Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

What CPU and what monitor do you use now? A gsync monitor is more likely going to enhance quality of life.

A 21 inch 60hz 1080p monitor and a i5 2400 at 3.1ghz, not an OC'ed 2500 at 4.6ghz like every joe sixpack. Would a recent skylake make much of a difference to consider it before a g-sync monitor? I might not reach 144fps but my 1070 can still push doom to 100fps and g-sync also has benefits when going under 60fps I believe.

Otakufag fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a way to get MSI Afterburner to turn off an OC at the launch of a game? Overwatch doesn't accept any OC for some reason and it's really annoying to keep switching back and forth.

Oh and how does this On-Screen Display work? I have the Toggle hotkey set, but it does nothing when I press it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Otakufag posted:

A 21 inch 60hz 1080p monitor and a i5 2400 at 3.1ghz, not an OC'ed 2500 at 4.6ghz like every joe sixpack. Would a recent skylake make much of a difference to consider it before a g-sync monitor? I might not reach 144fps but my 1070 can still push doom to 100fps and g-sync also has benefits when going under 60fps I believe.

Wait wait wait. You have a 1070, and you use it with a 21 inch 1080p monitor/ 3ghz 2400 i5? And you're wondering if you should replace the monitor or not?

You shouldn't have bought a 1070 at all. Now that you have though, you should really replace basically your whole computer including your monitor if you want to utilize your $450 investment.

In reality you should have bought a 480 or 1060 and called it a day, most likely.

Also I don't think you get what "Joe Sixpack" means.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 12, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Even though a CPU upgrade would give you a nice performance bump, I'm not sure you'd benefit from it at 1080p@60Hz. If your card has a dual-link DVI port you could split the difference and get a 1440p Korean monitor and a new i5.

Edit: If it has to be one or the other than I vote for the Gsync monitor as the better QoL buy.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 12, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Otakufag posted:

I'd go with the nice monitor now and save up for a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade in the future. By the time you have the money for it the next generation of Intel's CPUs will probably be out so you would see even more of a performance benefit going with that route.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Otakufag posted:

I bought a 1070 and have enough spare money for a gsync monitor or a cpu+mobo+ddr4 upgrade from a i5 second gen. Which one would change my quality of life more?

I'd vote G-SYNC

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What would the GPU thread be without speculation over product releases more than a year out?

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/12/nvidia-corporations-volta-rumored-to-be-a-monster.aspx

quote:

According to a translation of USG Ishimura's post, the performance of GV104 -- the Volta-based successor to the recently released GP104 chip (which powers the GeForce GTX 1070 and GeForce GTX 1080 graphics cards) -- will offer "really strong" performance.

This performance enhancement, the user indicates, is due to the fact that the "sm structure [has] changed" relative to the prior-generation Pascal architecture (in NVIDIA's graphics architecture, "SM" is short for "streaming multiprocessor."

According to USG Ishimura, NVIDIA is actually planning not two, but three high-end gaming graphics processors based on Volta this time around: GV104, GV110, and GV102.

It's not clear how GV110 and GV102 will be differentiated, but I would imagine that GV110 will be an even higher-performance product than GV102, which could potentially allow NVIDIA to introduce a performance and price tier above the $1,200 level that the GP102-based Titan X sells for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Motley Fool is the Jim Cramer of stock websites. All that's missing is crazy pop-ups like bulls with bulging eyes.

nVidia had its 'holy poo poo I need to own this stock' days back in the late 90s/early 00s. Now it's like buying stock in Ferrari hoping they're going to make a commuter car that every single family in the world will buy simply so they can say they own a Ferrari.

Also, Happy Millennium Page.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

What would the GPU thread be without speculation over product releases more than a year out?

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/12/nvidia-corporations-volta-rumored-to-be-a-monster.aspx

a price tier above the new titan? good god.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

afkmacro posted:

Welcome to the new normal if AMD bricks it again. =/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

afkmacro posted:

Coming Soon: NVIDIA Financing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Motley Fool is the Jim Cramer of stock websites. All that's missing is crazy pop-ups like bulls with bulging eyes.

nVidia had its 'holy poo poo I need to own this stock' days back in the late 90s/early 00s. Now it's like buying stock in Ferrari hoping they're going to make a commuter car that every single family in the world will buy simply so they can say they own a Ferrari.

