Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
not #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

Just curious, and I know it varies wildly person to person, but what do people view as "bad grades in law school?" Outside the top third? Bottom 50%? Bottom 10%?

depends on the school, grades that are considered good at a top school will get your resume instantly binned at a lower school

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Nonexistence posted:

Just curious, and I know it varies wildly person to person, but what do people view as "bad grades in law school?" Outside the top third? Bottom 50%? Bottom 10%?

Bottom 90% for most schools.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
anything lower than what you got.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Any GPA that prevents you from getting a job.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I'd consider a "bad" grade to be anything outside the top half of the class. Depending on the curve that could be a C (a resume killer) or a B (congrats on skating by!)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The loving administrative side of this job is killing me.

For real, if I have an email correspondence with the court coordinator and I say this date and the other side says ok, I shouldn't have to submit a loving notice of hearing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

CaptainScraps posted:

For real, if I have an email correspondence with the court coordinator and I say this date and the other side says ok, I shouldn't have to submit a loving notice of hearing.

Just automate it

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

Just put an informational entry into the court's docket with no corresponding document.

as if

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
New career opportunity for law school graduates:

Pokémon Go player!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1495920/teacher-quits-her-job-to-become-britains-first-full-time-pokemon-go-player/

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 11, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CaptainScraps posted:

Today I had a scheduling conference to set deadlines. It was pouring rain this morning but I checked and the order setting the conference specifically said that all counsel must appear in person. So I called and talked to the clerk, asked if we all agree could we do the conference by phone or all agree on deadlines and submit a proposed scheduling order, and she said "no, the judge wants everyone here in person."

So I got my rear end to the court in the pouring rain, we pulled another lawyer out of trial for this conference, and the three of us go in there. Naturally our judge herself was actually in trial too, so the clerk hands us a form with blank dates and says "you guys fill out the dates you want and bring it back, and the judge will sign it later and send you a copy."

Definitely necessary for three lawyers to bill their clients for coming to court in the rain.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I had a trial today against a pro se corporation. Except corporations cannot appear pro se.

Boy, offering those exhibits sure was easy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I had a trial today against a pro se corporation. Except corporations cannot appear pro se.

How were you unable to default them before it got to trial?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Weird procedural rule, expedited trial setting.

Basically, it was an appeal from justice court, where corporations can appear pro se, to a real court, where they can't. Answer from the justice court stands in real court, so I cannot default. And the judge set it within 10 days of appeal, so no time to default.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I'm listening to a lawyer who owns "the largest bankruptcy firm in Texas" bragging about how much he works while we sit at the gate waiting for the plane to board. Oh god its awful.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lote posted:

I'm listening to a lawyer who owns "the largest bankruptcy firm in Texas" bragging about how much he works while we sit at the gate waiting for the plane to board. Oh god its awful.

If it's the guy I think it is, I walked out of an interview with that guy as a 3L because he was chugging two different monster energy drinks at the same time while calling me a liar.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

An admin can be had for $10-12 an hour. Bill him/her at $100.00 = profit and less headaches.

Edit: except when your partner fucks you and you have to scramble for payroll.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 12, 2016

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Roger_Mudd posted:

If it's the guy I think it is, I walked out of an interview with that guy as a 3L because he was chugging two different monster energy drinks at the same time while calling me a liar.

He was bragging and complaining at the same time about how much work there was. Kinda like how finance associates bragplain about having to work 80-100 hr weeks. I wanted to reenact the scene from Airplane.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Lote posted:

He was bragging and complaining at the same time about how much work there was. Kinda like how finance associates bragplain about having to work 80-100 hr weeks. I wanted to reenact the scene from Airplane.

Sniff glue?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lote posted:

Surely you can't be serious?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Lote posted:

So... Do you watch gladiators?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I tried to envision how someone would chug two different monster energy drinks at the same time, and I decided to believe that he was wearing a beer helmet.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

echopapa posted:

I tried to envision how someone would chug two different monster energy drinks at the same time, and I decided to believe that he was wearing a beer helmet.

HAHAHAHA, that would have been better. No, more accurately, this man would alternate swigs of two different Monsters (different flavors).

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Any TX lawyers know anything about Bickerstaff Heath Delgado Acosta as far as compensation/hours/culture/etc? I'm having trouble tracking down any information. I've talked to one person about them and he gave me some info basically implying that they don't pay market but everyone generally leaves at 5pm every day.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they do alot of municipal work. Thats all I know.

edit: I have hot sports opinions about full-time municipal attorneys.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 13, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
muni law is my dream job. I did a little work once in that field and had to write an ordinance banning swingers clubs.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mastershakeman posted:

muni law is my dream job. I did a little work once in that field and had to write an ordinance banning swingers clubs.

