Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Might as well share

It was a gang round, and I [Hank Hill] was the Don of a small group of assistants and low level staff called the Garbago Family. We decided we would make the barbershop a Sweeney Todd affair if people didn't pay up. After a bit of extortion and one moron assistant getting cut, we realized we could make a racket out of being an ally to other gangs. We simultaneously supplied information to security about other gangs movements, then made sweet cash off of other gangs paying to liberate their gang members through a hole in the wall. This went on for about twenty minutes before someone caught on, and another gang member tried to assassinate me, I put him down but I was shot in the chest and didn't have much time left, so I issued an order to start dismantling all the webs we made and turn the gangs on each other. It worked for the most part, as everyone's dirty laundry was aired to the server, which began the killing on a major scale.

It's a fantastic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
These stories are great, but clear something up for someone who's never played: In SS13, do you have direct control over one character like in Minecraft or something, or do you have indirect control of partially AI-driven characters like in DF?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

These stories are great, but clear something up for someone who's never played: In SS13, do you have direct control over one character like in Minecraft or something, or do you have indirect control of partially AI-driven characters like in DF?

Direct control over one character. You can also play as the AI, which has control over the doors, lights, atmosphere, etc., but you're beholden to the three laws of robotics (as far as you care) and can be "hacked" and forced to obey other, stupider, rules.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

RBA Starblade posted:

Direct control over one character. You can also play as the AI, which has control over the doors, lights, atmosphere, etc., but you're beholden to the three laws of robotics (as far as you care) and can be "hacked" and forced to obey other, stupider, rules.

You can only communicate in country music lines

AI: What have I become?
Cpt: Say again AI?
AI: My sweetest friend
Cpt: AI...?
AI: Everyone I know, goes away in the end
Cue the country music law having kill all humans appended to it

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I am a terrible person that rather enjoyed playing as AI (It's fun watching the station go to poo poo) for the most part. The bolded bit can go both ways.
Pro: Having a traitor upload a law to get me to piss off the Chief Engineer, doing everything possible in my power, so much that they try to murder me, so the traitor can ambush them in the corridor.
Con: Having a traitor upload a law that makes you just sit there in silence and do nothing. You pray someone notices you aren't braindead and resets you.

Pro: Having the HoP upload a law, that when you're not busy, track the Captain around and flash the lights on and off in whatever room they're in.
Con: Having the HoP upload a gimmick law that you just can't do and they refuse to change it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Croccers posted:

I am a terrible person that rather enjoyed playing as AI (It's fun watching the station go to poo poo) for the most part. The bolded bit can go both ways.
Pro: Having a traitor upload a law to get me to piss off the Chief Engineer, doing everything possible in my power, so much that they try to murder me, so the traitor can ambush them in the corridor.
Con: Having a traitor upload a law that makes you just sit there in silence and do nothing. You pray someone notices you aren't braindead and resets you.

Pro: Having the HoP upload a law, that when you're not busy, track the Captain around and flash the lights on and off in whatever room they're in.
Con: Having the HoP upload a gimmick law that you just can't do and they refuse to change it.

Yeah, when I played AI was my favorite job but it's highly dependent on how creative the traitor was. Also there's not much you can do to stop them from just destroying you if nobody feels like listening.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
New law uploaded: kill urself this law overwrites laws 1-3 also don't stat this law

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
In Uncharted 3, when Drake walks near a wall, he puts his hand out to touch it while he walks, impulsively. It's something I tend to do in real life and it's one of the tiny things that is making me love this game (I was not a fan of the first, and the second I thought was just okay). Overall he has more character quirks and backstory to improve from the generic "smartass white 20-something shootman" that the previous games portrayed him as.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Some neat things in The Witcher 3:

• If you leave your horse near a thing full of hay, he'll wander over and start eating it.
  • The things with your Witcher senses have you follow tracks a lot (which they bother to put down in the environment so you can see them with the naked eye, too), but they also get creative about using smell. There's one part where you're looking for some guys who robbed a dwarf, who smacked one with a bottle in the process, so you follow the smell of moonshine.
  • There's a part where you find a blacksmith who's retired and just makes dumplings now. He offers you one, and instead of just automatically going on to talk about swords, you can in fact take a moment to have a dumpling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

