Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Every time I see something about Hope Solo being a garbage human being, I just remember I've seen her roast beef curtains and hairy rear end in a top hat.

im the hairy butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he capybara'd him in the face.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno why the article mentions their respective martial arts cause what they wrote happened is the judo guy drunkenly took a swing at the receptionist who punched him back.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chinatown posted:

im the hairy butthole

hey bb

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only good thing about this loss is that i don't have to defend hope solo from saving the USWNT and can just call her a horrible piece of poo poo

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This gets muddled though when the IOC shifts blame on to Rio like they had nothing to do with building or maintaining the venue. IOC pretends they handed the whole thing over to Rio and it's Rio's fault things aren't up to standard, and IOC gets to play the role of a disappointed parent.
the IOC does have plausible deniability because they put forward exactly zero dollars to help Rio set things up

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'm somewhat proud of taking better care of my pool than Rio officials do of the Olympic pools

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The hero Rio needs right now.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

WhyteRyce posted:

With chemistry, it's a pinch of this, a dash of that, and a smidge of everything else

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lets keep your fancy science talk out of this thread. We're not all water wizards, you know.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
At this point I'm just assuming they filled the pools with the dregs of all the discard Gatorade bottles.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Thats just efficiency, replenish your electrolytes as you swim.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Swim fast, lest you replenish the pool.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Is the streaming quality better with premium Beebs or is it just a money grab? Regular Beebs is buffering every min or two and the stream quality isn't that great.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is an actual athlete named Hope Solo and you guys just aren't talking about Star Wars, right?

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
nope, just talking about bullseying womp rats in beggars canyon.

And meter wide exhaust ports.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

There is an actual athlete named Hope Solo and you guys just aren't talking about Star Wars, right?
unfortunately she's a real person. she assaulted her niece and before she got married to an NFL player, they were both involved in a domestic dispute. she's a very good goalie but i hope her skills have deteriorated enough so that we never have to see her play anymore

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

The pool demands a sacrifice!
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/watch-olympic-diver-scores-zero-for-back-flop-230335311.html

The cheering at the end makes me think this belongs in the schadenfreude thread.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Moridin920 posted:

I just googled 'Olympics' to catch up on the news and

seems apt?

This is some amateur-level planking. I thought the Olympics were supposed to be the best of the best?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/watch-olympic-diver-scores-zero-for-back-flop-230335311.html

The cheering at the end makes me think this belongs in the schadenfreude thread.

I love the sound the announcer makes when she hits... "UhhhhhhhhH!"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Is the immediate shower afterward typical diving procedure or because rio can't keep poo poo out of an indoor pool?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The site where I get day pictures from hasn't updated yet, so here is some other day 7's in pictures.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-13/rio-olympics---day-seven-in-pictures/7731308
http://www.dw.com/en/rio-in-pictures-day-7/g-19471905
http://www.newsday.com/sports/olympics/rio-olympics-beach-volleyball-pictures-on-day-7-1.12167805

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The coach of the German canutes got in a strange car accident along with a colleague when they both took a taxi:

quote:

In a statement, the taxi driver Artur de Almeida Campos, 26, claimed Cristian had suddenly grabbed the wheel as he took a fork in the road on the main Avenida das Americas expresway and the car smashed head-on with a concrete barrier.

Henze, who was hit badly on the head, was then transported to the hospital designated by the IOC for treatment of Olympic participants, but it turns out that due to funding cuts the hospital's neurosurgery department had to be closed several years ago and so he had to be transported to yet another hospital. I'll translate from a German article:

Spiegel Online posted:

Just like the departments for vascular and cardiothoracic surgery, the neurosurgery department had to be closed four years ago due to cuts in funding, even though the hospital's emergency ward has to deal with on average 350 car accidents per month. Until Henze could receive proper treatment, critical minutes were lost due to this.

The Lourenco Jorge Hospital is located near to the multi-lane Avenida das Américas, the accident-ridden main road of Barra da Tijuca - just on this road, Henze and his companions had hit a wall.

"It is irresponsible, that this hosital is not properly fitted for emergency surgery, even though so many bad accidents happen in its vicinity. It shouldn't have been designated as a reference clinic for the Games", the president of the doctors' union of Rio de Janeiro Jorge Darze told the SPIEGEL sevefral days before the accident.

The situation in the public hospitals of Rio is dramatic. Many of them lack X-ray and tomography machines as well as other vital equipment. Doctors and nurses are paid their salary by installments, because the state is virtually bancrupt. Contractors hired to keep the hospitals clean haven't paid their employees in months. The number of infections and deaths has risen drastically according to hospital doctors, who spoke with Der SPIEGEL but did not want to be quoted by name.

