Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

If they make a medieval isometric WoD game I swear to God

:confused: The majority of the games mentioned were first person and pointedly not medieval, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is joke.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Isometric Post-Gehenna Medieval Society where everyone worships a spaceship that recently showed up overhead to probe the planet for any resources worth mining

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hunter tbs rpg.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The plot twist is that the spaceship is actually just a small part of the god machine and you've been playing a WoD demon game the whole time

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's actually Psion! That p&p wasn't a flop!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's actually Psion! That p&p wasn't a flop!

:confused::confused::confused:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I remember being young and browsing the tabletop section in a Borders and they had a game system called Psion where every PC was a champion of a specific god and it looked cool because you could be a champion of Baron Samedi.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

He means Trinity. It was no hell. Aberrant was rad as gently caress though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I remember being young and browsing the tabletop section in a Borders and they had a game system called Psion where every PC was a champion of a specific god and it looked cool because you could be a champion of Baron Samedi.

No, that's Scion/Demigod/God.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I do wonder what the purpose behind specifically including Mass Effect 2 in the poll was. Perhaps they are as clued into the structural brilliance of it as I am

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Absence of Alpha Protocol was curious, since on the topic of repayable RPGs I don't think any other game has done it better in a choices-and-consequences way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
RIGHT!?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basic Chunnel posted:

I do wonder what the purpose behind specifically including Mass Effect 2 in the poll was. Perhaps they are as clued into the structural brilliance of it as I am

Romances maybe? Honestly, they should make The Garrus™ a character archetype, and simply have a badass cop voiced by Brandon Keener as a romance option in every game. And I mean EVERY GAME; I want to romance Garrus in Call of Duty 25 :colbert:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Needs more Thane :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly I hope they don't add Bioware type romances in a Bloodlines 2 because I liked how any relationships you had the first game were just hosed up and just showcased how much of a hollow monster you could be.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Honestly I hope they don't add Bioware type romances in a Bloodlines 2 because I liked how any relationships you had the first game were just hosed up and just showcased how much of a hollow monster you could be.

I think Bioware romances do that, but by mistake. Because they're hyper-gamified with mechanical consequences, and lack any long-term arc or consequences.

If only the dude who wrote Madison still worked for Obsidian...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are no romances in Bloodlines (aside from the one night stand) because the whole game takes place over maybe a month. I always find it crazy how all these stories manage to fit in four possible flings for the main character.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
loving Bioware tomances are the worst aspect of their games and should be completely removed.

Here Jack, let me gently caress you sane.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

my husband died a week ago but i saw his ghost in a dream and he was totally okay with us fuckin.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
But yeah they really should take cues from AP, because its still the gold standard of reactivity even with stiff competition from recent games like Undertale and Witcher 3.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 13, 2016

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

loving Bioware tomances are the worst aspect of their games and should be completely removed.

Here Jack, let me gently caress you sane.

Does anyone remember the flare-up between Josh Sawyer and that Bioware guy over romances?

The Bioware guy seemed legit mad that writers at Obsidian thought that they had more dignity than strippers, or something.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Basic Chunnel posted:

I take it that's a dig at VtM: Redemption?

Republican Vampire posted:

Does anyone remember the flare-up between Josh Sawyer and that Bioware guy over romances?

The Bioware guy seemed legit mad that writers at Obsidian thought that they had more dignity than strippers, or something.

:confused: Do you mean 'less dignity?' I'm not clear on what you're saying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Knowing almost nothing about mass effect except what I've read from other people on these forums, isn't mass effect 2 the most liked in the series, with 1 being rough and 3 being disappointing but 2 hitting some sort of sweet spot of choices mattering and gameplay being good and characters being interesting?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Knowing almost nothing about mass effect except what I've read from other people on these forums, isn't mass effect 2 the most liked in the series, with 1 being rough and 3 being disappointing but 2 hitting some sort of sweet spot of choices mattering and gameplay being good and characters being interesting?
It is the best one and it is a good game, but I really wouldn't use it as a major source of inspiration for making a reactive RPG when you have games like Planescape Torment, New Vegas, AP, Undertale, and Witcher 3 which have done it better.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 13, 2016

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

:confused: Do you mean 'less dignity?' I'm not clear on what you're saying.

Basically Josh Sawyer from Obsidian said he didn't want to write romances because creating that kind of gratification for users felt cheap and awkward. IIRC this is a big part of why he mostly focuses on systems and so on rather than narrative now.

Patrick Weekes from Bioware went on this disjointed rant about Nancy from Sin City and how developers shouldn't think they're better than sex workers because their function is to empower and pleasure consumers.

FirstAidKite posted:

I think it's because there's some level of structural simularity. It's a narrative heavy shooter with a mission vs hub structure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Republican Vampire posted:

Basically Josh Sawyer from Obsidian said he didn't want to write romances because creating that kind of gratification for users felt cheap and awkward. IIRC this is a big part of why he mostly focuses on systems and so on rather than narrative now.

