Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

The four children would be Nameless King, Gwynevere, Gwyndolin and Yorshka.

I completely forgot about Yorshka (I never ranked up the darkmoon covenant.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she's not gwyn's kid and I don't think anything implies otherwise?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Manatee Cannon posted:

she's not gwyn's kid and I don't think anything implies otherwise?

She literally calls Gwyn her father and Gwynevere and Gwyndolin her sister and brother. Her resemblance to Priscilla creates some complications, but it's not like souls lore has ever been anywhere near direct.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 12, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
It's whatever you wanna make it, **man**~~~

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah people just refuse to give up on the Solaire thing.

I just straight-up don't believe that Solaire being Gwyn's son is not the intent of the original Dark Souls. DS1 is a tightly interlocked self-contained story that obviously didn't consciously leave plot threads hanging for a sequel, it has plenty of hints at Solaire being Gwyn's firstborn, and there are no other characters mentioned in the game who could plausibly fill the empty space. I don't buy that it would introduce the concept of a demigod's missing son and then just leave that question completely unaddressed within the text.

Nameless King is a cool bossfight, but whether or not he's a retcon, he subtracts from the original game lore rather than adding to it. If he's a retcon, well, that sucks and steamrolls a great and subtle piece of story from the first game. If he's legitimately Miyazaki's original conception of Gwyn's firstborn and the Solaire stuff was all a big mislead, that still sucks because now Solaire has been reduced to just being some rando, for the sole purpose of introducing an optional boss character who has no characterisation and no relation to anything else that happens in any of the games.

NK may be 'canon' now, but the DS3 canon sucks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Faux Mulder posted:

I just straight-up don't believe that Solaire being Gwyn's son is not the intent of the original Dark Souls. DS1 is a tightly interlocked self-contained story that obviously didn't consciously leave plot threads hanging for a sequel, it has plenty of hints at Solaire being Gwyn's firstborn, and there are no other characters mentioned in the game who could plausibly fill the empty space. I don't buy that it would introduce the concept of a demigod's missing son and then just leave that question completely unaddressed within the text.

Nameless King is a cool bossfight, but whether or not he's a retcon, he subtracts from the original game lore rather than adding to it. If he's a retcon, well, that sucks and steamrolls a great and subtle piece of story from the first game. If he's legitimately Miyazaki's original conception of Gwyn's firstborn and the Solaire stuff was all a big mislead, that still sucks because now Solaire has been reduced to just being some rando, for the sole purpose of introducing an optional boss character who has no characterisation and no relation to anything else that happens in any of the games.

NK may be 'canon' now, but the DS3 canon sucks.

Sunbro was created to be Sunbro.

Look at all the sun praising.

He introduces you to the entire co-op mechanic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah, no. The entire point of Solaire's character is that he's just a regular guy who's really strong cause he doesn't skip leg day. Andre was originally intended to be the firstborn and have a greater role in the story but that development was cut and so that role remained empty until From decided to use it to let us fight Super Duper Ornstein.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Solaire is just some guy that eventually goes crazy? That's such a loose end and not at all similar to almost every NPC's fate in Dark Souls 1!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

what are the clues that solaire is gwyn's son besides, him being a man who wears a t-shirt with the sun on it

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

GulagDolls posted:

what are the clues that solaire is gwyn's son besides, him being a man who wears a t-shirt with the sun on it

It's because sun and son sound the same

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm convinced

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it's just that many people assumed that since he was mentioned he must be represented in the game somewhere. If you assume that, Solaire seems like a good candidate. But in DS3 it just turns out that initial premise was wrong.

In no way is that a retcon. People just concluded something that the game wasn't actually implying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

Solaire is just some guy that eventually goes crazy? That's such a loose end and not at all similar to almost every NPC's fate in Dark Souls 1!

You forget that solaire is also a meme, which is justification enough for fans to go insane coming up with theories about him. It's also enough for dark souls 3 to believably include references to him that make no sense, since it has a precedent for doing that with anything that fans liked in dark souls 1

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
You almost certainly only really think that Solaire was the firstborn because everyone else said Solaire is the firstborn and it happens to be a possibility that slots in okay. The only character in Dark Souls 1 who was intended to be the firstborn was Andre and that was abandoned pretty early in development. He just straight-up doesn't exist in Dark Souls 1 outside of his destroyed statue, and hey, that destroyed statue is holding a spear very similar to Ornstein's.

