Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Looking for some feedback on my resume and how I can change it to help me transition from academia to industry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gdWW-jSi7QVDJyVUFxYVNkVUE/view

My thoughts were initially to work at the bench until something came up that I could transition in to. At this point, I've been applying to everything that I could possibly feel qualified for because I'm in a new area with no connections (left my job and relocated with my partner since she had a great opportunity). I'm not very picky about the type of work as long as I'm learning new things / making professional progress.

Ideally I'd move in to an engineering role so suggestions on how to bolster that section of my resume would be appreciated. I haven't really had the response that I figured I would (2 interviews in 3 months) given that I now live in one of the biotech hubs of America and it's starting to get discouraging. I'm going to have to find something soon so we're not living in poverty.

Maybe more for the career path thread but I'd be interested in hearing what sort of jobs I'd be qualified for based on my resume. Research is looking less and less appealing every time I apply to a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Mr Newsman posted:

Looking for some feedback on my resume and how I can change it to help me transition from academia to industry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gdWW-jSi7QVDJyVUFxYVNkVUE/view

My thoughts were initially to work at the bench until something came up that I could transition in to. At this point, I've been applying to everything that I could possibly feel qualified for because I'm in a new area with no connections (left my job and relocated with my partner since she had a great opportunity). I'm not very picky about the type of work as long as I'm learning new things / making professional progress.

Ideally I'd move in to an engineering role so suggestions on how to bolster that section of my resume would be appreciated. I haven't really had the response that I figured I would (2 interviews in 3 months) given that I now live in one of the biotech hubs of America and it's starting to get discouraging. I'm going to have to find something soon so we're not living in poverty.

Maybe more for the career path thread but I'd be interested in hearing what sort of jobs I'd be qualified for based on my resume. Research is looking less and less appealing every time I apply to a job.

Your resume looks academic, which will help when applying for academic / adjuncting jobs, but not in 'industry.' You probably want to identify specific technologies, programs, systems, etc., that you've used and are proficient in. Pare down the teaching section and amp up the researcher section, particularly with regard to accomplishments and methodologies.

Researcher positions, maybe adjuncting.
Maybe tutoring or teaching, if you want to continue with that -- but teaching jobs are tough to find and usually involve extra certification.
Given your background, I would also suggest looking for positions in technical writing -- science and literacy combine nicely in that field, and opportunities pay pretty well (and are fairly interesting).

(Good on you for being open to new, non -academic/research jobs, too).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
How do you all generally approach following up with HR personnel after interviews? I've been in the interview process with a company since the end of June and had my second interview with them a little over a week ago. Still haven't heard anything back. Should I give a call/email, or is that generally being too much of a pest?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

illcendiary posted:

How do you all generally approach following up with HR personnel after interviews? I've been in the interview process with a company since the end of June and had my second interview with them a little over a week ago. Still haven't heard anything back. Should I give a call/email, or is that generally being too much of a pest?

I'm in a similar boat. However, I know for a fact that their processes take several months to complete, so I'm not too too worried—yet.

I just don't know how to artfully broach the subject. I mean they reimbursed my travel expenses after a while without any prompting, so there's that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

I also don't think that talking about percentages of yearly sales targets in the context of sub-year periods is useful, at all. Many sectors see seasonal sales. How many pools get sold in December?
None with that attitude. Now get out there and close the sale.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Bitchkrieg posted:

Your resume looks academic, which will help when applying for academic / adjuncting jobs, but not in 'industry.' You probably want to identify specific technologies, programs, systems, etc., that you've used and are proficient in. Pare down the teaching section and amp up the researcher section, particularly with regard to accomplishments and methodologies.

Researcher positions, maybe adjuncting.
Maybe tutoring or teaching, if you want to continue with that -- but teaching jobs are tough to find and usually involve extra certification.
Given your background, I would also suggest looking for positions in technical writing -- science and literacy combine nicely in that field, and opportunities pay pretty well (and are fairly interesting).

(Good on you for being open to new, non -academic/research jobs, too).

Thank you for the comments. The idea behind the emphasis on the teaching was mostly so that I could convince people that I knew the engineering principles that someone with a bachelors would have, but I'll pare that down a bit since it isn't really what anyone is looking for. Out of the interviews I've had they've really wanted specifics on my research assistant experience which I really should have been better prepared to talk about.