Also, Happy Millennium Page.

I always read Ashraf Eassa's stuff since he seems to care a lot more about the tech itself as opposed to stock prices, especially GPU related stuff.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
just wanted to post on the

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Happy Millennium Page.

but for some content, here's a quote for nvidia's quarterly sales

quote:

Nvidia's gaming unit brought in $781 million, growing 18%. There, Nvidia still has a major runway with the new Pascal 1070/1080 GPUs still "an immaterial percentage" of the mix, and the circa-2015 Maxwell predecessor only at 33%, Mizuho analyst Vijay Rakesh says.

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/nvidia-rakes-in-record-sales-but-intel-mobileye-bmw-rivalry-looms/

Probably give us a rough idea of the amount off cards they were able to sell in one quarter (and a little more credence to the idea that "100,000 cards by the end of the month" is a pitiful number)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

afkmacro posted:

Time to sell my house to quad SLI them :getin:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was reading some rumors, apparently nvidia's next cards will be produced by Samsung on 14nm?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Taima posted:

Wait wait wait. You have a 1070, and you use it with a 21 inch 1080p monitor/ 3ghz 2400 i5? And you're wondering if you should replace the monitor or not?

You shouldn't have bought a 1070 at all. Now that you have though, you should really replace basically your whole computer including your monitor if you want to utilize your $450 investment.

In reality you should have bought a 480 or 1060 and called it a day, most likely.

Also I don't think you get what "Joe Sixpack" means.

That's dumb as hell. I'm waiting on the rest of my components and I'm in the middle of building a brand new system, but I put the 1070 into my old i5-2400 build and it was absolutely a worthwhile upgrade. And lo and behold, if you want to upgrade in the future, you've got a great card to work with.

He should definitely go with the gsync monitor, especially if he can get a 1440p because it will still run most everything like a charm.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

just wanted to post on the

but for some content, here's a quote for nvidia's quarterly sales

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/nvidia-rakes-in-record-sales-but-intel-mobileye-bmw-rivalry-looms/

Probably give us a rough idea of the amount off cards they were able to sell in one quarter (and a little more credence to the idea that "100,000 cards by the end of the month" is a pitiful number)

Meanwhile, I read a bunch of AMD fans/trolls claiming that "NVIDIA starting the Volta hypetrain already" is proof that Pascal is a huge failure :frogbon:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 12, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I disagree as well, there's nothing inherently wrong with buying a 1070 for 1080p or coupled with a Sandy Bridge i5. Just because every part of your system isn't exactly matched in performance doesn't make it a bad purchase.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 12, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd go with the nice monitor now and save up for a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade in the future. By the time you have the money for it the next generation of Intel's CPUs will probably be out so you would see even more of a performance benefit going with that route.

Yeah this is the best advice. A 27" 1440 will be the biggest difference. You can always set settings down a touch from ultra if performance hurts, ignore people who think you need 90+ fps at ultra or don't bother playing. Gsync helps with fps dips too.

I would start squirreling away for a new board, CPU, ram. Don't bother trying to just replace your CPU.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I just installed my 1080 and tried it in Doom and holy poo poo. 1440p 60fps ultra plays perfect. I was split between getting the card or a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor first and now know I made the right choice. Going from a 960 to this is amazing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Oh you've still got a GTX 1080? That's a good card...for a clown to use at the circus. lmao if you don't have a GV110

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wouldn't 110 be, you know, worse than 108? Itd be like 1120 poo poo tier. And i think that 14nm for the next gen is mixing rumors up......

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the name of the chip, not the card. I have no idea what naming system they're going to be using, probably 11x0. Though they did skip the 800 series for some reason?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wouldn't 110 be, you know, worse than 108? Itd be like 1120 poo poo tier. And i think that 14nm for the next gen is mixing rumors up......
It gets confusing, but 110 is considered the top of a new range, with 114-118 below it. (If they exist, not all positions get used for all generations)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

DrNutt posted:

That's dumb as hell. I'm waiting on the rest of my components and I'm in the middle of building a brand new system, but I put the 1070 into my old i5-2400 build and it was absolutely a worthwhile upgrade. And lo and behold, if you want to upgrade in the future, you've got a great card to work with.

He should definitely go with the gsync monitor, especially if he can get a 1440p because it will still run most everything like a charm.