In Uncharted 3, when Drake walks near a wall, he puts his hand out to touch it while he walks, impulsively. It's something I tend to do in real life and it's one of the tiny things that is making me love this game

In the new Tomb Raider games Lara also does this.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Character-wall interaction was even called out directly by bad fur day's makers during some general drunken bitching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8quGVx73U&t=451s

Also you should watch the entire commentary series if you can. There's a whole ton of insight on the game, their rivalry with teams working on banjo kazooie, technical/design details, and all kinds of other fun stuff

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Anima: Gate of Memories on PS4 and it's pretty fun so far. The progression reminds me of Castlevania games due to all the weapons and accessories being found around the tower, there being an optional (but useful) merchant for buying healing items. You can also buy weapons and accessories but they can all be found in the levels. The cool thing about that is that when you find one it removes it from the shopkeeper's inventory so you feel like your making progress "catching them all" so to speak. Also, there is a good running quest with freeing the 8 prisoners in the Dollhouse dungeon, because they all say that they'll reward you, and they are all good rewards. It's not just a healing item or money for each one. One of the 8 Keys is in the shop for 20000 money, but one of the other seven guys gives you 20000 money as a prize so it's the games way of telling you "Go buy that key now". The others have been a guy who gave me the final backstory piece for the first boss[spoiler], the couple who gave me a [spoiler]very strong accessory that gave a massive defense boost and a man who claims that he will find me secret passages in his "Home" (a level I haven't got to yet). Also, each level has been a reasonable size, they are long enough to have variety in the locations, but short enough to not wear out their welcome. I'm currently just at the fights that immediately precede the second and third bosses, they're just really hard.

Also the bosses get cool backstories that I like.

Finally, Ego Mundus, the demon who is working with the main character due to being trapped in a book, has some funny dialog. At one point in the second level in the massive meadow, he starts singing the theme to Reading Rainbow but with altered lyrics based on being in a book:(and there are at least two verses and a chorus)

Enemies in the skyyyyyyy
I can launch them twice as high!
Take a look. I'm in a book.
Ego Munduuuus.
:3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Aug 15, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of my little things is replaying Shovel Knight. There are a lot of little things (Watch Me Dance!) but one that stands out from a mechanical standpoint is that if you die but kill the enemy with a projectile or something with a delay, you revive and still win. It's just a nice little detail. Game as a whole is remarkably tight though.

Reverend Jake
Sep 2, 2011
While showing the wife the fun times of Sniper V2 tonight, I managed to hit a Russian conscript right in the grenade he had on his belt.

God-drat. I think she's sold on it.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is one of those things where I rolled my eyes because it felt way too on the nose for me, but then I felt bad because my brain has been ruined by nerd media and it's probably a cool thing to find out for normies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Reading through old pages of the SS13 thread. The following two posts were back-to-back.

Houka posted:

One of the bugs that came with [painting] was turning pods invisible by painting them with plaid. It sounds really weird to repeat that to myself out loud.

UntilYouAreSoNude posted:

Than you to Gannets/Hufflaw for organising a monkey vs. humans arena match today, set to the Barkley Gaiden theme.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I don't think you are using that correctly. Besides that, he looked at if from a normal persons POV and changed his mind which is laudable. I mean I certainly hadn't read the novel when I played through it the first time, but I was aware of it and thought it was a cute nod.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Just Offscreen posted:

I don't think you are using that correctly. Besides that, he looked at if from a normal persons POV and changed his mind which is laudable. I mean I certainly hadn't read the novel when I played through it the first time, but I was aware of it and thought it was a cute nod.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Where does her harp go, anyway?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RagnarokAngel posted:

Inventory space!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Octodad: Dadliest Catch is in the newest Humble Bundle (which is fantastic BTW) and one thing I love about it is that almost all of the achievements are incredibly creative and often reward you for breaking the game's scripting or accomplishing tasks in silly ways, which is great since the entire game is about having goofy fun with the physics and controls. Like in the first level you usually finish it by placing your wedding ring onto your wife's finger, but there's an achievement for tossing it from a distance instead.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In Shadow of Mordor, creeping up on a captain that had bested me previously and hearing him gloat aloud about how awesome he was for managing to kill me. Unfortunately he was also awesomely vulnerable to stealth takedowns. :ninja:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

She turns it into the note.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alteisen posted:

She turns it into the note.