I have thought about technical writing but haven't actively been searching in that area. I'll give it a look.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I got told by a company today that I didn't meet their standard based on my personality test results. lol

Probably not a company I want to work for.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Mr Newsman posted:

Thank you for the comments. The idea behind the emphasis on the teaching was mostly so that I could convince people that I knew the engineering principles that someone with a bachelors would have, but I'll pare that down a bit since it isn't really what anyone is looking for. Out of the interviews I've had they've really wanted specifics on my research assistant experience which I really should have been better prepared to talk about.

I have thought about technical writing but haven't actively been searching in that area. I'll give it a look.

Have you considered teaching at the community college level? It might not be easy to find full-time jobs as they outsource more of their teaching to adjuncts, but they're pretty decent jobs if you can find one. All teaching, no research or grant applications. My wife does it and loves it.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Handsome Wife posted:

Have you considered teaching at the community college level? It might not be easy to find full-time jobs as they outsource more of their teaching to adjuncts, but they're pretty decent jobs if you can find one. All teaching, no research or grant applications. My wife does it and loves it.

"If you can find one" is the operative phrase here.

These jobs are few and far between. I'd strongly suggest OP focus on landing a full time job, and then pursue a full time community college gig, if any are available.

These kinds of positions can take years to land, especially in fields that are saturated with master's -- biology, history, English, etc. - typically from lower tier schools. The hiring process is really slow, too, compounded by finding schools in locations you'd actually want to be (ie, not eastern Kentucky or rural Missouri).

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Bitchkrieg posted:

"If you can find one" is the operative phrase here.

These jobs are few and far between. I'd strongly suggest OP focus on landing a full time job, and then pursue a full time community college gig, if any are available.

These kinds of positions can take years to land, especially in fields that are saturated with master's -- biology, history, English, etc. - typically from lower tier schools. The hiring process is really slow, too, compounded by finding schools in locations you'd actually want to be (ie, not eastern Kentucky or rural Missouri).

Yeah I got very very lucky with my teaching gig (full time, benefits, summers off) but don't really care much for teaching.

That's not to say I can't do it or wouldn't, but I think I'd like to get back into the lab or work on some medical device/point of care diagnostics design / QA-QC.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

vyst posted:

I got told by a company today that I didn't meet their standard based on my personality test results. lol

Probably not a company I want to work for.

Wow bad luck. What is your personality type?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Breath Ray posted:

Wow bad luck. What is your personality type?
Nah, that's good luck. When a company shows themselves to be batshit crazy before you work for them, it's a bullet dodged.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Dik Hz posted:

Nah, that's good luck. When a company shows themselves to be batshit crazy before you work for them, it's a bullet dodged.

I applied to researcher position at one of the biggest names in surveys and polls several months ago. I was rejected because of the personality test...for a position where they were specifically recruiting PhDs with an experimental psychology background.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Pretty much this. Any company that makes me take a personality exam that was 120 questions, and also on top of that included speed timed math questions for an IT Project Manager role is probably not a great company to work for.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poeticoddity posted:

I applied to researcher position at one of the biggest names in surveys and polls several months ago. I was rejected because of the personality test...for a position where they were specifically recruiting PhDs with an experimental psychology background.
Yeah. It's like the tech companies that are striving for diversity, but all hiring is done based on how similar you are to the owner.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

vyst posted:

Pretty much this. Any company that makes me take a personality exam that was 120 questions, and also on top of that included speed timed math questions for an IT Project Manager role is probably not a great company to work for.

Does it make you think you aren't as suited for IT project management as you thought?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Does it make you think you aren't as suited for IT project management as you thought?

Not at all. I've been doing it for 10 years lol. I am genuinely curious at my results though

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah. It's like the tech companies that are striving for diversity, but all hiring is done based on how similar you are to the owner.
You'll find this in basically any industry where managers receive no actual management training at any point and treat research the same way anti-vaxxers do.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Vulture Culture posted:

You'll find this in basically any industry where managers receive no actual management training at any point and treat research the same way anti-vaxxers do.

I'm surprised to hear so many people are getting these...I've been on at least 15 in person interviews and probably 30 phone interviews in the last 3 years and no one ever gave me a personality test. Was an engineer in the tech industry too.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm surprised to hear so many people are getting these...I've been on at least 15 in person interviews and probably 30 phone interviews in the last 3 years and no one ever gave me a personality test. Was an engineer in the tech industry too.

Before I graduated I had an interview for an entry level position at an engineering company (non-tech) where they gave me a 100 question personality test. They also asked for my SAT scores and weren't happy with my answer when I told them I never took it as I started at community college.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

Before I graduated I had an interview for an entry level position at an engineering company (non-tech) where they gave me a 100 question personality test. They also asked for my SAT scores and weren't happy with my answer when I told them I never took it as I started at community college.