If he had bought a 480 and rode it out this generation, then used all of that extra money next cycle, he would be in a much better place overall long term, as someone with a low amount of disposable income.

The way he is doing it now is a waste of money if he doesn't intend to upgrade his bottlenecks this generation. It's only going to bottleneck more as time goes on.

I do not see how this is controversial at all, let alone "dumb as hell" but here we are.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Taima posted:

If he had bought a 480 and rode it out this generation, then used all of that extra money next cycle, he would be in a much better place overall long term, as someone with a low amount of disposable income.

The way he is doing it now is a waste of money if he doesn't intend to upgrade his bottlenecks this generation. It's only going to bottleneck more as time goes on.

I do not see how this is controversial at all, let alone "dumb as hell" but here we are.

Because some people will upgrade components as time goes on? One of the advantages of PC gaming is being able to upgrade parts over time as needed and not having to drop 1000 bucks on a brand new machine every time a new GPU cycle or CPU iteration is out.

e: And just glancing at 1060/480 prices on Amazon, a 1070 is a hell of a lot better investment at the moment. The difference between the 1070s and the 1080s tends to be 150-200 but when the difference of the 1060 and the 1070 is less than a hundred bucks, I'd be hard pressed to get the 1060.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
nvidia doing tick tock now???

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Because some people will upgrade components as time goes on? One of the advantages of PC gaming is being able to upgrade parts over time as needed and not having to drop 1000 bucks on a brand new machine every time a new GPU cycle or CPU iteration is out.

e: And just glancing at 1060/480 prices on Amazon, a 1070 is a hell of a lot better investment at the moment. The difference between the 1070s and the 1080s tends to be 150-200 but when the difference of the 1060 and the 1070 is less than a hundred bucks, I'd be hard pressed to get the 1060.

Yeah, that's exactly why I decided to spend on the 1070 instead of the 1060 or 480... I know it's not optimal with my setup but the difference in price was small for a much better product.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
TechReport had to retest everything they've done with the new AMD cards. TL;DR, old motherboard BIOS caused DPC latency, frame time to suffer. Of marginal interest, since they were the only ones with results drastically different from the rest of the pack. (Read: AMD made a great 970 competitor. :v:)

Mea culpa here: https://techreport.com/blog/30506/re-examining-the-unusual-frame-time-results-in-our-radeon-rx-470-review

Updated benchmarks of the 470 and 480: https://techreport.com/review/30473/amd-radeon-rx-470-graphics-card-reviewed

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 13, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Otakufag posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why I decided to spend on the 1070 instead of the 1060 or 480... I know it's not optimal with my setup but the difference in price was small for a much better product.

You won't be bottlenecked in most applications, that doesn't happen much anymore. With the rest of your components you'll get better performance with a 1070 than a 1060 (ergo, not bottlenecked). You made the right call.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Taima posted:

Depends on the game, some games would be bottlenecked by a non-OC'd Sandy Bridge and some would not, it's by no means a black-and-white situation. I have a Titan X Pascal with a 2600k and I haven't run into any bottlenecking issues yet, it's very situational.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Malcolm XML posted:

nvidia doing tick tock now???
The main difference in 14vs16nm is BEOL size, and I have to laugh at the speculation that the 14nm rumors means that Nvidia is switching completely. For all we know, it could just mean than Samsung will start to make other stuff, such as low end pascal or tegra stuff. They make a ton of other SoCs after all (Apple, Exynos, Snapdragon for example)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The main difference in 14vs16nm is BEOL size, and I have to laugh at the speculation that the 14nm rumors means that Nvidia is switching completely. For all we know, it could just mean than Samsung will start to make other stuff, such as low end pascal or tegra stuff. They make a ton of other SoCs after all (Apple, Exynos, Snapdragon for example)

It seems a lot more likely that Nvidia would move low-power stuff like Tegra over to Samsung.

Take one look at how AMD's desktop video chips are coming out of Samsung's process tech over at Global Foundries (not well at all) compared to the job TSMC is doing fabbing chips for Nvidia. I don't think Nvidia wants to make their high-end GPUs on Samsung's process tech, which seems to be geared towards SoCs and other mobile chips.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Depends on the game, some games would be bottlenecked by a non-OC'd Sandy Bridge and some would not, it's by no means a black-and-white situation. I have a Titan X Pascal with a 2600k and I haven't run into any bottlenecking issues yet, it's very situational.

