Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Honestly it looks like just unappealing plating/photography. If he cut them into filets (or steaks) and grilled them it may look a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

it was very old and smelled horrible.

r.i.p. :(

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Every meat except for pork being spoiled before you even buy it is just part of living in the Midwest. If I get another fish I'll just tear into it raw because if I get sick I get to stay home from work.

Edit: I understand that it will do nothing to save me, but this is what it looks like without being sidelit by a monitor. I could eat it without closing my eyes.

Still pissed about not getting to gnaw the meat off the cheeks and then eat the eyeballs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 13, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Every meat except for pork being spoiled before you even buy it is just part of living in the Midwest. If I get another fish I'll just tear into it raw because if I get sick I get to stay home from work.

Just tell the knobs at the butcher store to leave the fucker frozen and if you come in and it isn't frozen get your money back.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Every meat except for pork being spoiled before you even buy it is just part of living in the Midwest.

Don't you have fridges or freezers in the midwest? You should try one, they're a great way of keeping food fresh for longer! The wonders of modern technology :allears:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The parts closer to the front were too rotten to be eaten even by me, so into the patented Purple Mystery Chowder it goes.

The kitchen smells like death but I still eats it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

The parts closer to the front were too rotten to be eaten even by me, so into the patented Purple Mystery Chowder it goes.

The kitchen smells like death but I still eats it.

Pro-tip: If your fish is "too rotten to be eaten", don't eat it. Jesus, dude.

Every meat except for pork being spoiled before you even buy it is just part of living in the Midwest.

I have been to the midwest many times in my life. You can't barely throw a rock without it landing in a cow pasture. My grandparents who live in WI grew up on beef and dairy farms and regularly eat the red stuff. If the only meat you can find fresh in the midwest is pork, you are not even trying.

Anyway.... 'dines are good and tasty fishes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are parts of the Midwest where it's a lotta pig and not much cow but that doesn't mean you have to eat rotten salmon.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are parts of the Midwest where it's a lotta pig and not much cow but that doesn't mean you have to eat rotten salmon.

Fair enough.

The point is please don't eat rotting fish.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's fine to eat rotting food once in a while out of sheer determination since you did pay for it after all :argh:

But you don't have to in 2016

Everyone is metrosexual now

Because it's 2007

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Lobster ate up a goodly portion of the grocery budget, today. Only picked five tins of little fishes to restock the work horde as a result.

Going full New England on supper tonight with ocean roaches, Boston baked beans, and fresh sweet corn sold to me out of horse feed bags in the back of a farm truck driven by a pensioner and man looking old enough to be his father.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I FUCJEN LOVE ROAST TURKEY THIGHS THAT IS ALL THANKS FOR LISTENING

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The smoked turkey drumsticks at Disney are p. tasty but not worth:

1. Being in Florida

2. Dodging stretch pant wearing land whales on Rascals.

3. Being in Florida.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Crazyeyes posted:

Fair enough.

The point is please don't eat rotting fish.

It just makes it more tender. Stop being so precious about your fish meat.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fish is good, sardines are great.
I had a can of King Oscar brislings on wheat thins with sriracha today and they were tasty. Bonus points for grossing out my kids when I tried to share with them.

naem
May 29, 2011

one of us one of usss

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Pickapeppa sauce on Riga Golds :yum:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My 12 pack of King Oscars Mediterranean should be here this week...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pickapeppa sauce on Riga Golds :yum:

I have both of these things and will probably try this soon. Thanks!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I have both of these things and will probably try this soon. Thanks!

Toss some grilled onions on there for bonus points.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This stuff is amazing on roast beef:

the yeti posted:

Braswells stuff is great if you get it on discount from TJ Maxx, and after you inhale all the fig preserves or mustard or whatnot you have a knockaround whiskey glass :dance:

This thread is the best

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My 12 pack of King Oscars Mediterranean should be here this week...

Finally

behold, my processed meats

I know you're jealous

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 18, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Finally

I know you're jealous

how much dem dines cost?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

how much dem dines cost?