I don't think I have ever had one ask about high school either...what is this bizarro world of personality tests and high school mattering?!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

CarForumPoster posted:

I don't think I have ever had one ask about high school either...what is this bizarro world of personality tests and high school mattering?!

The wasteland of retail and food service.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Forceholy posted:

The wasteland of retail and food service.

Ahh, the people hiring me have had at least a Master's degree since ~2008 and I think that makes a difference. Those industries, from my observations on this forum, do not value education. Having well educated bosses owns. (unless youre in grad school and a TA/RA)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Shipon posted:

In the tech industry, personality tests are fairly uncommon, but you do have people making poo poo up about "culture fit" without having any idea what they're looking for. Hiring managers and committees self-select people who remind them of themselves.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

In the tech industry, personality tests are fairly uncommon, but you do have people making poo poo up about "culture fit" without having any idea what they're looking for. Hiring managers and committees self-select people who remind them of themselves.

"Oh I liked that guy, he had a Zelda shirt and mentioned liking NASA, let's hire him"

"Hmm why is almost everyone in our company a white guy from 20-45? Must just be the best candidates."

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Help me with some wording: I'm employed at a small business. I don't have equity in it. I had a very active role in its inception, was involved in the project before the business was founded, set up a lot of systems & policies, was fairly instrumental in getting the business "out of the woods" through its first two years. It's growing well. I have revenue and growth numbers. According to the owner, I'm the #1 person other than him when it comes to its success.

On my resume, the first two bullets about it are:

* Founding member of (business description)
* Directed the #### department, responsible for two thirds of business’s revenue, which currently generates ####

These bullets kind of suck, and "founding member" is not a verb. Can anybody help me figure out how to emphasize my involvement in the business's foundation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how about "founded X, a business that Ys"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Saeku posted:

Help me with some wording: I'm employed at a small business. I don't have equity in it. I had a very active role in its inception, was involved in the project before the business was founded, set up a lot of systems & policies, was fairly instrumental in getting the business "out of the woods" through its first two years. It's growing well. I have revenue and growth numbers. According to the owner, I'm the #1 person other than him when it comes to its success.

On my resume, the first two bullets about it are:

* Founding member of (business description)
* Directed the #### department, responsible for two thirds of business’s revenue, which currently generates ####

These bullets kind of suck, and "founding member" is not a verb. Can anybody help me figure out how to emphasize my involvement in the business's foundation?

I'd leave it as Founding member of XXXX. It perfectly encapsulates what you did. Sure it's not an action verb, but I think you're fine in this case. Especially if your other bullet points show the growth of the business.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If I want to make a resume for office jobs (such as data entry or other such administrative work) but have never had much of an office job before, how would I go about it? I was a grad student for three years and am a goon and therefore know my way around a computer so I do have a lot of the skills required.

I did have a four month position with a non-profit two years ago that involved a lot of office work so obviously that's going on there, but it will be kind of bare if I just leave it at that.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Can I get input on my draft resume as well? Also on the "never had an office job" train: I'm graduating college in a year and looking to line a job before then in commercial banking, particularly credit analysis/risk analysis.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxovCp6k6ZyWVzNPcnJDSHRZbDQ/view

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I just got laid off this past week, so I'm in the process of redoing my resume. Obviously I"m gonna have to change the end date of my last position to this month. Do hiring managers give a poo poo if I'm unemployed at the moment (obviously through no fault of my own)? I've not had to look for a job since college, so it's been a while since I've done the whole job hunt/resume thing.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
How well do you need to know a skill to list it on a resume? There's obviously a world of difference between "did a few hours of exercises in this programming language on a website" and "15 years of professional experience," but what is the cutoff for putting it on paper?

Also, I'd appreciate any critique on my current resume. I'm thinking I should remove "relevant coursework" and replace it with a summary now that I'm no longer a new grad, even though I'm looking for entry level design engineering work.

http://i.imgur.com/zyT3CR8.png

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

How well do you need to know a skill to list it on a resume? There's obviously a world of difference between "did a few hours of exercises in this programming language on a website" and "15 years of professional experience," but what is the cutoff for putting it on paper?
If I'm a good hiring manager, I don't care what you know. I've interviewed way too many autodidacts who can pontificate on productivity or best practices for weeks uninterrupted, but have never created anything worth anything. What have you actually done? If it's professional, cool. If it was a hobby, cool. Did you have something to show for it at the end?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

If I'm a good hiring manager, I don't care what you know. I've interviewed way too many autodidacts who can pontificate on productivity or best practices for weeks uninterrupted, but have never created anything worth anything. What have you actually done? If it's professional, cool. If it was a hobby, cool. Did you have something to show for it at the end?