You monster.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i've found the greatest job ever. i am part of the top level technical team for the australian taxation office. tax may sound boring, however, nearly all the issues i deal with only have tax as a backdrop; the real issues i'm grappling with are things like 'what is real property?' and 'what are rights?' i get to spend weeks at a time researching arcane legal issues, have to make strategic decisions with wide implications which have to be thoroughly analysed from a policy perspective, and on top of that get to basically set my own hours as long as i'm working at least 35 hours a week (including working form home, which i can do pretty much at my whim). on top of that i'm dealing with decisions worth billions on a daily basis, padding my cv for whatever the gently caress i want to do.

the only downside is i'm only on about 100k including superannuation, whereas in private I could conceivably be making 20k more or so for twice the work and half the work quality.

basic message: government work can be insanely, insanely good. also i only have to meet with the other side if the office needs a technical legal person to be menacing. tearing to pieces a guy on 1.5m a year because unlike him i've had a month to get to know a case back to front and know every potential argument is amazing.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

look at what government overreach has wrought

2fast2furious
Apr 6, 2015
1. during oci callbacks, what are some secret things i should be looking for? like everyone says "oh, look at the interactions between lawyers" and "oh, does the office setup seem your speed" but what else?

2. during one oci interview, i spent half the time talking about abortion. i haven't heard from them

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

2fast2furious posted:

1. during oci callbacks, what are some secret things i should be looking for? like everyone says "oh, look at the interactions between lawyers" and "oh, does the office setup seem your speed" but what else?

2. during one oci interview, i spent half the time talking about abortion. i haven't heard from them

When they take you out to lunch, are they miserable or are they at least suppressing the dread of going back to work?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

2fast2furious posted:

What made you think that was even remotely a good idea?

P.S. interviews are not secret or mysterious things. They're literally about whether or not you seem like someone I'd like to work with. Your resume has already made 80% of the decision for you before you walk in the door. (Yes, that means even if I'm interviewing 5 people I already have a favorite and 4 lovely second-tier candidates I'm interviewing in case the best one is a toolbucket or takes an offer from another place.)

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Arcturas posted:

What made you think that was even remotely a good idea?

P.S. interviews are not secret or mysterious things. They're literally about whether or not you seem like someone I'd like to work with. Your resume has already made 80% of the decision for you before you walk in the door. (Yes, that means even if I'm interviewing 5 people I already have a favorite and 4 lovely second-tier candidates I'm interviewing in case the best one is a toolbucket or takes an offer from another place.)

To be fair, sometimes interviewers drag you into uncomfortable topics for no reason. I was drug into Israel/Palestine. I did get a callback and didn't care, because I would never go to the firm after that.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I think the idea is to bait you and see how you respond. Sometimes clients will bring up off-the-wall, controversial poo poo where the only winning move for you is to not engage and change the subject.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you dread your job, find another job friends. I actually look forward to worth every day. Beats my otherwise drab existence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Neurosis posted:

i've found the greatest job ever. i am part of the top level technical team for the australian taxation office. tax may sound boring, however, nearly all the issues i deal with only have tax as a backdrop; the real issues i'm grappling with are things like 'what is real property?' and 'what are rights?' i get to spend weeks at a time researching arcane legal issues, have to make strategic decisions with wide implications which have to be thoroughly analysed from a policy perspective, and on top of that get to basically set my own hours as long as i'm working at least 35 hours a week (including working form home, which i can do pretty much at my whim). on top of that i'm dealing with decisions worth billions on a daily basis, padding my cv for whatever the gently caress i want to do.

the only downside is i'm only on about 100k including superannuation, whereas in private I could conceivably be making 20k more or so for twice the work and half the work quality.

basic message: government work can be insanely, insanely good. also i only have to meet with the other side if the office needs a technical legal person to be menacing. tearing to pieces a guy on 1.5m a year because unlike him i've had a month to get to know a case back to front and know every potential argument is amazing.

Because you're one of like, the 4 other Ausgoons itt i'm glad you're story has gone from "gently caress my life" to "I love my work" :toot:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If you dread your job, find another job friends. I actually look forward to worth every day. Beats my otherwise drab existence.

Hay everyone, look at this special snow flake!

Booooooooo

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Any other tips for OCI callbacks? I have a few this week. Was planning on spending time researching the firms more, looking at their news/blog etc. Beyond that I can't think of much. I think they are series of 30 min interviews so it's not like you can get super in depth.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Any other tips for OCI callbacks? I have a few this week. Was planning on spending time researching the firms more, looking at their news/blog etc. Beyond that I can't think of much. I think they are series of 30 min interviews so it's not like you can get super in depth.

Now that I am the one doing the interviews, I am impressed by people who can articulate why they want to join my firm--rather than any firm that gave them a callback--and why. That requires a certain knowledge of the market that goes well beyond "read firm's website." Also the website probably is not helpful anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Went to a CLE today where judges advised young lawyers on how to conduct a trial. Judge's advice? "When you're defending a criminal case, you should always call your client to testify."