Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I lost it and had to pause for a bit right about here:

HE KNOWS, GODDAMNIT. Or whoever is animating it knows, and they're doing it on purpose!

I won't even acknowledge walking along in a line at sunset.

DID SOMEBODY SAY

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:allears:

(It's even better given that Dojima's VA also does DIO.)

edit: What the hell, going full hog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIU86eLUVXQ

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What did evetybody think of the Stagiaire arc, overall?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

TheKingofSprings posted:

I liked that it gave Hisako character development without having her fall for Soma (just a, "you know what, you're okay and I'm gonna get good") and I liked Soma's improvement as a cook.

Wanted to see certain character's training though, like Megumi though, but it would have been too long if they did that so it's a bit understandable.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Compendium posted:

I liked that it gave Hisako character development without having her fall for Soma (just a, "you know what, you're okay and I'm gonna get good") and I liked Soma's improvement as a cook.

Wanted to see certain character's training though, like Megumi though, but it would have been too long if they did that so it's a bit understandable.

She definitely kinda falls for him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was nice and I wish the arcs that followed were more like it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KoB posted:

She definitely kinda falls for him.

What makes you say that?

To me the end of that arc and everything after suggested she thought he was a pretty cool guy and that was basically it. Most of her interactions with him after that indicated a positive impression, for sure, from letting him ask Erina to help him with his cooking (I'm curious how other people interpreted it, was it her paying him back for a favour? Did she finally think that, maybe her boss had her wires crossed on him and wanted to change her opinion?) to clearly expressing joy or relief when he got involved in a situation, like when he crashed Daddy Nakiri's party crashing or rolled all over Eizan in the Shokugeki, but the latter two seemed more like a combination of both Hisako having a good opinion of him and his ability to handle a bad situation, and a learned understanding that Soma is really, really good at taking the wind out of the sails of people with an overinflated sense of pride.

E: This panel is great in general, but it gives Hisako a whole other dimension to her character that doesn't get shown anywhere else just by having her there with rest of the group (where this is nothing new for any of them).

Hisako owns.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisako is interested in souma as a person and not in an explicitly romantic way. there is room to develop their relationship in that direction, but i don't think it is terribly likely.

most of souma's admirers are platonic, i think.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was good. I would've enjoyed more focus on the non-Soma groups though. And I like how after the fact there's still been some slight references to the arc from like Kurokiba and Alice to show that they learnt something from the experience too.

It was sort of like a training arc, I suppose. But it was a well done one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It was nice and I wish the arcs that followed were more like it.

I wonder if it's possible to go back to those kind of arcs once Azami's gone?

Serious Frolicking posted:

hisako is interested in souma as a person and not in an explicitly romantic way. there is room to develop their relationship in that direction, but i don't think it is terribly likely.

Only one of Soma's relationships looks to be developing that way and the brakes look pretty much kicked out there, if it happened with Hisako let alone any of the girls with romantic interest it'd be a huge surprise.

Also, I just re-read the Mapo Doufu War arc and it's so good, holy poo poo. The best thing about this manga regardless of the plot circumstances is the downtime between action segments, SnS never fails to do character interactions well.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 12, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That whole festival arc is probably my favorite thing in this entire series so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Only one of Soma's relationships looks to be developing that way and the brakes look pretty much kicked out there, if it happened with Hisako let alone any of the girls with romantic interest it'd be a huge surprise.

Oh, really? I thought it was two. But, to be fair, that other girl isn't really in the conflicts at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
souma has two girls who like him and his destined love interest who isn't quite there yet. this is not a harem manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

souma has two girls who like him and his destined love interest who isn't quite there yet.

And Takumi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

souma has two girls who like him and his destined love interest who isn't quite there yet. this is not a harem manga.

I thought it was 3 and a destined love interest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought it was 3 and a destined love interest.

who is the third? there is nikumi and his classmate from junior high. am i missing someone?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Tadokoro?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

who is the third? there is nikumi and his classmate from junior high. am i missing someone?

aldini

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Megumi too, although that came up less than halfway through and nothing really happened with it since. At this point she's legitimately more likely to end up with

E: VV In one chapter she realizes he's who she's thinking of when she cooks.

Also it's really goddamn cool that the writer for SnS actually answers questions for the series on twitter, and it's actually reasonably substantial stuff like why Soma's mom isn't around, obvious though that is.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Megumi too, although that came up less than halfway through and nothing really happened with it since. At this point she's legitimately more likely to end up with

i don't remember her doing anything more than admiring souma, but i could be mistaken.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

i don't remember her doing anything more than admiring souma, but i could be mistaken.

High level admiring going on here.

The blush of a maiden in admiration.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also it's really goddamn cool that the writer for SnS actually answers questions for the series on twitter, and it's actually reasonably substantial stuff like why Soma's mom isn't around, obvious though that is.

Wait he does? What's he answered?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait he does? What's he answered?

I only know a couple, that Soma's mom is dead and another relating to Erina.

There are others, he still answers them now but apparently his editor told him to stop giving away the more important ones.

E: Tsukudayuto is his handle afaik.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 12, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Well sure, but...

edit: screenshots of this series are just too fun to take.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 12, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

there is nikumi and his classmate from junior high.

