Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

The changes from ghost-catching to ghost-murdering and from fighting the EPA to fighting City Hall can't possibly be due to a massive shift (from 1984 to 2016) in what action movies are expected to be like. No, the only reasonable explanation is that a 98-year-old movie company, Paul Feig, and Ivan loving Reitman don't know how to make movies. Yeah, definitely that.

So it's an alright change because other films are doing it too?

This has already been discussed before: Walter Peck as a part of the EPA has more to do with giving him a way to shut the GB down. His failing is a result of power-tripping machismo, not his job. This is made clear when a room of experts (including those in a governmental capacity) side against him after hearing Pecker's personal fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

That ship sailed before you were born, I think. First Blood was 1982, Rambo: First Blood Part II was 1985. There are "Bad guys? Welp, better kill all of them with our weapons!" movies before then, but Holy Hannah are there a ton after then. I don't think it's an "alright change" but if you're going to update a franchise, update the loving franchise. People expect to see wire work and blasting things with guns. GB2016 shows the same level of interest as GB1984 had in the desires and motivations of ghosts (next to none, after a single attempt to converse non-confrontationally with the first ghost encountered in each).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You can't kill ghosts, they're already dead.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I am trying to remember the name of this Chinese cartoon where a ghost hides in an umbrella because sunlight will kill her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

homullus posted:

The changes from ghost-catching to ghost-murdering and from fighting the EPA to fighting City Hall can't possibly be due to a massive shift (from 1984 to 2016) in what action movies are expected to be like. No, the only reasonable explanation is that a 98-year-old movie company, Paul Feig, and Ivan loving Reitman don't know how to make movies. Yeah, definitely that.

afaik as per the Sony leaks, Reitman was basically forced off the project. He has a producing credit, but wasn't involved in making the movie. Granted I don't know how much that changed after Pascal lost her job, but I can't imagine he had much to do with the production itself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

afaik as per the Sony leaks, Reitman was basically forced off the project. He has a producing credit, but wasn't involved in making the movie. Granted I don't know how much that changed after Pascal lost her job, but I can't imagine he had much to do with the production itself.

He had literally nothing to do with it outside of pimping it when asked by interviewers.

quote:

No, the only reasonable explanation is that a 98-year-old movie company, Paul Feig, and Ivan loving Reitman don't know how to make movies. Yeah, definitely that.

Let's be honest, though. If it weren't for Stripes and the first Ghostbusters, Reitman would be remembered as a guy who makes bland, boring crap. He's not exactly a visionary filmmaker.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

homullus posted:

That ship sailed before you were born, I think. First Blood was 1982, Rambo: First Blood Part II was 1985. There are "Bad guys? Welp, better kill all of them with our weapons!" movies before then, but Holy Hannah are there a ton after then.

Not to jump down your throat but First Blood definitely isn't one of those "kill 'em all with weapons!" movies.

Your point still stands, although Cannon pictures as a driver of some of that cannot be denied.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Neurolimal posted:

This has already been discussed before: Walter Peck as a part of the EPA has more to do with giving him a way to shut the GB down. His failing is a result of power-tripping machismo, not his job. This is made clear when a room of experts (including those in a governmental capacity) side against him after hearing Pecker's personal fuckup.

Rewatching that bit a while back strikes me that having Peck and Peter have a solo scene before he comes back to confront the rest of the team does a lot of establishing how much Peter's ego sort of messed them up, too, as much as Peck's oneupsmanship in the power-tripping department.

If Peter had been backed up in that initial conversation with Peck by Ray and/or Egon, one of them probably would have defused the situation by NOT being smug and antagonistic towards a government worker who was doing their job, been more professional about the whole affair from the start, been able to mention science issues that Peck might have been wanting to ask, etc.

Peter's attitude towards someone in a position of authority sort of maybe directly lead to Peck becoming more severely antagonistic in response. Peck didn't seem too impressed with Peter at their first meeting and might only be feigning humor at Peter's teasing; he even seems almost disarmed by the "please" comment. But Peck's with the EPA not something like a FTC, so he's not super concerned with them defrauding their customers as opposed to the environmental issues.

