Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Baal posted:

I'm in the last 10 episodes of Victory, i can do it. I can push the rest of this dumb show, that being said I've been enjoying it more as of some of the latest episodes I've watched, so I can't say I'm not enthused to see how this turns out.

the last 10 eps of victory turn the crazy up to 11 and its a beautiful train wreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
man the Rio Olympics are weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEB_Px0bl4g

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ramba Ral and Dozle literally punching through a rock wall with their bare hands.

EDIT: That ending. Jesus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I don't know how you people put up with some of the worse iterations of Gundam. I thought Zeta was bad enough that I had no desire to continue plumbing the depths, but in this thread its a fan favorite. That being said I really enjoyed the original series, 0080, 08th, both MS igloo's, thunderbolt, and Char's counter attack was ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't know how you people put up with some of the worse iterations of Gundam. I thought Zeta was bad enough that I had no desire to continue plumbing the depths, but in this thread its a fan favorite. That being said I really enjoyed the original series, 0080, 08th, both MS igloo's, thunderbolt, and Char's counter attack was ok.

"I have no desire to keep plumbing the depths. Welp, time to dive into a sewer!"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

MS igloo was really good. What do you not like about it... the Ps1 cutscene graphics (I find it campy and enjoyable)? Or just the sheer epicness of stuff like orbital dropping a ship into combat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

MS igloo was really good. What do you not like about it... the Ps1 cutscene graphics (I find it campy and enjoyable)? Or just the sheer epicness of stuff like orbital dropping a ship into combat?

The terrible plot, awful visuals, paper-thin characters, goofy Hurrah Zeon stuff or the entire storyline of the second part. It's awful. Basically the only thing it has going for it are some cool MS designs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

the completely formulaic plots and boring characters comes to mind. Also the weird undercurrent of glorying Zeon (even when some of the characters are dressed incredibly similar to nazi's).

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Zeon was right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam and zaku caused the colony drop. The Olympics proves it

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pewdiepie posted:

Zeon was right.

Nope

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

I want to watch all of the Gundam and I don't care what hell that means putting myself through, I can guarantee you I've seen worse.

I HAVE ALWAYS SEEN WORSE.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've seen this one before, and it kinda ignores how insanely corrupt the federation is and how they couldn't vote for stuff. I know people on the internet have giving origin poo poo for making the feddies look worse, but I think it adds to the story.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Monaghan posted:

I've seen this one before, and it kinda ignores how insanely corrupt the federation is and how they couldn't vote for stuff. I know people on the internet have giving origin poo poo for making the feddies look worse, but I think it adds to the story.

True. But they didn't GAS ENTIRE COLONIES,so they're slightly less dickish. At least until ZZ/Unicorn.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 10, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also despite what I said the only shows I haven't enjoyed so far are like Stardust Memory, F-91, and Victory. I don't super care for 08th MS team either, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

True. But they didn't GAS ENTIRE COLONIES,so they're slightly less dickish. At least until ZZ/Unicorn,at least

Yeah Zeon's a bunch of assholes don't get me wrong but that image seems to suggest that the side's didn't have a reason to be pissed off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The federation is lovely through maintaining crappy status quos and in general being solid and corrupt. Zeon is lovely through horrifying atrocities. The latter is obviously a lot worse and it kinda overshadows how lovely the former can be.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Pewdiepie posted:

Wow it's almost as if people could like different things?

Nah, couldn't be.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Zeon where the fathers preach Godwin's Law to their sons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

Yeah Zeon's a bunch of assholes don't get me wrong but that image seems to suggest that the side's didn't have a reason to be pissed off.

The sides had legitimate reasons, sure, but the majority of zeon's victims were spacenoids not earthborn. The ten billion deaths were primarily a result of the gas attacks on the colonies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Federation is absolutely garbage and none of that changes the fact that the Zabis are mass-murdering psychopathic tyrants.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Federation is absolutely garbage and none of that changes the fact that the Zabis are mass-murdering psychopathic tyrants.

Yeah, it's something I like in The Origin's flashback arcs.

You can totally see how Zeon got started, and how they felt like they had legitimate grievances...

Then they go steadily more batshit evil, and the manga is clearly not in their corner.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Zeon Apologism is basically the worst thing about UC Gundam, because it is wrong on pretty much every level that matters in terms of the narrative painted in the actual source material, and worse still bears a closer resemblance to a really bad thread on DnD.

The "legitimate grievances" spacenoids had towards Earth are little better than the legitimate grievances the American Colonies had with the British Empire. They did exist, though, and were things worthy of rebelling against the government that held them down.

However, a key difference between these things, besides one actually happening in reality and the other being little more than a Japanese Cartoon with questionable portrayals of human beings and politics in general, is that the American Colonies did not start the war by killing a third of it's fellow colonists before proceeding to kill half of the non-colonial population of the world in the space of a week just to protest a lack of political representation and unfair taxes on common goods, food, and drink.