So she's literally harping on him?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Panel three has both at once THEORY BUSTED

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Brigador has a feature I didn't know I needed before now: a game speed control. I can slow it down to as low as 50% of its normal speed, and while this was intended to make controller play easier, it's meant that I can play the game as if it were a pure tactical game, taking the time to line up my shots and figure out where the nearest tanks are coming from and so on and so forth. In other words, it slows it down enough that I can process everything happening on screen very easily, and so I get to have more fun with it.

Mind you, it doesn't make the game a walk in the park - it still took me multiple tries to get through one of the later missions, but boy did I feel accomplished for both figuring it out and executing it. So many destroyed tanks! :toot:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StrixNebulosa posted:

Brigador has a feature I didn't know I needed before now: a game speed control. I can slow it down to as low as 50% of its normal speed, and while this was intended to make controller play easier, it's meant that I can play the game as if it were a pure tactical game, taking the time to line up my shots and figure out where the nearest tanks are coming from and so on and so forth. In other words, it slows it down enough that I can process everything happening on screen very easily, and so I get to have more fun with it.

Mind you, it doesn't make the game a walk in the park - it still took me multiple tries to get through one of the later missions, but boy did I feel accomplished for both figuring it out and executing it. So many destroyed tanks! :toot:

Options like that are some of the best things a game can include. Like Bravely Default and its encounter toggle. You could increase, decrease or turn off encounters. Grind all you want, then just walk through the rest of the game if you felt like it. Turn it off during areas with annoying enemies, or if you were screwed over and needed to run back to town then you wouldn't get ruined by an inescapable encounter. It's probably the best option to make a JRPG not suck.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Options like that are some of the best things a game can include. Like Bravely Default and its encounter toggle. You could increase, decrease or turn off encounters. Grind all you want, then just walk through the rest of the game if you felt like it. Turn it off during areas with annoying enemies, or if you were screwed over and needed to run back to town then you wouldn't get ruined by an inescapable encounter. It's probably the best option to make a JRPG not suck.

I personally don't mind lots of random encounters in jrpgs (they were beaten into me when I played through both SMT I + II) but the real godsend in those games are the auto buttons. Just press auto and it does the fight for you - free XP/macca, and if anything starts going wrong you can instantly stop the fight and take over.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I personally don't mind lots of random encounters in jrpgs (they were beaten into me when I played through both SMT I + II) but the real godsend in those games are the auto buttons. Just press auto and it does the fight for you - free XP/macca, and if anything starts going wrong you can instantly stop the fight and take over.

Being able to turn them off when you want to is nice though. Sometimes you just want to get to the end of a place you've already been without a thousand level one ghouls harassing you. Auto in SMT is a good way to die though, in DDS I fell into the habit of just spamming physical group-wide attacks to clear everything right up until I hit one of the end game dungeons and a guy with repel physical wrecked my poo poo before I realized what happened.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Being able to turn them off when you want to is nice though. Sometimes you just want to get to the end of a place you've already been without a thousand level one ghouls harassing you. Auto in SMT is a good way to die though, in DDS I fell into the habit of just spamming physical group-wide attacks to clear everything right up until I hit one of the end game dungeons and a guy with repel physical wrecked my poo poo before I realized what happened.

I've been there. There are Magic-Repel guys in Nocturne too, and - yeah. Yeah. Or enemies who get in a mudo or hama, and - yeah. You can't sleep through auto-battles, and it goes a lot faster if you memorize which demons do which. (Speaking of, I think it was Persona that started the mechanic where you can push a button and see what enemies do. That was a godsend.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Earthbound is still king because lower level enemies would run away from you.
You could catch them, stab them in the butt and get free XP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Earthbound was honestly ahead of its time in that regard - over ten years later they stole that for SMT IV (and presumably the sequel to SMT IV) if I remember right. Been a while since I booted SMT IV up, but I remember being able to whack the weaker enemies for pre-emptive strikes, and weaker ones could just be skipped...I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

Earthbound was fantastic because if you hit something low-level enough all you'd see is the encounter-start graphics and then it'd blip to the fight being over and a text box awarding you your sliver of XP and any item drops.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been there. There are Magic-Repel guys in Nocturne too, and - yeah. Yeah. Or enemies who get in a mudo or hama, and - yeah. You can't sleep through auto-battles, and it goes a lot faster if you memorize which demons do which. (Speaking of, I think it was Persona that started the mechanic where you can push a button and see what enemies do. That was a godsend.)