That's everyone I was thinking of.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

High level admiring going on here.

The blush of a maiden in admiration.

It's been so long though, that you could say her feelings have cooled to Hisako-esque high admiration, but not romantically, and I don't think anyone would be too shocked.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Megumi too, although that came up less than halfway through and nothing really happened with it since. At this point she's legitimately more likely to end up with Takumi.

We were robbed of a cute double date chapter this chapter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well sure, but...

edit: screenshots of this series are just too fun to take.

That's more them thinking that his dad is hot.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Clarste posted:

That's more them thinking that his dad is hot.

They're right though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I don't know how anyone can forget Tadokoro.

Oh wait I do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know how anyone can forget Tadokoro.

Oh wait I do.

It's kind of funny that the first ~ 3 arcs had a big emphasis on her character changing and gaining confidence and then it just..stopped.

I guess that's partly Erina hogging the development time for a while, but you would think she'd get less flustered after praises from Soma, from Erina, from multiple Tootsuki alumni, basically everyone with a name.

Like why is she the only one freaking out when Rindou showed up last chapter? Soma and Erina are looking 110% done, Takumi's looking a little more wary but still ready for whatever is coming. It'd be boring if everyone reacted the exact same way but this shouldn't be surprising.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's kind of funny that the first ~ 3 arcs had a big emphasis on her character changing and gaining confidence and then it just..stopped.

I guess that's partly Erina hogging the development time for a while, but you would think she'd get less flustered after praises from Soma, from Erina, from multiple Tootsuki alumni, basically everyone with a name.

Like why is she the only one freaking out when Rindou showed up last chapter? Soma and Erina are looking 110% done, Takumi's looking a little more wary but still ready for whatever is coming. It'd be boring if everyone reacted the exact same way but this shouldn't be surprising.

She's the only one that realized they'll be fighting erina as an elite ten and she knows she just triggered a bunch of death flags recently

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not even that Erina's been hogging the screentime, it's that for the longest time after the Autumn festival Soma was the only one getting any continued focus. Outside of a bit with Hisako in the Stagiare arc, it was Soma working with Shinomiya, Soma vs Kuga, and Soma vs Eizan. Other characters got some small moments in those arcs but they never really took the spotlight.

Anyway I hope Erina vs Megumi happens because I think that would be cool and good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd still rather see alice vs. megumi, because their cooking styles are complete opposites. but hey, megumi isn't in such a bad place right now. she got all sorts of benefits from associating with the protagonist, but since she isn't sufficiently prominent or ignored that she will serve as motivation fodder.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

She's the only one that realized they'll be fighting erina as an elite ten and she knows she just triggered a bunch of death flags recently

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's not even that Erina's been hogging the screentime, it's that for the longest time after the Autumn festival Soma was the only one getting any continued focus. Outside of a bit with Hisako in the Stagiare arc, it was Soma working with Shinomiya, Soma vs Kuga, and Soma vs Eizan. Other characters got some small moments in those arcs but they never really took the spotlight.

Anyway I hope Erina vs Megumi happens because I think that would be cool and good.

If Erina is on the E10 team I can't see her not absolutely destroying whoever she's up against, up to and including Soma. She's had what, 178 chapters of build-up?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tadokoro realized that "your food is really...warm you know, it makes me feel like a mom's cooking" is just a euphemistic way for people to avoid telling her that she isn't on the level of her hardcore elite cuisine friends.

edit: Maybe there can be an arc where Tadokoro, in her extreme desire to cook at the level of her friends, makes some sort of Faustian deal where she sells her family into slavery in order to become a better cook. It would be thematically meaningful because her feelings for her family/friends are what previously motivated her cooking.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 13, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think azami would totally be willing to tutor someone for the price of enslaving their family, yeah. it would make about as much sense as anything else he has ever done.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Tadokoro realized that "your food is really...warm you know, it makes me feel like a mom's cooking" is just a euphemistic way for people to avoid telling her that she isn't on the level of her hardcore elite cuisine friends.

edit: Maybe there can be an arc where Tadokoro, in her extreme desire to cook at the level of her friends, makes some sort of Faustian deal where she sells her family into slavery in order to become a better cook. It would be thematically meaningful because her feelings for her family/friends are what previously motivated her cooking.

i think azami would totally be willing to tutor someone for the price of enslaving their family, yeah. it would make about as much sense as anything else he has ever done.

Tadokoro will narrowly beat Erina in a Shokugeki before passing out.

She'll wake up in a room where Azami will appear, realize she awoke the God Tongue, and that Erina threw the fight. Azami, who doesn't actually give a poo poo who does the taste test comparisons for the rest of their life, will tell her the "truth" about Tootsuki.

This chain of events will lead to a terrible incident where Tadokoro, her last bits of decency gone, will stab through Yoshino with a monkfish bone to achieve vengeance on Senzaemon for enabling all of this crazy poo poo.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 13, 2016

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is there no new chapter this week?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is there no new chapter this week?

Jump's on break, but Bleach spoilers will be out Sunday so I'd expect to maybe hear something around then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chapters come late after break weeks, but not a week late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stop spinning lovely fanfic stuff in here about noted good character Megumi