Zeon is basically the worst parts of the Japanese Empire and the Third Reich mashed together with the writers needing to have one side be the explicit bad guys. A lot of the bad things the Federation does leading up to the war are penned in after the fact in side materials or sequels, but even counting all that, even counting what they do in the aftermath of the OYW, they never approach the utter ruthlessness of Zeon in any way. The Titans basically crib their playbook from Zeon and come the closest by far, but never come close to being competent or powerful enough to achieve what Zeon did in the space of 24 hours.

Monaghan posted:

It's less that they didn't have any reason to be pissed off, and more that Side 3, much like many nations in history driven to war on false pretenses, Side 3 became consumed with a mass-masturbatory fantasy that they were righteous and the people they were fighting barely rated the term 'people' to begin with, so gently caress those guys they deserve what they get. Complete with "If you aren't with us, you are against us": Not every Side wanted in on this whole "Lets genocide most of the human race because we're some sort of bizzare hybrid of the Green Party, the Stalin-Era Communist Party, and Nazi Germany without even the benefit of Hugo Boss", so the Zeon response was to make them dead and then fling their giant space coffins at Earth.

The leap from "grievances" to "kill everyone now" is a pretty big problem with UC Gundam, and the side materials are a mixed bag at best when it comes to justifying Zeon in any way. And that's how it ought to stay, because it would take some legitimately skin-crawling poo poo on the part of the Federation to ultimately say "Yeah, Side 3 was only reacting to what was being done to it" and have it stick. Maybe if the entire Federation was being run by Urobutcher and Tomino and they recently passed their "ANYONE IN SPACE CAN DIE AT ANY TIME FOR ARBITRARY REASONS AND IN SUPER VIOLENT WAYS" legislation, that could be a start.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Bandai has decided to roll with IBO doing far better internationally.

Season 2 will premier outside of Japan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god dammit I have to catch up before AWA, gently caress.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

"The anime will also premiere ahead of the Japanese airing in five locations in Japan on October 1, as well as in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand."

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Well, 08th MS Team, War In a Pocket, and Stardust Memories all down! All good series, though the former two better than SM, mainly cause it had some characters that were really annoying.

Onto Zeta~

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zeratanis posted:

Well, 08th MS Team, War In a Pocket, and Stardust Memories all down! All good series, though the former two better than SM, mainly cause it had some characters that were really annoying.

Onto Zeta~

You're through the rough of it. Stardust Memory is the weakest series in the UC. Very pretty to look at, completely moronic ending that makes some rather bizarre leaps of logic.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

Yeah you're right there. Gotta say though, love all the mobile suits/armors in it. :swoon: Would kill for a Master Grade GP01 and 2 model.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zeratanis posted:

Yeah you're right there. Gotta say though, love all the mobile suits/armors in it. :swoon: Would kill for a Master Grade GP01 and 2 model.

Designed by Macross man Shoji Kawamori, so it has the aesthetic of the RX-78 with the smooth lines of a Valkyrie. It is a very pretty show without much substance. Kind of like Unicorn, but you're still a little ways off from that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

Those do exist, but they're kinda old and lovely.

The GP-01 has a RG and a PG, though, so you're not entirely out of luck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Hey at least they're willing to own it rather than sit down and go "how can we scuttle this and turn it into something appealing to Otaku". That means it might actually be as good as the first season for once.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey at least they're willing to own it rather than sit down and go "how can we scuttle this and turn it into something appealing to Otaku". That means it might actually be as good as the first season for once.

Droyer posted:

"The anime will also premiere ahead of the Japanese airing in five locations in Japan on October 1, as well as in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand."

It is premiering outside japan, but it is also premiering in japan.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

I've completely forgotten how much of an angry little oval office Kamillle is to everyone. I also forgot how much he gets the poo poo smacked out of him too. :laugh:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zeratanis posted:

I've completely forgotten how much of an angry little oval office Kamillle is to everyone. I also forgot how much he gets the poo poo smacked out of him too. :laugh:

I'd be angry all the time too if my name was Kamille. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But it's a mans name????

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

It is premiering outside japan, but it is also premiering in japan.

Plus it's not unheard of for companies having a panel at the larger anime cons to screen the first ep of something before it airs on tv.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Really hosed up to announce the Turn A Blu Rays literally right after I ordered the DVDs.

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/764571760532467713?s=09

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The GIG posted:

Really hosed up to announce the Turn A Blu Rays literally right after I ordered the DVDs.

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/764571760532467713?s=09

Guess its a good thing they announced a trade up program for dvd owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheManSeries posted:

Guess its a good thing they announced a trade up program for dvd owners.

Oh, really? Sweet. Guess that means I can pick up the second half on DVD without fear.