Having a 2600k with a Titan X Pascal actually transcends being weird and goes back to awesome.. Have you really not run into a bottleneck yet? That's pretty interesting. What's your monitor?

I just recently upgraded from a 2500k to Skylake, but for a few weeks I had the 1070 with the 2500k alone. I did subjectively feel that games ran better with the Skylake such as Witcher 3 on ultrawide 3440x1440.

It wasn't all the time, but on the 2500k I could feel it microstutter every so often where something was happening... whether that was texture load or just briefly hitting the CPU ceiling for whatever reason. I haven't noticed anything like that since getting the Skylake.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 13, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Taima posted:

Having a 2600k with a Titan X Pascal actually transcends being weird and goes back to awesome.. Have you really not run into a bottleneck yet? That's pretty interesting. What's your monitor?

I just recently upgraded from a 2500k to Skylake, but for a few weeks I had the 1070 with the 2500k alone. I did subjectively feel that games ran better with the Skylake such as Witcher 3 on ultrawide 3440x1440.

It wasn't all the time, but on the 2500k I could feel it microstutter every so often where something was happening... whether that was texture load or just briefly hitting the CPU ceiling for whatever reason. I haven't noticed anything like that since getting the Skylake.

How fast was your RAM? How fast is your new RAM? It seems that makes the bigger difference than the processors themselves.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

It seems a lot more likely that Nvidia would move low-power stuff like Tegra over to Samsung.

Take one look at how AMD's desktop video chips are coming out of Samsung's process tech over at Global Foundries (not well at all) compared to the job TSMC is doing fabbing chips for Nvidia. I don't think Nvidia wants to make their high-end GPUs on Samsung's process tech, which seems to be geared towards SoCs and other mobile chips.

Well to be perfectly fair, glofo might be loving up the process somehow or Polaris' design is flawed or something and can't get the speeds they want.
I don't understand the physics well enough, but I can't see how whatever ln14lpcdwhateverthefuck wouldn't work for "high power" stuff unless they aren't giving enough fins for the transistors to carry current well enough (which makes me wonder if there is a fin difference between tsmc/Intel and samsung) or tsmc has an awesome process tech that allows that much current and/or improves rise/fall times a ton.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Maybe this belongs in the other parts thread. All I really do is play Arma 3, Overwatch and the occasional Steam game. I really want to upgrade from my 7750 to a 480 but my CPU is kind of old; it's an i5-3470. It's really not a bad little chip, but I want to upgrade my Dell U2412M to a 24" or 27" IPS with the fancy new refresh rates that the 480 would support. How much of a horrible bottleneck would I hit if I just upgraded the video card and monitor?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Concurred posted:

Maybe this belongs in the other parts thread. All I really do is play Arma 3, Overwatch and the occasional Steam game. I really want to upgrade from my 7750 to a 480 but my CPU is kind of old; it's an i5-3470. It's really not a bad little chip, but I want to upgrade my Dell U2412M to a 24" or 27" IPS with the fancy new refresh rates that the 480 would support. How much of a horrible bottleneck would I hit if I just upgraded the video card and monitor?

I'm using a 470 with an i5-4570 which isn't that much faster than your CPU. That said, you'll see a huge benefit to upgrading the video card. The 7750 is old and slow.

I played with the settings on my Powercolor 470 a bit today. AMD clearly has these running at the edge. It will run all day at ~1150 MHz but won't stay at boost clock (1270 MHz) even with a +25% power limit. A gentle undervolt of 20 mV takes 5 degrees off the GPU temp, and that plus the power limit keeps it at boost all the time. It's clearly power limited since Powercolor's cooler does a great job keeping it <80C.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 13, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Concurred posted:

The 480 has higher CPU overhead in the driver than the GTX1060, with your slower CPU you'll be better off getting a 1060. It's a noticeably faster card for not much more more, even ignoring the CPU overhead difference. The only spanner in the works of the 1060 is that the 480 has Freesync whereas the 1060 is stuck with GSync. If you were looking at, say, a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor then the freesync options are ~$150 cheaper than the GSync options. You might be able to avoid this with a refurb or bargain hunting on the GSync side however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Reviews make it look like the ASUS Strix RX 470 is worse than reference aside for turning the fans off at idle. Am I misreading them, or did Asus gently caress something up big time on the 470?