Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The Flintstones is the best book on the stands, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Semper Fudge posted:

The Flintstones is the best book on the stands, full stop.

Full stop at the F section because you didn't get to the M's where Mockingbird sits.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Full stop at the F section because you didn't get to the M's where Mockingbird sits.

Well, technically A-L. But honestly, I wasn't feeling Mockingbird last month, it kinda petered out instead of slam-dunking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, technically A-L. But honestly, I wasn't feeling Mockingbird last month, it kinda petered out instead of slam-dunking.

There's better books than Flinstones in A-L! Green Arrow for God's sake!

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Gaz-L posted:

There's basically three places you can go for the 'traumatic emergence of super-powers' arc for a kid. Death of an animal/pet, injury/death of a friend or fear/ostracization when showing off. Superman's origin story almost always has the last, so that leaves the other two for Jon. So you're saying you'd prefer he broke his little girlfriend's arm while playfully pushing her away?

:eyepop:

Max loving Landis can write this stuff better. Think about that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Max Landis wrote a better comic than almost anybody, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Equilibrium posted:

:eyepop:

Max loving Landis can write this stuff better. Think about that.

Both are really very good. I like reading good comics, it makes me happy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Superman is very very good, because Peter Tomasi is a very very good writer who writes Father/son relationships incredibly well.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, everyone is all over Superman but I read the first two, hated the cat murder, and basically just don't care. It's well written and pretty but I just can't really get into it. Maybe it's because I don't have a kid so father-son heartwarming doesn't resonate as strongly with me.

Compared to Detective and Green Arrow and Wonder Woman and even Flash I think Superman is middle of the pack for Rebirth books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well for the record, I don't have kids and I had an abusive shithead for a father, I just think it's really good Superman stuff. It's not that it's particularly resonant to me personally. I just have a Superman in my head and the Superman in that book hits it almost dead-center.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the current Superman series more for Jon than Superman himself.

I find him to be a pretty interesting kid superhero, more so than I ever found Damian to be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I find him to be a pretty interesting kid superhero, more so than I ever found Damian to be.

Faint praise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Damian, outside of the animated movies where he just learns the same lesson every movie and makes stories that should be about other characters about him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

I like Damian, outside of the animated movies where he just learns the same lesson every movie and makes stories that should be about other characters about him.

The animated movies are uniformly terrible, don't feel too bad. I really like Damian but he is a character that can easily be written very badly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Read Superwoman and I think it's interesting the polarizing opinions there are. Personally I'm calling fakeout on the ending, because the only reason we thinks it's legit is because it's so similar to the way N52 Superman died. It seems too easy and it's the kind of cliffhanger designed to get people to pick up #2.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I hope you're proud of yourself, Dark_Tzitzimine, because I've been sampling several of the #1 issues of Rebirth, and your posting about RHATO helped convince me to give it a shot... and it may reach guilty-pleasure status. The series has now made $2.99 more than otherwise; up until now, I've trade-waited through my library.

Somewhere deep beneath the earth, demons bellow with laughter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really like New Superman, he is lovably stupid. Also I love fat Chinese Bat-Man and his BUV(bat utility vehicle)

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

greatn posted:

I really like New Superman, he is lovably stupid. Also I love fat Chinese Bat-Man and his BUV(bat utility vehicle)
Not just lovably stupid, but hilariously-to-me petty: the reason he knows the security code is because he once bullied the kid from #1 for it so he could steal that kid's neighbor's bicycle. Also, word-of-writer is "my main thing was, I wanted the Chinese Bat-Man to be a chubby Asian kid, and they let me do it!" This is actually my current favorite DC book for the title character, Bat-Man's dialogue ("Either sleeping gas or punches to the throat. We'll play it by ear"), and the running joke about the visor isn't the continued zapping of Super-Man but him having yet to get what I believe to be Bat-Man/Dr. Omen's joke at his expense: the design/role of the visor is basically that of the magical headband of Sūn Włkōng, main character of one of the Four Great Classical Novels who as the Monkey King featured heavily in Yang's name-making American-Born Chinese.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

I hope you're proud of yourself, Dark_Tzitzimine, because I've been sampling several of the #1 issues of Rebirth, and your posting about RHATO helped convince me to give it a shot... and it may reach guilty-pleasure status. The series has now made $2.99 more than otherwise; up until now, I've trade-waited through my library.

Somewhere deep beneath the earth, demons bellow with laughter.

...Mods?!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
RHATO has a fun concept and I'd read it no problem if someone else was writing it.

I've given Lobdell multiple chances since he can occasionally write a good character moment and has some good plot kernels but that boy just cannot write in the long-term and every single plot point and character arc fizzles out by the next issue.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lobdell is a bad writer and I wish you guys would stop supporting him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Super-Man was so much fun. Huge improvement from issue #1. Probably the first Gene Luen Yang book I've really liked and finally seen his potential as an important get for DC.

This was a great week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really hope there is a fat Batman spin off, and I really want to see him meet Batman classic.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I wish fat Batman didn't have visible muscles. I mean...he isn't fat!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can be muscly and fat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

You can be muscly and fat.

:eng101: The actual strongest people are muscly and fat! People who are all muscle are more about presentation and winning Mr. Galaxy competitions or whatever.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
New Super-Man #2: I am delighted that The Great Ten are acknowledged as still existing in some capacity.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
The Great Ten are a cool idea that is filled with weird dumb stuff.

But then that's comics.txt in a nutshell.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

graybook posted:

New Super-Man #2: I am delighted that The Great Ten are acknowledged as still existing in some capacity.

They featured in that Final Days of Superman storyline, along with Dr. Omen.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Ahhh, the issue whose speculator value tanked when New Super-Man's writer confirmed that that isn't Kenan Kong in there...

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chortles posted:

Ahhh, the issue whose speculator value tanked when New Super-Man's writer confirmed that that isn't Kenan Kong in there...

Not before I had a single customer buy every copy he could get from us.

He tried to return them last week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Comic speculators are dumb and I can't believe they exist to this day. Have we learned nothing from the 90s!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Comic speculators are dumb and I can't believe they exist to this day. Have we learned nothing from the 90s!?

Yeah, I have to wonder what sort of success rate they have? It can't really be profitable can it?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Funny thing is, the visor design actually made Kenan's characterization work even better for me as a character by more-explicitly indicating that his arrogance and self-importance are deliberately a parallel with the Monkey King(spoiler in case it's a future plot point).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to wonder what sort of success rate they have? It can't really be profitable can it?

Any time there is a hyped issue I see the same clowns come rushing in trying to buy every copy. Batman #40 was hitting $20 the day it dropped and I lost count of the douche canoes trying to buy 10 copies. Most recently Uncanny Inhumans #11 blew the gently caress up and there were like 12 copies in the whole city.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

You know ImpAtom, I'm not gonna tell you that these sealed Red Hood and the Outlaws #1s are gonna increase in value, or even hold their current value. The truth is, you bought'em cause you like'em. They have value to you. That's what matters.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think most speculators realize that the reason those famous comics are so much is because people like them weren't around preserving every copy they could get their hands on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I don't think most speculators realize that the reason those famous comics are so much is because people like them weren't around preserving every copy they could get their hands on.

These days a comic flipper considers a $10 profit a success.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

These days a comic flipper considers a $10 profit a success.

That's hilariously sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I did briefly consider picking up a couple copies of the holographic version of the Joker's Daughter comic because my local comic store had like, three copies and they were going for like, $40 on eBay, but the whole idea felt weird to me. And also did I really want to be known as the person who bought several copies of Joker's Daughter?