To add onto this, how did you learn how to do it? I'd much rather know a programmer that works to expand their library into areas might be unfamiliar to them. Initiative, and all of that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Also, I'd appreciate any critique on my current resume. I'm thinking I should remove "relevant coursework" and replace it with a summary now that I'm no longer a new grad, even though I'm looking for entry level design engineering work.

http://i.imgur.com/zyT3CR8.png
Hoo boy. Google docs are your friend. Critiquing a resume in an image file is a pain, but I'll extensively endeavor to do so.

Your honor society doesn't mean much, and your relevant coursework is pretty irrelevant after you've had a professional job. So lead with your professional job.

Your first five bullet points should start with:

• Troubleshot
  • Provided
  • Developed
  • Remotely repaired
  • Audited

If you want more details, provide a document format where I don't have to type everything out myself.

Also, you include a lot of meaningless words like safely, intricate, multitude, and extensively. Quantitate if you can. If you can't, just state what you did without flowery bullshit.

Sorry for the tough love, but drop the spin and just state what you did.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Hoo boy. Google docs are your friend. Critiquing a resume in an image file is a pain, but I'll extensively endeavor to do so.

Your honor society doesn't mean much, and your relevant coursework is pretty irrelevant after you've had a professional job. So lead with your professional job.

Your first five bullet points should start with:

• Troubleshot
  • Provided
  • Developed
  • Remotely repaired
  • Audited

If you want more details, provide a document format where I don't have to type everything out myself.

Also, you include a lot of meaningless words like safely, intricate, multitude, and extensively. Quantitate if you can. If you can't, just state what you did without flowery bullshit.

Sorry for the tough love, but drop the spin and just state what you did.

Thanks for the tough love, I appreciate it. Here's a link to the resume on google docs. gently caress me up!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanks for the tough love, I appreciate it. Here's a link to the resume on google docs. gently caress me up!

Looks good to me. I don't think you need a summary, but some people like them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really liked Hog Illustrations format so I stole it for my own, wondering if you guys could help me out, I really need it. Like I said earlier my problem is I've only had one job in my life and I rose through the ranks very fast.

So I wasn't sure waht the best way of formatting for it would be, so I tried my hand. I also don't think i'm giving my current occupation that much credit, but before I edited it a bit all of the "other projects" portion where below that current job occupation heading. Should I move them back? I feel like they don't correlate to my job title but theyre all things I've done under the current job title

link

I really would love to get it to be all on one page so I debated on dropping some of those projects or the technical skills in general.

The TripAdvisor stuff I wasn't sure about, but in my current occupation it's a big deal© so I put it on there. I'm sure other real companies don't care but I wasn't sure. Any help is appreciated goons love you.

e; I DO have another job I could put on there, involving the ski industry, but it's a lovely entry level job that I still hold onto now a days for funsies. I'm not sure if it's worth putting on though, but I guess I could?

Also what are you guys opinions on volunteering and listing that?

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 15, 2016

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
One final request for help: here's the summary I put at the top of my resume instead of relevant coursework. The thing I'm not 100% on is describing myself as entry level, but it is accurate and I feel it gives prospective employers/recruiters a sense of what type of position I'm looking for

"Entry-level electrical engineer with project experience in firmware design, digital electronics design, PCB layout, schematic capture, and board-level debugging. Two years of real-world experience as a field service engineer, where I have solved challenging problems in high-pressure manufacturing environments."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

One final request for help: here's the summary I put at the top of my resume instead of relevant coursework. The thing I'm not 100% on is describing myself as entry level, but it is accurate and I feel it gives prospective employers/recruiters a sense of what type of position I'm looking for

"Entry-level electrical engineer with project experience in firmware design, digital electronics design, PCB layout, schematic capture, and board-level debugging. Two years of real-world experience as a field service engineer, where I have solved challenging problems in high-pressure manufacturing environments."
Speaking as a dude that hires entry level engineers, I don't read summary statements. I go to the first listed job to asses your experience. If it's entry level, I look at your degree. After that, I've made my decision and everything else is meaningless. That's just me,though.