Nameless King was definitely put in Dark Souls 3 just to be a cool optional bossfight that they also used to quell an old argument, but saying that it makes 1 worse is kind of projecting.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Digirat posted:

You forget that solaire is also a meme, which is justification enough for fans to go insane coming up with theories about him. It's also enough for dark souls 3 to believably include references to him that make no sense, since it has a precedent for doing that with anything that fans liked in dark souls 1
They should have expanded bringing back fan-favorites to include mechanics and world design.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, I am Gwyn's firstborn.

And also Spartacus.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Faux Mulder posted:

I don't buy that it would introduce the concept of a demigod's missing son and then just leave that question completely unaddressed within the text.

Why not? There are tons of details that are hinted vaguely at but never really answered, especially regarding the pantheon.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Garrand posted:

She literally calls Gwyn her father and Gwynevere and Gwyndolin her sister and brother. Her resemblance to Priscilla creates some complications, but it's not like souls lore has ever been anywhere near direct.

she says it formally, like religious titles. . . Father Gwyn, Sister Gwynevere, etc.

shes his kid in a "we are all gods childreb" way but people are fuckijg idiot and think he hosed seath to make her or w/e

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally reckon Gwyn only actually has 2 children. The Firstborn and Gwynevere. Gwyndolin, Priscilla and maybe Yorshka are all full siblings but only half-siblings with Gwynevere and the Firstborn.

My theory is that Velka is Gwyn's wife, she has 2 children with him and then has a son with Seath for reasons. Gwyndolin looks enough like Velka that she can claim he's just unfortunately mutated, but the snake legs and pale skin are both things that match up with Seath and Draconic heritage, as is sorcery. Priscilla cannot be passed off as Gwyn's child at all because she's really obviously part dragon in a way that Gwyndolin wasn't, so that's why Gwyn's wife is never really brought up but Velka is. Gwyn's wife was struck from the records just as the Firstborn was almost entirely, but Velka was a goddess in her own right and stuck around instead of leaving like the Firstborn so people still remember who she actually is.

Yorshka is either Priscilla through time bullshit, another child of Seathe and Velka who Gwyndolin says is the child of Gwyn because he himself doesn't know about the Seath stuff. Or she's Gwyndolin's daughter by Priscilla, regardless of how Gwyndolin and Priscilla came about.

Velka being the wife of Gwyn also neatly explains why Gwyndolin's covenant punishes sinners. He's picking up part of her duties as a deity.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
why do people still act as if these games are some amazing deep tapestries of lore when they're just a bunch of cool stuff held together by a few overarching themes (and there's nothing wrong with that)

like, i get discussing the story/characters/themes/endings/etc, it's interesting, but there are holes and inconsistencies and stuff that's there just because the devs felt like it

solaire was just a nice weirdo who liked the sun a lot

RottenK fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 13, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RottenK posted:

solaire was just a nice weirdo who liked the sun a lot

That's wildly understating it but whatever. Just remember, while the lore isn't as ridiculously complex as some people think, it's not non-existant either and context does have an impact - in a world where the primary god is revered as the literal embodyment of the sun and fire, and actually exists, "liking the sun a lot" (and referring to it as your father) isn't just liking the sun a lot. Plus Solaire is a badass - he links the fire in his world - despite having poo poo gear.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

I AM THE MOON posted:

she says it formally, like religious titles. . . Father Gwyn, Sister Gwynevere, etc.

shes his kid in a "we are all gods childreb" way but people are fuckijg idiot and think he hosed seath to make her or w/e

I reckon she's a Gwyndolin illusion and kinda his ideal self

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

New Concept Hole posted:

You can actually save Solaire if you do the Spider Lady covenant and kill the bug that makes him go crazy. If you do, you can summon him for the final boss fight with Gwyn. I think Miyazaki said in an interview that he likes to believe that if you do summon him he goes on to link the fire in his own world (which is honestly the most :kimchi: ending out of all the characters in that game).

The big reason everyone thought he was the Firstborn I think was because some of his dialogue could've been interpreted as to refer to being a former god (along with the fact you can summon him for the Gwyn fight), and since there was no one else who fit the bill they just assumed it was Solaire. And then of course since he's a meme, everyone wants to keep believing in it despite FROM's attempts to tell people he's not really.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Solaire isn't the firstborn but he does show up in DS3 as the worm in smouldering lake

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always save Solaire in DS1 because he owns. He is well worth 30 humanity and his gear isn't good to kill him.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I always save Solaire in DS1 because he owns. He is well worth 30 humanity and his gear isn't good to kill him.

