT, and :same:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I think the thing about the data difference coming from Sprint is since Sprint's data network is such poo poo people tend to have low use since they literally can't download more. When my company switched from Sprint to AT&T people jumped from using maybe 200mb a month to 1gb+ now that YouTube and all those streaming apps now actually loaded and ran in HD everywhere without buffering.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

McPhearson posted:

I think the thing about the data difference coming from Sprint is since Sprint's data network is such poo poo people tend to have low use since they literally can't download more. When my company switched from Sprint to AT&T people jumped from using maybe 200mb a month to 1gb+ now that YouTube and all those streaming apps now actually loaded and ran in HD everywhere without buffering.

This is basically it.. I came from sprint ... back almost a year ago.. I was barely using 500MB a month.. then I started using 2GB a month on Fi... now.. last month I used over 4GB.. BUT I was off Wi-FI a lot.. if you stick around wi-fi most days your usage shouldn't be all that high.

The fact is.. Sprint's network is poo poo..

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I'm stuck with Fi now. I always thought "hey if I don't like it I can always go back to T-Mobile" but...welp. I guess there's always other MVNOs, but I'm not sure any of them would compare favorably to Fi's growing Frankenstein network.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Android Nougat has arrived, and with it, data saver. Looking forward to hopefully even cheaper Fi bills.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm sad my 5 won't be getting an upgrade to 7. Any thoughts on if Google will continue to run a promotion with the new unreleased Google phones?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I could see there being some sort of promotion, whether or not it's up front or a time after release I think is the main question. I think they're keen to get more and more people on Fi so it could be worth it for them.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Traveled to Korea and Japan recently and it was extremely convenient just having everything work as soon as the plane landed. WiFi calling in Japan didn't work so I was stuck paying 20cents/minute for a few calls I had to make but I believe that is due to some weird voip regulations Japan has.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone happen to know how Fi coverage in Senegal is? :aaa:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Just got back from Toronto. Both my 5X and the cheap BLU phone with a data-only SIM worked great!

However, my 5X got real confused in Niagara. With New York in view, it tried to hop over to a weak Sprint signal sometimes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Trying to help my mother sign up, the credit check ran for all of one second and said she has insufficient history. That obviously can't be right, so I've requested a call from support. Any thoughts or advice?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I suggest talking to support.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spoke to them twice, they said wait 30 days and try again.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
So after dropping my nexus 5X on a trail and the screen cracking, I'm looking for a case for the new one getting sent to me in the mail by google, I noticed that otterbox doesn't make cases for the 5X, so I was wondering if you guys knew any good higher quality cases that can withstand a drop, my price range is $60 and under.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
This is probably the closest you'll get to a OtterBox for the '15 Nexii - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=supcase+5x

I have the black one for my 6P on right now and its fine for when I'm feeling like having a case on. My only complaint is that the rubbery parts that cover your headphone jack and charging port (the same way the OtterBox does) are a stiff plastic and don't always pop right back into place, say after charging for 6 hrs while you sleep. Also if you get the one with the built in "screen protector" you'll wanna xacto that poo poo right off.

Having said all that you're probably better off getting a Speck case - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=nexus+5x+speck or check out something from Spigen or Ringke. This also goes for everybody else's phones.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

azurite posted:

Just got back from Toronto. Both my 5X and the cheap BLU phone with a data-only SIM worked great!

However, my 5X got real confused in Niagara. With New York in view, it tried to hop over to a weak Sprint signal sometimes.
I think I ended up with like $1 in international fees from using my Nexus 5X on the American side of Niagara, haha. But that is a small price to pay for the awesomeness of GOING ANYWHERE WITH MY PHONE OH GOD I STILL LOVE IT

Also as far as the "switch from Sprint and be confused" gang, I switched from Republic Wireless, which mostly piggybacked on Sprint, and I had the same experience with my data usage being higher than made any sense, so I suppose that adds credence to the idea that we were all suffering through crappy data networks without realizing it, rather than Fi tricking us?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My wife used >3GB last month, and over 2 years with Sprint had never broken 1GB, in fact was frequently averaging 0.5GB.