In the Carlos Chagas Hospital near to the Olympic Area of Deodore, operating rooms are cleaned by a company not licensed for the special demands of hospital cleaning. The hospitals lack syringes, threads and important medicine like antiobiotcs. In the Carlos Chagas Hospital and the Pedro Ernesto University Hospital, which is near to the Maracanã stadium, hundreds of beds had to be mothballed because there are not enough doctors or operationg equipment

And in other news: German former beach volleyball player Julius Brink, who has visited the Rio games as a TV expert, just posted a long rant on Facebook decrying the IOC:

quote:

With every walk I take to these wonderful beach volleyball stadiums lying at the feet of Sugarloaf Mountain [...] I realise more, how much this propagating of values by the IOC has turned into a farce, and how much the world is being lied to. Some examples: Remember the message from the opening ceremony? Thinking green - we have to take care of this planet, there is only one Mother Earth... [...]
Sadly, reality is different. I don't see even a bit of this thought in what the organisers are doing here. Instead the media shuttle busses are kept running for hours on parking lots, even though neither a driver nor passengers are anywhere near. The AC *has* to be kept on, they say, or it would be too hot in the busses. Really - at 13 °C outside and rain?
It is not allowed to walk the 400 metres from the International Broadcasting Centre to the TV studios, because you cross two accreditation zones. You have to (!) take the car for that.
AC is running nonstop in the press areas, even though it is winter in Brazil. And concerning us beach volleyball players: Do we really need this helicopter cam for group stage games? 14 hours of flight for 1,5 seconds of footage per game? That the IOC has completely lost its credibility should be clear to everyone. For example: a Lebanese athlete refuses to share a bus with Israelis. No comment by the IOC. Do you remember the black ribbon with which the Norwegian players started at the Games in Sochi? The IOC officially reprimanded them - "We do not want political games" [...]
When I have to see on several occasions how (even though public transport and the olympic lane work quite well) the fat bosses of international sport (who don't look like they did any sports recently) let themselves be driven around in their huge limousines and roads are closed just for them, then this is the ugly face of Olympia.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The athletes who won't shake hands with Israeli's or share a bus with them are Lebanese right?

Lebanese HATE Isreali's.

Edit: For additional context, Israel's invaded Lebanon three times. The first two times were to kick out the dozens of PLO fighters and install a Christian leader supported by allied militias, the third time was to attack the Hezbollah fighters who set up camp in Lebanon as a consequence of the first two invasions. This is an oversimplification of course.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 13, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
As much as I dislike Zionism (Judaism is cool but they aren't one and the same) just shake hands. The whole point of the Olympics and sports in general is to get your dumb aggression out on the field.

I mean sure people are going to die when some shoddy bleachers fall apart but at least it won't be from hate, just neglect.

Athletes are supposed to represent their people and if they carry grudges then what even is the point of it all?

You can't shake a paw, gtfo or just let's forget the Olympics and train up all the kids for war instead.

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
The man is racist

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oops, bus was Lebanese, hands was Egyptian. C'mon Judo guy, Egypt and Israel have had a peace treaty since the 70s and closely cooperate on certain security matters. Bury the hatchet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sweden beat America? Hehe, that's good

that's good

:sweden:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
BRICS are totally going to take over the world. As soon as they learn indoor plumbing and high school chemistry.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

syscall girl posted:

Athletes are supposed to represent their people and if they carry grudges then what even is the point of it all?
Russian and Ukrainian athletes took a group photo together.
http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/greatness/1018104.html

Some Ukrainian President's advisor is having a fit on social media.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Russian and Ukrainian athletes took a group photo together.
http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/greatness/1018104.html

Some Ukrainian President's advisor is having a fit on social media.

That's actually really sweet.

I don't want to dig down into some political paranoia bs, I'm just going to enjoy that as it is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In all fairness Picanha is amazing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm not sure exactly why, but this is very amusing to me.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

System Metternich posted:

And in other news: German former beach volleyball player Julius Brink, who has visited the Rio games as a TV expert, just posted a long rant on Facebook decrying the IOC:

In Rio's defense, Germany is the gold standard of environmentalism, and he could go to any country and take them to task.

As a sidebar, if you ever interview to work at a German company, like Bosche or Siemens, even in America, you may want to double check that their offices are air conditioned.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

BRICS are totally going to take over the world. As soon as they learn indoor plumbing and high school chemistry.

Why learn chemistry? It isn't even an exact science.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the IOC is in full-blown "not our problem" mode, which would be glorious to watch if it didn't gently caress over rio and the brazilian government so hard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The more rarely seen "we only gave the orders" defence.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm not sure exactly why, but this is very amusing to me.

Why is this here, its clearly a political cartoon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mjqAhtbYO4

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
German discus champ is super, super relaxed and casual on the podium. May have had a celebratory drink already, might not pass a drug test for dope tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

goatface posted:

German discus champ is super, super relaxed and casual on the podium. May have had a celebratory drink already, might not pass a drug test for dope tomorrow.

When the Polish guy went last they were asking if he could beat the German, my first though was "at drinking". I'd watch that competition.

Who thought that the sprinter-face-slow-mo cam was good idea?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2016

• Locked thread