Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

Homeland was just renewed for seasons 7 and 8 :boom:

This is good news, Homeland has been good the last couple of seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

People don't come by boat from China anymore either bro. Or from anywhere else (Refugees don't count)

Do shipping containers count?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

less laughter posted:

Homeland was just renewed for seasons 7 and 8 :boom:

That happened months ago.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Norwegian Rudo posted:

That happened months ago.

You're wrong.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

less laughter posted:

You're wrong.

Nope. Everybody at the TCAs were apparently too punch-drunk on day 16 to remember it though.

http://www.slashfilm.com/homeland-renewed-season-7-and-8/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

This is why all my favourite shows of all time are named after the lead character. Like Dexter, Ray Donovan, and Archie Bunker's Place.

I must say that having a show consisting entirely of a men's fashion appearal slideshow was a weird creative decision but Suits nailed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I felt like a right twat going to see The Cure decked head to toe in orange. If you can't trust Netflix for fashion advice, who can you?!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Is there a thread for the horrible Netflix show Between? Since nothings really been on I decided to watch it. I keep my entertainment bar as low as possible and somehow this show can't even make the step over it. I need commiseration buddies.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I wonder if there's going to be a big outcry for CBS firing Thomas Gibson for kicking a producer like there was for Jeremy Clarkson- or is Criminal Minds not popular with the same demo?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy has hired Grant Morrison and Brian Taylor to work on their Brave New World miniseries. For those who don't know, Grant Morrison is a Scottish comic book author known for being kind of weird and Brian Taylor is the Taylor half of Neveldine/Taylor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

cool kids inc. posted:

I wonder if there's going to be a big outcry for CBS firing Thomas Gibson for kicking a producer like there was for Jeremy Clarkson- or is Criminal Minds not popular with the same demo?

I highly doubt it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

muscles like this? posted:

Syfy has hired Grant Morrison and Brian Taylor to work on their Brave New World miniseries. For those who don't know, Grant Morrison is a Scottish comic book author known for being kind of weird and Brian Taylor is the Taylor half of Neveldine/Taylor.

That strikes me as an... odd... collaborative pairing. Could turn out interesting, anyway.

Edit: In completely unrelated news, Lin-Manuel Miranda is going to be narrating the Alexander Hamilton/Aaron Burr duel on Drunk History. With Alia Shawkat and Aubrey Plaza playing Hamilton and Burr. :laugh:

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know if anybody reading the thread was a fan of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, but I found myself badly wanting to see the show again a couple years ago and made an effortpost in the [as] thread in ADTRW. I figured I'd leave it here in case anybody else wanted a guide to buying old episodes on DVD and/or iTunes:

CBJSprague24 posted:

A couple years ago, I went on a nostalgia trip with Space Ghost Coast to Coast, buying the first three DVDs fairly inexpensively off Amazon. The want to play catch up restarted recently and, as I found the first time I searched, the last two volumes are drat near impossible to find/are $140-200 when you can, so I've started to download those episodes to watch during travel.

If anybody else wants to get caught up on the series, here's an effortpost on probably the easiest/cheapest/most legal way to do it:

DVD Volume 1- Spanish Translation to Explode, except Self Help, "Gum, Disease", and Le Livre d'Histoire.
DVD Volume 2- $20.01 to Woody Allen's Fall Project
DVD Volume 3- Rehearsal to Joshua, except Brilliant Number Two

The DVDs can be had for less than $30 sometimes and are worth it for the commentaries and special features. Be warned the first three episodes of the series are awful (and the creators admit as much in the commentary for Elevator, the first episode presented), but the show picks up in #4 (CHiPs).

The above episodes are in Volumes 1-6 on iTunes, bringing you the rest of the series (starting with Terminal) in Volumes 7 and beyond. Of those, go back and pick up Self Help and Gum, Disease from Volume 1. Brilliant Number Two is an alternate version of Brilliant Number One with different, grating audio, and Le Livre sounds like a mashup of Story Book and The Mask, a promotional episode released on VHS to promote the Jim Carrey movie; both could probably be skipped. Baffler Meal and Chambraigne, somewhere in Vol 7-10, are available as special features on ATHF Volumes 2 and 5 respectively if you're a fan of ATHF, too.

I'll also add that I've had trouble downloading the second half of the Volume 7 episodes to my iPod because it says the video format is different than what's compatible with my iPod. I don't get why because the first six episodes transferred with no problem. Maybe an issue with the software on the iPod?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How is The Americans so good?!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Snak posted:

How is The Americans so good?!

A strong wig game? The superiority of Mother Russia?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's really selling me on the time period. I like it when a setting isn't "just a premise" and it whisks me away to another time.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Snak posted:

It's really selling me on the time period. I like it when a setting isn't "just a premise" and it whisks me away to another time.

The acting starts off strong af but Keri Russell straight up eclipses Matthew Rhys in this last season. Murderous Felicity is the best. :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Are you having trouble with the fact that they are not Americans but are in fact russians pretending to be americans but the show isn't called pretend Americans? I had a hard time with that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never watched Felicity, so I didn't have an opinion of her as an actress. But she's blown me away so far.

But all the acting is pretty good. I pretty much like everything about the show. Writing, cinematography, soundtrack. It's all great.