This might be something about Peter's attitude in general? He doesn't respect authority over him, and even less so if they do not defer to or recognize his expertise or opinion?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JediTalentAgent posted:

This might be something about Peter's attitude in general? He doesn't respect authority over him, and even less so if they do not defer to or recognize his expertise or opinion?

Dean Yager hits the nail on the head when he says that Venkman sees science as a dodge or a hustle.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not to jump down your throat but First Blood definitely isn't one of those "kill 'em all with weapons!" movies.

Your point still stands, although Cannon pictures as a driver of some of that cannot be denied.

Yeah, I didn't expand my point as much as I should have. First Blood is definitely in the anti-authoritarian crowd of movies before and after (and is a better movie than most of those that aped it, including its sequels). That Rambo's non-lethal methods in the first movie didn't last beyond that movie say a lot about which way the wind was blowing, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Timby posted:

Let's be honest, though. If it weren't for Stripes and the first Ghostbusters, Reitman would be remembered as a guy who makes bland, boring crap. He's not exactly a visionary filmmaker.

I can't believe people lionize the guy who made Junior.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The guy made the greatest film of all time, if anything he needs more lionizing!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I am trying to remember the name of this Chinese cartoon where a ghost hides in an umbrella because sunlight will kill her.

Apparently there's a whole bunch of movies with that trope, since it's taken from classical Chinese folklore, and the Japanese have plenty umbrella ghosts as well. You'll have to be more specific, i guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Timby posted:

Dean Yager hits the nail on the head when he says that Venkman sees science as a dodge or a hustle.

Yeah, this is the impression that I have. Like, clearly he technically knows what he is doing; he has a drat Ph.D. He's like supremely cynical, though, and mostly uses his ostensible expertise to trick people or coast through life. You kind of get the impression that the university didn't realize he was doing ESP experiments until like that same week the movie starts in, which was totally a combination attempt to coast through his career by pocketing grant money under probably false pretenses and also meet weird college girls. You can see he's using his "experiment" as a way to talk up a girl who thinks she's psychic.

He's a grifter first, and a scientist second, which I think makes him a pretty interesting character because he is both of those things.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, this is the impression that I have. Like, clearly he technically knows what he is doing; he has a drat Ph.D. He's like supremely cynical, though, and mostly uses his ostensible expertise to trick people or coast through life. You kind of get the impression that the university didn't realize he was doing ESP experiments until like that same week the movie starts in, which was totally a combination attempt to coast through his career by pocketing grant money under probably false pretenses and also meet weird college girls. You can see he's using his "experiment" as a way to talk up a girl who thinks she's psychic.

He's a grifter first, and a scientist second, which I think makes him a pretty interesting character because he is both of those things.

At the same time, he improves as a character over the course of the film, in that he goes from trying to get into Weaver's pants as another lay to actually wanting to rescue her by the end. Otherwise It would be completely in character for him to bail out/take a supportive role after the mayor pardons them.

@Homullus: sure, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with the degradation. Also I can forgive the Rambo sequels, because John Rambo does a good job of fitting them into First Blood's theme and message.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan_Shore posted:

The guy made the greatest film of all time, if anything he needs more lionizing!

I liked Dave, but I wouldn't call it the greatest.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I liked Dave, but I wouldn't call it the greatest.

Your mother!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just don't get the new consensus that Paul Feig is a terrible filmmaker.

His directing style, with heavy improv, does not work for me. That is not to say that improv driven movies can work, but each scene that is improvised needs to have a beginning and an end that is set. That hearse scene just feels like lime Feig told them to improv about the car, no movement, just shot reverse shot, snoozefest. His humor is also only dialogue, he does not have an eye for visual gags, making the movie feel very superficial, humor wise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I imagine starting out with Freaks and Geeks spoiled him, as it was a collection of world-class talent at every level that knew how to do, shoot, and cut improv into a strong script.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Maybe I'll give it a few months after the reboot Blu-ray comes out before it's cool to like Ghostbusters again.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

Maybe I'll give it a few months after the reboot Blu-ray comes out before it's cool to like Ghostbusters again.