My 2-3GB turning into 4-5GB could possibly be blamed on my being an internet addict with better mobile coverage. My wife using 6x the data that she's ever used in her life... There is something being done differently in the calculations of data at Fi versus Sprint.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

How are you former Sprint users comparing your data usage? If you are comparing from a Sprint dashboard to the Fi dashboard, this might make some sense. But if you are comparing from a newer Android phone on Sprint to a phone on Fi, using the built-in Android control panel, it seems very strange.

A kind of funny theory I thought of has to do with how, among the big US carriers, Sprint has been the most iron-fisted against BYOD. If you folks were using Sprint branded phones, maybe it's possible they required manufacturers to use Sprint-approved algorithms for data reporting, even inside the device's built-in control panels? I don't know if Apple would go along with this, but I am skeptical if any Android maker would give two shits.

That aside, I do like the idea that people are using more data just because they finally have a faster and more reliable connection. Thinking back to my first smartphone, I had Sprint and a phone that supported one of the earliest 3G standards. There were a lot of times I would just quit trying to load something because of slow speed and connection problems, even if it was a normal thing that I used often. Now that I'm used to having a snappy phone and bandwidth that's best measured in tenths of a megabyte per second, I have to actually be mindful of data usage :v:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I measure using the Sprint dashboard vs. the Fi dashboard, because that's how they bill me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

the auschwitz diet posted:

That button is just for managing your home's hotspot if you lease a router from Comcast, yes.

Don't download their app, just create a new login in your Comcast account without billing/admin privileges, connect to any xfinitywifi network using those credentials in the captive portal and check remember me or whatever. It will just connect if there is one around. I thought Android could manage preferred wifi networks but I can't figure it out, I think it just prefers known private networks by default or remembers your choices. I've never had it connect to xfinity when I had good reception to a known network.

I wouldn't use Comcast's lovely routers unless you held a gun to my head but it's nice to have the hotspots when you're out. If you're moving fast sometimes they interfere with LTE because it prefers the wifi and you're constantly moving in and out of range of networks.

I've had this problem and made an automate flow to turn off Wi-Fi when I connect to my car's Bluetooth and back on when it disconnects.

http://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/6973

You can adjust the Bluetooth device to be your car.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/09/project-fi-k-2-7-13-preparing-launch-group-plans-apk-teardown/

Looks like group accounts are coming soon. Personally I don't see how a Fi group plan could be a better deal than most family plans I've seen, but I guess it depends on how the data is handled across lines. I'm assuming it will be a single unified "bucket" of data, like the data only sims use, but it's all guess and speculation right now (obviously).

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Nice, I was hoping for something like that. I just set my daughter up on PF for her first phone, and was considering switching myself, wife, and son. On AT&T each line comes out to around $30 on a family plan and they all share 15GB of data at different amounts. So switching them would cost a bit more, but I really like the multi-carrier idea and we'll be doing some traveling in the future.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Looking forward to the release of the new Nexus phones so I can swap from my iPhone/AT&T hell we're currently in. Any idea when they will be available? Lots of sites out there claiming various dates, but not being familiar with the Android ecosystem I don't know who's reliable and who's making poo poo up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Probably get announced early next month.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also keep in mind that both last year's Nexuses were well-liked so maybe scope out a cheap deal on those once the they're-actually-being-called-Pixels-this years drop. Especially the 6P -- I like my 5X a lot but the 2GB RAM would make it harder to jump in on a year late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I don't know what it is or how to even begin troubleshooting this, but over the past few days, my 6P has been getting seriously delayed texts or like this morning, just straight up not getting texts at all (people I normally text with regularly telling me they texted me like 2 hours ago and I'm definitely showing no texts). I use the default text messenger, never used Hangouts or Facebook Messenger for texts. I only use my home wifi and cellular everywhere else. I've changed nothing over the weekend to my phone so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Has there been any kind of data outage thing happening on any of the carriers that could be causing Fi to be delayed in this stuff?

Edit: Even turning wifi completely off and restarting the phone I'm still not getting texts that I should be getting, just in case anyone asks 'did you restart your phone?' :v:

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 12, 2016