My mom sent me those Wild Planets so that was a nice surprise! The KOs were ~36 on Amazon. I can't find them anywhere in South Bay. So easy to find in LA. :argh:

e: I've been eating a tin practically every other day

Oh ya, she's a dine mom. She's been eating dines for years and I never tried them until this thread a few months ago.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 18, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Finally

I know you're jealous

Please tell us about the cured meat sort of item on top of the WPs

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the yeti posted:

Please tell us about the cured meat sort of item on top of the WPs

That's Chinese sausage. That's what its called. Even in China.

They have different sausages (of course) but that type is ubiquitous. It's pork with visible pieces of fat, soy, nothing remarkable about the spice.

It's ok. Most white people have only ever had it diced up in fried rice.

You see it sold in corner stores and grocery stores in China usually kinda like this

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm making Moxie jelly right now. Putting twelve ounces of soda in a pan and deciding the high fructose corn syrup already there isn't enough so adding three cups of sugar to hasten the diabeetus seems pretty dadly.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Speaking of sausage, droëwors and biltong is delicious and also dadly as gently caress. That chinese sausage looks like droewors.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm a piece of poo poo and I made tempura today with some tinned sardines and other stuff. I burned my already eczema-riddled hand because the sardines had excess oil/something in them and it made my frying oil pop :waycool:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Looks fancy

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Bought a tin of La Gondola sardines in Escabeche sauce from the "Happiness is Portuguese Made" eBayer after reading the glowing review on Mouth Full of Sardines. Can't wait for them to get here from Portugal.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

pahuyuth posted:

Local grocery chain started carrying some Bumblebee dines I've never seen before, all labeled as "Wild Sardines" in fancier packaging than normal Bumblebee-
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hot Jalapeno
Mango Habanero

Picked up the Mango Habanero. Will eat in a couple of days and report back.

Finally ate the Mango Habanero dines. there were about 12 dines in the can, and about 6 chunks of mango. The mango itself was pretty bland for some reason, but there were hints of it in the dines themselves. It was mildly hot, not nearly enough to make me sweat so it loses points for that. Bones were not noticeable, fishies were meaty, and the overall sweet-hot taste was okay, but nothing great.

I give 'em a B-

What say ye about sea creatures in shells like mussels? I like to cook them in some white wine and pesto.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I recently had a can of Trader Joe's sardines in spring water, which I got just because they were on sale. I wasn't expecting much from them, but they were surprisingly good. Bigger fish than I would have liked, but had excellent taste and texture. I have avoided fish packed in water, but these were unexpectedly decent.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pahuyuth posted:

Finally ate the Mango Habanero dines. there were about 12 dines in the can, and about 6 chunks of mango. The mango itself was pretty bland for some reason, but there were hints of it in the dines themselves. It was mildly hot, not nearly enough to make me sweat so it loses points for that. Bones were not noticeable, fishies were meaty, and the overall sweet-hot taste was okay, but nothing great.

I give 'em a B-

What say ye about sea creatures in shells like mussels? I like to cook them in some white wine and pesto.

I don't care for mussels much but I eat most other shell animals.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I love all you 'deener Dads so here goes... I've never had any sort of oyster. What should I do?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do:

1) Napoleon brand smoked oyster in the sardine shaped can

2) Eat a raw oyster if you're near a seashore from a place that offers them, watch a video on youtube for how (basically you just slurp it out of the shell but can add a little of this or that first). A lot of fancy bars will have them, restaurants as appetizers, etc

3) Going through NYC? When you visit Grand Central Station might as well stop by the Valhalla of Oysterdom, the Grand Central Oyster Bar. It's been there for years. The oysters are surprisingly cheap. Stop in and eat five or six of them a la carte.

Do not:

1) loving oyster stew. There's this midwestern abomination that is basically oysters boiled in milk. It's atrocious both in concept and execution.

2) Eat raw oysters if you're not in a coastal town or city -- the exception being if you're in a HIGH END Vegas hotel

raton fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 26, 2016

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fried aren't bad, but basically try a raw one first to see what you think. They go well with copious amounts of dry white wine

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, fried is okay.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A raw oyster tastes:

1) Surprisingly sweet
2) Like the sea to a reasonable amount
3) A little like a clam
4) Different to other oysters depending on the type of oyster it is, possibly on where it's from but I don't know about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like raw oysters a lot better than fried. But I can see an argument for fried being a better first experience. It's hard to argue with anything fried and served in a big rear end roll.