:hfive:

I AM THE MOON posted:

It's a bit of both actually, it's quite confusing:

Wiki posted:

Upon reaching covenant Rank 2

My Blade of the Darkmoon, thy deeds merit great worship.

As captain, 'tis my duty to honour knights of great accomplishment.

This is a wonder of the Darkmoon, inherited from my brother for this very purpose.

Please, take this. Thou'rt most deserving of it.

As a shade of Father Gwyn and Sister Gwynevere,

Persevere in thy knightly duty, hunting down the gods' would-be foes."

Selecting "Talk" after reaching covenant Rank 2

The Darkmoon Knights were once led by my elder brother, the Dark Sun Gwyndolin.

But he was stricken by illness, and leadership of the knights fell to me.

Then Sulyvahn wrongfully proclaimed himself Pontiff, and took me prisoner.

Oh where could my dear brother be?

If only he were here, I would be most pelased for ye both to meet.

As, most assuredly, would he."

Finished up Irithyll and Profaned Capital last night. The Capital felt really empty, and the Dungeon really glitchy - I knocked a few jailers into the level geometry and they got stuck, and those wretches just seem to completely ignore the existence of walls.

Got to Yhorm and I still had to look something up - the Storm Ruler was really annoying to use and I couldn't figure out the button combo. And in the heat of battle I was trying to do the Storm Ruler combo with a different sword :sweatdrop:

And Siegward got smashed in two hits, so... :smith:

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Guillermus posted:

If you're doing a longsword build his sword is just like the longsword, only better.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

DatonKallandor posted:

- in a world where the primary god is revered as the literal embodyment of the sun and fire, and actually exists, "liking the sun a lot" (and referring to it as your father) isn't just liking the sun a lot.

I thought that was a really cool glimpse into what people in that world believe and how they think about the world around them. I never bought it as a hint at a hidden plot point.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Solaire isn't the firstborn but he does show up in DS3 as the worm in smouldering lake

God-Emperor of Dark Souls.

If you thought the franchise was weird before, :shepface:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive:

It's a bit of both actually, it's quite confusing:

Finished up Irithyll and Profaned Capital last night. The Capital felt really empty, and the Dungeon really glitchy - I knocked a few jailers into the level geometry and they got stuck, and those wretches just seem to completely ignore the existence of walls.

Got to Yhorm and I still had to look something up - the Storm Ruler was really annoying to use and I couldn't figure out the button combo. And in the heat of battle I was trying to do the Storm Ruler combo with a different sword :sweatdrop:

And Siegward got smashed in two hits, so... :smith:

That's weird, Siegward drat near solo'd him when I summoned him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That's weird, Siegward drat near solo'd him when I summoned him.

Siegward seems to vary dramatically from one playthrough to the next. I've seen him die immediately, I've seen him facetank Yhorm. It's weird.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RyokoTK posted:

Siegward seems to vary dramatically from one playthrough to the next. I've seen him die immediately, I've seen him facetank Yhorm. It's weird.

I've had multiple playthroughs where he's dead by the time I've picked up and equipped Storm Ruler.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's the same as any other NCP, if they managed to get stunlocked they're doomed. It's also why the mimic can either slaughter that flame demon or get obliterated. I have some playthroughs where the mimic keeps ineffectually trying to grab the demon and meets the business end of the axe twice in a row and is toast. Other times he fucks him up with those flying kicks (and the skeletons help a bit too).

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I've had multiple playthroughs where he's dead by the time I've picked up and equipped Storm Ruler.

Same, but the first time when I had no idea about the Storm Ruler I tanked the boss while Siegward wrecked him. It's weird.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I really enjoy 3 and can't bring myself to play through 2. Am I broken?

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
Haha! The executioner's greatsword is totally a shout out to the Book of New Sun, right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PostEldar posted:

Haha! The executioner's greatsword is totally a shout out to the Book of New Sun, right?

Nope.
It's an Executioner's Sword

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dancer is such a good fight

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Guillermus posted:

Same. Isn't it odd that the only way to save a human from a bug is to feed humanity to a human/bug hybrid? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Fuligin posted:

Dancer is such a good fight

Agreed, the atmosphere and design of that fight is top tier.