Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

waitwhatno posted:

As someone else already said, part of it is intentional. Westeros had an age of myths/heroes analogous to every real culture on earth and nobody knows exactly how much truth there is to these prehistoric stories. For example, did Zeus really turn into a swan and diddle some Greek chick? Was there really a Trojan war? We don't know. Is the genealogy in die Bible accurate and the world really 6k years old? We just don't know. Just like they don't know if the commander list of the NW, stretching thousands of years, is accurate or if the myth about the first commander banging an ice chick is accurate.

It's even worse in Westeros because at least we have archeology and questions all these things today, whereas Westeros just accepts these stories as factual and the only people with the resources to question them are the Męsters, who are somewhat shady and unreliable.

That's all well and good for the distant past like the building of the wall and stuff but what I've been trying to say is that they talk about 300 years ago the same way. And 300 years is not long enough for things to fall into mythical legend yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drunken officeparty posted:

And 300 years is not long enough for things to fall into mythical legend yet.

75 years is long enough for some stuff to fall into legend in China.

Plus keep in mind the biggest thing - the dragons - don't exist anymore in Westeros. Imagine if Angels literally existed during the Revolutionary War and aided there but then left and haven't been seen in a century.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That's all well and good for the distant past like the building of the wall and stuff but what I've been trying to say is that they talk about 300 years ago the same way. And 300 years is not long enough for things to fall into mythical legend yet.

What? They have extensive records of the last 300 years, including detailed genealogies, history books, maps, etc. We see Tyrion read history books multiple times during the series.

Who of the educated characters treats that stuff as mythical legends?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Undead Hippo posted:

The average length of the reign of a king will eventually become close to the difference between his age and the age of his firstborn son. If a king has a son at 20, then lives to age 80, his son will be 60 upon taking up the throne and will probably die at a similar age to his father. This sum will only change when the son dies before the father (increasing the average reign length as the throne passes to a younger person) or when the king dies without progeny leaving the throne to a close relative (decreasing the average as the throne passes to an older person).

If we assume the average age for first child is 20, then over 300 years Westeros would have had ~15 kings. This matches the general numbers from medieval kingdoms. France from 1328-1628 had 15, England from 1328-1628 had 17, Spain from 1452-1752 had 13.

The actual number in the books is 17 Targaryen kings. Which makes sense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the books do give off the air of targs having been around forever rather than a few lifetimes, but that's also a bunch of uneducated people's perspective.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Perspective is relative, who would've thought

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Most people in GoT cannot read, so forever=noone who lives remembers otherwise.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

waitwhatno posted:

Is the genealogy in die Bible accurate and the world really 6k years old? We just don't know.

This is one question I'm pretty sure we know the answer to actually.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

This is one question I'm pretty sure we know the answer to actually.

the American South doesn't

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mastershakeman posted:

the books do give off the air of targs having been around forever rather than a few lifetimes, but that's also a bunch of uneducated people's perspective.

Also there seemed to be a lot of kings who died within a decade or so of ascending the throne. Kings don't live very long in Westeros.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Does it bother anyone else that the historical timeline of the series is all screwy. Like apparently the Targaryans only conquered Westeros 300 years ago but people talk about it as if it was 3000 years ago. Naming all these kings and stuff even though they could have technically really had as little as like 3 or 4 lifetime kings in that period. President John Tyler, 10th president of the United States, was born in 1790 and has 2 grandsons still alive to this day.

To answer a question undoubtedly already answered: The Targaryens had so many different things wiping them out that the comparison to life spans of the Industrial Age aren't valid. While there have been a FEW life-long kings in that time, yeah, there's been a shitload who've died after only a few years, or where many took the Iron Throne over a year's course. See the Targaryen Civil War of the Blacks and the Greens and the Blackfyre Rebellion as reasons why so many died. The GRRM has his backstory poo poo down.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

300 years is a long time. All history fuckery aside, the fact timekeeping isn't remotely anything like what the real world had even during the period this show apes, you have poorly sourced, poorly attested, politically revisionist historian/educated class, much of what they have in earnest is not well attested. The history of targs also has a lot, LOT of blood going on, and crazy poo poo. Look at the speech where Tywin is talking to Tommen about what being a king means, and that it's more than aspiring to this virtue or that. It's of course a manipulation, but in that manipulation he names off a few targ kings that clearly had short reigns. People can think, not really knowing the intrigue and circumstnaces that "these loving targs have been around a millennia at least" or whatever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Not to mention 300 years is a drat good dynastic run. Many real, great dynasties didn't last that long unless your torture yourself with hapsburg bullshit european royalty's obsession with tracing it back to emperors, late 'roman' german kings, or this dynastic patrician family or that that I doubt has any basis in reality

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What Maesters don't want you to know :tinfoil:

The show cut out a couple of Targaryens kings, which some people are mad about even though you have to read the world book to care about any of them. Also Aerys didn't look like crazy Theoden from Lord of the Rings and his crown was inaccurate to the lore (also from fake history book) which is apparently a big deal that you should get really mad about. Those absolute bastards and their disrespect for crown lore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The show hasn't cut any Targaryen kings in the sense of saying this guy and this guy didn't exist, it just didn't show them or talk about them at all because the larger history of Westeros and its social order isn't relevant to the story the show is trying to tell.