Patrick Weekes from Bioware went on this disjointed rant about Nancy from Sin City and how developers shouldn't think they're better than sex workers because their function is to empower and pleasure consumers.

I think it's because there's some level of structural simularity. It's a narrative heavy shooter with a mission vs hub structure.

For reference:
• Sawyer's post http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/44687-romances-in-nwn-2-and-rpgs-in-general/page-7?p=725311#entry725311
• Weekes' post http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Weren't the "omg please read my self-insert slashfic with femshep and space waifu tali-chan it's so squeeeeee :xd:" people at Bioware instrumental for Mass Effect 3 being a massive pile of poo poo?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Post number two is a bad dummyhead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

quote:

I'm not looking for a sword-holding simulation complete with gangrenous leg wounds and a terrifying fear of combat.
Thanks for reminding me that I'll never get another Bushido Blade, dick.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Capn Beeb posted:

Weren't the "omg please read my self-insert slashfic with femshep and space waifu tali-chan it's so squeeeeee :xd:" people at Bioware instrumental for Mass Effect 3 being a massive pile of poo poo?

Nah. Main problem was they hadn't planned out the story major beats until the game was just about done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mass Effect 2 is a fantastic game.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Bringing Legion to the quarian fleet was funny as hell and I replayed the game once just for that.

That said, I realised while answering the survey that the main reason I replay games is that they get one or more things just right. For bloodlines it's the atmosphere and characters, for dark souls it's the cohesive world and encounter design. And so on. Sure, playing differently based on different player builds, choice and consequence, all that matters... But I replayed Max Payne 2 for its atmosphere and combat mechanics, and it has none of that other stuff.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's worth pointing out that the survey is asking about replayability, which is not the same as narrative variance, or even necessarily choice reactivity (except in the strictest sense). I'd bet money that the vast majority of people who replay a game do so even when they've seen every inch of content in it. They replay it because it's fun to play or immersive or whatever, not because they're going to see something new. AP or the Witcher 2 are significant anomalies, and I'll never play Witcher 2 after my first run because it's so goddamned long.

A long, boring and/or mandatory intro mission will kill the replayability of a game far more than false choices presented. My attempted replays of AP and KOTOR2 frequently fall prey to this fact. The inclusion of ME2 is encouraging because that game completely avoids the low level D&D syndrome and divides every single unit of game action into 1-2 hour chunks that are not too short and not too long. It's like playing a very binge-able television show.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 13, 2016

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Reading just the beginning of the second article was enough, what a terrible opinion. What's most annoying about it is his your're-not-thinking--what-you-think-you're-thinking attitude.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rebel Blob posted:

Absence of Alpha Protocol was curious, since on the topic of repayable RPGs I don't think any other game has done it better in a choices-and-consequences way.

Alpha Protocol was the subject of my first text box entry.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's worth pointing out that the survey is asking about replayability, which is not the same as narrative variance, or even necessarily choice reactivity (except in the strictest sense). I'd bet money that the vast majority of people who replay a game do so even when they've seen every inch of content in it. They replay it because it's fun to play or immersive or whatever, not because they're going to see something new. AP or the Witcher 2 are significant anomalies, and I'll never play Witcher 2 after my first run because it's so goddamned long.

A long, boring and/or mandatory intro mission will kill the replayability of a game far more than false choices presented. My attempted replays of AP and KOTOR2 frequently fall prey to this fact. The inclusion of ME2 is encouraging because that game completely avoids the low level D&D syndrome and divides every single unit of game action into 1-2 hour chunks that are not too short and not too long. It's like playing a very binge-able television show.

I like the way you put that. ME2 really is a season of a scifi tv show. Each episode is standalone, but full of callbacks and references for people who care. For example, you can do Garrus's loyalty mission cold, and it's satisfying. Military guy tries command, loses his squad, wants revenge, is conflicted. It's fully self contained and tells its own story. But it also builds on his recruitment mission, and ME1, in a very satisfying way.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Basic Chunnel posted:

Good point. I think the same basic principle applies to multiplayer games, roguelikes and other typically replayable games, where a session of gaming is clear, discrete and doesn't require much investment. Probably the same concept as 'more-ish' gameplay like sidequests and collectathons, but on a larger/deeper scale.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just want them to make another Bloodlines. The hub-and-spoke level design was great and interesting enough that I didn't mind hauling my rear end across Santa Monica a thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I just want them to make another Bloodlines. The hub-and-spoke level design was great and interesting enough that I didn't mind hauling my rear end across Santa Monica a thousand times.

This is my hope. Open enough level design to create a sense of being in a larger world, with the detail and fluff of a smaller, non- open world level.

• Locked thread