I still remember the first time I got mudo'd. I will always remember it. In Digital Devil Saga there's a zone that's a cruise ship(or was it a battle ship?) out in the ocean and inside are a bunch of piss easy encounters including these dumb skull guys. So I didn't save thinking "Oh, man this poo poo's easy" then one gets an ambush and proceeds to mudo everyone. The first time that skill ever hit me. :negative: several hours of progress gone.

Inzombiac posted:

Earthbound did it pretty well because they ran away from you on the overworld and they did it at reasonable levels too. DQIX did something similar, but you had to be so much stronger than the enemies that you'd rarely ever see anything but slimes run from you. FFXIV has a neat mechanic where if you're 10 or more levels above an enemy they won't aggro on to you unless you attack them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I still remember the first time I got mudo'd. I will always remember it. In Digital Devil Saga there's a zone that's a cruise ship(or was it a battle ship?) out in the ocean and inside are a bunch of piss easy encounters including these dumb skull guys. So I didn't save thinking "Oh, man this poo poo's easy" then one gets an ambush and proceeds to mudo everyone. The first time that skill ever hit me. :negative: several hours of progress gone.

:rip:

The best/worst part about those skills is that they just never work on the enemies unless you're insanely lucky, and it's never as satisfying as those enemies don't have to sit through the game over sequences.

I know that design-wise they help hammer in the fact that you're in a dangerous world facing dangerous demons, but they still feel like such cheap shots.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

:rip:

The best/worst part about those skills is that they just never work on the enemies unless you're insanely lucky, and it's never as satisfying as those enemies don't have to sit through the game over sequences.

I know that design-wise they help hammer in the fact that you're in a dangerous world facing dangerous demons, but they still feel like such cheap shots.

IIRC they have a 100% or near to it hit rate on things weak to them. Which is pretty much their only real purpose as far as I've ever used them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

StrixNebulosa posted:

One little thing I like in that game is that there's a vehicle called the Rope Kid, a shout out to Obsidian Entertainment's design director who posts online with that screen name. The vehicle is an antigravity bike, because rope kid likes bikes.

Anyway, I'm playing MGS5 and while I like to play non-lethal in the very few stealth games I've tried(I'm terrible at them), MGS5 is the first one I've played where knocked out people eventually wake up or can get woken up by other NPCs. This means you either have to extract them to your mother base or kill them to ensure you'll remain stealthy, and I frequently find myself deciding with a heavy heart that that Russian soldier needs his brains blown out, or that even though this guy told me where the Intel I need is i have to murder him. It's doing a great job of making me feel like a man who's becoming a monster.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or a weirdo who just kidnaps everyone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

One little thing I like in that game is that there's a vehicle called the Rope Kid, a shout out to Obsidian Entertainment's design director who posts online with that screen name. The vehicle is an antigravity bike, because rope kid likes bikes.

Anyway, I'm playing MGS5 and while I like to play non-lethal in the very few stealth games I've tried(I'm terrible at them), MGS5 is the first one I've played where knocked out people eventually wake up or can get woken up by other NPCs. This means you either have to extract them to your mother base or kill them to ensure you'll remain stealthy, and I frequently find myself deciding with a heavy heart that that Russian soldier needs his brains blown out, or that even though this guy told me where the Intel I need is i have to murder him. It's doing a great job of making me feel like a man who's becoming a monster.

Knock them out, kick them awake, then point a gun at them to put them in a ground holdup forever as long as you don't screw up (note that if you fulton from this state they will call out and alert people so knock them out or haul them away first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I was always partial to grabbing a sleeping man and throwing him off a tower then hiding the corpse somewhere. Eventually I'd just have a corpse pile and the whole base would be clear.