I can pretty much only binge it though, because it's emotionally draining and stressful. When I get in the mood for it, I can't stop watching, but it's not like I'm just always in the mood to just go visit the cold war.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bring back old gbs posted:

Are you having trouble with the fact that they are not Americans but are in fact russians pretending to be americans but the show isn't called pretend Americans? I had a hard time with that.

Just remember that they had kids on US soil and are thus US Citizens by bang law.

e: Reminder: not actual law.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 13, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boogaleeboo posted:

Just remember that they had kids on US soil and are thus US Citizens by bang law.

e: Reminder: not actual law.

Yeah but then why isn't the show called American Kids? or The Big Bang Law, that would have put it on the map.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

bring back old gbs posted:

The Big Bang Law

Shocking development today as the Big Bang Theory spin-off was leaked on the Something Awful Forums, full story at 11,

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine how much Homelands would improve if the annoying daughter character was played by Paige Jennings.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You mean like if Paige Jennings infiltrated show business, became an actress, and played a character on Homeland?

Edit: this show has me fact-checking history too much. Its very educational.

Although (s1ep8 spoilers) if a bomb killed 3 FBI agents and a scientist in 1982, I can't find anything about it. So I'm gonna guess that didn't happen in real life. For a second, I thought "hey, are they making a Unabomber reference/retcon?" But that timeline doesn't line up either.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 13, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mu Zeta posted:

Imagine how much Homelands would improve if the annoying daughter character was played by Paige Jennings.

Eh, Morgan Saylor did a good job with what she was given (people were raving about her after the first season), she just suffered from how extraneous and boring the Brody family plots became. Holly Taylor is very good and held her own against Russell and Rhys this past season, but she also benefits from much better writing and the fact that her story is essentially the A-plot at this point instead of some disconnected side-story.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I already want more of Take My Wife. Episode 4 when they get locked out was probably my favorite.

If anyone wants to check it out, you can get two months of Seeso free with the code Harmon.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ShakeZula posted:

Eh, Morgan Saylor did a good job with what she was given (people were raving about her after the first season), she just suffered from how extraneous and boring the Brody family plots became. Holly Taylor is very good and held her own against Russell and Rhys this past season, but she also benefits from much better writing and the fact that her story is essentially the A-plot at this point instead of some disconnected side-story.
Basically I kinda wish Morgan Saylor got actual work, I could imagine she could pull her own weight. Whether or not she could be as good as Shipka or Taylor though is another thing entirely. But I'd want to be surprised.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snak posted:

You mean like if Paige Jennings infiltrated show business, became an actress, and played a character on Homeland?

Edit: this show has me fact-checking history too much. Its very educational.

Although (s1ep8 spoilers) if a bomb killed 3 FBI agents and a scientist in 1982, I can't find anything about it. So I'm gonna guess that didn't happen in real life. For a second, I thought "hey, are they making a Unabomber reference/retcon?" But that timeline doesn't line up either.
The Americans is absolutely ahistorical

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

At first, I thought the show was going to be the complete opposite of what it is, which would have been American spies in Russia.

Still, it worked out just fine, as the show is scary good and Elizabeth is one merciless psycho bitch who would murder her own kids if Mother Russia told her to and would do so while singing its national anthem. The show will be a total waste if we don't get a cut scene late in the series in which a despondent Elizabeth watches everything she fought so hard for and believed in crumble on television.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show is going to end with a jump cut to modern day 2017 and she's still undercover. I think Philip will defect long before that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Still, it worked out just fine, as the show is scary good and Elizabeth is one merciless psycho bitch who would murder her own kids if Mother Russia told her to and would do so while singing its national anthem. The show will be a total waste if we don't get a cut scene late in the series in which a despondent Elizabeth watches everything she fought so hard for and believed in crumble on television.

I've always been fascinated why half the posts in every Americans thread, every season, are exactly this. I'm not criticizing, it's just funny how it's something in so many poster's heads.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want them to pull the rug out from under us and have the Russians win the Cold War thanks to the hard work of the Jennings.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was going to praise "Rapper Warrior Ninja" from this week's Eric Andre Show and then I discovered it was double-length online.

And even funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58BN-w-lxg

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Funniest thing I've seen all year. I only see Eric Andre in little clips and interviews but I'm going to start watching that show.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Watch this week's episode (Stacey Dash/Jack McBrayer), it's an amazing double-feature that ends in the above skit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

At first, I thought the show was going to be the complete opposite of what it is, which would have been American spies in Russia.

cuz it's a stupid fuckin title

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Argue posted:

I want them to pull the rug out from under us and have the Russians win the Cold War thanks to the hard work of the Jennings.

I mean it's always something about Elizabeth, it's always something about her watching things happen on TV. Those are very specific elements.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

TV is actually an important part of The Americans and faithful to its setting.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Watch this week's episode (Stacey Dash/Jack McBrayer), it's an amazing double-feature that ends in the above skit.

I had no idea how much I missed Eric Andre until the show came back. Also, I hope this doesn't sound creepy but goddamn does Stacey Dash still look great.

It's just a shame about everything else she stands for. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though The Americans is a good show but I find Matthew Rhys' face extremely off-putting. Hopefully I can actually get through it soon.

• Locked thread