Targaryen kings the show has mentioned:

Aerys the Mad
Aegon the Conqueror
???

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skasion posted:

The show hasn't cut any Targaryen kings in the sense of saying this guy and this guy didn't exist, it just didn't show them or talk about them at all because the larger history of Westeros and its social order isn't relevant to the story the show is trying to tell.

Targaryen kings the show has mentioned:

Aerys the Mad
Aegon the Conqueror
???

I think they did cut one because Aemon was supposed to be Dany's Great Great Uncle and he's just her Great Uncle instead or something like that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Here are the betting odds from a local website, maybe I can crowdsource a winning bet here

I think LIttlefinger is good money, but maybe also Tyrion if they split the throne 3 ways... Hm decisions

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Put it all on Davos. Real answer: Dany is pretty good even though it's close to even money because she is absolutely going to win

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Gendry's 90/1? I would have thought at least 30/1 given that he's an actual heir.

I'd probably put my money on Jon but I'd throw a few bucks on Sam and Davos.

Edit: I overlooked that it said at the end of season 7. In that case put it all on Dany but I have a feeling it won't last.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It's stupid for Night's King to be on there. What are the odds he both wins and keeps the Iron Throne intact.

e: also yeah why does Gendry have the same odds as Davos, or loving Sam.

e2: none of this matters, Khaleesi will win and the Targaryens will rule again, making this entire series completely pointless.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Here are the betting odds from a local website, maybe I can crowdsource a winning bet here

I think LIttlefinger is good money, but maybe also Tyrion if they split the throne 3 ways... Hm decisions

Most likely vacant or dismantled for iron/dragonsteel (forged by dragonfire?) but they excluded those. Beat your plowshares into swords.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I realised I'd never considered Tormund seating the Throne. TV could never own that much though

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I realised I'd never considered Tormund seating the Throne. TV could never own that much though

An army of kneelers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm surprised there's no "No one" option.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

After the white walkers are taken down the people will have had enough of this great house bullshit and will start to elect a new ruler every 7 years :patriot:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Arya is in the first column though

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

internet celebrity posted:

Arya is in the first column though

:golfclap:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Well this is a nice surprise! I thought Olenna had been incinerated with the rest of her family at the Sept of Baelor. She's gonna gently caress poo poo up this season, my money's on her.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

God Hole posted:

Well this is a nice surprise! I thought Olenna had been incinerated with the rest of her family at the Sept of Baelor. She's gonna gently caress poo poo up this season, my money's on her.
Man, you should have watched the rest of the episode after the Sept blew up. Some crazy poo poo happens. They show Olenna, Tommen kills himself, it's nuts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think the Iron Throne is going to be a thing anymore at the end of season 7 to be honest. Dany will wind up ruling w/ Jon at the end of season 8, but I think KL gets destroyed one way or another (Cersei or dragons) this season and the throne with it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

God Hole posted:

I can't blame you if you FFed through a Dorne scene

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

computer parts posted:

I think they did cut one because Aemon was supposed to be Dany's Great Great Uncle and he's just her Great Uncle instead or something like that.

Yeah, they cut out Jaehaerys II, which I guess allowed them to start the show in the same year but age all the kids up three years.

But anyone who is mad about that is a silly person.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 13, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

"Whats this the loving UN now?"

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I just think it's funny that the now most storybook ending is Jon and Danarys, which is everyone going "YAY INCEST!". That's enough of a Martin twist. Then him explaining in interviews, "see see, medieval society had context, loving your aunt/sister/cousin isn't so bad!!." Then hell marry his 2nd cousin IRL or something.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think he'll just write an ending that is the complete opposite of the show out of spite.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"And as Daenerys looked upon the approaching army of the dead, she thought about the massive pile of HBO money I'm sleeping on. The end."

The epilogue is just pictures of fun things he did instead of writing the ending.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I think he'll just write an ending that is the complete opposite of the show out of spite.

Haha you think he'll write an ending that's cute. After this next book he is going to die halfway through the final one and the publisher will have someone Christopher Tolkien all the leftover poo poo together to cash in

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The book will never get finished

The last shots of the show will be Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne, then a slow zoom out from the Red Keep in the winter, which is in a snow globe being shaken by Hodor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

disjoe posted:

The book will never get finished

The last shots of the show will be Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne, then a slow zoom out from the Red Keep in the winter, which is in a snow globe being shaken by Hodor.

I wonder what he thinks about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

disjoe posted:

e2: none of this matters, Khaleesi will win and the Targaryens will rule again, making this entire series completely pointless.

Not pointless, "the true king returns" has been a standard fantasy plot since before Tolkien. So Dany on the throne is probably what the show is going for. The books not so much, but it's an open question if we'll ever know what ending GRRM had intended for the books.

Having read some of GRRMs other work, he's actually decent at writing a satisfying ending (unlike, say, Stephen King), so it's a shame he's not doing it.

• Locked thread