This reboot forced me into liking The 'Burbs more than Ghostbusters and in a way I'm kinda glad because there's no 'Burbs merchandise to waste my money on.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Avril Lavigne posted:

This reboot forced me into liking The 'Burbs more than Ghostbusters and in a way I'm kinda glad because there's no 'Burbs merchandise to waste my money on.

then tell me to me how i got this corey feldman action figure.

specking of old school tom hank movies and reboots i really like the dragnet movie. it was a slob and snob comady but it was IMO the holy trinaty of tv show to movie along with Brady bunch and addams family.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I rediscovered The Addams Family movie a few years ago, and it's now legit one of my favourite movies. The script is amazing, Morticia and Gomez have the best relationship, the tone is perfect and the cast are incredible. It's also hilarious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It also spawned one of the best pinball machines ever (the Ghostbusters pinball machine, not so much).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Dean Yager

Haydean Yager!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jack Gladney posted:

I imagine starting out with Freaks and Geeks spoiled him, as it was a collection of world-class talent at every level that knew how to do, shoot, and cut improv into a strong script.

Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I love that show so loving much. I had no idea it was improv heavy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there somewhere I can read more about this? I love that show so loving much. I had no idea it was improv heavy.

I learned it from the dvd extras--they say it in the commentaries a lot for certain scenes. You can tell when the kids are following the script in the episodes because the 70s-era pop culture and Detroit-area references come out so stiffly and uncomprehendingly. When they're just riffing it's much more natural. Franco apparently did a lot of weird poo poo that they couldn't use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow. I've had the DVD set forever and I don't think I've ever watched the extras.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I rediscovered The Addams Family movie a few years ago, and it's now legit one of my favourite movies. The script is amazing, Morticia and Gomez have the best relationship, the tone is perfect and the cast are incredible. It's also hilarious.

One of the neat things I always appreciated about the first Addams Family movie is the Fester plot. Like... The bad guys have this guy who looks JUST like him that they try and scam the family, and then it turns out that it's just actually Fester who lost his memory.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

One of the neat things I always appreciated about the first Addams Family movie is the Fester plot. Like... The bad guys have this guy who looks JUST like him that they try and scam the family, and then it turns out that it's just actually Fester who lost his memory.

Well in the script it's left ambiguous as to if he's Fester or not. But the cast really wanted him to be the real Fester, so they sent Christina Ricci to convince the director that they should change the ending. Christopher Lloyd didn't care. I'm glad they changed it though, and the whole thing is just this amazing coincidence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alan_Shore posted:

The sequel is way, way better somehow.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The sequel is way, way better somehow.

The sequel is great, no question: "Wow, what a ladykiller!" "Acquitted!"

I would say the ending with the baby goes too far, and it's a blemish on an otherwise great film. But it's a rare film that has an equally awesome sequel.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a matter of taste. The sequel is more over the top, and while it manages to hold it together it's still a bit more uneven. Also, the original is more Gomez-centric. They're both really solid movies in their own way, though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gomez is one of my favourite characters, ever.

*sings Swing Low, Sweet Chariot mournfully*

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nothing in the sequel can beat a depressed Gomez calling Sally Jesse Raphael

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

"And miss Gilligan!?"

OK I'll stop now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

Alright, granted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I guess I have to rewatch it, because I can't remember liking anything about the sequel aside from just seeing more Wednesday and Morticia, since my 11-year-old self was madly in love with both.

Also, rip Raul Julia.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

I guess I have to rewatch it, because I can't remember liking anything about the sequel aside from just seeing more Wednesday and Morticia, since my 11-year-old self was madly in love with both.

Also, rip Raul Julia.

This is as good a place as any to note that Raul Julia's final role was M. Bison in Street Fighter, a performance which singlehandedly made a phoned in 90s video game adaptation very watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

This is as good a place as any to note that Raul Julia's final role was M. Bison in Street Fighter, a performance which singlehandedly made a phoned in 90s video game adaptation very watchable.

Yeah, I know, and it sucks every day.

He was way too good for that movie.

• Locked thread